Developer 1930 era? Verichrome

RDHAdv

Jun 22, 2001, 1:05:55 PM6/22/01
Just received a roll of exposed but undeveloped Verichrome pan film. 1930's
era? Size 116 roll film. Would like to select a developer and time combination
to give best chance of getting a printable negative. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Robert L. Vervoordt

Jun 22, 2001, 5:31:46 PM6/22/01
DK-50 comes to mind. Try a clip test.

Robert L. Vervoordt
<rl...@mindspring.com>

Michael A. Covington

Jun 22, 2001, 5:54:00 PM6/22/01
Verichrome Pan or Verichrome (orthochromatic)? I'm not sure they had
Verichrome Pan yet in the 1930s.

"RDHAdv" <rdh...@aol.com> wrote in message

Michael A. Covington

Jun 22, 2001, 5:54:36 PM6/22/01

"Robert L. Vervoordt" <rl...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> DK-50 comes to mind. Try a clip test.

Good point. HC-110 or Rodinal are also good possibilities because they
don't produce much fog. A clip test procedure is described at
www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110.

filmrescue

Jun 23, 2001, 12:21:53 AM6/23/01
We get between 20 to 40 old rolls of B&W film in each month for processing. These rolls on occasion date as far back as to the 1920's up to the late 60's. On properly exposed roll film we are getting
around 99% success on the newer ones going down to about 60% on the very oldest. I'm not going to tell you how we do them but will give you a clue. When we first started doing this work we were using
D-19 in varying degrees of success. Over time this process has been further and further modified and what we have found is the more concentrated the developer the better the result. But in order to work
with these extremely potent developers we ended up dropping our time to such a very small amount that getting even development was impossible. We were doing some clips down as short as a 45 second
development. The result was good but the artifacting was ridiculous. Even though at this point we were down to about 18 degrees c we continued to drop the temperature to a point I thought we would begin
to have a problem with crystallization. Fortunately with the formula we were using this was not a problem. At this time some of the film we are processing into a B&W negative, the developer is dumped
into the drum just after the top begins to skim over with ice. It has taken about 7 years of slow modification to get to this point but I am quite confident little more could be done to improve on what
we are getting.
One other thing that I will mention that is a huge contributor to the success you will have in processing this very old roll of film is how tightly the roll has been wrapped over these decades. The
tighter the better.

Greg Miller
Film Rescue International
Processors of old film

--
Posted from toshiro.sk.sympatico.ca [142.165.5.62]

F. J. Roy

Jun 23, 2001, 1:20:47 AM6/23/01
Don't worry about doing it in the dark.  If I remember correctly Verichrome PAN didn't come out until the late 40s or early 50s.  Check the label.

Francis in VT

Richard Knoppow

Jun 23, 2001, 3:59:01 PM6/23/01
rdh...@aol.com (RDHAdv) wrote:

I will first suggest you give Greg Miller (Filmrescue) a shot at
this. I've had correspondence with a couple of people who have had
good results from him.
Verichrome was Kodak's box camera film, an orthochromatic film of
about ISO-50 although ISO speeds were not used when it was made.
Verichrome was made from about 1935 to about 1957, when it was
replaced with Verichrome Pan. Verichrome was very good fairly fine
grain, more or less foolproof film.
Developers from the mid 1930's to mid 1950's were not much different
than now except most films too longer to develop. Most of the more
active developers in use at that time have developing times too short
for modern thin emulsion films.
I have developing times for D-76, DK-20 (an early super fine grain
developer) DK-60a (a photofinishing developer) and some others.
Time in D-76 full strength is given as 17 minutes @68F in a tank or
13 minutes @68F in a tray with constant agitation.
These times are for a higher contrast index than is used now so
probably 13 minutes in a tank is closer to the mark.
The advantage of Greg Miller's processing is that it attempts to
preserve whats left of the latent image and reduce fogging as much as
possible. His process is proprietary but I know enough about it to
think he knows what he is doing.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, Ca.