what do the proggers hate...

G. Paquet

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

I'm very allergic of some kind of music or artist..

first : dance music and all boumboum sound with no soul, no words, and no
brain work... and no ears muscles...

I hate the traditional radio for the same raison and the eternal repetition
of same unsensibles and simple sample songs...

I'm tired to listen Celine Dion, Backs street boys, Shania twain and all
these commercial and indigest product. The worst are Yani, Andrea Bocelli,
and all the old Ktell artist...
viva my hifi system and independant listening choice...

Bye
--
Gaetan Paquet
ga...@globetrotter.qc.ca

Ken Taylor

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

G. Paquet wrote in message
<01bcfad3$fb29df00$9aa0...@gapa.globetrotter.qc.ca>...

>I'm very allergic of some kind of music or artist..

I saw a cartoon once with the caption _Charlie Parker in Hell_ The picture
was of the Devil relaxing to a New Age record, smirking while a crazed CP
climbed the walls inside the listening booth. Substitute any progger for
Parker ;-)

Ken
http://www.users.bigpond.com/ZINGARI
Not just the best collection of ELP midis on the Net!

Alan J. Mallery

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

Ken Taylor (ZIN...@bigpond.com) wrote:
: G. Paquet wrote in message

: <01bcfad3$fb29df00$9aa0...@gapa.globetrotter.qc.ca>...
: >I'm very allergic of some kind of music or artist..

: I saw a cartoon once with the caption _Charlie Parker in Hell_ The picture
: was of the Devil relaxing to a New Age record, smirking while a crazed CP
: climbed the walls inside the listening booth. Substitute any progger for
: Parker ;-)

I remember that one! It was a 'Far Side' from a few years back.

Alan

Alan Mallery/aka: ajma...@ouray.cudenver.edu\aka2: mal...@ix.netcom.com

d...@b4u.di

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

Race music.

DanTheMan

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

Democrats and Republicans.
(Well, "hate" is a pretty strong word.)

Dan
Libertarian

Progbear

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

Hatred

MIKE

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock
"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel
Garcia Marquez
"I just think it would be a much better world if the scientists could keep
their slide-rules in their pants!" --Scott Thompson

N.P.:"The Stomachache"- I l B e r l i o n e

Steven Sullivan

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

Dave Lynch (tw...@thepoint.net) wrote:
: On 27 Nov 1997 01:38:43 GMT, "G. Paquet"
: <CodeA...@globetrotter.qc.ca> wrote:

: >I'm very allergic of some kind of music or artist..

: What do _I_ hate?

: Meat Loaf. Communism. Humans. Quebec. Vomit. Fundamentalists.
: Mindless conformity. Hypocrisy.

How do you feel about mindful conformity?

Forrest Fang

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

sull...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Steven Sullivan) wrote:

What about mindless nonconformity?...;)

Forrest

Forrest Fang

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

Bradley Evans

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

In article <34acb897...@news.zippo.com>, tw...@thepoint.net (Dave Lynch) writes:
|> On 27 Nov 1997 01:38:43 GMT, "G. Paquet"
|> <CodeA...@globetrotter.qc.ca> wrote:
|>
|> >I'm very allergic of some kind of music or artist..
|>
|> What do _I_ hate?
|>
|> Meat Loaf. Communism. Humans. Quebec. Vomit. Fundamentalists.

^^^^^^^^^
The singer or the lunch meat?

|> Mindless conformity. Hypocrisy.

Replace "Quebec" with "Quebec separatists", take out humans and
add labour unions (mindless conformity crossed with elitism and
an occasional touch of violence). Otherwise, a fine list.

-Brad

Paul Flackett

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

In article <01bcfad3$fb29df00$9aa0...@gapa.globetrotter.qc.ca>, "G.
Paquet" <CodeA...@globetrotter.qc.ca> writes

>I'm very allergic of some kind of music or artist..
>
>first : dance music and all boumboum sound with no soul, no words, and no
>brain work... and no ears muscles...
>
>I hate the traditional radio for the same raison and the eternal repetition
>of same unsensibles and simple sample songs...

Anything with the words 'baby' (or even worse 'vavy'!) or 'rock and
roll' in them. And those modern 'soul' records where they make the words
go up and down several times thinking it might make a crap song sound
better. Come to think of it - most things with vocals:-)

--
Paul Flackett

Jed Levin

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

When a non-reggae band suddenly breaks into a reggae beat.

