A recent prog reality check.

1 view

Crimso

Aug 16, 2002, 7:46:31 PM8/16/02
So there I am in my living room happily watching my Magma "Trilogie au
Trianon" DVD, thoroughly enjoying every minute, when my wife walks into
the room to see what I'm doing. Now, she doesn't like prog but is always
willing to experience things that I like, plus she knows as much about
Magma as I've told her over the years. So there she is watching the DVD
and after about 30 seconds starts laughing hysterically. She shakes her
head and walks away laughing. I turned back to the DVD and after about a
minute started seeing what she might have found funny. Come to think of
it, Magma *is* pretty comical when you see it from the perspective of
someone who isn't an overly serious proghead.

--
Guess we need robots for Ronnie
A stainless steel group of chums

Alex Temple

Aug 16, 2002, 8:00:28 PM8/16/02
Crimso wrote:

> So there I am in my living room happily watching my Magma "Trilogie au
> Trianon" DVD, thoroughly enjoying every minute, when my wife walks into
> the room to see what I'm doing. Now, she doesn't like prog but is always
> willing to experience things that I like, plus she knows as much about
> Magma as I've told her over the years. So there she is watching the DVD
> and after about 30 seconds starts laughing hysterically. She shakes her
> head and walks away laughing. I turned back to the DVD and after about a
> minute started seeing what she might have found funny. Come to think of
> it, Magma *is* pretty comical when you see it from the perspective of
> someone who isn't an overly serious proghead.

I think it's one of their positive points, actually.

--
Alex Temple - NP: Biota - Object Holder
fiber_optiq at yahoo dot com

Robbobell

Aug 16, 2002, 8:24:51 PM8/16/02
<< Magma *is* pretty comical when you see it from the perspective of
> someone who isn't an overly serious proghead. >>

I have never seen them, but I have heard all the records and the stories of
life on the road with Christian Vander.

The word that comes to mind is "scary".

Comedy or humor has never been a word I associate with Magma, you will have to
illuminate that statement I'm afraid. Good lord, does this mean I'm a serious
"proghead"?

cap...@hotmail.com

Aug 16, 2002, 7:39:01 PM8/16/02
On 16 Aug 2002 23:46:31 GMT, Crimso <crimsonking*@nycmail.com> wrote:

>So there I am in my living room happily watching my Magma "Trilogie au
>Trianon" DVD, thoroughly enjoying every minute, when my wife walks into
>the room to see what I'm doing. Now, she doesn't like prog but is always
>willing to experience things that I like, plus she knows as much about
>Magma as I've told her over the years. So there she is watching the DVD
>and after about 30 seconds starts laughing hysterically. She shakes her
>head and walks away laughing. I turned back to the DVD and after about a
>minute started seeing what she might have found funny. Come to think of
>it, Magma *is* pretty comical when you see it from the perspective of
>someone who isn't an overly serious proghead.

So...I guess Kobaia isn't at the top of the list of "romantic getaway
spots" for you two then, huh?

Crimso

Aug 16, 2002, 9:16:51 PM8/16/02
robb...@aol.comSPAMTHIS (Robbobell) wrote on 16 Aug 2002:

> << Magma *is* pretty comical when you see it from the perspective of
>> someone who isn't an overly serious proghead. >>

**snipped**

> you
> will have to illuminate that statement I'm afraid. Good lord, does
> this mean I'm a serious "proghead"?

Let me see if I can put it succinctly. Prog fans pride themselves, and I
believe rightfully so, with being openminded. However, I also think that
prog fans, or "progheads" as I put it in my original post, also seem to be
willing to accept ridiculousness and take it seriously. Then, again, the
"hair bands" of the 80s, I'm sure, were taken seriously by their fans as
well.

Crimso

Aug 16, 2002, 9:18:42 PM8/16/02
cap...@hotmail.com wrote on 16 Aug 2002:

> So...I guess Kobaia isn't at the top of the list of "romantic getaway
> spots" for you two then, huh?

It is as long as I'm paying.

Cabeza Borradora

Aug 16, 2002, 8:59:58 PM8/16/02
Robbobell come on down:

Watch their '81 Bobino video, then. Now _that_ is funny.

--
"I don't see evidence of this when talking to most people. Maybe in the younger
crowds who have tattoos and rings on every orifice and genitalia, taking

cap...@hotmail.com

Aug 16, 2002, 11:49:09 PM8/16/02
On 17 Aug 2002 01:18:42 GMT, Crimso <crimsonking*@nycmail.com> wrote:

>cap...@hotmail.com wrote on 16 Aug 2002:
>

>> So...I guess Kobaia isn't at the top of the list of "romantic getaway
>> spots" for you two then, huh?
>>

>It is as long as I'm paying.

There you go. Show 'er who's boss!! ; >

J. Mcglinchey

Aug 17, 2002, 12:14:27 AM8/17/02
On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Cabeza Borradora wrote:

> >Comedy or humor has never been a word I associate with Magma, you will have to
> >illuminate that statement I'm afraid. Good lord, does this mean I'm a serious
> >"proghead"?
>
> Watch their '81 Bobino video, then. Now _that_ is funny.

Ah...Bobino. They NEED that baby on DVD!!! :) whoooz my luuuvvv...

Joe M.

Jack Hesse

Aug 17, 2002, 1:25:27 PM8/17/02
Crimso <crimsonking*@nycmail.com> wrote:

> Come to think of it, Magma *is* pretty comical when
> you see it from the perspective of someone who isn't an overly serious
> proghead.

I had almost daily experiences like this when I used to shuttle my former
roommate to and from work. He would make up little "dancing elves in the
forest" stories to go along with Camel's "The Snow Goose," and dismiss
other stuff with comments like "This sounds like Christmas music," or "This
sounds like Manheim Steamroller." Yeah, to people who don't "get it," it's
all very ridiculous. And even to people who DO "get it," it's still very
ridiculous. But that's the way I like it.

- Jack

cap...@hotmail.com

Aug 17, 2002, 1:42:47 PM8/17/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 17:25:27 GMT, Jack Hesse
<hess...@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>I had almost daily experiences like this when I used to shuttle my former
>roommate to and from work. He would make up little "dancing elves in the
>forest" stories to go along with Camel's "The Snow Goose," and dismiss
>other stuff with comments like "This sounds like Christmas music," or "This
>sounds like Manheim Steamroller." Yeah, to people who don't "get it," it's
>all very ridiculous. And even to people who DO "get it," it's still very
>ridiculous. But that's the way I like it.

