Innovation Music Synthesizer

George Heymann

Apr 25, 1989, 11:40:00 PM4/25/89

=== Innovation Computer Corporation ===
(C) 1989 George H. Heymann

The Innovation SSI-2001 sound board is a half-height, plug-in,
expansion card that will fit in any IBM and compatible personal
computers. This includes the PC, XT, AT, 386, and the PS/2 model
30. The board uses the Commodore 6582 Sound Interface Device
(SID) chip, which is a 3-Voice electronic music synthesizer/sound
effects generator. The sound board has a 15 pin game port for
joysticks, which has the capability of supporting two joysticks
with a "Y" connector (The joysticks, and Y connector are not
included with the package). It also has a RCA jack for headphones
or an amp, so that the sound can be played through your home
stereo system. The board also has 3 banks of jumpers that
enable or disable the joystick port, control the joystick
sensitivity (nice feature), and the sound port address, if any
I/O port conflicts occur.

Innovation claims that installing a second sound board in the
computer and connecting them to a stereo amplifier and headphones
will give you pseudo stereo sound. I suggest you take the output
of the board, and feed it into both the left and right channel
inputs of your amp. This should have the same effect, and of
course be much less expensive.

Innovation currently has third party software support from
Microprose and Spectrum Holobyte. Kris Backhaus, Sound Sales
Director for Innovation says " I have been working closely with
software companies and can guarantee at least four new games by
fall". "I can also say tentatively at this time that at least
five new companies are working with our board". Unfortunately,
Kris could not disclose the names of these companies, at this
time. Innovation seems focused at becoming the standard, and
has stated that "We will do what it takes, to become the
standard". Innovation seems very sincere in their wish to
accomplish this goal. Innovation, by using a sound chip like
the Commodore Sid chip have designed a very simple way to
convert music, or sound effects for the Commodore computers to
the MS-Dos, based machines. This will save time, and money
for software developers who can then easily port these routines
between machines.

Price, This is an area where the Innovation SSI-2001 has a keen
edge. The retail price for the board is $129.00 and is available
only through Innovation. Innovation has extended a special
"Users Group Discount", of $50.00, allowing you to purchase the
board for only $79.00. In addition to this users group discount,
Some software manufacturers, may have a coupon deal within their
games. An additional $10 may be reduced from the cost of your
purchase, when both the Users group coupon and the coupon from
the software manufacturer is used to make the purchase. Innovation
will honor that additional $10.00, if the coupon requirements are
met, giving you a total possible discount of $60.00, and effectively
reducing the $129.00 retail-valued sound board to only $69.00.
Please see the Users Group discount coupon below:

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!noao!asuvax!stjhmc!307!1!George.Heymann
Internet: George....@f1.n307.z1.fidonet.org