aluminum boat?

Lowglow10

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
has anybody ever heard of a aluminum boat rotting away from the inside ?
how can i fix this or is it not true

lowg...@aol.com

MMccoy01

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99
>From: lowg...@aol.com (Lowglow10)
>Date: 4/7/99 10:02 PM Central Daylight Time

>has anybody ever heard of a aluminum boat rotting away from the inside ?
>how can i fix this or is it not true
>
>lowg...@aol.com

Maybe if you spilled battery acid or some other corrosive material in it.

Mark
http://members.aol.com/mmccoy01/index.html

Don Backous

Apr 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/13/99
I have owned four different aluminum boats myself and have experience with
problems related to corrosion.
I had a problem with the rivets on the first two I owned (both 18'
Starcraft). What was happening was a small amount of water left in the bilge
would collect in the bow area during the winter lay-up. It happens that my
typical fall fishing would include trips to salt water and I have to assume
the water in the bilge was at least somewhat salty. Anyway, the rivet ends
(peened end on inside of hull) were rotting off in this isolated area of the
hull. I actually had some pop out and it is amazing how much water can come
through a couple of 3/16" dia holes! The fix was easy after being directed
by Starcraft to a local authorized repair facility. They simply replaced all
the affected rivets. (Biggest hassle was removing the floor to access the
area - not a user friendly job!)
I also have experienced a very odd "rot" on the bottom of my third boat, a
welded aluminum hull (manufacturer will remain un-named).
After only 9 months, I had the opportunity to take a look at the bottom of
the boat while it was supported on a sling. I was shocked when I noticed
severe, for lack of a better term, "rotting" of the aluminum isolated to
those areas of the hull that are supported by the trailer bunks. The pitting
went at least half way through the 3/16" thick hull and was extensive over
two areas of approximate 5" x 7 feet. Keep in mind, this was a $15,000 hull
that wasn't even a year old!
Turns out ,although the dealer never admitted to it, the trailer was a
fault. The bunks were pressure treated lumber covered with carpeting. One of
the elements of the pressure treatment on the lumber is copper. When you
sandwich a saltwater soaked carpet between aluminum (the hull) and copper
(coming out of the bunk) you have a nice little battery. Can you spell
ELECTROLYSIS. Well, I'm not sure I can, but that's what was going on, and it
damn near ate it's way through that hull!
I went to work on the dealer and after some pretty serious conversations, he
provided me with a new boat and modified my trailer with a new type of bunk
made out of plastic. Almost two years later and no problems.
Long story - I hope you found it interesting!

Good luck!

Jim Pankey

Apr 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/14/99
Don,

The story was very informative. I will have to remember that
"battery"...electrolysis is correct.

Jim Pankey
USN (Ret.)
"Barbless Bassin'
wild...@pe.net
hanky...@earthlink.net

Don Backous <dbac...@pacifier.com> wrote in message

frank...@my-dejanews.com

Apr 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/25/99
I plan on running a 16' Aluminum in brackish/Saltwater this year.(Starcraft 16
Camp w/ 40HP Mercury)
What can I do to hold off corrossion? The boat will be in the river at a dock
all summer and fall. I have zincs and anti-fouling paint....anything else?

Also, do I need to flush the engine after EVERY trip. The Merc book recommends
flushing after every run, but this could be a chore at the dock?

Thanks in advance for any guidance....
Frank

mrdancer

Apr 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/25/99
After you take out, immediately go to the nearest self-serve carwash
(there's usually a few around most populated areas of the coast). Spend a
coupla dollars spraying down the boat, interior and exterior, it'll be money
well-spent. As soon as you get home, hook your garden hose up to a good set
of 'muffs', connect to the motor, and run it for a coupla minutes. That
should take care of most of your problems.

--

<frank...@my-dejanews.com> wrote in message

Terry

Apr 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/25/99
Frank, I have a friend who fishes Sandy Hook exclusively, he had the "I
don't need to flush or rinse my boat attitude" wellll to make a long story
short, he no longer owns an aluminum boat, he had to buy glass. Also if
your motor isn't for salt water I would flush after use.

--
t.bo...@worldnet.att.net
Everyone has an Ego,

Sikik

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Hi Frank,
I live on the Sunshine Coast, not in Florida, the one 100 K North of
Brisbane, Australia.Here we have close to the highest private boat ownership
in Australia, and boating and fishing are year round interests. A very large
percentage of boats here are aluminium, in the 12 to 18 ft. range, and
problems are very rare. Most ramps have water taps nearby, and the boats are
given a quick wash down on retrieval, the motors flushed through with fresh
water, and if not being used again next day will be wash more thoroughly at
home. The thing you have to watch out for is that you don't lose hooks,
swivels etc. under the floor or in your bilges. If you do not check for this
regularly, you will eventually eat a hole in the hull with electrolysis.