Freeze Severity on Texas Gulf Coast?

John Red-Horse

Nov 29, 1993, 9:57:04 PM11/29/93
Hello All,

As a displaced bay fisherman, I watched last week's Dallas Cowboys
football fiasco with some trepidation. It looked like a heck of a
severe cold front barreled through the entire state unexpectedly,
and I'm looking to find out the status of things. Any big game/bait
fish kills?

Thanks in advance,
john

--
John Red-Horse jrr...@sandia.gov
Structural Dynamics & Vibration Control

Robert Drongowski

Nov 30, 1993, 10:43:15 AM11/30/93
Subject: Freeze Severity on Texas Gulf Coast?

>As a displaced bay fisherman, I watched last week's Dallas Cowboys
>football fiasco with some trepidation. It looked like a heck of a
>severe cold front barreled through the entire state unexpectedly,
>and I'm looking to find out the status of things.

Don't know about fish kills, but from my perspective it wasn't nearly
cold enough
as the Dallass Cowgirls, the city of Dallas and, in fact, the whole State
of Texas, is still functioning.

Thi Nguyen

Nov 30, 1993, 12:18:23 PM11/30/93

Dallas got the worst of the cold front as you can see
on TV. A narrow band of ice hit the southern states and
Dallas was in the middle of it. The lowest part of the
ice band was about 150 miles north of Galveston. I talk
to a friend of mine who was down in Texas City the
Thanskgiving weekend. He said it was not real cold but
the wind was blowing pretty hard (40-50 mph).

This is the first real cold front moved down here this
year. The water in the coast is still pretty warm/not
that cold to kill fish like we had before.

Mr T

John Red-Horse

Nov 30, 1993, 1:37:07 PM11/30/93
In article <2dfv8v$3...@crchh515.bnr.ca>, tdng...@bnr.ca spake thusly:

>Dallas got the worst of the cold front as you can see
>on TV. A narrow band of ice hit the southern states and
>Dallas was in the middle of it. The lowest part of the
>ice band was about 150 miles north of Galveston. I talk
>to a friend of mine who was down in Texas City the
>Thanskgiving weekend. He said it was not real cold but
>the wind was blowing pretty hard (40-50 mph).

Yes, Mr T, that's blowing pretty hard. I actually got a fishing
report from a buddy of mine who lives in Austin: Flats just off of the
channel @ Ingleside, four fisherman, 12 big reds (24-27'') with some
rats thrown in and 2 nice trout (you know, real trout, speckled trout)
in the 20-25'' range. These fish were caught on gold spoons and
Cordell broken backs. I was very glad to hear the front wasn't too
strong, but obviously sad to have missed their trip.

cheers,
john

PS Please keep us posted on your bay experiences.

Thi Nguyen

Dec 2, 1993, 11:10:33 AM12/2/93

>Yes, Mr T, that's blowing pretty hard. I actually got a fishing
>report from a buddy of mine who lives in Austin: Flats just off of the
>channel @ Ingleside, four fisherman, 12 big reds (24-27'') with some
>rats thrown in and 2 nice trout (you know, real trout, speckled trout)
>in the 20-25'' range. These fish were caught on gold spoons and
>Cordell broken backs. I was very glad to hear the front wasn't too
>strong, but obviously sad to have missed their trip.
>
>cheers,

Are you making fun of my name or at the wind speed ? I don't
mind if you are to both. Friend, I told you what I heard, and
I have nothing to back it up. I am glad to hear that someone do
catch fish down there. Obviously, your friends used either spin
or bait cast so a little wind could not bother them. Can you ask
them more specifically where they fished. I want to go there
the next time I am down in the Galveston area.

I hope it will not be so windy so I can try my new fly rod.
Fishing the flat for red and speckle trout is one of my favorite.

Good fishing to you,
Mr T

John Red-Horse

Dec 3, 1993, 11:56:32 AM12/3/93
In article <2dl41p$i...@crchh515.bnr.ca>, tdng...@bnr.ca spake thusly:

>Are you making fun of my name or at the wind speed ? I don't
>mind if you are to both.

Ouch! Neither. In fact, I really appreciated your weather
update---it made my day. What I was remarking on was your comment on
the north wind (it made me think of standing in the middle of the bay
with it blowing 20 out of the north and trying to cast into the teeth
of it).

>Friend, I told you what I heard, and
>I have nothing to back it up. I am glad to hear that someone do
>catch fish down there.

And I was not disputing that. I was trying to give you another data
point to try and get a handle on how far down the coast the cold
weather went.

>Obviously, your friends used either spin
>or bait cast so a little wind could not bother them.

Yes, they were.

>Can you ask
>them more specifically where they fished. I want to go there
>the next time I am down in the Galveston area.

Ingleside is a little town north of Corpus. The bay at Ingleside is
north of Corpus Christi Bay. As well as I can recall there is only
one boat launch there. These folks were fishing on the flats by the
bluffs that are to the right as you leave the launch (by the two
chemical plants). It's about a 10-15 min boat ride. BTW, these flats
are ideal for flats fishing with fly tackle (I've seen mostly reds on
them).

>I hope it will not be so windy so I can try my new fly rod.
>Fishing the flat for red and speckle trout is one of my favorite.

I think that you and I corresponded on this topic before, but remember
not to get too caught up in what tackle to use. There are going to be
days when fly tackle is viable (sight casting to feeding reds on the
flats) and days when it will not be appropriate (blind casting in
deeper water). If I were you I'd go fishing prepared to do either.
(Just my $.02)

> >Good fishing to you,

And to you also, (sorry for the confusion)
john

PS Keep us posted on your experiences.