Introducing....

Debbie S

Aug 25, 2004, 9:31:35 PM8/25/04
Dice.

http://www.green-bean.com/bcrescue/dogimages/regular/100/45.Heidi3.jpg

She has those spots all over her body, the ones on the inside of her
front legs are red.

I told the rescue folks that if she didn't work out for me, I'd foster
her til she found a home. While she's not exactly what I thought I
wanted, I absolutely adore her and can't imagine giving her up. The
other dogs like her, Don is smitten... she's just a good fit. She's
taken to all the equipment, is willing to try anything I ask of her.
She takes hints from the other dogs, also, so I try to be sure she's
surrounded by good influences. She's so incredibly soft... her coat
looks like whelp coat, but she's not had pups. She was loaded with
worms, so maybe that's what's causing the thin hair on her flanks. I
'spect it'll come in nice and thick. She's 15 months old. Isn't she
cute?

Debbie

Leah

Aug 25, 2004, 10:55:26 PM8/25/04
> staf...@webtv.net (Debbie S) wrote:
>Isn't she
>cute?

Adorable. Is she a bc?

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/myhomepage/index.html

Suja

Aug 25, 2004, 11:20:46 PM8/25/04
Debbie S wrote:

> Dice.
>
> http://www.green-bean.com/bcrescue/dogimages/regular/100/45.Heidi3.jpg

Awww, she's adorable!

Suja

Rocky

Aug 25, 2004, 11:28:01 PM8/25/04
Debbie S said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

> http://www.green-bean.com/bcrescue/dogimages/regular/100/45.
> Heidi3.jpg

What a great dog!

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

Robin Nuttall

Aug 25, 2004, 11:36:07 PM8/25/04

Debbie S wrote:
> Dice.
>
> http://www.green-bean.com/bcrescue/dogimages/regular/100/45.Heidi3.jpg
>
> She has those spots all over her body, the ones on the inside of her
> front legs are red.

Okay, I'll sort of make a very bad stab at impresonating Liisa, but the
red spots are almost certainly where she would have rust markings if she
was a non-white dog. So the inside of the legs, top of eyebrows, muzzle,
etc. might be red, and the rest of the body black. Spots that is. With
lots of white. She's very cute, I'm glad you decided to get her.

Debbie S

Aug 25, 2004, 11:41:47 PM8/25/04

From: dfrnt...@aol.comMURK-OFF

< Is she a bc? >

Yep.

And if it makes you feel any better, the thread about your neighbor's
dog is what helped me decide to offer to foster. I owe the dog fairy,
big time, for Winston, Kira, Rush, Nikki.... :-) I'm boarding some
standard Poodles the first of Sept., and after they go home we're going
to offer to foster another dog {who will NOT be staying}.

Debbie

Child

Aug 26, 2004, 12:09:44 AM8/26/04

"Debbie S" <staf...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Wiw, she is really, really neat looking.

Is she officially a foster failure, or just unofficially?

Debbie S

Aug 26, 2004, 12:04:42 AM8/26/04

From: rob...@mchsi.com (Robin Nuttall)
< but the red spots are almost certainly where she would have rust
markings if she was a non-white dog.>

We figure her for a tri. She doesn't have any other spots where the
'tri' part would show up.

< She's very cute, I'm glad you decided to get her. >

Me too. She's just a joy to have around. Amazing what people will
throw away.

Debbie

Rocky

Aug 26, 2004, 12:21:51 AM8/26/04
Debbie S said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

> Amazing what people will
> throw away.

Oh, yah. It looks like you lucked out.

Debbie S

Aug 26, 2004, 12:27:12 AM8/26/04
From: be...@NOT-SO-bad-dawgs-in-ak.com

<Wiw, she is really, really neat looking.>

I think so, too. You should see her IRL. She just sparkles. </smitten
Mom talkin'>

<Is she officially a foster failure, or just unofficially? >

I let the rescue in charge of her know yesterday that I wanted to keep
her. She was a dog I was interested in, and they are short of foster
homes, so I offered to foster her while I was checking her out, and told
them I'd continue to foster her if she wasn't a dog I wanted for myself.

I _am capable of fostering without adopting. Just thought I'd toss that
out there. ;-)

Debbie

Debbie S

Aug 26, 2004, 12:28:52 AM8/26/04
From: 2dogs...@rocky-dog.com.invalid

< It looks like you lucked out. >

We sure think so! She's a peach of a dog.

