LOU CHRISTIE

Roger Ford

Feb 19, 2005, 8:45:09 AM2/19/05
I'm going to see how this flies......a small piece---from a personal
perspective----on one of the names that appear in today's "Who's Got A
Birthday" post.......

Today...............LOU CHRISTIE

Most of his stuff is off topic here but Lou Christie came to
prominence in our time period (just)....in 1963 to be exact....with a
pair of hits on Roulette (both of which appeared here on Columbia)
that introduced me to the singer. I liked his style straight off since
he specialized in the same kind of falsetto as my current favorites of
the time The Four Seasons (courtesy of Frankie Valli).

"The Gypsy Cried" was so so but "Two Faces Have I" was a terrific
falsetto sound and became a mainstay on my turntable for months.

His big moment in the sun came in 1966 with his biggest (and best)
record "Lightnin' Strikes" on MGM (released in 1965) that was a #1 in
the US and a Top 10 record in Britain and remains a huge favorite of
mine from this era.

Christie managed to stay reasonably popular right thru the 60's
returning to the charts with a bang in 1969 with "I'm Gonna Make You
Mine" on Buddah that was a big transatlantic hit and would up as his
biggest ever success in Britain (tho its marred somewhat for me by the
screechy chorus). He carried on recording for an array of small labels
for decades afterwards.

Tho oft reputed to be gay Christie gained a lot of media attention on
these shores in the mid 60's when he apparently proposed marriage to
the singer Timi Yuro during a rendezvous at the Savoy Hotel in London.

My Top Five Lou Christie records :-

1. Lightnin' Strikes

2. Two Faces Have I

3. Rhapsody In The Rain

4. How Many Teardrops

5. The Gypsy Cried

ROGER FORD
-----------------------
an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk).

BACKING THE LONDON BID FOR THE 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES!!

Mr. M

Feb 19, 2005, 9:04:53 AM2/19/05

6. Indian Lady- this is a pretty good one by him that came out about
a year after "I'm Gonna Make You Mine". It got some airplay but did
not crack the top 100.

MN

Regnad Kcin

Feb 19, 2005, 12:14:46 PM2/19/05
"Roger Ford" <mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> Tho oft reputed to be gay Christie gained a lot of media attention on
> these shores in the mid 60's when he apparently proposed marriage to
> the singer Timi Yuro during a rendezvous at the Savoy Hotel in London.

Well it also was oft reported that Timi Yuro was a lesbian. Yes she was
married and had children, but it was also reported that at her bedside when
she died was her family and a long time female companion.

The last time I saw Lou was 9 years ago. He has a daughter from his only
marriage, Francesca, who was also his business manager at the time. He once
told me that he has an older son from a time before he was married that he
couldn't talk about.

Tregembo

Feb 19, 2005, 2:50:33 PM2/19/05

"Roger Ford" <mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Also one of my favorites. I would add Lou's version of "Oh Holy Night;"
perfectly suited for his falsetto.

BTW, if he's gay it didn't stop him from producing a knockout daughter.
There are a few photos of her at his website:

http://www.lou-christie.com/

Ray Arthur

Mark Dintenfass

Feb 19, 2005, 4:13:49 PM2/19/05
In article <YOmdnc-FLII...@iwvisp.com>, Tregembo

> BTW, if he's gay it didn't stop him from producing a knockout daughter.
> There are a few photos of her at his website:
>
> http://www.lou-christie.com/

So what do we make of a guy who to promote his website puts up very hot
photos of his own daughter? Very little fazes me when it comes to
salaciousness, but this left me feeling a but queasy.

--
--md
_________

Bob Roman

Feb 19, 2005, 4:28:29 PM2/19/05
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:13:49 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
<mdint...@xxnew.rr.com> wrote:

>In article <YOmdnc-FLII...@iwvisp.com>, Tregembo
>> BTW, if he's gay it didn't stop him from producing a knockout daughter.
>> There are a few photos of her at his website:
>> http://www.lou-christie.com/
>
>So what do we make of a guy who to promote his website puts up very hot
>photos of his own daughter? Very little fazes me when it comes to
>salaciousness, but this left me feeling a but queasy.

And underneath the photos are her measurements. My only hope is that
he actually has very little to do with putting together the site.

Bob Roman

fred.w...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2005, 5:23:14 PM2/19/05

Bob Roman wrote:
> And underneath the photos are her measurements. My only hope is that
> he actually has very little to do with putting together the site.

The page is set up like a usual model's composite, which usually
includes measurements and shoe/dress size, so that's why the numbers
are there. I do think it is tacky to use the composite on her father's
website, however. She's done some legitimate modeling, from what I can
see from available sources, but it also seems she (or someone else with
the same name)has done a couple shoots for Playboy. We should be happy
Dad didn't use those photos, I guess.

mvsh...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2014, 2:39:43 PM4/26/14
I thought Francesca was Lou's wife ('70s), and that his daughter was named Bianca.

Skyline