Dancing elves, I would have forgiven. Christmas music, even, I could
let slide. But I would have whacked him senseless at the Mannheim
Steamroller comment.

Dave Kerman

Aug 17, 2002, 4:02:48 PM8/17/02
Crimso <crimsonking*@nycmail.com> wrote in message news:<ajk2sn$1h9$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

> So there I am in my living room happily watching my Magma "Trilogie au
> Trianon" DVD, thoroughly enjoying every minute, when my wife walks into
> the room to see what I'm doing. Now, she doesn't like prog but is always
> willing to experience things that I like, plus she knows as much about
> Magma as I've told her over the years. So there she is watching the DVD
> and after about 30 seconds starts laughing hysterically. She shakes her
> head and walks away laughing. I turned back to the DVD and after about a
> minute started seeing what she might have found funny. Come to think of
> it, Magma *is* pretty comical when you see it from the perspective of
> someone who isn't an overly serious proghead.

Could she have been laughing at the facial expressions Vander makes
when he's in a semi-trance ? You know, the jowls flapping back and forth
and the eyes searching for the brain. Personally, it scares me to death
that it might just be necessary to get that "out there" to be so
"in there", but I could imagine someone finding it hysterical.

On the subject of Magma (tho it was introduced on another thread and I
really don't want to start the war again here) please indulge me as I
state my opinion that anyone who thinks they're not deserving a headline
position at an American festival has most likely never seen them. No
band on the planet could follow them without utter humiliation. It's almost
tempting to make another transatlantic flight to see them, just to watch
the doubting thomases and Marillion fans' brains turn to powder and exit
their nostrils onto their laps.

Magma has ALWAYS captured their audience, even those who don't initially
like their music. A former H.Cow member once told me the story of a bill
in England: H. Cow followed by Magma supporting Hawkwind. It was at a
soccer stadium somewhere. During Cow's set, the audience was SCREAMING
"Hawkwind, Hawkwind" and booing. Throughout much of Magma's set-up, the
audience did not let up. When Magma were introduced the booing and screaming
for Hawkwind was stepped up a few notches, which apparently angered Klaus
Blazquiz, who screamed back over the PA, "FUCK HAWKWIND..WE ARE MAGMA !!
HA-MA-TAI !! They broke into Khontarkoz, and by the end of the fusion
section, the audience were SCREAMING, "Magma, Magma !!". When Hawkwind
finally took to the stage they were still ravenously screaming for Magma,
which upset Hawkwind. Thruoughout much of their set the audience was now
not letting up their Magma chant, and Hawkwind, unfortunately HUMILIATED,
cut their set short.

It is dangerous for any band's rep to have to follow Magma, and the
promoters of the festival are well aware of this. The new band, though
recieving lots of tough criticisms from some older Magma fans is more
than top notch. They will put to shame every other group at the festival,
they always do. They're more than head and shoulders above anything else,
and nothing today in composed rock music approaches their caliber. There,
I've said my Peace. Sorry to have rambled.

Alex Temple

Aug 17, 2002, 4:27:20 PM8/17/02
Dave Kerman wrote:

> No band on the planet could follow them without utter humiliation.

Didn't they tour with Gong in the 70s, alternating the headline spot?

> Throughout much of Magma's set-up, the
> audience did not let up. When Magma were introduced the booing and screaming
> for Hawkwind was stepped up a few notches, which apparently angered Klaus
> Blazquiz, who screamed back over the PA, "FUCK HAWKWIND..WE ARE MAGMA !!
> HA-MA-TAI !! They broke into Khontarkoz, and by the end of the fusion
> section, the audience were SCREAMING, "Magma, Magma !!". When Hawkwind
> finally took to the stage they were still ravenously screaming for Magma,
> which upset Hawkwind. Thruoughout much of their set the audience was now
> not letting up their Magma chant, and Hawkwind, unfortunately HUMILIATED,
> cut their set short.

Hah, great story. I can't wait to see them.

--
Alex Temple

sdavmor

Aug 17, 2002, 5:00:00 PM8/17/02
Dave Kerman wrote:

[snip]

> On the subject of Magma (tho it was introduced on another thread and I
> really don't want to start the war again here) please indulge me as I
> state my opinion that anyone who thinks they're not deserving a headline
> position at an American festival has most likely never seen them. No
> band on the planet could follow them without utter humiliation. It's almost
> tempting to make another transatlantic flight to see them, just to watch
> the doubting thomases and Marillion fans' brains turn to powder and exit
> their nostrils onto their laps.
>
> Magma has ALWAYS captured their audience, even those who don't initially
> like their music. A former H.Cow member once told me the story of a bill
> in England: H. Cow followed by Magma supporting Hawkwind. It was at a
> soccer stadium somewhere. During Cow's set, the audience was SCREAMING
> "Hawkwind, Hawkwind" and booing. Throughout much of Magma's set-up, the
> audience did not let up. When Magma were introduced the booing and screaming
> for Hawkwind was stepped up a few notches, which apparently angered Klaus
> Blazquiz, who screamed back over the PA, "FUCK HAWKWIND..WE ARE MAGMA !!
> HA-MA-TAI !! They broke into Khontarkoz, and by the end of the fusion
> section, the audience were SCREAMING, "Magma, Magma !!". When Hawkwind
> finally took to the stage they were still ravenously screaming for Magma,
> which upset Hawkwind. Thruoughout much of their set the audience was now
> not letting up their Magma chant, and Hawkwind, unfortunately HUMILIATED,
> cut their set short.

Great story!

> It is dangerous for any band's rep to have to follow Magma, and the
> promoters of the festival are well aware of this. The new band, though
> recieving lots of tough criticisms from some older Magma fans is more
> than top notch. They will put to shame every other group at the festival,
> they always do. They're more than head and shoulders above anything else,
> and nothing today in composed rock music approaches their caliber. There,
> I've said my Peace. Sorry to have rambled.

