ice water

Joann

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
Does anyone know if its ok for a cat to drink ice water instead of tap
water? My cat loves the
ice cold water.

Bulbasaur

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
Joann <dsti...@bellsouth.net> elaborated:
: Does anyone know if its ok for a cat to drink ice water instead of tap

: water? My cat loves the
: ice cold water.

Don't know if it will kill them but it isn't good for them (on a sidenote
it isn't really good for humans either).

Tigress

--
These opinions are mine, not those of Georgia Tech. It is the opinion of
Tech that I should be writing a paper on some topic or another.
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-' tig...@havoc.gtf.gatech.edu
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat drawn by Felix Lee

Becky

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
In article <7df7d0$n3i$1...@news-int.gatech.edu> Bulbasaur <tig...@havoc.gtf.org> writes:
>From: Bulbasaur <tig...@havoc.gtf.org>
>Subject: Re: ice water
>Date: 26 Mar 1999 05:53:36 GMT

>Joann <dsti...@bellsouth.net> elaborated:
>: Does anyone know if its ok for a cat to drink ice water instead of tap
>: water? My cat loves the
>: ice cold water.

>Don't know if it will kill them but it isn't good for them (on a sidenote
>it isn't really good for humans either).

>Tigress

Can you please tell us why drinking ice water isn't good for cats or humans?
I had never heard this before. Thanks.

Becky
rst...@indiana.edu

Melissa

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
Really cold water shouldn't be a problem, unless it's actually got ice in
it or has been frozen. Also, make sure that you DO NOT give it to
him/her if the weather is really hot, the cat has been doing a lot of
running around, or seems over-heated. Ice-cold water can shock the
system, and since, especially in cats, the esophagus runs right next to
the heart, this can lead to a heart attack, and death. My cat loves
water that's been freshly run from the hose outside (same as tap water
but colder), and also loves drinking out of a large bucket instead of
his normal bowl. I would say that it's probably not a great idea to use
water with ice in it, but that refrigerated water should be okay.
Have fun!
Melissa

On Fri,

26 Mar 1999, Joann wrote:

> Does anyone know if its ok for a cat to drink ice water instead of tap
> water? My cat loves the
> ice cold water.

Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.

Keep smiling!!

Bulbasaur

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
Becky <r...@indiana.edu> elaborated:

: Can you please tell us why drinking ice water isn't good for cats or humans?

: I had never heard this before. Thanks.

Sudden change in temperature. I mean I don't think it is horrible, but it
is one of those things like eating a lot of vegetables it is not as
healthy as drinking lukewarm water (which also absorbs faster in your
stomach than ice cold water). I would say if the cat enjoys it don't worry
about it.

Tigress

Melissa

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
Ice water isn't BAD for people, but if it is drinken after exercise (for
people) or in really hot weather, it can shock the systems and cause
them to shut down. This is partially because the esophagus runs right
next to the heart, and if the heart is all hot from working during
exercise, having icey water ran past is obviously not good. This is why
ICE cold water is not good for people or cats that are hot. It is also
not good for any hot animal. Just as a precaution, if anyone ever has a
dog, cat, horse, cow, pig, sheep, critter of any sort that is showing
signs of heat exhaustion or has been working hard DO NOT let them drink
a lot of any temperature water, don't give them ANY ice cold water,
don't throw cold water on them or let them jump into a cold
lake/river/pond,etc. Give them semi-cool/semi-warm water, let them have
it SLOWLY and get them somewhere cool. Don't try too cool them off too
quick. It can be deadly due to shock. Ice water generally isn't bad for a
normal person/cat/animal when they are relaxed, not hot or healthy. I
wouldn't recommend it for ANY animal with a heart problem be it a
murmur or anything else. . This goes for people as well. Hope this
helped, and if I'm wrong about any of the things I've said, someone
please let me know, but as far as I know, these things are not wrong.
Thanks!
Melissa

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Becky wrote:

