WD-40 and Fish??

Joseph R. Darancette

May 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/15/95
In article <wadeware.1...@halcyon.com>
William C. WadeIII <wade...@halcyon.com> wrote:
> I was fishing for Chinook last week, and the guy I was with claimed that
> WD-40 attracted fish to bait. Hence, he would douse is bait in WD-40....
>
> Anyone every heard of this? Any explaination?

Absolutely. It works espicially for Catfish also Bass. When put on bait it
partially disolves it (solvant) and distributes it in the water nearby.
The sent of the dissolved bate and oil attracts fish. Try it on Night
Crawlers.

JRD

William C. WadeIII

May 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/15/95

john_purtell

May 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/15/95
>I fished with a guy in a club in Atlanta that swore it worked, and sprayed his plugs with WD-40. He caught fish, too.
He also thought it was good for his sore wrist, and rubbed it there. So maybe a grain or pound of salt...
catch u later,
John

Andy Stefancik

May 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/16/95
In article <wadeware.1...@halcyon.com>,

William C. WadeIII <wade...@halcyon.com> wrote:
>I was fishing for Chinook last week, and the guy I was with claimed that
>WD-40 attracted fish to bait. Hence, he would douse is bait in WD-40....
>
>Anyone every heard of this? Any explaination?

Wd-40 works great for Salmon. I have done well using it for steelhead also.
Apparently, a major ingredient in the oil is fish oil. I have heard of people
bottom fishing, with the nozzle of the wd-40 taped down, and dropping the can to
the bottom to attract fish. I have also heard of success with sturgeon. Lot
of people think your nuts, but many people know it works well. Especially in
salt water where your gear could use the lubrication for flasher swivels.

Andy S.

Steve Rimar

May 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/16/95
In article <3p8o8v$q...@ralph.vnet.net>

John Purtell writes:

>> wade...@halcyon.com (William C. WadeIII) writes:
>> I was fishing for Chinook last week, and the guy I was with claimed that
>> WD-40 attracted fish to bait. Hence, he would douse is bait in WD-40....
>>
>> Anyone every heard of this? Any explaination?

A lot of Lake Erie anglers use WD40 while fishing for walleye. Spray it on
live bait or lures and people claim it works. I think I will give it a try
on tarpon and shark next week while in FL.

STEVE RIMAR INTERNET: D1...@VM1.CC.UAKRON.EDU
INFORMATION SERVICES "TELL ME AND I FORGET.
THE UNIVERSITY OF AKRON TEACH ME AND I REMEMBER.
AKRON, OHIO 44325 INVOLVE ME AND I LEARN."
All comments are my own and not those of my employer

JeChic

May 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/16/95
Anise Oil in WD-40, and yes it does work.

Bob Roberts

May 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/16/95
In article <wadeware.1...@halcyon.com>, wade...@halcyon.com
says...

>I was fishing for Chinook last week, and the guy I was with claimed that
>WD-40 attracted fish to bait. Hence, he would douse is bait in
WD-40....

>Anyone every heard of this? Any explaination?

Yes, it is commonly used by salmon fishermen in Oregon. I have heard a
lot of theories about it, but who really knows? It seems to work!

Bob

Bob Roberts email rob...@peak.org
The Anadromous Page at: http://www.peak.org/~robertr/fishing.html

Patrick Virnich

May 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/16/95
In northern Canada many of the Indian guides use wd-40 all the time.
According to the caretaker at the camp we go to, the guides are extremely
reluctant to change their fishing habits. Once they saw the benefits of
the spray, that's all they'll use. I've never used it, I prefer Dr. Juice
natural scents, but I always have a can around just incase. My question
is: Does WD-40 harm the environment? If not, go nuts and practice catch
and release. Sea Ya!

tros...@bright.net

May 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/16/95

I've heard it suggested WD-40 actually just removes the human scent from
the lure. Attractants may do the same.

Charles Andreski

May 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/17/95
A Striped Bass Guide on Long Island told me that WD-40 was made from fish
oil and he used it to freshen stale bait (bunker). He claimed it works, I
have not tried it.