Debbie

Shelly & The Boys

Aug 26, 2004, 1:04:57 AM8/26/04

"Debbie S" <staf...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Dice.
>
> http://www.green-bean.com/bcrescue/dogimages/regular/100/45.Heidi3.jpg

Yay! Dicey is here to stay! Bodhi is glad. I think he kinda liked
her. (Of course, he's really not all that particular, yanno!)
She really, really is very cute, especially for a BC. <grin>

I sort of figured as much when I first met her at class, but I sure didn't
want to let on to you about that! :-)
Shelly & The Boys

TO...@dog-play.com

Aug 26, 2004, 1:02:12 AM8/26/04
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:31:35 -0700 Debbie S <staf...@webtv.net> whittled these words:
> Dice.

> http://www.green-bean.com/bcrescue/dogimages/regular/100/45.Heidi3.jpg

yes, she is very cute. I'm gla she fit in so well for you.
--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/

Debbie S

Aug 26, 2004, 1:43:22 AM8/26/04
From: sn...@BADBOYSpacifier.com

<I sort of figured as much when I first met her at class, but I sure
didn't want to let on to you about that! >

I know y'all thought she was a sure thing, but I truly wasn't certain
until yesterday. Though I"ll admit I was 95% there a week ago. I had
this idea of what my BC would be, and Dicey ain't it. Kim asked what I
thought I wanted, and I told her I really wanted a high drive dog with
no issues. She laughed, and said 'You _love issue dogs! The more
quirks they have, the better you like 'em! Name one dog you truly love
that's normal." I just stood there sputtering. I hate it when she's
right.

Debbie

Abby Pennington

Aug 26, 2004, 2:52:19 AM8/26/04
staf...@webtv.net (Debbie S) wrote in news:6778-412D3D77-141@storefull-
3211.bay.webtv.net:

> Isn't she
> cute?

VERY! Congrats. :)

--
-Abby

Pems, Aussie, and a Pug

****Remove shoes to reply****

shelly

Aug 26, 2004, 8:32:17 AM8/26/04
on 2004-08-25 at 18:31 <staf...@webtv.net> wrote:

>http://www.green-bean.com/bcrescue/dogimages/regular/100/45.Heidi3.jpg

>She's 15 months old. Isn't she cute?

*way* cute! congratulations!

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

The Puppy Wizard

Aug 26, 2004, 9:23:33 AM8/26/04
HOWEDY Master Of Deception blankman,

<TO...@dog-play.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:31:35 -0700 Debbie S
<staf...@webtv.net> whittled these words:
> > Dice.

debbie s is a dog abusing mental case, like yourself.
Her own dog committed SUICIDE trying to ESCAPE.

http://www.green-bean.com/bcrescue/dogimages/regular/100/45.Heidi3

.jpg

> yes, she is very cute. I'm gla she fit in so well for you.

Yeah. IF she decides to keep it IF it "works HOWET.":

"Debbie S" <staf...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> I told the rescue folks that if she didn't
> work out for me, I'd foster her til she found
> a home.

> Diane Blackman
> http://dog-play.com/

Is "shelter / rescue / foster care" a new way to
SHOP for dogs?

lyinglynn writes to a new foster care giver:
For barking in the crate - leave the leash on and
pass it through the crate door. Attach a line to it.
When he barks, use the line for a correction.

- if necessary, go to a citronella bark collar.

Lynn K.

"Granted That The Dog Who Fears Retribution
Will Adore His Owner," lying "I LOVE KOEHLER"
lynn.

Debbie the Dogged

Aug 26, 2004, 10:07:53 AM8/26/04
In article <3376-412...@storefull-3218.bay.webtv.net>,
staf...@webtv.net says...

> From: rob...@mchsi.com (Robin=A0Nuttall)
>
> < She's very cute, I'm glad you decided to get her. >
>
> Me too. She's just a joy to have around. Amazing what people will
> throw away.

She's adorable!!!!!

Dogs like this are a great advertisement for rescue - whenever I take
Angel anywhere, people are always amazed that such a perfect little dog
came out of rescue, and I think it helps at least a few folks ("But
don't all rescue dogs have something wrong with them?") rethink their
attitudes towards adopting a rescue dog.
--
Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
"Lying is such a harsh word . . . I prefer to say

Stafford A. Rau

Aug 26, 2004, 7:05:00 PM8/26/04
staf...@webtv.net (Debbie S) writes:

> Dice.

Good name. But not Pig?

That'll do, Pig, that'll do...

--
Stafford A. Rau
<raudog> <@> <rauhaus.org>

Debbie S

Aug 27, 2004, 3:02:07 AM8/27/04
From: rau...@rauhaus.org

<Good name. But not Pig? >

No, I couldn't maneuver you into saying it was okay in time. Next time,
I'll just straight up ask. :-)

Now I've got to come up with an ILP name for Dicey, and I'm drawing a
blank.