Dave hits it right on the head. I took my associate Greg Amov to see
Magma in 1999 at the HOB. Greg went because he's a good sport and he
really wanted to see Porcupine Tree, and have a free dinner on me. He
would tolerate Magma because of our friendship. He left there a 100%
freaked-out Magma convert after they'd delivered a mind-bending set of
astonishing passion and virtuoisty. He needed a winch to put his jaw back
into place. I laughed all the way home, 'cos I knew going in they'd be
like a bukcet of ice-water in his face!
--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st century schizoid man

J. Mcglinchey

Aug 17, 2002, 7:16:09 PM8/17/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 cap...@hotmail.com wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 17:25:27 GMT, Jack Hesse
> <hess...@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I had almost daily experiences like this when I used to shuttle my former
> >roommate to and from work. He would make up little "dancing elves in the
> >forest" stories to go along with Camel's "The Snow Goose," and dismiss
> >other stuff with comments like "This sounds like Christmas music," or "This
> >sounds like Manheim Steamroller." Yeah, to people who don't "get it," it's
>

> Dancing elves, I would have forgiven. Christmas music, even, I could
> let slide. But I would have whacked him senseless at the Mannheim
> Steamroller comment.

If he knows what Mannheim Steamroller sounds like, that's punishment
enough. ;)

Joe M.

Cabeza Borradora

Aug 17, 2002, 7:26:03 PM8/17/02
Dave Kerman come on down:

>Magma has ALWAYS captured their audience, even those who don't initially
>like their music. A former H.Cow member once told me the story of a bill
>in England: H. Cow followed by Magma supporting Hawkwind. It was at a
>soccer stadium somewhere. During Cow's set, the audience was SCREAMING
>"Hawkwind, Hawkwind" and booing. Throughout much of Magma's set-up, the
>audience did not let up. When Magma were introduced the booing and screaming
>for Hawkwind was stepped up a few notches, which apparently angered Klaus
>Blazquiz, who screamed back over the PA, "FUCK HAWKWIND..WE ARE MAGMA !!
>HA-MA-TAI !!"

This is my new motto.

Ben Wolfson

Aug 17, 2002, 9:04:36 PM8/17/02
On 17 Aug 2002 13:02:48 -0700, kerma...@yahoo.com (Dave Kerman) wrote:

>Magma has ALWAYS captured their audience, even those who don't initially
>like their music.

I found this (excerpted from an article in the Village Voice, of all
places) pretty amusing:

"French prog-rock heroes Magma, on the other hand, had the clock on their
team at their first NYC appearance in 25 years or so. I spent half an hour
(meaning the first two-thirds of the first song) snickering at their
excesses (extended tweedly solos, a row of vocalists harmonizing in the
language that drummer Christian Vander invented, Vander's geekgasm faces)
before I noticed my middle and ring fingers curling into the international
"this rocks" sign."

--
BTR
You're going to set me up as a kind of slovenly attached pig that

Min Yoon

Aug 18, 2002, 10:58:45 PM8/18/02
The sight of Christian Vander scared me too. Especially at the end of Wurdah Itah, where the
female choir are chanting in a very demonic way(Armageddon!), and Vander is playing the drums
with his eyes flipped over and shaking his head. Wow!

It would have been even better if Klaus Blazquiz was there to provide his shrieks (I am
assuming the shrieks are coming from him, am I correct?). I always get the chills in the
middle part of Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh, where the guy really lets loose. I am considering
a "transpacific" flight to see them next year, as I was totally impressed by the DVD. In the
meantime, I plan to convert my girlfriend to at least tolerate Magma (it's going to be a tough
task). Is Magma coming to next year's Nearfest with the choir? I certainly hope so. And what
is Mr. Klaus Blazquiz doing these days?

Min.Yoon.vcf

googlesux

Aug 18, 2002, 11:20:16 PM8/18/02
Crimso <crimsonking*@nycmail.com> wrote in message news:<ajk863$o7l$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

> Let me see if I can put it succinctly. Prog fans pride themselves, and I
> believe rightfully so, with being openminded. However, I also think that
> prog fans, or "progheads" as I put it in my original post, also seem to be
> willing to accept ridiculousness and take it seriously.

I haven't seen any live footage of Magma, but I've seen enough still
photos of Vander to get an idea of what they look like live, and while
I can see it being sort of amusing, I doubt it looks much more
ridiculous than many opera singers look when they're making the kind
of facial contortions they need to make to get the sounds they're
going for. But I don't think people laugh at the opera singers that
much (except maybe the 3 tenors).

Shameless Marillion plug: I've always admired Steve Hogarth from
Marillion for his willingness to look pretty strange in order to get
the right notes. I wouldn't be able to do what any of the above
mentioned vocalists do, and I admire their willingness to look silly
for their art. Now, people who look silly, but whos art isn't good
(I'm thinking of rap here; I know, shame on me!) -- they just look
silly.

Jed

googlesux

Aug 18, 2002, 11:27:33 PM8/18/02
kerma...@yahoo.com (Dave Kerman) wrote in message news:<20515bc5.02081...@posting.google.com>...

> On the subject of Magma (tho it was introduced on another thread and I
> really don't want to start the war again here) please indulge me as I
> state my opinion that anyone who thinks they're not deserving a headline
> position at an American festival has most likely never seen them. No
> band on the planet could follow them without utter humiliation. It's almost
> tempting to make another transatlantic flight to see them, just to watch
> the doubting thomases and Marillion fans' brains turn to powder and exit
> their nostrils onto their laps.

Why is it some people seem to find it an impossibility that there are
people who like both Magma and Marillion (or similar combinations)? Do
they also think no one could like both Magma and Neil Young, or Magma
and Frank Sinatra? I guess I have to give them the benefit of the
doubt and assume they just think Marillion are no good, rather than
that maybe they think if one likes Magma he can't like anything that's
not as "out there" as Magma.

