Duracell Ultra AA alkalines in digital cameras

geepondy

Apr 22, 2001, 9:13:54 PM4/22/01
I have read that the new Duracell Ultra AA alkaline batteries have a
lower internal resistance then regular AA alkaline batteries. I would
think this might make for better performance in digital cameras then
the very subpar performance that normal alkalines give. Has anybody
tried these out in digital cameras and if so what are the results?

Bob

Apr 23, 2001, 1:42:36 AM4/23/01
I was hopeful when Duracell and Eveready announced their new technology
battery with claims of lower internal resistance. I haven't done any careful
comparison but they don't seem to be much better than standard alkalines.
NiMH are still MUCH longer lasting (for the same energy/cell).

I haven't looked into the new Eveready titanium batteries. Maybe they're
better.

"geepondy" <geep...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Paul Rubin

Apr 23, 2001, 2:00:18 AM4/23/01

Someone did a test a year or so ago and found no significant
difference. The Ultra formulation has changed again since then, but
really, why do you want to keep throwing out batteries? Get a few
sets of NiMH and recharge them.

John Blackburn

Apr 23, 2001, 10:08:43 AM4/23/01

I have a graph from Duracell that gives some facts about internal
resistance. It describes the behaviour of a Duracell Procell, which is
not quite the same as an Ultra, but it demonstrates the problem.

Cell: Procell Mn1500 (AA) with 62 ohm load (24mA at 1.5V).
When new, the internal resistance is around 0.1 ohm.
After 100 hours use, the voltage is 1.1 volt but the internal resistance
has risen to 0.6 ohms.
After this time, the voltage of 4 such cells (4.4 volts) is enough to
operate my Casio QV3000.

EXCEPT THAT: the Casio's peak current is about 1 amp, and when 1 amp
flows through the 0.6 ohms of the cell, an extra 0.6 volts is lost,
reducing the voltage to 3.8 volts. Which isn't enough to operate the
camera.

No doubt the Ultra cell is better than the Procell, but NiMH has a lower
and more constant internal resistance than any alkaline cell of the same
size, and is capable of operating my camera down to 4.08 volts (as
measured). NiCd is even better as regards internal resistance,
especially at extremely high currents. But NiMH is good enough for
cameras, and of course has a larger capacity.

Note that, in most cameras, as the battery voltage falls, the current
increases. This is due to the method of regulation inside the camera.
Constant POWER (volts times amps) is provided by the battery. So when
the voltage is low, a higher current drain is needed, the worst possible
condition for any battery - especially alkalines.

John Blackburn,
London UK.

z0ck

Apr 23, 2001, 12:04:22 PM4/23/01
Tried them in an Oly 3030. They did, in fact, last better than "normal"
Duracells. In fact, they nearly doubled the performance of standard Alky's,
running nearly 7 minutes, rather than about 3.5. Not worth the money,
except when you HAVE TO HAVE that pic.

I ran this experiment at a Dog Agility show. My NiMH's died, and I needed
power NOW. Went and bought some of each. They both were a COMPLETE waste
of time and money. Never again.

Matt

Apr 23, 2001, 4:50:39 PM4/23/01
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:04:22 GMT, "z0ck" <z0...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Tried them in an Oly 3030. They did, in fact, last better than "normal"
>Duracells. In fact, they nearly doubled the performance of standard Alky's,
>running nearly 7 minutes, rather than about 3.5. Not worth the money,
>except when you HAVE TO HAVE that pic.
>
>I ran this experiment at a Dog Agility show. My NiMH's died, and I needed
>power NOW. Went and bought some of each. They both were a COMPLETE waste
>of time and money. Never again.

The key to using alkalines (if desperate) is to REST THEM OFTEN.

If you power down except before taking a shot, they stay good for
longer - once you drain them to shutdown, I blieve you lose a lot of
capacity.

And finally retire them to power a clock etc.!

--
http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm
JVC XR-W2080 based drives, problems, fixes, updates

John Nozum

Apr 23, 2001, 9:30:04 PM4/23/01

You have raised an interesting question. I have had questionable results
myself when it comes to the Duracell Ultra batteries. From my experience,
I think that they may only be marginally better than their regular
counterparts. I don't think that the difference is in proportion to the
prices. In fact, I had some inferior performance with a couple of garage
door remotes.