Debbie

TO...@dog-play.com

Aug 27, 2004, 10:38:55 AM8/27/04
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:02:07 -0700 Debbie S <staf...@webtv.net> whittled these words:
> From: rau...@rauhaus.org

_____'s Not a Gamble

TO...@dog-play.com

Aug 27, 2004, 10:40:16 AM8/27/04
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:02:07 -0700 Debbie S <staf...@webtv.net> whittled these words:
> From: rau...@rauhaus.org

or
_____'s Take a Gamble

Marcel Beaudoin

Aug 27, 2004, 10:45:14 AM8/27/04
staf...@webtv.net (Debbie S) wrote in news:15761-412EDC6F-29@storefull-
3216.bay.webtv.net:

> Now I've got to come up with an ILP name for Dicey, and I'm drawing a
> blank.

I don't know the rules (if there are any) for making up names like this, so
if they are completely illegal, ignore me.

______'s Rolling the Bones.

______'s Shooting Craps

--
Marcel and Moogli

KWBrown

Aug 27, 2004, 11:03:58 AM8/27/04

________ Set'er Up (I know, I know, she's not a setter...)

________ Spot On

--
Kate
and Storm the FCR

Jess Knoch

Aug 27, 2004, 11:48:09 AM8/27/04
Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
> staf...@webtv.net (Debbie S) wrote in
> news:15761-412EDC6F-29@storefull- 3216.bay.webtv.net:
>
>> Now I've got to come up with an ILP name for Dicey, and I'm drawing a
>> blank.
>

> ______'s Rolling the Bones.

or _____'s Roll the Bones if you are also a Rush fan.

Jess

Debbie the Dogged

Aug 27, 2004, 1:08:39 PM8/27/04
In article <Xns955252105C688a...@130.133.1.4>,
arfenar...@hotmail.com says...

> staf...@webtv.net (Debbie S) wrote in news:15761-412EDC6F-29@storefull-
> 3216.bay.webtv.net:
>
> > Now I've got to come up with an ILP name for Dicey, and I'm drawing a
> > blank.

________'s Lucky Dog

Debbie S

Aug 27, 2004, 1:47:22 PM8/27/04
From: TO...@dog-play.com

<_____'s Not a Gamble >

Oooh, I like it!

Debbie

Debbie S

Aug 27, 2004, 1:50:01 PM8/27/04
From: mbeauI...@sympaINVALIDtico.ca

<______'s Shooting Craps >

I'd be afraid of one of the table 'incidents' that Matt talked about!
;-)

Keep 'em coming, I can sure use the help.

Debbie

Marcel Beaudoin

Aug 27, 2004, 2:04:37 PM8/27/04
staf...@webtv.net (Debbie S) wrote in news:19172-412F7449-31@storefull-
3212.bay.webtv.net:

> From: mbeauI...@sympaINVALIDtico.ca
>
> <______'s Shooting Craps >
>
> I'd be afraid of one of the table 'incidents' that Matt talked about!
> ;-)

I think that would be _____'s Shooting Crap. Or that might be more
applicable to the teeter incident that Sarah mentioned a while back.
Speaking of Sarah, I haven't seen her post in a while. Is she on vacation,
or does her new job not give her any time for newsgroups??

--
Marcel and Moogli

Debbie S

Aug 27, 2004, 1:51:58 PM8/27/04
From: arfenar...@hotmail.com (KWBrown)

<________ Spot On >

I like this one, too.

Debbie

Debbie S

Aug 27, 2004, 1:59:18 PM8/27/04
From: jessic...@mindspring.com

<or _____'s Roll the Bones if you are also a Rush fan. >

<choke> As in, Limbaugh? My BT's name is Rush, his first family named
him after RL. Even though he'd had a couple of name changes since then,
I went back to Rush, but only because I think it's a great agility name,
not because of RL.
I also want to be sure that whatever he achieves in the sport, the
people and coaches and trainers know who he is when he achieves it.

It's not nice to give up on talented little brown dogs.

Debbie

Marcel Beaudoin

Aug 27, 2004, 2:10:28 PM8/27/04
staf...@webtv.net (Debbie S) wrote in news:19173-412F7676-13@storefull-
3212.bay.webtv.net:

> <or _____'s Roll the Bones if you are also a Rush fan. >
>
> <choke> As in, Limbaugh? My BT's name is Rush, his first family named
> him after RL. Even though he'd had a couple of name changes since then,
> I went back to Rush, but only because I think it's a great agility name,
> not because of RL.