Jed

Jeremy Weissenburger

Aug 19, 2002, 12:13:17 AM8/19/02
On 8/16/02 7:46 PM, in article ajk2sn$1h9$1...@bob.news.rcn.net, "Crimso"
<crimsonking*@nycmail.com> wrote:

> So there I am in my living room happily watching my Magma "Trilogie au
> Trianon" DVD, thoroughly enjoying every minute, when my wife walks into
> the room to see what I'm doing. Now, she doesn't like prog but is always
> willing to experience things that I like, plus she knows as much about
> Magma as I've told her over the years. So there she is watching the DVD
> and after about 30 seconds starts laughing hysterically. She shakes her
> head and walks away laughing. I turned back to the DVD and after about a
> minute started seeing what she might have found funny. Come to think of
> it, Magma *is* pretty comical when you see it from the perspective of
> someone who isn't an overly serious proghead.

I have tried to explain Magma to others, and they look at me in disbelief.

And I'm not even a big Magma fan.

--Jeremy

Jeremy Weissenburger

Aug 19, 2002, 12:14:14 AM8/19/02
On 8/16/02 9:16 PM, in article ajk863$o7l$1...@bob.news.rcn.net, "Crimso"
<crimsonking*@nycmail.com> wrote:

> Then, again, the
> "hair bands" of the 80s, I'm sure, were taken seriously by their fans as
> well.

Unfortunately, they still are.

--Jeremy

Crimso

Aug 19, 2002, 12:35:58 AM8/19/02
Jeremy Weissenburger <jweisse...@comcast.net> wrote on 19 Aug 2002:

> I have tried to explain Magma to others, and they look at me in
> disbelief.
>
> And I'm not even a big Magma fan.

The quickest way that I explain Magma to the uninitiated is that it sounds
like rock mixed with jazz mixed with opera. That or I say it's what all
rock music would sound like if Germany had won World War 2.

Cannot Understand Why You Dis AOL

Aug 19, 2002, 12:48:33 AM8/19/02
>Subject: Re: A recent prog reality check.
>From: robb...@aol.comSPAMTHIS (Robbobell)
>Date: 8/16/02 8:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time

er...a bunch of Frenchmen/women declaiming in Wagnerian fashion in a made-up
language , to a jazz-rock backing?

Magma has always struck me as fairly ridiculous. But it they didn't take
themselves
seriously the music probably wouldn't work.

_______
-S.

Eudaemoniac

Aug 19, 2002, 1:05:17 AM8/19/02
> That or I say it's what all
>rock music would sound like if Germany had won World War 2.

They didn't?

Crimso

Aug 19, 2002, 8:18:20 AM8/19/02

Well, considering all the German scientists and spies that came over to
the U.S., and considering America's post-war virulent anti-communism, you
may be right.

Noah Samuel Lesgold

Aug 19, 2002, 10:10:42 AM8/19/02
jkl...@my-deja.com (googlesux) writes:

> kerma...@yahoo.com (Dave Kerman) wrote in message news:<20515bc5.02081...@posting.google.com>...

> > It's almost
> > tempting to make another transatlantic flight to see them, just to watch
> > the doubting thomases and Marillion fans' brains turn to powder and exit
> > their nostrils onto their laps.
>
> Why is it some people seem to find it an impossibility that there are
> people who like both Magma and Marillion (or similar combinations)? Do
> they also think no one could like both Magma and Neil Young, or Magma
> and Frank Sinatra? I guess I have to give them the benefit of the
> doubt and assume they just think Marillion are no good, rather than
> that maybe they think if one likes Magma he can't like anything that's
> not as "out there" as Magma.

FWIW, I like Magma and Marillion, and a good chunk of my friends feel
likewise. Neil Young is fine when he keeps his mouth shut.

--
Noah Lesgold
http://nlesgold.freeshell.org/

Dave Kerman

Aug 19, 2002, 10:14:25 AM8/19/02
jkl...@my-deja.com (googlesux) wrote in message news:<589947d5.02081...@posting.google.com>...

Sorry, Uncle Jed, but you got me wrong. I was referring to the Marillion
fans who were disappointed that Magama, not Mariliion, are to be the
headline act at the next NEARfest, many of whom went so far as to say that
Magma don't "deserve" that spot on the bill. Heck, I've been known to
put chocolate syrup on swordfish in restaurants, so I'm not at all so
closed-minded as some on this NG assume. And I agree with your point: I
like Magma, but then again I like the Carpenters too, so I assume some
people out there must like both Magma AND Marillion.

Dave

Cabeza Borradora

Aug 19, 2002, 11:12:14 AM8/19/02
Min Yoon come on down:

>The sight of Christian Vander scared me too. Especially at the end of Wurdah Itah, where the
>female choir are chanting in a very demonic way(Armageddon!), and Vander is playing the drums
>with his eyes flipped over and shaking his head. Wow!
>
>It would have been even better if Klaus Blazquiz was there to provide his shrieks (I am
>assuming the shrieks are coming from him, am I correct?).

Nope, Vander does the falsetto shrieks. (He rarely if ever has done that part
of MDK live, however.)

Zero the Hero

Aug 19, 2002, 2:38:43 PM8/19/02
Min Yoon <Min....@oracle.com> wrote in message news:<3D605EE5...@oracle.com>...

> It would have been even better if Klaus Blazquiz was there to provide his shrieks (I am
> assuming the shrieks are coming from him, am I correct?). I always get the chills in the
> middle part of Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh, where the guy really lets loose.

That's Vander, actually. Most of the really good (male) singing on
the albums is Vander.

0

Jeremy Weissenburger

Aug 19, 2002, 8:15:25 PM8/19/02
On 8/19/02 12:35 AM, in article ajpsje$qk6$1...@bob.news.rcn.net, "Crimso"
<crimsonking*@nycmail.com> wrote:

> Jeremy Weissenburger <jweisse...@comcast.net> wrote on 19 Aug 2002:
>

>> I have tried to explain Magma to others, and they look at me in
>> disbelief.
>>
>> And I'm not even a big Magma fan.
>
> The quickest way that I explain Magma to the uninitiated is that it sounds
> like rock mixed with jazz mixed with opera. That or I say it's what all
> rock music would sound like if Germany had won World War 2.

That'd go over well with my wife, who's Jewish. :P

--Jeremy

Min Yoon

Aug 19, 2002, 8:55:23 PM8/19/02
That's Vander's voice? Wow, that's gross! (just kidding) I thought he only sang on a few of their
songs from the late 70's. Anyway, that's a big surprise for me. Then what about the male vocals in
the beginning of Kohntarkosz Part 1, and the shrieks near the end of Kohntarkosz Part 2? Are they
also coming from Vander? If so, what are some of Klaus Blazquiz's prominent vocal parts on their
albums? I am so confused...

