Fun with D-19 ......

Helling Bernie

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

Well, I finally mixed up the on-sale pack of D-19 and hunted around for a
developing time for my Fuji 400 neopan (outdated, bulk-rolled)....
Welll......
Kodak couldn't even supply a time for TRI-X for this stuff, (or whoever
the camera store called and claimed to be kodak...) so off to the fat red
book at the art school lab....
No luck either, but by cross referencing, I got a guess-time-ate of 5-6
minutes at 20c.... gave it 6,
Wow! that's contrast!
next time 5.5.....
I would guess 5.5 for tri-x

I read that stuffing Kodak anti-fog #2 into it can make one powerful
multi-stop developer, with NICE CHUNKY GOLFBALL GRAIN... (which is what I
use the out-date fuji for: 3200, 24minutes in 1:1 D-76 ) (or izzit
straight? naw it must be 1:1 ) Makes for nice night shots of industrial
sites...

A friend in Detroit showed me a nice model shot blown up from 35M with
push, and the skin was one continuous tone of visible dots, like a
graphic screen, very nice effect, better than soft focus, guess it would
look great on industrial wastelands too :>

However.... pushing TRI-X or HP5 to some awfull high speed using a
modified D-19 sounds fun...
How much anti-fog #2, what times for 3 and 4 stop pushes???
any other easy to make "rocket fuel" out there????

:>
B/H.