Noe, after the Canadian rock and roll band. One of their songs is Roll the
Bones.
See http://www.rush.com/php/set_flash.php?flash=1 for their official
website.

--
Marcel and Moogli

Suja

Aug 27, 2004, 2:24:12 PM8/27/04
Debbie S wrote:

> Now I've got to come up with an ILP name for Dicey, and I'm drawing a
> blank.

Since I don't know nothing about this business, I'll ask the stupid
question. Why are all the names being suggested along the lines of
________'s Somethingortheother? Is something like Roll 'em Dicey not
acceptable? What's the blank supposed to be?

Suja

Jess Knoch

Aug 27, 2004, 2:44:42 PM8/27/04

Yah, that's them. It's a good song and a good album -- the cover art is made
up of dice. I love dice, so it was an easy album to like (DH is the real
fan, though). You can see the cover at:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002IRM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Limbaugh... didn't cross my mind. (Is he known for gambling, or something?)

Jess

Marcel Beaudoin

Aug 27, 2004, 2:49:07 PM8/27/04
"Jess Knoch" <jessic...@mindspring.com> wrote in

> Limbaugh... didn't cross my mind. (Is he known for gambling, or
> something?)

Ummm, if you are Canadian, the closest you could come to Rush Limbaugh
might be Preston Manning. When you see him, kleep on going *way* to the
right. When you think that you have gone far enough, keep on going.

Note, this is my opinion based on what I, a canuckistanian, have seen
reported on him by the media up here. Most of the media in Canada is pretty
much liberal (as in left wing) so it may have been skewed a bit. There may
have been claims of baby-eating and ritual sacrifice in there, but I took
those statements as mild exaggeration. <grin>

--
Marcel and Moogli

Shelly & The Boys

Aug 27, 2004, 3:25:40 PM8/27/04

"KWBrown" <arfenar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Hey, I was going to suggest _______'s Spot On! :-)
______'s Bettin' Fool
______'s Luck Be a Lady
______'s High Roller

Shelly & The Boys

Jess Knoch

Aug 27, 2004, 3:28:45 PM8/27/04

I assumed it was reserved for the breeder's kennel name. For instance, my
limited-registration pup is named Old School Strange Breeze, where Old
School Mastiffs is the name the breeder uses. All of the dogs from that
kennel are Old School ____ or Old School's _____.

BTW, from what I understand, in the AKC it is a pain to "officially"
register the kennel name (it takes 5 or 10 years of use before you can
apply, IIRC), so people just use a name and require that pups they place
have it as a prefix in their official name. But it seems to work.

I don't know if Debbie is using her breeder's kennel name or not though.

Jess

Suja

Aug 27, 2004, 3:37:01 PM8/27/04
Jess Knoch wrote:

> I assumed it was reserved for the breeder's kennel name.

I was under the impression that Dice is a rescue, hence the need to ILP
her. So, a kennel name wouldn't be relevant here.

Suja

Debbie S

Aug 27, 2004, 3:56:01 PM8/27/04

From: mbeauI...@sympaINVALIDtico.ca

<Noe, after the Canadian rock and roll band. One of their songs is Roll
the Bones.>

Ah. <whew> Now I can quit wonderin' about y'all. ;-)

Debbie

Debbie S

Aug 27, 2004, 4:02:21 PM8/27/04

From: span...@scs.gmu.edu (Suja)

< Why are all the names being suggested along the lines of ________'s
Somethingortheother?>

It's not a stupid question! It's 'traditional' to use a kennel name
{which we don't know} or sometimes a person ILPing a dog will use their
own name, something along that line. One of my favorite ILP'd names is
NJGSDR's Hangman's Fury, a well known rescued agility GSD that went HIT
at last year's specialty.

< Is something like Roll 'em Dicey not acceptable?>

Of course it is. So far, I'm considering Rescue's Not A Gamble and Rock
N Roll 'Em Dicey. Would love to have more ideas. I can usually come
up with names, and have helped a lot of friends name their dogs, but
this one isn't coming as easy for me for some reason.

Debbie

Debbie S

Aug 27, 2004, 4:08:19 PM8/27/04

From: sn...@BADBOYSpacifier.com

<______'s Luck Be a Lady>

In a round about way, you may have just given me her name. How about
'As Luck Would Have It'?

Still ponderin'.

Debbie

Marcel Beaudoin

Aug 27, 2004, 4:19:50 PM8/27/04
staf...@webtv.net (Debbie S) wrote in news:5949-412F94B3-30@storefull-
3218.bay.webtv.net:

I like it!!