Jay R. Livernois=

May 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/17/95
>I have heard of people
>bottom fishing, with the nozzle of the wd-40 taped down, and dropping the can to
>the bottom to attract fish.

I hope that you were kidding about that little idea...

I refuse to even waste the bandwith flaming this stunt. OK, I can't help it...

If you can't catch fish with your skills, then don't screw up the environment for
the rest of us!!! I don't really see a problem with a little spray on the lure, but to
release the whole can in the water???????? :-O

Just for the record, I'm not certain but I would have to believe that there are other
ingredients in WD-40 that could be harmful...you might want check it out----
___________________'
/*A river runs through me*
\_________________________________
/
/
/
/
/
O /
|_/o

/ |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

marv bloom

May 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/17/95

wade...@halcyon.com (William C. WadeIII) said:

W(>I was fishing for Chinook last week, and the guy I was with claimed that

>WD-40 attracted fish to bait. Hence, he would douse is bait in WD-40....

W(>Anyone every heard of this? Any explaination?

I've used it and frankly we're trolling and within a few minutes
would think the lure is washed clean. It will mask the human scent and
perhaps that is it's greatest strength.

---
RoseReader 2.10 P001256 Entered at [ROSE]
RoseMail 2.60 : RoseNet<=>Usenet Gateway : Rose Media 416-733-2285

peter blackwood

May 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/18/95
In article <3pdcv9$3...@mloeff01.elec.mid.gmeds.com> tzd...@sun65.hqs.mid.gmeds.com (Jay R. Livernois=) writes:
>From: tzd...@sun65.hqs.mid.gmeds.com (Jay R. Livernois=)
>Subject: Re: WD-40 and Fish??
>Date: 17 May 1995 17:49:29 GMT

>>I have heard of people
>>bottom fishing, with the nozzle of the wd-40 taped down, and dropping the can
>>the bottom to attract fish.
>
> I hope that you were kidding about that little idea...

I hope you were kidding too, but I've heard of people doing worse (like
blowing up buildings) WD 40 contains anise but also petroleum distillates
and who knows what as a propellant....not a can to be emptied into the water!
There's even a warning on the side:
HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED
If this isn't a joke and you know of places where this was done let me know, I
don't want to fish there.
Peter Blackwood

Patrick Virnich

May 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/18/95
The question remains, what potentially harmful impact does it have? Some
of the natural scents like dr. juice seem to work great and are known to
be safe. If wd-40 is safe, great, use it.

Robert Drongowski

May 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/19/95
Subject: Re: WD-40 and Fish??
From: Patrick Virnich, AHQ...@prodigy.com
In article <3pe3jd$h...@usenetp1.news.prodigy.com> Patrick Virnich,
Do you run an outboard engine?? THis pollutes the environment probably
as much, or more, than squirting some Wd40 on your lure. Also, do you
drive to your favorite lake/stream??
Do you dump beer bottles etc into the water?/ Do you urinate into the
Lake??
I've seen plenty of people do all of the above, but they probably don't
use WD40.

Andy Stefancik

May 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/19/95
In article <peterb.29...@fishman.roc.servtech.com>,

peter blackwood <pet...@fishman.roc.servtech.com> wrote:
>In article <3pdcv9$3...@mloeff01.elec.mid.gmeds.com> tzd...@sun65.hqs.mid.gmeds.com (Jay R. Livernois=) writes:
>>From: tzd...@sun65.hqs.mid.gmeds.com (Jay R. Livernois=)
>>Subject: Re: WD-40 and Fish??
>>Date: 17 May 1995 17:49:29 GMT
>
>>>I have heard of people
>>>bottom fishing, with the nozzle of the wd-40 taped down, and dropping the can
>>>the bottom to attract fish.
>>
>> I hope that you were kidding about that little idea...
>
>I hope you were kidding too, but I've heard of people doing worse (like
>blowing up buildings) WD 40 contains anise but also petroleum distillates
>and who knows what as a propellant....not a can to be emptied into the water!
>There's even a warning on the side:
> HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED
>If this isn't a joke and you know of places where this was done let me know, I
>don't want to fish there.
> Peter Blackwood

Just hearsay folks. Don't know of anyone who has actually done this. But it
is a valid fishtale. On the other hand, I have used wd40 successfully for Salmon
& Steelhead. Spray a corky or spoon for steelies, and spray your flasher or dodger
along with youch hoochie or bait for salmon. The sturgeon story I have never done,
but I am sure sure that is true. I would say wd40 is "widely" used in Washington
and Oregon if you don't want to fish where people use wd40 instead of the largely
overpriced Dr juice. I have never used it in lake personally. Just in the ocean
and rivers.