> In article <7df7d0$n3i$1...@news-int.gatech.edu> Bulbasaur <tig...@havoc.gtf.org> writes:
> >From: Bulbasaur <tig...@havoc.gtf.org>
> >Subject: Re: ice water
> >Date: 26 Mar 1999 05:53:36 GMT
>
> >Joann <dsti...@bellsouth.net> elaborated:

> >: Does anyone know if its ok for a cat to drink ice water instead of tap

> >: water? My cat loves the
> >: ice cold water.
>

> >Don't know if it will kill them but it isn't good for them (on a sidenote
> >it isn't really good for humans either).
>
> >Tigress
>

> Can you please tell us why drinking ice water isn't good for cats or humans?
> I had never heard this before. Thanks.
>

> Becky
> rst...@indiana.edu

> >These opinions are mine, not those of Georgia Tech. It is the opinion of
> >Tech that I should be writing a paper on some topic or another.
> > |\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
> > /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
> > |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-' tig...@havoc.gtf.gatech.edu
> > '---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat drawn by Felix Lee

Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.

Keep smiling!!

BethH

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99

Melissa wrote in message <7dgg69$l...@ds2.acs.ucalgary.ca>...

I would say that it's probably not a great idea to use
>water with ice in it, but that refrigerated water should be okay.
>Have fun!
>Melissa

Actually, my cats get a huge kick out of it when I drop an ice cube into
their water bowl. They love to push it around the bowl and watch it bob
around. I would never put shaved or cracked ice in, but nice big ice cubes
can make a great toy (as long as you don't mind wiping the splashed water
off the floor afterward) :-)

I always fill my cats' water bowls with refrigerated water - it's filtered
water out of my Brita pitcher. I have noticed that they never drink it
immediately - they let it come up to room temp first.

Odette Brown

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99

Joann (dsti...@bellsouth.net) writes:
> Does anyone know if its ok for a cat to drink ice water instead of tap
> water? My cat loves the
> ice cold water.

Every day I clean the large water bowl and refill it with water and 16
ice cubes.

ob.

--
**** Odette Brown ** I love Cats *****
*** La Belle Province ** Quebec ** CANADA ***

MAJESTICAT

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
I do the same thing on hot summer mornings before leaving the house...ice cubes
in the water dish...great kitty fun. Also their water always comes from the
Brita pitcher...when the kitties are happy, everyone's happy!!

Cat

newsgroup

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
16? Will they get mad if you don't have the exact amount? hehehe

DirtGirl69

Mar 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/27/99
Why is it not good for cats or humans? Well, lets stick to the cats because I
could go into the benefits of ice cold water in humans...just curious about why
it is bad for the kitties, mine love ice cold water. Thanks :)

>Joann <dsti...@bellsouth.net> elaborated:
>: Does anyone know if its ok for a cat to drink ice water instead of tap

>: water? My cat loves the
>: ice cold water.
>

>Don't know if it will kill them but it isn't good for them (on a sidenote
>it isn't really good for humans either).
>
>Tigress

"don't be afraid of going slow..be afraid of standing still"

Melissa

Mar 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/29/99
As I've stated before, the esophagus in humans and animals (mammals)
runs directly behind the heart. If the animal (be it human or cat) has
been exercising, is hot, has health problems related to their heart or
is just generally not well, running cold water (around 3-4 degrees
celcius) next to a muscle which HAS to work at 37 degrees celcius, which
is probably hotter due to heat, can cause the muscle to shut down. Seeing
as how I can't think of any animal that can live when it's heart isn't
beating, I think that would be a good reason not to make the heart stop
beating.
As for benefits of ice cold water in humans; studies have shown that
water between 10-15 degrees (a little warmer than your fridge) is
absorbed much faster into the body than both colder water (ice cold or
from fridge) and warmer water (as in coffee or other hot drinks).
There is nothing WRONG with giving your cats ice water, as long as they
aren't hot or have been working hard or have heart problems to start
with. If you look at the posts on here in the last few days, you'll see
that many people give their cats water with ice cubes or let them play
with ice cubes, and the cats have no adverse affects, but as I've
mentioned, it's not great in some circumstances.
Hope that cleared it up.
Melissa
On 27 Mar 1999,
DirtGirl69 wrote:

Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.