--
Marcel and Moogli

J1Boss

Aug 27, 2004, 4:35:13 PM8/27/04

>Of course it is. So far, I'm considering Rescue's Not A Gamble and Rock
>N Roll 'Em Dicey. Would love to have more ideas. I can usually come
>up with names, and have helped a lot of friends name their dogs, but
>this one isn't coming as easy for me for some reason.
>
>Debbie

Someday, some dog of mine will get named "Boss' Born to Run". Just don't know
when or who!

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Shelly & The Boys

Aug 27, 2004, 4:54:24 PM8/27/04

> From: sn...@BADBOYSpacifier.com
>
> <______'s Luck Be a Lady>
>
> In a round about way, you may have just given me her name. How about
> 'As Luck Would Have It'?

I LIKE it! I was trying to work the Luck angle in there, since
she was a foster...

:-)
Shelly & The Boys

Shelly & The Boys

Aug 27, 2004, 4:56:06 PM8/27/04

"J1Boss" <j1b...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Someday, some dog of mine will get named "Boss' Born to Run". Just don't
know
> when or who!

Too Cool...And the call name?

Bruuuuuuuuuce, of course! :-)
(Or Wendy, if a girl)
Shelly & The Boys

J1Boss

Aug 27, 2004, 4:53:24 PM8/27/04

>Too Cool...And the call name?
>
>Bruuuuuuuuuce, of course! :-)
>(Or Wendy, if a girl)
>Shelly & The Boys

Of course! I had a cat named Rosalita when I was in college. She went to live
with my roommate though, when Rosie and her cat bonded.

We're on this Peanuts theme with call names for dogs though, so who knows when
I'll get to use it.

Going to see THE Boss for my b'day - can't wait. It's been a year!

Rocky

Aug 27, 2004, 4:54:55 PM8/27/04
Debbie S said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

> My BT's name is Rush, his first family named
> him after RL. Even though he'd had a couple of name
> changes since then, I went back to Rush, but only because I
> think it's a great agility name, not because of RL.

I always thought that Rush would make a good BC name, and I've
considered it for my next dog. Up here, Limbaugh isn't
broadcast (that I know of) because of CRTC regulations on
foreign content, so people wouldn't automatically think "Rush
Limbaugh" when they heard the dog's name. I don't want a
"people" name for a dog, let alone a famous person's name.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

Mary H Healey

Aug 27, 2004, 5:18:03 PM8/27/04

Some of us who ILP the retreads use a "kennel name" anyway. For
example, I know of at least one other ACD named Sam-I-Am. But not ANZ
Sam-I-Am, which is how his LP with the UKC was listed.

I haven't done anything about Duke's ILP status (mainly because I'm no
longer interested in competing), but he'd be ANZ Something-Or-Other if I
did.

Rocky

Aug 27, 2004, 5:41:03 PM8/27/04
J1Boss said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

> Going to see THE Boss for my b'day - can't wait. It's been
> a year!

Well, yes. For most of us it's a year between birthdays.

Debbie S

Aug 27, 2004, 5:30:25 PM8/27/04

From: sn...@BADBOYSpacifier.com

<I LIKE it!>

Me too. I also like Luck Of The Dice.

Still not gettin' that 'THAT'S IT!' feeling, though.

Debbie

J1Boss

Aug 27, 2004, 6:05:05 PM8/27/04

>Well, yes. For most of us it's a year between birthdays.
>
>--
>--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

very funny. No, last tme I saw Bruce was August 11, 2003.

Shelly & The Boys

Aug 27, 2004, 6:44:48 PM8/27/04

> >Well, yes. For most of us it's a year between birthdays.
> >
> >--
> >--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
>
> very funny. No, last tme I saw Bruce was August 11, 2003.

I have to laugh...I read it the same way Matt did. ;-)
But, have a great time! I've never been, but heard the shows
are a Sight to Behold.
Shelly & The Boys

Christy

Aug 27, 2004, 7:53:51 PM8/27/04

"Debbie S" <staf...@webtv.net> wrote in message

What do those dice rollers say? Baby needs a new pair of shoes? Squish that
into 28 letters. ;)

Christy

Christy

Aug 27, 2004, 7:55:05 PM8/27/04

"Rocky" <2dogs...@rocky-dog.com.invalid> wrote in message

I don't want a
> "people" name for a dog, let alone a famous person's name.

And yet all your dogs (that I know the names of) are named people names.
Hmmm...