Andy S.

John Kim

May 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/19/95

Andy Stefancik <ajs...@bcstec.ca.boeing.com> wrote:

> Just hearsay folks. Don't know of anyone who has actually done
> this. But it is a valid fishtale. On the other hand, I have used
> wd40 successfully for Salmon & Steelhead.

The pseudo-scientific explanation is that WD-40 is petroleum based.
Water is unable to dissolve oil and grease. That's why you need to
use soap to wash your hands. Soap lets water dissolve oil and fat
grease. Petroleum based solvents can dissolve oil and grease
naturally so washing with WD-40 is like washing with soap.
Apparently, it doesn't bother the fish.

Someone should try alcohol or acetone and report on the results.
|\ ______________________________________________________________________\
| | |
| | John H. Kim "Just try telling the IRS you don't feel like |
| | jo...@mit.edu 'contributing' this year come April" - Bob Dole |
| | jo...@uni.uiuc.edu on Bill Clinton's avoidance of the word "taxes." |
\|_______________________________________________________________________|

Patrick Virnich

May 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/20/95
>Do you run an outboard engine?? THis pollutes the environment probably
>as much, or more, than squirting some Wd40 on your lure. Also, do you
>drive to your favorite lake/stream??
>Do you dump beer bottles etc into the water?/ Do you urinate into the
>Lake??
>I've seen plenty of people do all of the above, but they probably don't
>use WD40.

Good points. I have never dumped beer bottles in the water though. I
always finish the beer and throw the bottle in the trash. Thanks. Sea Ya!

GE...@cunyvm.cuny.edu

May 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/22/95
WD40 FANS:

The safest way to use WD40 to catch fish without hurting the environment
is to get an empty can of the stuff, paint it chartruse (or some other
nifty fish attracting color) weld on some trebles and troll with the dam
thing.

WD40 is not meant to be used in "OUR" waters!

TOM FRY

May 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/23/95
Sat through several days of discussion on this on the FLYFISH mailing
list in January, including reports from some folks who contacted the
manufacturers. WD-40 contains petroleum distillates, PERIOD. No fish oil,
no anise, no diddly. Just well-processed "dinosaur wine".

Does it work? Many people swear by it. Why does it work? Who knows, but
not for any of the theories advanced here, except perhaps that, as a
solvent, it removes a few things which might turn off the fish. Should
you use it? Probably not.
Tom Fry uc...@ciao.trail.bc.ca
3798 Woodland Drive voice: (604) 368-9315
Trail, BC data: (604) 368-9341

tzd...@sun65.hqs.mid.gmeds.com

May 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/23/95
In article e...@lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu, Robert Drongowski <drong...@um.cc.umich.edu> () writes:
>Subject: Re: WD-40 and Fish??
>From: Patrick Virnich, AHQ...@prodigy.com
>In article <3pe3jd$h...@usenetp1.news.prodigy.com> Patrick Virnich,
>AHQ...@prodigy.com writes:
>>The question remains, what potentially harmful impact does it have? Some
>>of the natural scents like dr. juice seem to work great and are known to
>>be safe. If wd-40 is safe, great, use it.
>Do you run an outboard engine?? THis pollutes the environment probably
>as much, or more, than squirting some Wd40 on your lure. Also, do you
>drive to your favorite lake/stream??
>Do you dump beer bottles etc into the water?/ Do you urinate into the
>Lake??
>I've seen plenty of people do all of the above, but they probably don't
>use WD40.
************************
No I do not do any of these things!!! And furthermore anyone who does would be
classified as a PIG.

