Ansco All Weather film?

Russ Campbell

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

A customer has given me a roll of Ansco film in 120 size, the only other thing
marked on it are the words "All Weather". There is no film speed indicated on
the dang thing.

If anyone has a clue on how to process this, and any other information on the
film, like whether it is color, b/w or tranny film, and it's age, please
e-mail me at:

Russ Campbell

Jean-David Beyer

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

--------------89B4FCABB4711D458326EF04

Russ Campbell wrote:

Probably past expiry date. ;-)

You probably will not need to know the speed (I assume the customer found
it in a camera obtained at a yard sale), but it would be good to know if
color or B&W. If it is color, I would not use C-41 (probably wrong and too
hot); you might try C-22 if you can find any (probably wrong, too). If no-one
else knows better, try processing it as though it were Tri-X and hope for the
best. It may be old enough to have no color masking in it (if it is color) and
you should be able to get some B&W prints from it.
--
Jean-David Beyer
Shrewsbury, New Jersey

--------------89B4FCABB4711D458326EF04

begin: vcard
fn: Jean-David Beyer
n: Beyer;Jean-David
adr: ;;;Shrewsbury;New Jersey;;United States of America
email;internet: jdb...@exit109.com
x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version: 2.1
end: vcard

--------------89B4FCABB4711D458326EF04--

Richard Knoppow

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

Russ Campbell <ru...@rcphoto.tiac.net> wrote:

>A customer has given me a roll of Ansco film in 120 size, the only other thing
>marked on it are the words "All Weather". There is no film speed indicated on
>the dang thing.
>
>If anyone has a clue on how to process this, and any other information on the
>film, like whether it is color, b/w or tranny film, and it's age, please
>e-mail me at:
>
>Russ Campbell

This is floating just out of clear memory and I can't find the
reference I want:-( I think this is Ansco All-Weather Pan, a
panchromatic box camera film sold to compete with Kodak's Verichrome
Pan probably dating from the mid-sixties. My Ansco references have a
gap between the late fifties and mid seventies (when the company
became GAF). At a guess about 8 min. @68F in D-76 1:1 should do. Old
film which has been exposed should be processed normally, without the
addition of anti-foggants since they tend to interfere with the latent
image and lower the film speed. The fog will have the effect of
lowering contrast somewhat and require longer printing times but
otherwise good prints can uaually be made.
I doubt very much that this is color film, it would say Anscochrome
or Anscocolor on it. The chemistry for old Ansco color processes was
published but unless the film had the secret of "life, the universe,
and everything" on it or you were _very_ bored it would hardly be
worth the trouble.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, Ca.
dick...@ix.netcom.com

Richard Knoppow

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

dick...@ix.netcom.com (Richard Knoppow) wrote:

This is an Ah-Ha. Looking again at a 1953 Ansco film handbook I
find the illustrations of Plenachrome roll film say "The All-Weather
Film" on the boxes and it is referred to that way in the text, missed
it the first time. Plenachrome was Ansco's Orthochromatic box-camera
film, similar to the original Kodak Verichrome.
Plenachrome was ASA 50 Daylight, 25 Tungsten. The ASA speeds still
had a 2.5X safety factor at this time so the ISO speed would be around
125. The developing times in this book are given only for two Ansco
proprietary developers of the time and I have no idea what their
formua equivelants are. However, the earlier Photo-Lab-Index has
times for Ansco/Agfa 17, a formula very similar to D-76. This
recommends about 10min @68F for intermittant agitation in full
strength develooper for a gamma of 0.8, which is rather contrasty
although probably about right for contact printing. For condenser
enlargers somewhere around 7 min would be right or about 10 to 12 min
in D-76 1:1. Getting some additional contrast may be desirable
considering the probable age of the film. The fact that it has
probably been overexposed a stop will help overcome the effects of any
fogging.
Good luck and please post back to tell us what your results were.

ArtKramr

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

>A customer has given me a roll of Ansco film in 120 size, the only other
>thing
>marked on it are the words "All Weather". There is no film speed indicated on
>the dang thing.

Preocess it as though it were Plus-X; 6 1/2 minutes in D-76.

Arthur Kramer

Hemi4268

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

Hi

What you have is a roll o fAnsco B&W film. Its about the same as Kodak
Verichrome Pan. It has an ASA of 100 and 6 minutes at 70 degrees in D-76
should work.

Larry