Christy

Christy

Aug 27, 2004, 7:55:56 PM8/27/04

> From: TO...@dog-play.com
>
> <_____'s Not a Gamble >
>
> Oooh, I like it!
>
> Debbie

Assuming you'll just be doing AKC with her, that's cute, but if you do
USDAA/NADAC, it might be a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Christy

KWBrown

Aug 27, 2004, 8:29:04 PM8/27/04
j1b...@aol.com (J1Boss) wrote in

> Someday, some dog of mine will get named "Boss' Born to Run". Just
> don't know when or who!

Very, very cool.

I'm hoping to name Embryo (whose mother is looking gratifyingly green about
the gills) Coastalight Sirius Black. It's just a matter of convincing the
breeder, who wants the word "Star" in each name, that Sirius is a star.

--
Kate
and Storm and Embryo the FCRs

Shelly & The Boys

Aug 27, 2004, 9:06:25 PM8/27/04

> Very, very cool.
>
> I'm hoping to name Embryo (whose mother is looking gratifyingly green
about
> the gills) Coastalight Sirius Black. It's just a matter of convincing the
> breeder, who wants the word "Star" in each name, that Sirius is a star.

Yes...especially with all of the Harry Potter hype the past few years!
There was a recent Terv litter that use HP as a theme, very cute.
And a friend of mine has a puppy (they're now 3 years old, going on
4) from a "Star" litter. The catch was that the names had to
start with "A"! The sire was Claire de Lune's Alphacentaur, dam
Twilight du Domaine Noir. There is Aurora, Agena ("Gena"), Antares,
Amancer de Dicha, and some others I don't remember. Talk about
having a hard time finding a name!
Shelly & The Boys

Rocky

Aug 27, 2004, 10:35:51 PM8/27/04
Christy said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

>> I don't want a
>> "people" name for a dog, let alone a famous person's name.
>
> And yet all your dogs (that I know the names of) are named
> people names. Hmmm...

1. Murphy's name wasn't my choice.
2. Are real people named Rocky?
3. Friday, ibid.

To tell you the truth, "Rush" is sounding good.

Suja

Aug 27, 2004, 11:07:43 PM8/27/04
Rocky wrote:

> 1. Murphy's name wasn't my choice.
> 2. Are real people named Rocky?

Does Rocky Marciano count?

> 3. Friday, ibid.

Can't think of any, although I've seen it in baby name books/websites.

> To tell you the truth, "Rush" is sounding good.

Now that it has been pointed out, that name will forever have bad
connotations for me.

Suja

Rocky

Aug 27, 2004, 11:32:17 PM8/27/04
Suja said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

> Does Rocky Marciano count?

Nope, his real name was Rocco.

>> 3. Friday, ibid.
>
> Can't think of any, although I've seen it in baby name
> books/websites.

I think that Friday is a cool name. You have my permission to
use it on your first-born.

Message has been deleted

Susan Fraser

Aug 27, 2004, 11:57:49 PM8/27/04
>There was a recent Terv litter that use HP as a theme, very cute.

Before the first HP movie, I was puppy raising a lab - I suggested "Quidditch
Challenge" and used call name "Seeker".

I don't think that's how the owner registered him, but he was called Seeker
(which was also pretty neat for a field trial lab, I thought!)

Susan Fraser, owned and trained by
BeBop a Lu SheBop SH,
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong MH,
and Gris Gris Gumbo YaYa
http://mypeoplepc.com/members/chinchuba/goldensinthenews/

Christy

Aug 28, 2004, 12:34:08 AM8/28/04

> 1. Murphy's name wasn't my choice.

Still..

> 2. Are real people named Rocky?

Yo, Adrian.
You never said REAL people.

> 3. Friday, ibid.

Never read Heinlein?

Christy

Suja

Aug 28, 2004, 12:37:16 AM8/28/04
Rocky wrote:

> Nope, his real name was Rocco.

I still think it should count. No one would know who the heck Rocco
Marchegiano is.

> I think that Friday is a cool name. You have my permission to
> use it on your first-born.

Heh. I can almost guarantee that it'll start a fight.

Suja

Debbie S

Aug 28, 2004, 12:48:04 AM8/28/04

From: span...@scs.gmu.edu (Suja)

<Now that it has been pointed out, that name will forever have bad
connotations for me. >

If you'll email me with your snail mail address, I'll send you a picture
that will set it right. A friend took a lot of pics of four of my dogs
in the tulip fields this spring. I have some adorable ones of my
'Rush'.

Debbie

Debbie S

Aug 28, 2004, 1:00:08 AM8/28/04

From: mlc...@mail2.sas.upenn.edu

<[kennel name's] Hoodoo You Do So Well >

I like it, think I"ll play with it a bit.

