Name that ooky spooky tune

Bill Edwards

Aug 31, 2001, 5:44:51 PM8/31/01
I have also had a request from a fan concerning the origin of one of
those familiar ditties, right up there with Shave and a Hair Cut, that
most of us as ragtime players should know. I will spend the evening
trying to track it down, but thought I would make my first stop with my
esteemed colleagues who amy already have an answer. It is used (she said
with villians) often as "spooky music" in cartoons, notably some early
Disneys.

Here is the notation in netspeak using measure separators, and it will
only make since using a fixed font.

|: C3 Eb3 G3 C4 | Ab3 G3 F3 Eb3 D3 :|

I would sense that it is classical in origin, romantic era specifically,
but it actually may have been composed by Carl Stalling or one of that
ilk. I incorporated the theme briefly in an interlude of my recording of
Wenrich's Skeleton Rag if that helps
(http://www.perfessorbill.com/midi/skeleton.mid), but I think it is
familiar enough.

While we're at it, does anybody know who wrote "Nabisco" and "By
Mennen"? Somebody had to, and he/she probably made a small bundle doing
it.

With thanks and hopes of resolution, Bill E.

Mark Lutton

Sep 1, 2001, 1:32:36 AM9/1/01
It's right there in Fuld's "The Book of World-Famous Music", but of
course you can't look it up because you don't know the title, just like
you can't use the dictionary to find out how to spell a word if you
don't know how to spell the word.

The title is "Mysterioso Pizzicato".

"The first known appearance of this music is in the 'Remick Folio of
Moving Picture Music,' vol. I, published March 24, 1914, by Jerome H.
Remick & Co., New York and Detroit."

"The music was played as a background to scary scenes in the old silent
movies."

The book was compiled and edited by J. Bodewalt Lampe, who may or may
not have written the tune.

It is also known as "Here comes the villain". P.D.Q. Bach knew it as
"Da kommt ja der Schurke" and used it as the cantus firmus of The
Musical Sacrifice (S. 50% off), published (if at all) by Theodore
Presser Company and available on Telarc CD-80376 or <A
href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000003D0F/qid%3D999322191/002-8669442-4973625">here</A>.

Bill Edwards

Sep 1, 2001, 7:07:38 PM9/1/01
Thanks Mark. I figgered that you would likely be the first candidate to
contribute. Appreciated.

Bill E.