Confused in Calculating DPI>PPI>Resolution???????

Haymaker1a

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
I know this is a basic question, but can I get some tips on how to "properly"
calculate DPI, PPI, and (I believe its termed ) Output Resolution for
printing?
Thank you very much

DDavis1055

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
>tips on how to "properly"
>calculate DPI, PPI,
To make things short if your image has a resolution of let's say 800x600 this
means nothing in terms of print size.
The Dpi value tells the printer how many of these pixels you want per inch thus
giving it a physical size. No matter what dpi you use 150,200 or 300 you will
still have the same number of pixels in your image 800x600 there just spread
out more or less.

for more info go to "www.scantips.com"

Dominic Chan (@home.com)

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
It's actually quite basic. If your image has a resolution of 960x1280
pixels, and you print it at by 4x5.33", you are getting 240 ppi (960/4 =
240). There is something else called lpi (lines per inch) for half-toning,
but one does not need to worry about that for inkjet printers.

Haymaker1a <hayma...@aol.com> wrote in message
> I know this is a basic question, but can I get some tips on how to
"properly"

Ashura

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99

> To make things short if your image has a resolution of let's say
800x600 this
> means nothing in terms of print size.
> The Dpi value tells the printer how many of these pixels you want per
inch thus
> giving it a physical size. No matter what dpi you use 150,200 or 300
you will
> still have the same number of pixels in your image 800x600 there just
spread
> out more or less.

How does this work in relation to Adobe Photoshop?? I have version 5
and, for the most part, I resize my images using the print size feature,
but I still have to change the pixels/inch value because the image will
print out extremely grainy otherwise. But doing this also changes the
pixel size of the image.

Thanks.

Kim

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Daniel Pead

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
In article <19990610123338...@ng-fd1.aol.com>, Haymaker1a
<hayma...@aol.com> writes

>I know this is a basic question, but can I get some tips on how to "properly"
>calculate DPI, PPI, and (I believe its termed ) Output Resolution for
>printing?

Further to the other replies... If you're using an inkjet printer then
*ignore* dots per inch (DPI). There's no direct way to convert from
inkjet DPI to "Pixels per inch" (PPI) - inkjet models vary in their
ability to "mix" inks, vary ink drop size etc. and inkjet printer
drivers use all manner of tricks to enhance the output which make the
output "resolution" highly dependant on the content and colour of the
image.

--
Daniel Pead
Email: d...@octpen.demon.co.uk WWW: http://www.octpen.demon.co.uk/

DDavis1055

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
>If you're using an inkjet printer then
>*ignore* dots per inch (DPI).

Sending a 200 to 300 dpi image to most inkjet printers will work just fine.
This can also apply to Alps dye sub and others.

Daniel Pead

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99
In article <19990614151750...@ng-fw1.aol.com>, DDavis1055
<ddavi...@aol.com> writes

... you mean 200 to 300 *pixels* per inch which is only tenuously
related to the 1200 to 1400 *dots* per inch claimed by the printer.