<I'm glad Dice found you. Welcome to the Dark Side.>

Thank you, and thank you, I think. ;-) Interestingly enough, only one
person so far has given me a hard time, which might be because I've ran
a BC for the last year or so.

This is a _fun little dog. She's been doing 'Where's your nose' swiping
her paw across her muzzle. We were practicing tricks today, and she'd
just done something wonderful so I whooped and hollered with her. I
next asked for 'Where's your nose?" and she was so excited that from a
sit she reared up, swiped her nose with both paws simultaneously, and
went into an instant down. I laughed til tears ran down my cheeks.
While I feel bad that her first family dumped her at the pound, I'm sure
glad they did.

Good to 'see' ya.

Debbie

Chris Jung

Aug 28, 2004, 6:57:24 AM8/28/04

"Shelly & The Boys" <sn...@BADBOYSpacifier.com> wrote in message

> "KWBrown" <arfenar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Very, very cool.
> >
> > I'm hoping to name Embryo (whose mother is looking gratifyingly green
> about
> > the gills) Coastalight Sirius Black. It's just a matter of convincing
the
> > breeder, who wants the word "Star" in each name, that Sirius is a star.
>
> Yes...especially with all of the Harry Potter hype the past few years!

Soren and I are Sirius, ahem, serious Harry Potter fans, we are now
re-reading book 4 (The Goblet of Fire). I like names that fit in many ways
such as Sirius Black for a FCR.

I know of a impish little sable smooth collie girl named CH Sunbriar The
Golden Snitch. Wow, that is a Great Name for a sassy smoothie bitch (I
should know . . .).

Personally I like people/animal/creature names - from books, history, folk
tales or mythology. A lot of collies are given Scottish names (there are a
ga-zillion Lassies and Laddies out there) but I like to go against that
trend. Silka was named for a German friend. Dino came to us as Dean but
Dino just fit him better. Besides there is an endless number of nicknames
one play off of Dino (Dino-rino-bambino). Zeffie was named after Zephyr, the
Greek deity for the West Wind. Pablo's registered name is Maighdlin
Picasso. We had thought of naming him Zorro with the registered name of
Maighdlin Swashbuckler. Lucy came to us as Lexi, registered name of
Starfire Mirror Reflexion. We renamed her Lucy partly because I think of
Lucy as a little girl name and since Lucy is a rich reddish gold sable, she
makes us think of that whole "I love Lucy" thing. That said, half the time
I call her Goose.

Chris and her smoothies,
Pablo and Goosey Lucy

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Debbie S

Aug 28, 2004, 1:55:21 PM8/28/04
I think we have a winner. Don hates it, say's it's stupid. I really
like it, more and more as I think of it.

See Spots Run

No connection to Dicey, but I think it's kewl. {The call names that
made the final cut were Dancer, Dice, Spot, and Pig.}

Debbie

Debbie S

Aug 28, 2004, 2:41:01 PM8/28/04

From: staf...@webtv.net (Debbie S)

< Don hates it, >

The Great Ruminator now says he really likes it.

Debbie
patient wife

Rocky

Aug 28, 2004, 9:27:57 PM8/28/04
Debbie S said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

> See Spots Run

> No connection to Dicey, but I think it's kewl.

Whadyamean - no connection? Dice have spots.

Shelly & The Boys

Aug 29, 2004, 12:09:38 AM8/29/04

From: staf...@webtv.net (Debbie S)

< Don hates it, >

>The Great Ruminator now says he really likes it.

Oh my.
It's late, I had 4 hours of sleep last night (hey, I'd probably
have a pretty good lesson, if I were to have one tomorrow! ha!),
and have spent the entire day w/ sheep, cattle, judges, dogs &
entrants.

What I READ was "The Great Ruminant now says he really likes it."
***********
I could not figure out *why* you were calling Don a cud-chewer.

BTW...I love the name. :-)
Going to bed NOW.
Shelly & The Boys

Debbie S

Aug 29, 2004, 2:59:46 PM8/29/04

From: sn...@BADBOYSpacifier.com

<(hey, I'd probably have a pretty good lesson, if I were to have one
tomorrow! ha!)>

Another missed opportunity due to wading in... well, you know.

<I could not figure out *why* you were calling Don a cud-chewer. >

I've certainly called him worse.

<BTW...I love the name.>

I do too, more and more. <hint> Unless someone comes up with one I like
better. </hint>

Debbie

Debbie S

Aug 29, 2004, 3:06:08 PM8/29/04

From: 2dogs...@rocky-dog.com.invalid

<Whadyamean - no connection? Dice have spots.>

Indeed. I don't know why it's not striking me as being _as connected as
Winston's name, Four On The Floor. {Winston Cup}
Or others I've heard. I had her Pig name, had her Dancer name, and her
Spot name was going to be See Spot Run. But I'm liking the Dice/See
Spots Run more.

