beginner equipment

Hilbert

Aug 8, 2007, 3:35:33 PM8/8/07
Hello,

I'm just starting with fly fishing and wanted some advice on what
equipment to get. I'm going to fish mostly small streams in NH, for
trout.

I like the Tioga reels from Teton. I'm not sure which size to get #4?
#6? #8?

With rods, I have no idea. I'd like to find something well priced, in
the under $200.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Hilbert

Dave LaCourse

Aug 8, 2007, 3:49:05 PM8/8/07

Go to: http://ezflyfish.com/

The owner's name is Walt, but we call him Waldo. He is an honest man
and will not screw you. He can get you want you want with a minimum
of fuss. Calling him would be best. Be sure to speak to Walt and
tell him The Pirate said hello. And no, I don't get a kick-back.
d;o)

Dave

Dave LaCourse

Aug 8, 2007, 4:22:19 PM8/8/07
Here's an ideal rod/reel outfit from Waldo, ready to fish with line,
backing, and a leader, plus he'll throw in a dozen flies.

http://ezflyfish.com/ezsmstou.html

I cannot attest to the St. Croix rod, personally, but I've heard good
words about it and the Ross reel.

Let us know what you decide.

Dave

Wayne Harrison

Aug 8, 2007, 4:35:54 PM8/8/07

"Dave LaCourse" <dplac...@pirateaol.com> wrote in message

i have a st.croix that i bought on the cheap to use for warm water pond
fishing that has been very satisfactory.

in fact, i prefer its action to the telephone pole replicas that are
foisted upon the public by the sage company, and fished by lucky yankees.

yfitons
wayno

Dave LaCourse

Aug 8, 2007, 5:46:41 PM8/8/07
On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 16:35:54 -0400, "Wayne Harrison"
<wa...@triad.rr.com> wrote:

>in fact, i prefer its action to the telephone pole replicas that are
>foisted upon the public by the sage company, and fished by lucky yankees.

That's only because you are limp wristed. d;o)

And *this* lucky yankee prefers Winstons, tyvm.

My best to Ree.

Louie

Vliegvisser

Aug 8, 2007, 9:46:58 PM8/8/07
In news:1186601733.6...@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com,
schreef Hilbert <li...@panka.com> de volgende woordjes :

instead of going for the heavenly priced sages, St. Croix, Winson's, etc,
maybe an alternativre is a 'Gremlin Fishing' rod?
No...i have nothing to do with the seller, as he is in the USA and I am in
The Netherlands, but i really like his 6.6ft #2, and know he;s also got 3-4
pcs #3-4 rods, 4pcs heavier rods, etc. And most of his rods are well below
$200.

--

/////
(o) (o)

straight lines & tight loops,

Vliegvisser

asadi

Aug 8, 2007, 10:20:12 PM8/8/07

"Wayne Harrison" <wa...@triad.rr.com> wrote in message

...and would you care to tell me WTF is lucky about being a Yankee?

john

Mike

Aug 9, 2007, 2:01:42 AM8/9/07
Just my .02 have had some friends start flyfishing this year they had
gone out and bought 8' rods brand doesn't matter they were flailing
the line all over the place not getting anywhere..........I lent them
an old cortland 9' cl 5wt and there casting changed dramaticaly I
noticed the same thing when I started a very good friend (long tall
fellow)gave me a cortland 7 or 8 foot 4 weight I couldn't get the damn
thing to go 40 feet i bought thecl 9' and I can cast better
now.........I gues what I am saying is get youself a 9' rod to start I
think the learning curve is shorter once you get used to it then try a
shorter rod

rdean3...@flash.net

Aug 9, 2007, 11:15:10 AM8/9/07

Not necessarily. I have no idea for what size trout in what "small
streams" in what I assume is New Hampshire the OP wishes to fish, but it
is entirely possible that a 9' 5wt will be too much rod, and 40 feet
might be too long a cast. A shorter, softer 3wt might be what they
need, or ???

And while I'd gladly send Waldo business, I'd also suggest that the OP
attempt to shop and buy locally, at least in the beginning, for gear,
advice, and if possible, some casting lessons. IMO, that'll make the
learning curve a lot shorter. And if the OP is long-time fisherman
(with other tackle), it could really make a difference - long-time spin
and bait-casting fishers often have more of a time learning to cast with
a fly rod than those who start with a fly rod.

And also IMO, while there are inappropriate rods for rank
novices/beginners, the differences between a mid-action, lighter-mid
weight 8' and 9' are not going to be so vast as to turn a novice into
Steve Rajeff with a mere rod switch. The good thing about that is that
the novice doesn't need to be Rajeff to successfully fish small NH
streams.

As to the OP's questions, taking them as written:

IMO, for smaller trout on smaller streams, the reel won't matter much;
get a smallish one (in the Tioga, the 4 or 6) in your budget. I'd lean
toward the 6 as it is more versatile, and the 8 is a bit large. As to
the rod, about all anyone can do is offer suggestions based on what
_they_ like and those will be, understandably, all over the board in
physical properties, price, etc. That's among the reasons why I suggest
local shopping and instruction, if possible, for a novice - you may be
able to try a few rods, and while most novices cannot pick up a rod and
offer much critique, they can often tell what they don't like, or at
least discover that they are fine with a rod that is priced at half or a
third of another. My _guess_ is that something along the lines of
midish action 3-5 weight, 8-9' is going to be the range, and unless
warranty or some other "special" "feature" is/are major point(s) for
you, just about any maker will have something that will (objectively)
work fine, and the price range will be extreme.

