Man-eating Alligator

Rob Jenkins

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
I just got a forwarded email with a pic of an alligator that had eaten a
human and a short story of how it happened. It says it was a golfer in
Florida. Does anyone know the story behind this? Is it the real story?
The picture looks very real. Does anyone want to see the pic here?

--
Rob Jenkins
http://www.herpcam.com

http://www.herptopia.com
webm...@herptopia.com

James Strompolis

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
Last time I saw that pic, it was supposed to be an American Crocodile. It's
almost certainly a picture of a Saltwater Crocodile and who knows the real
story behind it. It's probably a picture from Australia. It definitely
looks like a real human fatality, the stories behind the pic I've heard so
far have been B.S.

--

James Strompolis
Aleph Consultants, Inc.

deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

"Rob Jenkins" <jen...@zma.attmil.ne.jp> wrote in message

Dan Schneider

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
I think this picture has been around for a while. Someone mentioned it in
the past on this newsgroup. I think the picture is fake.
--
~Dan Schneider

Alberto Batista

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
There have been several Alligator incidents in Florida, but none recently
except for a Seminole Indian who was Alligator Wrestling (That was his job
at a Reptile Show) and lost a finger about three months ago. A golfer being
eaten would be on the news, and nothing like that has happened in at least a
few years that I can remember. Anyone can scan a photo from a book or
magazine and claim it is a recent event.

Nathan Tenny

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
In article <u8iCeJ4h$GA.89@cpmsnbbsa04>,

Dan Schneider <da...@telebot.net> wrote:
>I think this picture has been around for a while. Someone mentioned it in
>the past on this newsgroup. I think the picture is fake.

This is the picture with the crocodilian cut open and a human arm being
taken out, right?

If it's a fake, it's a *damn* good fake in terms of lighting, seamlessness,
and so on---either it's a real picture staged with a mannequin arm or
something, or someone is *really* good at image editing, and it's hard to
see why someone who was that good would spend their time on pranks like
this rather than, say, doing professional special effects.

I've discussed it with some very knowledgeable crocodilian people; the
consensus was that it was a real picture, but from the recent disastrous
flooding in Indonesia, during which any number of drowning victims were
found by saltwater crocs and other aquatic predators---thus the picture
isn't faked, but the story about a golfer being eaten is complete fiction.

NT
--
Nathan Tenny | Words I carry in my pocket, where they
Qualcomm, Inc., San Diego, CA | breed like white mice.

brad uhrig

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
I have a tape called Faces of Death from the 70's and it shows this
alligator that these wildlife agents were trying to catch and it ate
him!!!!!! it was sweet! Showed his mangled ass and everything! Shouldve just
left the thing alone! But I thought it was funny bc FINALLY the animal got
back at humans for messing with them!
BRad

Nathan Tenny

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
In article <39Ww4.942$R02....@cletus.bright.net>,

brad uhrig <its...@bright.net> wrote:
>I have a tape called Faces of Death from the 70's

Hate to burst your bubble, but most of _Faces of Death_ is faked.
<http://www.urbanlegends.com/movies/faces_of_death_review.html>
There's some analysis of the alligator scene specifically.

Shawn Murace

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
It's a big farce. that story has been going around a long time.
Shawn

"Whatever you are by nature, keep to it, never desert your line of
talent. Be what nature intended you for, and you will succeed." - Sydney
Smith

Teg

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
If you go to the Crocodilians Forum at www.kingsnake.com, you will see
that the picture you mentioned was discussed recently. Read Bill Moss's
postings revealing the picture to be a hoax and his documentation.

Skyfire

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
Ah man, you just ruined my favorite movie.

brad uhrig

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
Well I dont know this looked pretty darn real! I mean there was a reporter
on hand and everything and caught it on film! they threw a rope around the
gaters neck and it jerked the guy in the water and then you saw splashing
and they netted the body of the guy it was pretty sweet even if it was fake!
ôżô
BRad

Teg <origi...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Bob H (yup!)

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
The faces of death movies (and I saw them when they came out -- and got a
big kick out of them) were discredited a while back as being mostly phonies.
One of the girls crying in a scene sued the producer since her scene was
really from a non-fatal accident involving a friend, but was presented to be
on site at a gross fatality. She sued, lawyers rooted around, and the show
turned out to mostly be a farce. (I still like it though ;o)

/s/
BobH

Viper30029

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
>I have a tape called Faces of Death from the 70's and it shows this
>alligator that these wildlife agents were trying to catch and it ate
>him!!!!!! it was sweet! Showed his mangled ass and everything!

You know what's better? There's this alligator wrestler in Florida who put his
head in an alligator's open mouth. The alligator then snapped it's jaws shut.
So, here's this guy with his head stuck in an alligator's mouth. He's screaming
and struggling to get free, mean while I am laughing my ass off. What a fucking
idiot! I would never, ever put my head in an alligators mouth, no matter how
tame it was. Now this guy has scars to last him the rest of his life. What an
idiot.

Kurt Kunze
NEHS
http://www.neherp.com

Bob H (yup!)

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
;o) That one I too saw. So, I wasn't the only one cheering for the 'gator.

Did you hear the joke about he guy who walked into a bar with an alligator.
He took a stick and wacked the 'gator on the head; the 'gator opened his
mouth wide...then he dropped his pants and placed his johnson in the
'gator's mouth, and wacked him hard on the 'gator's head again and had his
pleasure -- all to the absolute amazement of the patrons in the bar. When he
was done and pulling up his trousers, he shouted out an invitation to the
bar. "Anyone who wants to try it, come on up!"

A timid man from the back replied, "Okay. I am game. Just don't hit me on
the head with that bloody stick."

/s/
BobH

PS It's only humor people. It can't hurt ya.

Viper30029 wrote in message
<20000306232116...@ng-ca1.aol.com>...

Joe Coulter

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
Did you see the one where the sky diver went into a croc pit? I mean 100's
of them. The Croc farm was filming and they had tourist's there when this
guy went in. Like pirahanas on a wounded animal.
Joe

Rob Jenkins

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
Man, bob, you got problems. Nah, just kidding.

I found the link that brad mentions. It's
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/brittoncrocs/attack.html

Sure is an interesting pic, though..

http://www.herptopia.com
webm...@herptopia.com