High contrast developer question

1 view

jwalla...@my-deja.com

Jan 19, 2001, 12:13:35 PM1/19/01
I am trying to process some Ortho/Litho plates, and the recommended
developer is "Kodalith A-B", but there is no photo store or graphic
arts supply house within 200 miles of here that carries this stuff or
anything similar.

Can anybody suggest a way to improvise, using a more commonly available
developer?? (I think I could obtain D-11, D-19, Rodinal, HC-110,
Accufine, etc., etc.) The objective is to get highest possible
contrast and highest possible resolution.

TIA, jwal...@karta.com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Nicholas O. Lindan

Jan 19, 2001, 1:17:51 PM1/19/01
to jwalla...@my-deja.com
jwalla...@my-deja.com wrote:

> I am trying to process some Ortho/Litho plates, and the recommended
> developer is "Kodalith A-B", but there is no photo store or graphic
> arts supply house within 200 miles of here that carries this stuff or
> anything similar.

Freestyle in LA will mail the stuff out to you. They have a house brand
developer that works the same and is a bit cheaper.

In a pinch full strength Dektol can be made to work if the subject matter
is high contrast - Dektol won't work well enough for lithography.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio noli...@ix.netcom.com
Technical Management Consulting & Engineering Services:

holt...@my-deja.com

Jan 19, 2001, 4:22:01 PM1/19/01
Used to be a developer that went with TechPan film. I think it was
called LC developer. Don't know if that would help but it was pretty
high contrast.

Holton

filmr...@my-deja.com

Jan 20, 2001, 11:02:28 AM1/20/01
In article <949sjk$nbi$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>Here's a quick fix. Why not use a paper developer. It is loaded up
with restrainer and will result in a very high contrast film
neg. but it will require lower concentrations and very low
temperatures. Here's a starting point. Use a liquid concentrate
developer and mix it to about .7 of it normal concentration. Develope
the film with the developer cooled to 12 degrees C for 4 min. Don't
worry about the temp. of the developer rising during processing, just
keep it consistant during each test. If you want more contrast
increase the concentration and lower starting temperature. If you
are not getting even looking negs you will have to increase the
processing time and further reduce temperature. Good luck.

Greg Miller
Film Rescue International

Nigel Vellam

Jan 21, 2001, 5:27:40 AM1/21/01
writes
Try Ilford FF contrast if it's still available.
--
Nigel Vellam

PHOTO-TECH

Jan 21, 2001, 5:46:35 AM1/21/01
On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:22:01 GMT, holt...@my-deja.com wrote:

>Used to be a developer that went with TechPan film. I think it was
>called LC developer. Don't know if that would help but it was pretty
>high contrast.
>
>Holton

Actually the "LC" was for Low Contrast. IMO it was far better
than the current liquid Technidol. I once asked why it had been
discontinued and was told "People don't like to mix powders."
Strangely enough I happened upon some in a store which was going out
of business. It was expired by 5 years and still worked fine when I
mixed it up.

Regards,

John S. Douglas Photographer
http://www.photographers-darkroom.com