And if it's not too much trouble, I would like to ask another question. Is Stella Vander's solo
album any good? What does it sound like? I have been very much impressed by albums made by "Magma
family members", such as Zao, Weidorje and Jannick Top, and I am seeking more albums in that vein.
I have also checked out similar Zeuhl bands such as Happy Family, Dun and Bubu (they were great!).
I have been searching for Eskaton's "4 Visions" album, but it seems almost impossible to find it.
Just about all reviews I've read about Eskaton highly praised their album. Any further
recommendations?

Min.Yoon.vcf

Witch of Capri

Aug 20, 2002, 2:23:38 AM8/20/02
Zero the Hero wrote:

>> It would have been even better if Klaus Blazquiz was there to provide his
>shrieks (I am
>> assuming the shrieks are coming from him, am I correct?). I always get the
>chills in the
>> middle part of Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh, where the guy really lets
>loose.
>
>That's Vander, actually. Most of the really good (male) singing on
>the albums is Vander.

Replace "really good" with "high-pitched." Blasquiz is by no means a bad
vocalist. Technically I think he's a far more accomplished singer than Vander
and has obviously been trained. But he does have a very different vocal range.
I think it's sad that some people equate "good singing" with "ability to sing
really high."

MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

make GEORYN disappear to reply

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:nothing

Udo Gerhards

Aug 20, 2002, 2:57:57 AM8/20/02
wrote:
>On the subject of Magma (tho it was introduced on another thread and I
>really don't want to start the war again here) please indulge me as I
>state my opinion that anyone who thinks they're not deserving a headline
>position at an American festival has most likely never seen them. No
>band on the planet could follow them without utter humiliation.

I agree entirely about Magma being one of the greatest live
experiences out there. But I have to disagree (and I really don't say
this just to flatter you!): Present very nearly kicked Magmas ass last
year in Wurzburg. I was utterly exhausted after your set, und although
I really loved to hear Magma play the Trilogie, I still think Present
were the highlight of the festival! (And I'm not the only one who
thinks so: most of my friends who were there felt exactly the same
way). I was quite disappointed when I heard that Present had to cancel
their appearence at this years edition of the festival in Wurzburg,
but as Magma have been announced as replacement(!), I guess this is
the next best thing :-)

Regards,
Udo

Iwan Wirawan

Aug 20, 2002, 6:37:01 AM8/20/02
Here's my recent experience.

A friend of mine, an amateur violonist and having ample knowledge of
classical music, were just telling me proudly that she ripped about ten CDs
previous day, among them are Celine Dijon's, and I gave no comment about
it. When I was showing her a couple of classical CDs I keep in the drawers
of my desk, she caught a glimpse of the other CDs (Cuneiform, Tzadik and
the like), and then scrutinized them closely before saying: "I know none of
them. How did you pick them? Randomly?"
<Sigh.>

Iwan

Robert Carlberg

Aug 20, 2002, 11:04:35 AM8/20/02
>she ripped about ten CDs previous day,
>among them are Celine Dijon's

Pardon me, do you have any Dijon???

cap...@hotmail.com

Aug 20, 2002, 10:49:02 AM8/20/02
On 20 Aug 2002 15:04:35 GMT, rcar...@aol.computer (Robert Carlberg)
wrote:

>>she ripped about ten CDs previous day,
>>among them are Celine Dijon's
>
>Pardon me, do you have any Dijon???

Or perhaps grey poupon? (Or maybe that's grey poupou...)

Box0

Aug 20, 2002, 12:19:44 PM8/20/02
>>>among them are Celine Dijon's
>>
>>Pardon me, do you have any Dijon???
>
>Or perhaps grey poupon? (Or maybe that's grey poupou...)

Poop on Celine Dijon!

progknight

Aug 20, 2002, 2:26:11 PM8/20/02

> >>she ripped about ten CDs previous day,
> >>among them are Celine Dijon's
> >
> >Pardon me, do you have any Dijon???
>
> Or perhaps grey poupon? (Or maybe that's grey poupou...)

Just for your info, do you know that the keyboard player and main musician
of Celine Dion is the former keyboard player and leader of the Canadian
(French Quebec) band name Pollen. Prog can lead to something. He will play
the next 2 years in Las Vegas with Celine.

NP : Ken Baird - Orion

Zero the Hero

Aug 20, 2002, 2:43:10 PM8/20/02
prog...@aol.comGEORYN (Witch of Capri) wrote in message news:<20020820022338...@mb-bd.aol.com>...

> Zero the Hero wrote:
> >That's Vander, actually. Most of the really good (male) singing on
> >the albums is Vander.
>
> Replace "really good" with "high-pitched." Blasquiz is by no means a bad
> vocalist.

No, not later on, like on the non-Magma stuff. He's quite good. But
some of the basso profundo rumbling on the first couple albums are
barely in tune and kind of lack the character he would develop later.
And I never said he was outright bad.

> Technically I think he's a far more accomplished singer than Vander
> and has obviously been trained.

I'm not so sure about. Trained how?

> But he does have a very different vocal range.
> I think it's sad that some people equate "good singing" with "ability to sing
> really high."

No no, that's not what I meant at all. In fact, I kind of wish there
were more bass/baritones in rock.

0

Eudaemoniac

Aug 20, 2002, 2:50:14 PM8/20/02

>Just for your info, do you know that the keyboard player and main musician
>of Celine Dion is the former keyboard player and leader of the Canadian
>(French Quebec) band name Pollen. Prog can lead to something. He will play
>the next 2 years in Las Vegas with Celine.

Someone mentioned that not too long ago. That's fascinating to say the least.
It's a shame that Pollen didn't have more than one one album.

Eudaemoniac

Aug 20, 2002, 3:04:15 PM8/20/02
<therories
>one one

I think I'm drunk without actually having consumed alcohol today, if that's
possible.

Zero the Hero

Aug 20, 2002, 3:13:37 PM8/20/02
Iwan Wirawan <wir...@tsi.enst.fr> wrote in message news:<3D621BCD...@tsi.enst.fr>...

