unjustly forgotten instrumentals

Crazy Charlie

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
UNDERWATER - Frogmen (Candix) 1961
RINKY DINK - Dave Baby Cortez (Chess) 1962
APACHE - Jorgen Innmann (Atco) 1961
SWINGIN' SAFARI - Billy Vaughn (Dot) 1962
POMP & CIRCUMSTANCE - Adrian Kimberly (Calliope) 1961
JACK THE RIPPER - Link Wray (Swan) 1963
SPOOKY - Mike Sharpe (Liberty) 1967
CASATCHOK - Alexander Karazov (Jamie) 1969
LOOK FOR A STAR - Billy Vaughn (Dot) 1960
PERCOLATOR - Billy Jo & CHeckmates (Dore) 1962
STICK SHIFT - DUals (Sue) 1961
CAST YOUR FATE TO THE WIND - Sounds Orchestral (Parkway) & Vince Guaraldi
(Fantasy) 66/63
THAT HAPPY FEELING - Bert Kaempfertg (Decca) 62

-- I will list more if there's interest --

Crazy Charlie

Norm Katuna

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
On 4/25/53 Billboard magazine reviewed Chess 1538, Willie Mabon-----"I'm Mad",
rating it at a 81, and on 13 Sep 1998 12:36:51 -0500, in
rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1960s, "Crazy Charlie" <craz...@ushwy1.com>, wrote:

Uh, sure some of these are going to be forgotten. They were never anything in
the first place other than at some local station somewhere.

::: POMP & CIRCUMSTANCE - Adrian Kimberly (Calliope) 1961

Even though it made it to #34. I never heard it played in Los Angeles. And
this was the period that I was glued to KFWB and KRLA.

::: SPOOKY - Mike Sharpe (Liberty) 1967

Where was this a hit, or even played? I see it charted low in Billboard, but I
never heard it.

::: CASATCHOK - Alexander Karazov (Jamie) 1969

Never heard of it, but since I wasn't listening to A. M radio any more, I guess
it could be understandable that I don't know it.

::: PERCOLATOR - Billy Jo & CHeckmates (Dore) 1962

Just loved that record when it was popular

::: THAT HAPPY FEELING - Bert Kaempfertg (Decca) 62

It may have charted low in Billboard, but I don't think it was ever played in
L.A.

**To combat unwanted autospams, I have added two x's to my e-mail
address. Please remove the xx (@xxhome.com) before responding.**

Norm Katuna
------------------
Mac Wiseman ......Step it up and go.....Dot 15544
Jimmy Wolford.....My name is JImmy......4 Star 1714
Don Woody.........Not I.................Arco 4623

BigStar303

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Norm wrote:

*************

>>::: SPOOKY - Mike Sharpe (Liberty) 1967

Where was this a hit, or even played? I see it charted low in Billboard, but I
never heard it.<<

*************

I couldn't tell you where (it seems to me I was on vacation rather than at home
when I heard it), but this did get played on the radio somewhere. And it
PREDATED The Classics IV's version. I'm very certain of this, because I had a
flash of instant recognition when the vocal version came out.

Nick Durutta

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
Crazy Charlie wrote:

> UNDERWATER - Frogmen (Candix) 1961
> RINKY DINK - Dave Baby Cortez (Chess) 1962
> APACHE - Jorgen Innmann (Atco) 1961
> SWINGIN' SAFARI - Billy Vaughn (Dot) 1962
> POMP & CIRCUMSTANCE - Adrian Kimberly (Calliope) 1961
> JACK THE RIPPER - Link Wray (Swan) 1963
> SPOOKY - Mike Sharpe (Liberty) 1967
> CASATCHOK - Alexander Karazov (Jamie) 1969
> LOOK FOR A STAR - Billy Vaughn (Dot) 1960
> PERCOLATOR - Billy Jo & CHeckmates (Dore) 1962
> STICK SHIFT - DUals (Sue) 1961
> CAST YOUR FATE TO THE WIND - Sounds Orchestral (Parkway) & Vince Guaraldi
> (Fantasy) 66/63
> THAT HAPPY FEELING - Bert Kaempfertg (Decca) 62
>
> -- I will list more if there's interest --
>
> Crazy Charlie

A few more great instrumentals that never dented the Hot 100:

WALK ON THE WILD SIDE, Elmer Bernstein (1961)
THE LONG SHIPS, Charles Albertine (1962)
ONLY THE YOUNG, Champs (1963)

Dean F.