Keep smiling!!

DirtGirl69

Mar 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/30/99
yes, thank you for your reply, it gave me some info i did not know. . I noticed
all the other replys shortly after sending mine. Its not so much that I didnt
understand, as I wanted elaboration from the sender. Ice water is not
recommended for humans or animals on hot days, for body temperature raises in
order to 'warm' the ice water to a digestable degree. In the long run, not
cooling the body at all. On occasions where heat exhaustion is not a problem,
having a glass of ice water is an other way to burn a few extra calories :) As
for my cats, and many others out there, ice cubes are fascinating and fun in
the water bowl..its great to see the 'kids' running to the bowl after they
hear the plunck of ice cubes into their water.
again thanks!

>As I've stated before, the esophagus in humans and animals (mammals)
>runs directly behind the heart. If the animal (be it human or cat) has
>been exercising, is hot, has health problems related to their heart or
>is just generally not well, running cold water (around 3-4 degrees
>celcius) next to a muscle which HAS to work at 37 degrees celcius, which
>is probably hotter due to heat, can cause the muscle to shut down. Seeing
>as how I can't think of any animal that can live when it's heart isn't
>beating, I think that would be a good reason not to make the heart stop
>beating.
>As for benefits of ice cold water in humans; studies have shown that
>water between 10-15 degrees (a little warmer than your fridge) is
>absorbed much faster into the body than both colder water (ice cold or
>from fridge) and warmer water (as in coffee or other hot drinks).
>There is nothing WRONG with giving your cats ice water, as long as they
>aren't hot or have been working hard or have heart problems to start
>with. If you look at the posts on here in the last few days, you'll see
>that many people give their cats water with ice cubes or let them play
>with ice cubes, and the cats have no adverse affects, but as I've
>mentioned, it's not great in some circumstances.
>Hope that cleared it up.
>Melissa

Jen

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
In article <7do9qg$7...@ds2.acs.ucalgary.ca>,

Melissa <mmco...@ucalgary.ca> wrote:
> If the animal (be it human or cat) has been exercising, is hot, has health
> problems related to their heart or is just generally not well, running cold
> water (around 3-4 degrees celcius) next to a muscle which HAS to work at 37
> degrees celcius, which is probably hotter due to heat, can cause the muscle
> to shut down. Seeing as how I can't think of any animal that can live when
> it's heart isn't beating, I think that would be a good reason not to make the
> heart stop beating.

Oh my goodness.

-Jen

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
"Until there are none...rescue one" @JMARION
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
C O M I N G S O O N -- T H E P A W P R I N T Z W E B S I T E

Denise Clere

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
i have a 10y.o cat,max,who HAS to have ice in his water,or he'll go behind
me ALL day going MMMEEOOOOOOOOWW ! =^,,^= ~

Bob Avery H.......

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
Joann wrote:

> Does anyone know if its ok for a cat to drink ice water instead of tap
> water? My cat loves the
> ice cold water.
===============
I'll bet he loves to bat the ice cubes around, too.
--
Cheers,
BobH

PTPE

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
forget the water, our cats love just playing with the ice cubes. we have ice
hockey on our kitchen floor.
^..^

Lynne Chan

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
My cat just love ice water. He has been drinking since he was a
kitten. He loves it.

1Coolrandomfree

Apr 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/14/99
My cat likes to eat our food when we are not looking. She is funny.

--
George Ingham
http://www.mnsinc.com/ingham

kkuc...@my-dejanews.com

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
One of my cats love grains - cooked or dry. You can't turn your back on a
bowl of oatmeal. She will spend all morning rubbing her face again the lid of
the glass jar containing the oats. If she manages to unscrew the lid, she
will lick up the dry oats. She's a goof!

Kathryn