The sigh is because the answer is 'yes', right? :-)

0

cap...@hotmail.com

Aug 20, 2002, 3:00:08 PM8/20/02

Yes, well - we all also know who's written some lyrics for her, don't
we? Long way from the ol' Court, huh?

Mongrel

Aug 20, 2002, 3:24:39 PM8/20/02
progknight wrote:

> Just for your info, do you know that the keyboard player and main musician
> of Celine Dion is the former keyboard player and leader of the Canadian
> (French Quebec) band name Pollen. Prog can lead to something.

Just FYI, Jannick Top has been working with Celine Dion too, besides Johnny
Hallyday (ugh!) and Dave Stewart of Eurythmics fame. Apparently prog can lead
to anything.

Iwan

Dave Kerman

Aug 20, 2002, 3:50:06 PM8/20/02
u...@babyblaue-seiten.de (Udo Gerhards) wrote in message news:<3d61e754...@news.cis.dfn.de>...

Hi, UUdo:

Ah, but you are too kind. Thanks.
Your Pal,
Dave

Robert Carlberg

Aug 20, 2002, 4:53:56 PM8/20/02
>Just FYI, Jannick Top has been working with Celine Dion too,

Not so strange really, when you consider that Celine recorded a whole album
with Top, Blasquiz, Paganotti and Plouvier in the early seventies. It has
remained unreleased so far as I think both parties are embarrassed by how far
apart they are today. Reportedly Celine sings like "Dagmar on acid" and
contributed a song called "Icewaterenema" if you can believe.

C. Norman

Aug 20, 2002, 4:41:34 PM8/20/02
Zero the Hero wrote:

> prog...@aol.comGEORYN (Witch of Capri) wrote in message news:<20020820022338...@mb-bd.aol.com>...
> > Zero the Hero wrote:
> > >That's Vander, actually. Most of the really good (male) singing on
> > >the albums is Vander.
> >
> > Replace "really good" with "high-pitched." Blasquiz is by no means a bad
> > vocalist.
>
> No, not later on, like on the non-Magma stuff. He's quite good. But
> some of the basso profundo rumbling on the first couple albums are
> barely in tune and kind of lack the character he would develop later.
> And I never said he was outright bad.
>
> > Technically I think he's a far more accomplished singer than Vander
> > and has obviously been trained.
>
> I'm not so sure about. Trained how?

Well, to be able to sing stuff like MDK and Kohntarkosz, he has to
sustain a lot of long notes, in various registers, with a strong, even
tone; he has to sing really fast lines over and over again which
often contain fairly difficult intervallic leaps, and he has to do
a lot of it while blending in with the other singers. He may not
actually *be* trained, but it's reasonable to guess that a guy
who can do all that stuff might have some training. Try singing
along with the second half of MDK some time - I'm not a singer
at all, but I know a bit about breathing and using your diaphragm
and so on, and I can't keep up with them!

CN

J. Mcglinchey

Aug 20, 2002, 8:07:26 PM8/20/02
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Mongrel wrote:

> progknight wrote:
>
> > Just for your info, do you know that the keyboard player and main musician
> > of Celine Dion is the former keyboard player and leader of the Canadian
> > (French Quebec) band name Pollen. Prog can lead to something.
>
> Just FYI, Jannick Top has been working with Celine Dion too, besides Johnny

As this makes abundantly clear (read the last review):

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Search/product.asp?ean=74646436325

Classic.

Joe M.

Captain Biffheart

Aug 20, 2002, 8:56:37 PM8/20/02
J. Mcglinchey wrote:

>> Just FYI, Jannick Top has been working with Celine Dion too, besides Johnny
>
>As this makes abundantly clear (read the last review):
>
>http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Search/product.asp?ean=74646436325

Gee, could "Oxygčne" be her Jean-Michel Jarre cover?
Your pal,
Biffy the Elephant Shrew
http://members.aol.com/biffyshrew/biffy.html
http://www.mp3.com/michaelpdawson
"I never met a Republican until I was 21, and it was a
terrifying experience."--Lady Bird Johnson

Cabeza Borradora

Aug 20, 2002, 9:02:54 PM8/20/02
Min Yoon come on down:

>That's Vander's voice? Wow, that's gross! (just kidding) I thought he only sang on a few of their

>songs from the late 70's. Anyway, that's a big surprise for me. Then what about the male vocals in
>the beginning of Kohntarkosz Part 1, and the shrieks near the end of Kohntarkosz Part 2? Are they
>also coming from Vander? If so, what are some of Klaus Blazquiz's prominent vocal parts on their
>albums? I am so confused...

Blasquiz generally sang the bass parts. Check out for instance "Nono" from
Attahk- that's mostly Blasquiz.

>And if it's not too much trouble, I would like to ask another question. Is Stella Vander's solo
>album any good? What does it sound like? I have been very much impressed by albums made by "Magma
>family members", such as Zao, Weidorje and Jannick Top, and I am seeking more albums in that vein.
>I have also checked out similar Zeuhl bands such as Happy Family, Dun and Bubu (they were great!).
>I have been searching for Eskaton's "4 Visions" album, but it seems almost impossible to find it.
>Just about all reviews I've read about Eskaton highly praised their album. Any further
>recommendations?

Well I'd say get into some of the Japanese Zeuhl bands- Bondage Fruit, esp.
the earlier albums, Koenjihyakkei, etc., etc. Stella Vander's album, IIRC,
predates her Magma involvement and has nothing whatsoever to do with that
sound; I am unequipped to discuss its merits otherwise.

Cabeza Borradora

Aug 20, 2002, 9:04:04 PM8/20/02
Udo Gerhards come on down:

>On 17 Aug 2002 13:02:48 -0700, kerma...@yahoo.com (Dave Kerman)
>wrote:
>>On the subject of Magma (tho it was introduced on another thread and I
>>really don't want to start the war again here) please indulge me as I
>>state my opinion that anyone who thinks they're not deserving a headline
>>position at an American festival has most likely never seen them. No
>>band on the planet could follow them without utter humiliation.
>
>I agree entirely about Magma being one of the greatest live
>experiences out there. But I have to disagree (and I really don't say
>this just to flatter you!): Present very nearly kicked Magmas ass last
>year in Wurzburg.