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
RAM-BUNK-SHUSH, The Ventures (1961)
FORTY MILES OF BAD ROAD, Duane Eddy & The Rebels (1959)
REVILLE ROCK, Johnny & The Hurricanes (1959)
WALK DON'T RUN '64, The Venures (1964)
SLAUGHTER ON TENTH AVENUE, The Ventures (1964)
RAW-HIDE, Link Wray (1959)
HANG 'EM HIGH, Booker T. & The MGs (1969)
NIGHT TRAIN, James Brown & The Famous Flames (1962)
SMOKIE--PART 2, Bill Black's Combo (1960)
THEME FROM "EXODUS," Ferrante & Teicher (1961)
THEME FROM "THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN," Al Caiola (1960)
LET'S GO TRIPPIN', Dick Dale & The Del-Tones (1961)
POINT PANIC, The Surfaris (1963)
BEATNIK FLY, Johnny & The Hurricanes (1960)

Serumgard

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
One of my favorite genres is instrumental music, preferably guitar driven. All
of these are sadly neglected these days, and I especially miss The Ventures and
Booker T and The M.G.'s . Most oldies staions will play an occasional tune
like Green Onions, but where is Time Is Tight?

Anyone know of a really good Booker T. CD comp? I have a few on tape and vinyl,
but they are poor quality and always lacking something essential!
The Ventures, on the other hand, although saddly neglected and mostly
unreleased in the States, are still together, still recording, still touring! I
thought they had given up in the early seventies because of the lack of
airplay, and never seeing any new product in the stores. If you are interested:
http://www.sandcastlevi.com/venture.htm is an excellent site to start at.

JohnS

tali...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
In article <3600f74b.13688424@news>,
nor...@xxhome.com (Norm Katuna) wrote:

> ::: SPOOKY - Mike Sharpe (Liberty) 1967
>
> Where was this a hit, or even played? I see it charted low in Billboard,
> but I never heard it.

My only complete reference to Mike Sharpe's "Spooky" is that the song
reached #23 at CJMS Montreal, Quebec, Canada on March 13, 1967.

Incomplete chart history...but also charted at...

KOMA Oklahoma City, OK - Song enters chart at #40 on March 2, 1967.
WIOO - Carlisle, PA. - #58, up from #67, on February 18, 1967.

-Andre.

Bob Roman

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
On 14 Sep 1998, Serumgard wrote:

> Anyone know of a really good Booker T. CD comp? I have a few on tape and vinyl,
> but they are poor quality and always lacking something essential!

A compilation of early material owned by Atlantic is on:

The Best Of Booker T. & The MG's (Rhino 81281)
* Green Onions * Mo' Onions * Jellybread * Tic-Tac-Toe * Soul Dressing *
Terrible Thing * Can't Be Still * Boot-Leg * Summertime * Be My Lady * Red
Beans And Rice * My Sweet Potato * Booker-Loo * Hip Hug-Her * Slim
Jenkins' Place * Groovin'

Later material still owned by Stax is on:

Best Of Booker T. & The MG's (Stax 60-004)
* Hang 'Em High * Eleanor Rigby * Soul Limbo * Over Easy * Mrs. Robinson *
Something * Time Is Tight * Johnny I Love You * Heads Or Tails *
Meditation * Hip Hug Her * Horse, The * Slum Baby * Born Under A Bad Sign
* Light My Fire * It's Your Thing * Melting Pot

The best single disc mix of both eras is:

The Very Best Of Booker T. & The MG's (Rhino 71738)
* Green Onions * Chinese Checkers * Groovin' * Soul Dressing * Boot-Leg *
My Sweet Potato * Slim Jenkin's Place * Booker-Loo * Hip Hug-Her * Mo'
Onions * Soul-Limbo * Hang 'Em High * Time Is Tight * Mrs. Robinson * Slum
Baby * Melting Pot

Or, if you're an obsessive fan like me, you can by everything they put
out, which has now all been reissued.

Bob Roman

Bwana Don

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
here's a 30 second .wav sample of Mike Sharpe's "Spooky" for those who
never heard it:

http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/6951/spooky.wav

Dan the Man
Cleveland, Ohio
The Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame City
P-M WebTV Plus User

GO, TRIBE, GO!

See my site at:
http://jump.to/danny

Paul Scott

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
Crazy Charlie wrote:

> UNDERWATER - Frogmen (Candix) 1961
> RINKY DINK - Dave Baby Cortez (Chess) 1962
> APACHE - Jorgen Innmann (Atco) 1961
> SWINGIN' SAFARI - Billy Vaughn (Dot) 1962
> POMP & CIRCUMSTANCE - Adrian Kimberly (Calliope) 1961
> JACK THE RIPPER - Link Wray (Swan) 1963
> SPOOKY - Mike Sharpe (Liberty) 1967
> CASATCHOK - Alexander Karazov (Jamie) 1969
> LOOK FOR A STAR - Billy Vaughn (Dot) 1960
> PERCOLATOR - Billy Jo & CHeckmates (Dore) 1962
> STICK SHIFT - DUals (Sue) 1961
> CAST YOUR FATE TO THE WIND - Sounds Orchestral (Parkway) & Vince Guaraldi
> (Fantasy) 66/63
> THAT HAPPY FEELING - Bert Kaempfertg (Decca) 62

