Dry pet food recalled due to harboring Salmonella

ulti...@live.com

Sep 15, 2008, 9:10:01 AM9/15/08
http://consumerist.com/5048263/14-brands-of-pet-food-recalled

Mars Petcare US is recalling 14 brands of dry dog and cat food made
between February and July of this year, after two people who may have
had contact with some of the food became infected with Salmonella. If
you feed your dog or cat any of the brands listed below, here's how to
check the package code.

Recalled brands:

* Pedigree
* Ol' Roy
* Retriever
* Paws & Claws
* Member's Mark
* Natural Dog Food
* Natural Cat Food
* Doggy Bag
* PMI Nutrition
* Red Flannel
* PetPride
* Special Kitty
* Country Acres
* Wegman's Bruiser
* Wegman's Buju & Ziggie

To check whether the package you have is part of the recall, look at
the code under the "Best Before" date.

(more info on site)

Message has been deleted

Mark Anderson

Sep 16, 2008, 1:03:12 AM9/16/08
In article lett...@invalid.com says...
> Has anyone noticed that almost all of these contaminated and recalled
> human and pet foods in recent years is ALWAYS the stuff sold at
> Walmart. Just one of several reasons I will not buy any foods from
> Walmart anymore.
>
> The following are sold at Walmart

> * Pedigree
> * Ol' Roy
> * PetPride
> * Special Kitty

Pedigree is sold at more stores than Wal Mart. I'm not sure about the
others. My dogs only get the 40lb bags of Pedigree small chunks dry
food. I did check one of the new bags I bought a few weeks ago but
haven't yet opened and it had a use by date of 09/2009. Consumerists
say the Pedigree bags in question have a use by date of 02/2009. Since
February 2009 is only a few months away (imagine that) most likely all
the recalled bags have already been eaten. I have a dry food bin so I
throw out the bag once the old food is gone and the new food goes into
the bin but it is very possible that my last bag was use by 02/2009 or
the bag before that. So far my dogs haven't gotten sick.

Perhaps Wal Mart sells old bags of pet food -- I don't know. I refuse
to shop at a store who has done much, including lobbying Washington, to
sell out America to the Chinese for a few pieces of silver.

ObFrugalLiving: I don't actually throw out the old bag, I use it as a
garbage bag. These bags have a thick plastic liner that make for a
fantastic garbage bag since nothing ever leaks out of them.

Sep 16, 2008, 1:37:45 AM9/16/08

"Mark Anderson" <m...@nospambrandylion.com> wrote in message

> In article lett...@invalid.com says...
>> Has anyone noticed that almost all of these contaminated and recalled
>> human and pet foods in recent years is ALWAYS the stuff sold at
>> Walmart. Just one of several reasons I will not buy any foods from
>> Walmart anymore.
>>
>> The following are sold at Walmart
>> * Pedigree
>> * Ol' Roy
>> * PetPride
>> * Special Kitty

My two cats were poisoned last March by the Special Kitty (Walmart) pouch
brand. They both lived, but they're still on meds and I'm out over $3k and
climbing. I still buy pouch cat food at Walmart, but only Purina brand,
since Purina (supposedly) controls all the ingredients of their products,
and nothing comes from China.

Message has been deleted

Sep 16, 2008, 1:20:33 PM9/16/08

<black...@spiders.com> wrote in message
> I'll agree that Purina is good feed, but I'd bet you can get it
> cheaper somewhere other than Walmart.

No other store around here sells the pouches cheaper than Walmart. I don't
like Walmart either, but I will always shop where the prices are lowest.

George

Sep 16, 2008, 1:27:34 PM9/16/08
So far, Walmart will keep on demanding lower prices to maintain their
margin each time they reorder as they do with all of their suppliers
and who knows what the supplier will do. Supporting Walmart only
encourages this type of behavior.
Message has been deleted

Sep 16, 2008, 4:50:59 PM9/16/08

> Walmart wants you to believe they are
> cheaper, but are they really? Yes, some items are cheaper, but many
> are the same or more.

Well, for me the Wal-Mart is the closest store, and MUCH cheaper on
everything I buy (except meat) than the grocery stores, so yeah, they are
cheaper. Granted, I buy practically no packaged food of any kind except for
pet food, and I get my meat once a month from the butcher, so I don't really
buy that much at Walmart. We grow most of our veg and we don't eat grains,
so dairy and fruit are pretty much the only things we buy from Walmart.

Siskuwihane

Sep 16, 2008, 7:08:08 PM9/16/08
On Sep 16, 12:45 am, letter...@invalid.com wrote:
> Has anyone noticed that almost all of these contaminated and recalled
> human and pet foods in recent years is ALWAYS the stuff sold at
> Walmart.  Just one of several reasons I will not buy any foods from
> Walmart anymore.
>
> The following are sold at Walmart
> * Pedigree
> * Ol' Roy
> * PetPride
> * Special Kitty
> (possibly more)- Hide quoted text -

And a dog would be better off eating cardboard than Ol' Roy.

krw

Sep 16, 2008, 7:48:25 PM9/16/08
In article <l8uvc4tjfk53fin6q...@4ax.com>,
black...@spiders.com says...
> I look for the cheapest prices too, but I'm not willing to sell out my
> country for a few pennies.

I hope your shoes don't have a swoosh on them.

> The cost of Purina cat food is 46 cents
> more at a local feed mill. The feed mill is closer, so I save those
> pennies in gas. At the same time, I can buy mens socks at Dollar
> General (a bag of 6 pairs) for almost $2 less than at Walmart, and
> it's the same brand.

...and what country were they made in?

> There again, Dollar General is closer than
> Walmart so I save more on gas. Walmart wants you to believe they are

> cheaper, but are they really? Yes, some items are cheaper, but many

> are the same or more. Most of their food is quite a bit more than the
> local grocery store. Motor Oil for my car is around 70 cents more per
> quart at Walmart than at Dollar General. Both are Penzoil of the same
> grade. The generic oil at Walmart is more than a dollar more per
> quart. I only go to Walmart when I need something at 2am and it's
> critical, such as toilet paper. I do everything to avoid that place.
> They are ruining the economy and our country.

Nonsense. If anyone is at fault, it's you for shopping at a place
you so despise. Hypocrite!

--
Keith