I've heard a bootleg of their Wurzberg set from last year; it wasn't bad by
any means, but wasn't one of their better gigs.

Cabeza Borradora

Aug 20, 2002, 9:05:44 PM8/20/02
Robert Carlberg come on down:

Are you taking the piss here?

Min Yoon

Aug 20, 2002, 10:59:11 PM8/20/02
Wow! Dagmar on acid? That album must really be interesting! And I didn't know
Celine was that old. If she recorded that album in the early seventies, is she
like close fifty right now?
Min.Yoon.vcf

sdavmor

Aug 20, 2002, 11:50:00 PM8/20/02

Now that review is hysterical, and wickedly subversive!
--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st century schizoid man
http://systemstheory.net internet music project
http://thecleanersystem.com software for dry cleaners
NP: nothing

Cabeza Borradora

Aug 20, 2002, 11:21:37 PM8/20/02
Min Yoon come on down:

>Wow! Dagmar on acid? That album must really be interesting! And I didn't know

>Celine was that old. If she recorded that album in the early seventies, is she
>like close fifty right now?

Well, she was five in 1973.

Dave Kerman

Aug 21, 2002, 4:19:47 AM8/21/02
"C. Norman" <c.no...@deleteutoronto.ca> wrote in message news:<3D62A97E...@deleteutoronto.ca>...

> Zero the Hero wrote:
>
> Well, to be able to sing stuff like MDK and Kohntarkosz, he has to
> sustain a lot of long notes, in various registers, with a strong, even
> tone;

Very true, and an understatement at that. Listen to Theuz Haamtaak
on Retrospective 1, at 3min 43 sec. This is a high E, a full two
octaves above his normal range, immaculately held out for 10 seconds,
no falsetto. This is the kind of thing Magma uses as a secret weapon:
ie Traditionally Magma shows extreme restraint, with absolute regard
for the composition. There is no room to show off (save for the
fusiony
parts)because the writing demands the players' undivided discipline.
All of a sudden, out of no-where, the extreme talents become obvious,
to a startling degree. Every player is a masterful one, even today,
and
Klaus Blasquiz is arguably the most talented ever associated with
Magma, aside from Vander.

he has to sing really fast lines over and over again which
> often contain fairly difficult intervallic leaps, and he has to do
> a lot of it while blending in with the other singers. He may not
> actually *be* trained, but it's reasonable to guess that a guy
> who can do all that stuff might have some training. Try singing
> along with the second half of MDK some time - I'm not a singer
> at all, but I know a bit about breathing and using your diaphragm
> and so on, and I can't keep up with them!

Yeagh, man. It's a tongue-twister,too.

And I say to my brother who heard the live tape from Wurzburg and
thought it was not one of their best: These poor guys were plagued
with some unmerciful technical problems all night, and were exhausted
as it was when they arrived. The Keyboards went out- but they kept
playing. Phillipe broke not one, but two bass strings in less than
as many minutes ( a nightmare to be sure because Magma's bassists
are required to tune their instruments like cellos, not normal bass)
but he kept going, simply because he's a bloody warrior. Finally,
the left side of the monitors gave out, and so they had to stop to fix
things. Given the extent of their difficulties, I swear their show
was still unbeatable. So listen to it again, and try to give it a
sympathetic ear, and maybe you'll hear it as I saw it: As one of their
very best performances because it showed their level of competancy
while battling "Murphy's Law". (I would LOVE a copy, by the way)

Oh, CB, take special note of the solo section in MDK. This is
that ripping 7/16 riff guitar solo. If you listen carefully you'll
notice Vander is playing in 1/2 speed 4/4, trying pourposefully to
mess
the others up. They held on for dear life, eyes rolled back in the
head
searching for grey matter whilst grimacing and smiling. They were
FLAWLESS. I was amazed. (Yeagh, I NEED A COPY OF THIS. If this is
possible,
please contact me person-like and perhaps we can do a trade ? Thanks.

Dave

Zero the Hero

Aug 21, 2002, 2:17:32 PM8/21/02
rcar...@aol.computer (Robert Carlberg) wrote in message news:<20020820165356...@mb-cd.aol.com>...

I MUST HEAR THIS!!

0

Zero the Hero

Aug 21, 2002, 2:24:49 PM8/21/02
wrong...@ekilat.com (Cabeza Borradora) wrote in message news:<4ip5mu83jfvj5rvga...@4ax.com>...

> Blasquiz generally sang the bass parts. Check out for instance "Nono" from
> Attahk- that's mostly Blasquiz.

No way man, that's Vander too. KB might be doing some backups there,
along with SV and whoever else...

> Well I'd say get into some of the Japanese Zeuhl bands- Bondage Fruit, esp.
> the earlier albums, Koenjihyakkei, etc., etc.

I second this. That shit cooks.

0

Cabeza Borradora

Aug 21, 2002, 2:06:01 PM8/21/02
Dave Kerman come on down:

My apologies- I believe I have this mixed up with another 2001 show, and while
I may still have this one somewhere, my music database program has gone
corrupt and I can't figure out for the life of me how to find anything
anymore. (There's Murphy's Law for you, eh?)

And BTW, that was not to denigrate Present's performance at all, which I'm
certain was great; I just wish I could have the opportunity to hear them
sometime!

Steve

Aug 21, 2002, 4:38:14 PM8/21/02
I like C. Vander's voice alot , especially on the live versions of Kohntarkhosz
from 1974, where he sounds like a kicked puppy.

Steve

www.waysidemusic.com
www.cuneiformrecords.com
[remove .nos.pam to reply]

Eudaemoniac

Aug 21, 2002, 4:52:53 PM8/21/02
>I like C. Vander's voice alot , especially on the live versions of
>Kohntarkhosz
>from 1974, where he sounds like a kicked puppy.

Kick a lot of puppies do you, Steve? *8~)..

Cabeza Borradora

Aug 21, 2002, 7:26:32 PM8/21/02
Zero the Hero come on down:

>wrong...@ekilat.com (Cabeza Borradora) wrote in message news:<4ip5mu83jfvj5rvga...@4ax.com>...
>> Blasquiz generally sang the bass parts. Check out for instance "Nono" from
>> Attahk- that's mostly Blasquiz.
>
>No way man, that's Vander too. KB might be doing some backups there,
>along with SV and whoever else...

