Kodak Dc 290 software problems

Ron Coleman

Dec 16, 2000, 9:10:27 PM12/16/00
Just got a new Dc290 today and can't get the software to install. As
windows is building the driver database I get a blue screen and a
lockup. I downloaded the latest software from the Kodak website and get
the same thing "fatal exception". Running Win 98 second edition on a
dell xps t700. The usb reports it's working with no conflicts. Got any
ideas before I tote this puppy back to the store?

Ron

Big Bob

Dec 16, 2000, 10:13:49 PM12/16/00
You might try running the system file checker (start...run, type sfc.exe). Be sure to set the advanced settings to check for missing or altered files and to notify you, or it might just update the list. Look for any files that have been replaced with older versions of the same file, or are missing. If you find any, hope they are Windows files and point it to the c:\windows\options\cabs folder or the CD to replace the files. If they were replaced with newer ones, (either date or version number), just have it update the list but leave the newer file. Then run scandisk (standard) from windows and see that it shows no errors.

Also try using ctrl-alt-del to stop everything that's running except systray and explorer. Dell puts a LOT of startup programs on its machines, and one may be causing a conflict. Disable completely or uninstall anything that says 'Norton' on it, at least temporarily. You could also try running regclean from microsoft.com downloads. If none of those helps and it's under warranty, it might be easier to take it in. Either hardware or software problems can cause a bluescreen. Write down the error message also, not necessarily all the numbers though.

Big Bob

Barry

Dec 18, 2000, 11:43:03 AM12/18/00

I had the same problem and sent email to the Kodak support people. They
told me this was a common problem and to download the DC4800 software
instead. I did this and it worked great

--
Barry

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Barry

Dec 18, 2000, 11:42:54 AM12/18/00

I had the same problem and sent email to the Kodak support people. They

CaptJohn53

Dec 26, 2000, 9:43:09 PM12/26/00
Kodak highly recommends UNINSTALLING all previous versions and components per
their instructions. If you didnt do that, you still have the older version

Ron Baird

Jan 5, 2001, 2:00:21 PM1/5/01
Hi Ron,

Hey the DC290 is a great camera. Sorry to hear that software did not load
for you. I suggest you uninstall then reinstall the downloadable software
from the Kodak web site.

1 This uninstall procedure represents the minimal steps required before
attempting to reinstall DC290 Software.
2 Try the uninstall utility - From your Start->Settings->Control Panel open
Add/Remove programs. Search for the KODAK DC290 Software entry and remove
it.
3 Remove devices using Configuration Manager

1. From the control panel, select the System Applet
2. Select the Device Manager tab
3. Select the View devices by type radio button
4. Scan the list of items in the devices pane
5. Next, we remove devices&
a. If entry Kodak IFS present, select this and next press the Remove
key.
b. If entry Kodak Digital Camera controllers present, select the Remove
key.

4 Remove unnecessary files from temp folder.
a. Search the Windows\Temp folder for files of the form dc*.* (i.e.
dc290prp.dll, dc290hlp.hlp, etc). Hint: Use your File Find utility.
Delete the folders containing these files.

5 Remove Ring Zero Files - Note: Set Explorer to show all files.

Using the following table, search for and remove the following files:

File Name Path
Exportit.sys <Windows Dir>\System
Dcmnter.pdr <Windows Dir>\System\iosubsys
DcLps.sys <Windows Dir>\System32\Drivers
DcFpoint.sys <Windows Dir>\System32\Drivers
Dccam.inf <Windows Dir>\Inf
Regfsd.inf <Windows Dir>\Inf
Drvdata.bin <Windows Dir>\Inf
Drvidx.bin <Windows Dir>\Inf

6 Remove the following registry entries
Remove the following from the registry by executing DC290REG.exe

Registry Key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Kodak\DAIDCAM\DC290
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\SCSI\*KODAKDC*

7 Reboot your system

Start by turning off all programs running in the background except
'Explorer' (This prevents corruption during the install due to conflicts
with other active software.) Next, press the Ctrl, Alt, & Del keys
simultaneously. A window labeled 'Close Program' will pop up. Select one
program (other than 'Explorer'), & select the 'end task' button. Some
programs (such as Systray) may take several tries before they close down.
Once you have only 'Explorer' running, then install the DC290 software that
you downloaded from the website, by double-clicking on the .exe file.

If you need further help you can let me know.

Ron Baird