It would be easier for folks to offer their opinions and reasoning on
specific makes and models once you narrow the choices and have some idea
of what you need and want, but again, keep in mind that no one can tell
you what you'd like.

TC,

Hilbert

Aug 14, 2007, 9:56:02 AM8/14/07

Thanks for all the suggestions. I found this site:

http://flydepot.com/flyfishing/

They have a list of their most popular rods, I think I'll probably
pick one from there.

nospam

Aug 20, 2007, 3:52:11 PM8/20/07
In article <1186601733.6...@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Hilbert <li...@panka.com> wrote:

Do not get a teton reel. The owner of the company, Wes Amment, has
screwed over every sales rep that has ever worked for him. He doesnt
pay them. SImple as that. Jon Jovich, Larry Iuppa... if you dont
believe me call your fly shop and ask them who the last rep for teton
was, get their number and ask them. Every single one of them will tell
you he is a con man.

As far as fly line, reel, rod: Get the cheapest (dont get a walmart rod)
you can afford since money is an issue. Use the money you save for
casting lessons. Right now someone could give you a z axis fly rod, a
Scientific Anglers mastery expert distance fly line, and a $500 reel and
you would not cast one bit better than if you had a $15 walmart fly
line, a tfo series 1 rod, and a $35 SIerra reel.

So here is your outfit:
tfo 2 piece series 1 5 weight $99
Okuma sierra 5/6 reel (6/7 is ok as well) $35-40
Either a $15 walmart fly line, probably will be cortland or Orvis, or a
$40 beginner line from a flyshop,****

**** If you splurge, PROMISE me you will get casting lessons, you can
get a hour casting lesson for $25-$50, and about 4 seperate hours worth
will do you a ton of good, and the above setup has saved you that much.
After you are a intermediate caster you wont be disapointed with your
tfo rod, at about a year you might want to upgrade to a fly line like a
SA trout.

nospam

Aug 20, 2007, 3:59:45 PM8/20/07
In article <1b9kb3lntnq7jmodt...@4ax.com>,
Dave LaCourse <dplac...@pirateaol.com> wrote:

You should ask him to special order you the tfo series 1 2 piece which
is $99, then buy the ross at $35 which includes flyline (and I assume
backing), and you are ready to go at $134, which puts you $66 below just
what you were willing to pay for a rod, which will get you at least one
private casting lesson.

nospam

Aug 20, 2007, 4:01:52 PM8/20/07
In article <13bka8j...@corp.supernews.com>,
"Wayne Harrison" <wa...@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> i have a st.croix that i bought on the cheap to use for warm water pond
> fishing that has been very satisfactory.
>
> in fact, i prefer its action to the telephone pole replicas that are
> foisted upon the public by the sage company, and fished by lucky yankees.

How does it fish compared to a tfo? More importantly, would a beginner
who saved his money to take 2 casting lessons be able to tell the
difference?

nospam

Aug 20, 2007, 4:07:20 PM8/20/07
In article <l10mb358leon5hfju...@4ax.com>,
rdean3...@flash.net wrote:

> IMO, for smaller trout on smaller streams, the reel won't matter much;
> get a smallish one (in the Tioga, the 4 or 6) in your budget.

I would disagree about the TIoga. I wont bore you with my rant again,
but the tioga is $119, and as you say the reel doesnt matter much for a
small stream. He can get Waldo's Ross for $35 which includes a fly
line. That savings in flyline and reel is going to be about $100, which
will give him 2 to 3 private 1 hour casting lessons, which will help him
out a ton.

Scott Seidman

Aug 20, 2007, 5:27:24 PM8/20/07
nospam <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in news:nospam-2A95C1.12521120082007
@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

> Do not get a teton reel. The owner of the company, Wes Amment, has
> screwed over every sales rep that has ever worked for him. He doesnt
> pay them.

If you're going to say stuff like this, you should at least post your name,
so Wes Amment knows who to sue.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

rdean3...@flash.net

Aug 20, 2007, 10:38:45 PM8/20/07
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:07:20 GMT, nospam <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

>In article <l10mb358leon5hfju...@4ax.com>,
> rdean3...@flash.net wrote:
>

>> IMO, for smaller trout on smaller streams, the reel won't matter much;
>> get a smallish one (in the Tioga, the 4 or 6) in your budget.
>
>I would disagree about the TIoga.

OK, what size Tioga would you recommend?

And a note to the OP - I didn't recommend or disparage any particular
reel, Tioga or otherwise, I merely offered my opinion as which size
Tioga would be appropriate based on your post.

> I wont bore you with my rant again,

Um, well, I won't disagree that some anonymous rant would bore me AND I
say that while fully admitting I have no fuckin' idea with what you
aren't going to attempt to bore me...

Guess who...(hint - info in the addy)

nospam

Aug 21, 2007, 1:27:02 AM8/21/07
In article <Xns9992B1940D09Bsc...@130.133.1.4>,
Scott Seidman <namdie...@mindspring.com> wrote:

Truth is a absolute defense. If anyone owns a Teton reel and does not
want to own a reel from a company that screws over its sales reps, call
up teton and ask who the last 10 sales reps were. I guarantee you every
single one will say that Wes Amment does not pay EVERY SINGLE SALES REP
HE HAS EVER HAD. Jon Kovich, of winston, Larry Iuppa of Echo, snowbee,
airflo, plus every single other rep has ever had.