Developing Film in Paper Developer?

David1MI

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

From time to time I see discussion about this but most discussions were about
dilution and time. I am wondering what is the purpose of doing it at all? What
kind of effects are we looking for in doing so?

Is it just for convenience (of stocking just one kind of developer)? I
personally don't think that stocking 2 developers is that bad though, so I
guess there must be some other reasons for using paper developer for negatives,
but what are the reasons?

TIA!

Scott Dorsey

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

In article <19971209171...@ladder01.news.aol.com> davi...@aol.com (David1MI) writes:
>From time to time I see discussion about this but most discussions were about
>dilution and time. I am wondering what is the purpose of doing it at all? What
>kind of effects are we looking for in doing so?

I have done it deliberately, for lots of contrast and lots of grain.

>Is it just for convenience (of stocking just one kind of developer)? I
>personally don't think that stocking 2 developers is that bad though, so I
>guess there must be some other reasons for using paper developer for negatives,
>but what are the reasons?

No, if that were the reason, we'd all be suggesting Versatol.
--scott

Netizen

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

It's been a long time, but I do remember suggested dilutions of D76
and HC110 for both film and paper developing. I never saw any
advantage in using a single developer for these two processes, so I
never used either for anything except film processing.

davi...@aol.com (David1MI) wrote:

>From time to time I see discussion about this but most discussions were about
>dilution and time. I am wondering what is the purpose of doing it at all? What
>kind of effects are we looking for in doing so?

***(aldo)*|@|*(warf)*|dot|*(com)***

FotoDave

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

>> I have done it deliberately, for lots of contrast and lots of grain.

Hmmm.... could you elaborate a little more about the grains. I am looking for
grain effect also, and that's why I asked the original question because I have
a "suspicion" that developing w/ paper developer will give me coarser grains.
Do you literally mean more grains? coarser grains?

Also, do you have any suggestion for developing time using Dektol and Tri-X?
Will that give me lots of grains?

Thanks in advance!

David

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Dave Soemarko (Foto...@aol.com)
Image 21, Custom Color Lab & Digital Imaging
Southfield, MI
(248) 350-3882

Michael A. Covington

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

The reason to develop film in paper developer is to generate unusually
coarse grain. It's a 1970s thing... Tri-X Pan in Dektol.

--
Michael A. Covington http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc
Chairman, Computer Security Team, and

edinman

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97
to davi...@aol.com

I know that D-72, which is the Kodak formula that Dektol
is supposedly based on, was originally billed as a universal
developer for papers, films and plates.

Ironically, a 1940s-era chemical formula publication I have
actually suggests a higher dilution of developer to water
for film than for paper, although there is no reason given.

Grain was not seen as so critical when almost all films were
slow and most everybody used large format sheet film negatives.

It was quite routine to toss the films and paper into the same
trays to process. With the advent of high speed emulsions and
small format roll films, fine-grain developers became more
common.

If I could only have one developer, however, it would probably
still be Dektol or a similar substitute. With slower films I
am told it can produce quite acceptable results as a negative
developer. But, of course, the best thing to do is just to
experiment and make up your own mind about this if you're
interested.

--Ed

William Laut

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

:
: Ironically, a 1940s-era chemical formula publication I have
: actually suggests a higher dilution of developer to water
: for film than for paper, although there is no reason given.

I am conjecturing that the reason for the higher dilution is to slow down
the developer, so that the film can spend enough time in the developer to
avoid uneven development.

:
[...]

In his book, _Examples_, Ansel Adams discussed how he once used Amidol to
develop his negatives. If you can adequately control the process, you can
use just about any developer that will develop the film.

Bill

Gary Beasley

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

edinman <edi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I know that D-72, which is the Kodak formula that Dektol
>is supposedly based on, was originally billed as a universal
>developer for papers, films and plates.

>Ironically, a 1940s-era chemical formula publication I have
>actually suggests a higher dilution of developer to water
>for film than for paper, although there is no reason given.

>Grain was not seen as so critical when almost all films were

>slow and most everybody used large format sheet film negatives.

>It was quite routine to toss the films and paper into the same
>trays to process. With the advent of high speed emulsions and
>small format roll films, fine-grain developers became more
>common.

>If I could only have one developer, however, it would probably
>still be Dektol or a similar substitute. With slower films I
>am told it can produce quite acceptable results as a negative
>developer. But, of course, the best thing to do is just to
>experiment and make up your own mind about this if you're
>interested.

>--Ed

Back when I started you could buy a Tri-Chem Pack whick was Dektol,
stop and fix. The instructions were to mix the chemicals, process the
roll of Verichrome in the straight Dektol for two or four minutes
(don't remember which) the dilute the developer for making the prints.
Results were acceptable.
I have done Kodak High Speed Infrared in Dektol 1:3, about 4 minutes
at 72F and got good results, grain wasn't too bad for this film
either.