Not sure, but I think I may have started this discussion when someone wrote
about taking a can of WD-40 and tapeing the nossel down then dropping the can
into the water to attract fish...that's when he got flamed.

Squirting a little on a lure can in no way be compared to the amount released
by dropping the entire contents of a can overboard. However, I do believe that the
commercial scents work just as well and do not harm the enviornment as much as WD-40 would.

READ THE LABEL!!! It has petroleum components...you make the choice.

It seems to me that if you are as interested in fishing as you think you are,
then it would be in your best interest to help keep the waters free of pollutents
so our children can enjoy them also. Just my 2 scents. ar ar

___________________'
/*A river runs through me*

\_________________________________ Jay

Philip P.Stewart

May 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/23/95

> always finish the beer and throw the bottle in the trash.!

I always finish the beer (Plenty, BTW!!!) and take the bottle back for the
refund! I can't figure out how anyone can afford not to take them back,
financially, let alone environmentally!!!

Phil

marv bloom

May 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/24/95

pet...@fishman.roc.servtech.com (peter blackwood) said:

P >I hope you were kidding too, but I've heard of people doing worse (like

>blowing up buildings) WD 40 contains anise but also petroleum distillates
>and who knows what as a propellant....not a can to be emptied into the water!
>There's even a warning on the side:
> HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED
>If this isn't a joke and you know of places where this was done let me know, I
>don't want to fish there.

A single spray of WD-40 on one's lure isn't even close to the
pollution that your 2-stroke outboard spewed into the water whilst
just warming it up.

Get serious!

Marv

peter blackwood

May 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/24/95
In article <1995May24.0...@rose.com> marv....@rose.com (marv bloom) writes:
>From: marv....@rose.com (marv bloom)

>Subject: Re: WD-40 and Fish??
>Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 04:41:57 GMT

> pet...@fishman.roc.servtech.com (peter blackwood) said:

>P >I hope you were kidding too, but I've heard of people doing worse (like
> >blowing up buildings) WD 40 contains anise but also petroleum distillates
> >and who knows what as a propellant....not a can to be emptied into the water!
> >There's even a warning on the side:
> > HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED
> >If this isn't a joke and you know of places where this was done let me know,
> >don't want to fish there.

> A single spray of WD-40 on one's lure isn't even close to the
>pollution that your 2-stroke outboard spewed into the water whilst
>just warming it up.
>
> Get serious!
>
> Marv

In the above quote from me (peter blackwood) I was referring to
the suggestion that it might be OK or beneficial to fishing to empty the
ENTIRE CONTENTS of a can of WD40 underwater to attract fish, I think that
most readers of this group would agree that this would be just plain stupid.
I didn't intend my comments to refer to simply spraying a lure. ( I've tried
that and it didn't seem to help) Sorry for the confusion

meslo

May 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/25/95

: WD40 FANS:

Now what fish atractant do you use ?. I am shure it is just as bad as
wd40. If you use any.If not good for you. But until I see some study
showing it is more harmful than the exaust from all boats. Then I will
most likly keep useing it. And no I dont throw over the can :) I just
spray a small amount onto my artifical baits. Have you ever looked at the
trail of slime from most spay atractants. Looks alot like the wd40 trail.

Oh well off to my fishing hole!

GO ENT MOVIE CENTER

May 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/28/95
I hope you consider the impact wd-40 would do if every fisherman in the lake
or worse yet...stream, river, jetty, etc. I have caught thousands of fish
without the usuage of it and don't intend to ever use it. Learn and read the
species that you are fishing for....thier feeding habits,time of season,etc..
but please...we can do without the additional pollutants.

OILMAN

May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95
OH,STOP YOUR BELLY ACH"IN
A LITTLE PETROLIUM BASED
PRODUCT WOULDN'T HURT A FLY !

tzd...@sun65.hqs.mid.gmeds.com

Jun 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/1/95

Yea OK, and I suppose that you aren't just a little biased!!! Mr. OIL MAN...

It's that kind of attitude that makes me wonder where it all ends. My point
is that if you can't catch fish with your own skills and basic equipment then, maybe
you ought to consider some other pastime...BTW why don't you try spaying a little
WD-40 on a fly and see if it lives very long