Whatever you do, do NOT get Enegizer batteries. I have had
significant problems with these batteries leaking. One day you can fire up
your camera or whatever and it would work fine, and then a week later, they
can be deader than a doornail--and leaking! Fortunately, I have yet to see
and remember a Duracell battery leaking.

Also please note that it is normal for digital cameras to be hard on
batteries. When I am doing shooting near an AC outlet,I often take my cord
with me and plug the thing in.

From John Nozum

John Ousterhout

Apr 23, 2001, 11:25:41 PM4/23/01
Almost two years ago I bought an Olympus D-450 Zoom. While I was waiting for
the NiMh batteries I ordered to arrive from Thomas Distributing I tried alkaline
batteries. CostCo alkaline cells lasted about 10 minutes, Duracells lasted
about 12 minutes and Duracell Ultra's lasted about 15 minutes.

My three sets of NEXcells (1200 mah) and the Maha C204F charger arrived promptly
and I've been completely satisfied. Actually, the NEXcells have exceeded my
expectations. I've taken over 7,000 images with the Olympus, each set of
batteries is recharged once or twice a week, and I've never had any problems.
It was a great $60.00 investment.

Only once have I managed to run down a set of these batteries before finishing a
32 MB smartmedia card. (about 80-85 images). Last Sunday I used the flash on
every shot, and had the LCD on more than half of the time and the batteries
lasted four hours and 75 shots.

I only have two sets now because last year my (blonde) daughter borrowed the
camera and when the batteries ran down she threw them in the trash and bought a
set of Duracells! What made it worse is that there was a charged set of
NEXcells in the bag.

- John Ousterhout -

In article <3ae380fe....@news.supernews.com>, geep...@hotmail.com says...

jam

Apr 24, 2001, 1:23:39 AM4/24/01
John,

> I only have two sets now because last year my (blonde) daughter
borrowed the
> camera and when the batteries ran down she threw them in the trash and
bought a
> set of Duracells!

No good deed goes unpunished. That must have hurt.

> What made it worse is that there was a charged set of
> NEXcells in the bag.

You're lucky she didn't find them.
--
Jeremy McCreary (remove the zero before replying by e-mail)
jer...@cliffshade0.com

Larry Richards

Apr 24, 2001, 8:07:17 AM4/24/01
On 23 Apr 2001 20:25:41 -0700, John Ousterhout <jou...@DIESPAMMERSDIEcyberis.net> wrote:

>I only have two sets now because last year my (blonde) daughter borrowed the
>camera and when the batteries ran down she threw them in the trash and bought a
>set of Duracells! What made it worse is that there was a charged set of
>NEXcells in the bag.
>
>- John Ousterhout -

That's not as bad as the wife that threw out the CF card because she got all the pictures
off of it and didn't know they were re-useable. :*>) I replied to the guy: "...and you are
still married?"

____

Larry
--

"POP"! Oops! There goes another synapse!

http://www.uncle-larry.com
http://personal.bellsouth.net/~larryric/

Capturing the world with my Minolta RD 3000

Do not e-mail me with spoofed return addresses.
Do not reply via e-mail unless previously arranged.
I alert ISPs of spam via http://spamcop.net

------------------------------------------------//

The.Central.Scru...@invalid.pobox.com

Apr 24, 2001, 11:22:48 AM4/24/01
On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 01:30:04 -0000, John Nozum <JNo...@att.net> wrote:
> Whatever you do, do NOT get Enegizer batteries. I have had
>significant problems with these batteries leaking. One day you can fire up

In 25 years, I've never had an everready alkaline battery leak.

Duracells, on the other hand....

RAUser

Apr 24, 2001, 3:35:58 PM4/24/01
><..........>

> No doubt the Ultra cell is better than the Procell, but NiMH has a lower
> and more constant internal resistance than any alkaline cell of the same
> size, and is capable of operating my camera down to 4.08 volts (as
> measured). NiCd is even better as regards internal resistance,
> especially at extremely high currents. But NiMH is good enough for
> cameras, and of course has a larger capacity.
>
> Note that, in most cameras, as the battery voltage falls, the current
> increases. This is due to the method of regulation inside the camera.
> Constant POWER (volts times amps) is provided by the battery. So when
> the voltage is low, a higher current drain is needed, the worst possible
> condition for any battery - especially alkalines.
>
> John Blackburn,
> London UK.

Good stuff - ever measured Li Ion batteries? Care to hazzard a guess as to
how they'd compare?