I don't know, I'd have to listen to it again, but at least during the '78
Reims concert it's Klaus all the way.

--
"Flames are discouraged, except for those which quote famous (or
not-so- famous) Stooge lines. For example, it would be acceptable to

J. Mcglinchey

Aug 21, 2002, 8:10:02 PM8/21/02
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Cabeza Borradora wrote:

> Blasquiz generally sang the bass parts. Check out for instance "Nono" from
> Attahk- that's mostly Blasquiz.

I think it's almost all Vander. Blasquiz does sing lead in a very brief
part in the middle of the song, right before the goofy keyboard solo; the
transition is curiously abrupt and Blasquiz' lead is pretty brief.

> the earlier albums, Koenjihyakkei, etc., etc. Stella Vander's album, IIRC,
> predates her Magma involvement and has nothing whatsoever to do with that
> sound; I am unequipped to discuss its merits otherwise.

Actually, I think Stella's album was made in the early 90s--true though in
that it has little if anything to do with the 'Zeuhl' sound. Fine
album, nonetheless, very mellow...

Joe M.

googlesux

Aug 21, 2002, 11:14:35 PM8/21/02
kerma...@yahoo.com (Dave Kerman) wrote in message news:<20515bc5.0208...@posting.google.com>...

> Sorry, Uncle Jed, but you got me wrong. I was referring to the Marillion
> fans who were disappointed that Magama, not Mariliion, are to be the
> headline act at the next NEARfest, many of whom went so far as to say that
> Magma don't "deserve" that spot on the bill. Heck, I've been known to
> put chocolate syrup on swordfish in restaurants, so I'm not at all so
> closed-minded as some on this NG assume. And I agree with your point: I
> like Magma, but then again I like the Carpenters too, so I assume some
> people out there must like both Magma AND Marillion.

Thanks for the clarification Dave. I didn't know about the
Marillion/Magma divide at NEARfest. But is Marillion playing at
NEARfest? If so I didn't know that. As much as I love Marillion, I'd
have to vote for Magma to headline over them, because even though I
always defend Marillion as being very much prog, Magma is much more
prog, much more experimental.

Jed

googlesux

Aug 21, 2002, 11:16:30 PM8/21/02
Noah Samuel Lesgold <nles...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote in message news:<3aznvj7...@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu>...

> FWIW, I like Magma and Marillion, and a good chunk of my friends feel
> likewise. Neil Young is fine when he keeps his mouth shut.

??? If Neil should keep his mouth shut, then so should Bob Dylan! That
I do not understand.

Jed

Jeremy Weissenburger

Aug 21, 2002, 11:41:23 PM8/21/02
On 8/21/02 11:14 PM, in article
589947d5.02082...@posting.google.com, "googlesux"
<jkl...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> kerma...@yahoo.com (Dave Kerman) wrote in message
>
>> Sorry, Uncle Jed, but you got me wrong. I was referring to the Marillion
>> fans who were disappointed that Magama, not Mariliion, are to be the
>> headline act at the next NEARfest, many of whom went so far as to say that
>> Magma don't "deserve" that spot on the bill. Heck, I've been known to
>> put chocolate syrup on swordfish in restaurants, so I'm not at all so
>> closed-minded as some on this NG assume. And I agree with your point: I
>> like Magma, but then again I like the Carpenters too, so I assume some
>> people out there must like both Magma AND Marillion.
>
> Thanks for the clarification Dave. I didn't know about the
> Marillion/Magma divide at NEARfest. But is Marillion playing at
> NEARfest? If so I didn't know that.

As of yet, Marillion is not in NEARFest. What happened (as I understand it)
was that they teased about the 2003 headliner at this year's NEARfest by
saying the band's name started with "M-A-...", which made many people think
it was Marillion, until they were told otherwise.

--Jeremy

Alex Temple

Aug 22, 2002, 9:34:24 AM8/22/02
Steve wrote:

> I like C. Vander's voice alot , especially on the live versions of Kohntarkhosz
> from 1974, where he sounds like a kicked puppy.

Funny, that's usually how I describe David Thomas.

--
Alex Temple - NP: SyZyGys - Eyes on Green
fiber_optiq at yahoo dot com
"This Temple raving of the week is brought to you by Wayside,
proudly bringing you wierd avant shit since 1981" -Pr33t

Zero the Hero

Aug 22, 2002, 12:17:54 PM8/22/02
wrong...@ekilat.com (Cabeza Borradora) wrote in message news:<rb88musgu5lb1a10b...@4ax.com>...

> I don't know, I'd have to listen to it again, but at least during the '78
> Reims concert it's Klaus all the way.

Ah, of course it would be. Vander didn't do much singing live; he was
too busy beating the living shit out of his drums. Yeah, KB did a
helluva job with those parts live.

Earlier I said that on the *albums* CV did most of the lead singing,
especially from '73 on. I'm pretty sure I'm right.

0

Eudaemoniac

Aug 22, 2002, 1:59:17 PM8/22/02
>always defend Marillion as being very much prog,

Not anymore they're not, and it appears they've forsaken all their early
material.

marinecreature

Aug 26, 2002, 12:38:07 PM8/26/02
Jeremy Weissenburger <jweisse...@comcast.net> wrote in message I have tried to explain Magma to others, and they look at me in disbelief.
And I'm not even a big Magma fan.
--Jeremy

I just had to write a reveiw of that new double compilation album
('Spiritual', about to be released on Snapper Records (Ozrics' label
in UK)). Took me three days.

More Magma stories please...

Paul

Aug 27, 2002, 6:40:57 PM8/27/02

Rob played it *much* more openly than that. When I saw him earlier in
the weekend, he said he was announcing the headliner. He said that he
expected half the crowd to hate the choice. He also said to a friend
nearby, "You like that weird shit. You won't like it."

I heard a few other people buzzing about which neo-prog band he'd
gotten. Marillion & Fish were both possibilities. Just before the
announcement, he was *intentionally* playing Misplaced Childhood.

I was reasonably convinced that it would have been Fish, or he'd have
been playing Brave. Then he started the "M-A..."

Rob is *not* above such practical jokes... :)

Paul