Ja Da (Whistling Jack Smith) 1967
Hawaii Tattoo (Waikikis ) 1961
Blue Moon (Ventures) 1961
Hungry For Love (San Remo Golden Strings) 1965
Monte Carlo (Tornadoes) 1964
Happy Cowboy (Billy Vaughan) 1961
Should I (Stringalongs) 1961
Balboa Blue (Marketts) 1961
The La Dee Dah Song (Village Stompers) 1964
Chariot Rock (Champs) 1958
Harlem Nocturne (Viscounts) 1960
Lost Love (H B Barnum) 1961
I Will Follow You (Him) Frank Pourcel and his French Strings 1963
Shangrila (Robert Maxwell) 1964
The Lonely Surfer (Jack Nitzsche) 1963
Begin The Beguine (Stomp) The Original Checkmates (Pye) 1961
Summer Holiday (The Prediktors) 1965 Imperial

IISergioII

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
MUSIC TO WATCH GIRLS BY

JAVA

THEME FROM A MAN AND A WOMAN

THEME FROM "THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR" I.E. THE WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND

NO MATTER WHAT SHAPE (YOUR STOMACH'S IN)

CLASSICAL GAS

A TASTE OF HONEY

WHAT NOW MY LOVE

Dean F.

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
Serumgard wrote:

> The Ventures, on the other hand, although saddly neglected and mostly
> unreleased in the States, are still together, still recording, still touring! I
> thought they had given up in the early seventies because of the lack of
> airplay, and never seeing any new product in the stores.

Unreleased in the United States? Not anymore! Many (if not all) of the Ventures
Liberty LPs have been reissued on CD, two albums per disc. And EMI's "Best of the
Ventures" CD is magnificent!

Earthjuice

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98
Thanks for that .wav file......."Spooky" sure was a cool song wasn't it?
Yet another good exmple of "blue-eyed soul"?

--
//\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\/
The Sounds Of The City

Bwana Don <Bwan...@webtv.net> wrote in article
<10409-35...@asg-103.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

joegl...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
In article <199809132337...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
bigst...@aol.com (BigStar303) wrote:
> Norm wrote:
>
> *************

> >>::: SPOOKY - Mike Sharpe (Liberty) 1967
>
> Where was this a hit, or even played? I see it charted low in Billboard, but I
> never heard it.<<
> *************
>
> I couldn't tell you where (it seems to me I was on vacation rather than at home
> when I heard it), but this did get played on the radio somewhere. And it
> PREDATED The Classics IV's version. I'm very certain of this, because I had a
> flash of instant recognition when the vocal version came out.

About two years before The Classics IV's "Spooky" came out, musicians Mike
Shapiro and Harry Middlebrooks penned the instrumental version, with Mike on
saxaphone and Harry on organ. It was then recorded at The LeFevre Sound
Studio in Atlanta. It did well regionally, but then faded. Guitarist J.R.
Cobb (Classics IV) and producer Buddy Buie, who were working for the same
publishing company, Lowery Music, heard the tune and decided to put words to
it. The song was re-recorded with Mike Shapiro (Sharpe) returning to lay down
the saxaphone track. The rest is history. In fact, most of The Classics IV
sax solos feature Shapiro.

Joe Glickman
(producer of the documentary "Traces of Love: The Story of The Classics IV")

JSmith357

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98

You're correct... and it was played here in Pittsburgh for a while too;
although not a lot.
By the way, did you know that some of the original members of the Classic IV
went on to become the Atlanta Rhythm Section? And they re-recorded the song in
1979 and it was a marginal hit.

searc...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
In article <35FDF918...@earthlink.net>,
> Ventures" CD is magnificent! Sure is!!!

WILLIAM MELTON

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
Anybody know if 'The Ventures' (Batman & Agents Themes) is available in
Stereo?? If any Ventures LPs were intended for stereo listening, surely
this one & 'Super Psychedelics'.

David J. Coyle

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
There's also a new Ventures compilation called "Pops In Japan" featuring
many songs the Ventures recorded for Japanese consumption. They are
still legends in the land of the rising sun. Have been since at least
1965 ("Live In Japan '65" is must listening for anybody), when their
first tour inspired everybody who swung an ax there.

Listen to almost anything from the late '60s Japanese "Group Sounds"
movement and you will hear somebody trying to be Don Wilson or Nokie
Edwards at some point.

I was fortunate enough to see the Ventures in Columbus, Ohio this past
summer. It was jaw-droppingly magnificent. Don Wilson's rhythm guitar
clanging cut through the air like a knife, and I was at his feet the
whole time. It was probably the most amazing musical event I've been
present for (although the Metronomes reunion I mentioned a few weeks ago
comes close).

Dave

Billy G.

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
Dear Bill:

The "Batman Theme" album is availble in Stereo as a two fer with the 1977 album
"TV Themes" from See-For-Miles Records in the UK who have a great set of
Ventures Two-Fers.

Except for "Scecret Agent Man" and "007-11" all the tracks are in true stereo!
I have no idea why One Way couldnt have found the stereo master tapes unless
they have been damaged or have disapeared. Thank goodness for safety copies!

Billy G. Spradlin
bil...@NOSPAMkilgore.net
(To E-mail Me remove NOSPAM from my Address)

In article <2179-361...@newsd-224.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
BillM...@webtv.net says...