Naming my kids came easier than naming this dog has.

Debbie

Aimee Nicole Schantz

Aug 29, 2004, 8:09:26 PM8/29/04

"Shelly & The Boys" <sn...@BADBOYSpacifier.com> wrote in message

> Yes...especially with all of the Harry Potter hype the past few years!

OK, I'll admit, my Harry is sort of named after Harry Potter. Or Dirty
Harry, or (despite not being one of the fluffy Belgians) the fact that he's
my dog with the most hair. I'm still trying to decide what to register him
as. It needs to be 'H__ du Dantero'

Just using Harry is kinda boring. I'm thinking either 'Hurricane Harry du
Dantero' (26 letters, but I think it will sneak by) or 'Hairball du
Dantero.' Or maybe just Hurricane. Or, I tried to think of something cool
that started with H from the Harry Potter books, but I didn't try really
hard to find something.

Decisions, decisions.

Aimee Nicole Schantz
Brando the APBT
Grant the AmStaf
Harry the Malinois
http://www.odnarb.com
http://www.rosecitydogs.com

Aimee Nicole Schantz

Aug 29, 2004, 8:10:06 PM8/29/04

"Debbie S" <staf...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Dice.
>
> http://www.green-bean.com/bcrescue/dogimages/regular/100/45.Heidi3.jpg

Gorgeous!

KWBrown

Aug 29, 2004, 8:54:46 PM8/29/04
"Aimee Nicole Schantz" <dontw...@spam.com> wrote in

> OK, I'll admit, my Harry is sort of named after Harry Potter. Or Dirty
> Harry, or (despite not being one of the fluffy Belgians) the fact that
> he's my dog with the most hair. I'm still trying to decide what to
> register him as. It needs to be 'H__ du Dantero'

I think you're going to have fun putting that together.

I sort of hate the "following the pack" aspect to naming a dog "Sirius
Black," but it is such a *fantabulous* name for a Flat-Coat in so many
ways, and I'm such a fan of the character, that it's very very tempting.

I'd take other nominations for a good name with the word "Star" in it,
though. Kennel name is Coastalight, it will (probably) be a boy.

Melinda Shore

Aug 29, 2004, 9:56:32 PM8/29/04
In article <10j4s8q...@corp.supernews.com>,

Aimee Nicole Schantz <dontw...@spam.com> wrote:
>OK, I'll admit, my Harry is sort of named after Harry Potter.

I had a horse that I named Harry Lou Emmis when I bought
him. His original name had been Honcho, which didn't suit
him at all.
--
Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - sh...@panix.com

Stephen Hawking is a flip-flopper.

diannes

Aug 30, 2004, 9:17:14 PM8/30/04
Christy <easily...@gtenospam.net> wrote:

>"Rocky" <2dogs...@rocky-dog.com.invalid> wrote:
>> 3. Friday, ibid.
>
>Never read Heinlein?

You beat me to it. How could ANYONE have not read Heinlein?

Dianne

diannes

Aug 30, 2004, 9:20:32 PM8/30/04
J1Boss <j1b...@aol.com> wrote:
> I had a cat named Rosalita when I was in college.

*THE* best Springsteen song ever. I like your taste!

Dianne

Rocky

Aug 31, 2004, 12:29:43 AM8/31/04
diannes said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

>>> 3. Friday, ibid.
>>
>>Never read Heinlein?
>
> You beat me to it. How could ANYONE have not read Heinlein?

I've read a lot of Heinlein, though a long time ago, and I don't
grok Friday in this context.

Suja

Aug 31, 2004, 11:03:09 AM8/31/04
Rocky wrote:

> I've read a lot of Heinlein, though a long time ago, and I don't
> grok Friday in this context.

I wouldn't claim to have read a lot of Heinlein (Stranger in a Strange
Land, Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Starship Troopers - a lot for someone
who is most definitely NOT a Sci-Fi fan), but ditto Matt's sentiments.
Had to look this one up.

Suja

Rocky

Aug 31, 2004, 11:37:16 AM8/31/04
Suja said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Amazing what a google on "Heinlein Friday" will turn up, and the
first hit no less. _Friday_ was published in 1982, though,
somewhat after my Heinlein-reading days (not to date myself).

Heinlein's Friday was a *gurl*, though! This is just wrong.

(Nobody has yet mentioned the correct fictional work, available
at the Gutenberg Project.)