Vowels for Wales

Marla Lecin

Apr 15, 1992, 10:33:00 AM4/15/92
Greetings unto the Rialto, from Jessa d'Avondale!

Back in A.S. 21, we ran a "Vowels for Wales" ad in the April issue
of our Baronial newsletter. I don't remember where the idea came
from, (or if we originated it), but it was reprinted a year ago in
"Not Necessarily the Pikestaff", so that might account for its
popularity in Carolingia. The ad went:

UYDDGHLMNWDLLNDGHWYDDTHLLDDY

Does this name look pathetic to you? Well, just be grateful that you
come from a rich and fertile land, one that produces an abundance and
can afford to trade for such niceties as VOWELS. Rather than belittling
our more unfortunate brethren for the afflictions of their homelands,
we should instead try to help them. So, we at the Mudguppy have created
"Vowels for Wales", a non-profit foundation dedicated to doing just that.
If you have any vowels you don't really need, send them in. (Robin
Argyll de Couer Aile offered to surrender the "o" and "u" out of "Couer",
but we suggested that he use them in "Argyll" instead.) If you don't
have extra vowels, the VFW is also taking monetary donations, as we have
heard rumors of some contest in the Kingdom of Caid where one can actually
BUY vowels!

[From "The Mudguppy", the April Fool's issue of the Barony of Settmour
Swamp's "Mudpuppy". Co-editors: Mitchell MacBain, Jessa d'Avondale,
Aleksandra de Accipitre, and Robin Argyll de Couer Aile.]

Also found elsewhere in the same issue:

F Y CN RD THS Y MST B WLSH

--Jessa