Thomas Arena

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

Being a Republican, I take 1/2 offense to that. As a progger who happens to
be a conservative
Republican, I hate when liberals refer to themselves as "Progressives". I
think it gives prog a bad name. By the way, I don't hate Libertarians or
Democrats, I just don't agree with them too much.

Rcarlberg

Nov 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/29/97

Dave Lynch replied:

>> ^^^^^^^^^
>>The singer or the lunch meat?
>

>The singer.

Isn't Meat Loaf really Chris Farley in real life?

Dgasque

Nov 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/29/97

_Jock Jams_

=dgasque=

Roger Espel Llima

Nov 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/29/97

In article <347f4994...@news.webspan.net>,

Jed Levin <J...@webspan.net> wrote:

>When a non-reggae band suddenly breaks into a reggae beat.

Yeah.. YUCK! Wouldn't the Ozric Tentacles be so much better if they
cut all these pseudo-reggae bits.

--
Roger Espel Llima
es...@llaic.univ-bpclermont.fr, es...@unix.bigots.org

tr...@fred.com

Nov 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/29/97
to Dgasque

Dgasque wrote:

> _Jock Jams_
>
> =dgasque=
>

>The new Klingons........and terrible spin-offs

Jed Levin

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

On 29 Nov 1997 03:58:32 -0600, es...@solar.sky.net (Roger Espel Llima)
wrote:

>In article <347f4994...@news.webspan.net>,
>Jed Levin <J...@webspan.net> wrote:
>>
>>When a non-reggae band suddenly breaks into a reggae beat.
>
>Yeah.. YUCK! Wouldn't the Ozric Tentacles be so much better if they
>cut all these pseudo-reggae bits.

Yes! That's a perfect example. Hawkwind does it too, on their recent
"Love in Space" live CD (thought in general it's a very good alum).

I've come to really detest Reggae in the past few years. It used to
be fun to hear a reggae song every now and then, and I used to have a
few albums, but now it turns my stomach. Every song sounds about the
same, and a lot of it is way overproduced which doesn't help.

Anyone else hate reggae? :-)

Jed

Dgasque

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

In article <65op08$6...@slinky.sky.net>, es...@solar.sky.net (Roger Espel Llima)
writes:

>In article <347f4994...@news.webspan.net>,
Jed Levin <J...@webspan.net>
>wrote:
>
>When a non-reggae band suddenly breaks into a reggae beat.

Yeah..
>YUCK! Wouldn't the Ozric Tentacles be so much better if they
cut all these
>pseudo-reggae bits.

Actually, those bits are called "dub."

=dgasque=

Roger Espel Llima

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

In article <19971130192...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

Dgasque <dga...@aol.com> wrote:
>In article <65op08$6...@slinky.sky.net>, es...@solar.sky.net (Roger Espel Llima)
>writes:
>>YUCK! Wouldn't the Ozric Tentacles be so much better if they
>>cut all these pseudo-reggae bits.
>
>Actually, those bits are called "dub."

They are? I thought "dub" was something like, say, Nicky Skopelitis's
_Extasis_, which has nothing to do in style, as far as I can tell, with
the Ozrics. But I could be mistaken...

Paul Flackett

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

In article <65op08$6...@slinky.sky.net>, Roger Espel Llima
<es...@solar.sky.net> writes

>In article <347f4994...@news.webspan.net>,
>Jed Levin <J...@webspan.net> wrote:
>>
>>When a non-reggae band suddenly breaks into a reggae beat.
>
>Yeah.. YUCK! Wouldn't the Ozric Tentacles be so much better if they

>cut all these pseudo-reggae bits.

No.

Maybe they should axe the bubbling synths and the spacey guitar, get a
castrated vocalist and cover Yes songs. On the other hand maybe they
should just carry on doing what they do, reggae, dub and all.

--
Paul Flackett

Steven Sullivan

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

StoOdin101 (stood...@aol.com) wrote:
: I hate:

: Almost all pop songs. I have a special hatred for the one with the lyric "You
: doan haf to be a STAH babee to be in mah SHO."
: Also the one where the tuneless
: singer simpers "SURRRRRINdah and DANSE thuh NITE awAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIY." Both of
: these are on the horrible soundtrack tape at work, and both of them actually
: inspire real physical nausea and disgust.

: Tangerine Dream. They were so great in the beginning, but they sold their
: souls, not for rocknroll, but for Muzak money.

: Action movies disguised as SF films.

: Happy Family. Sounds like music for an action movie disguised as an SF film.
: You know, the kind with some real mean robot that cant be stopped until the
: last reel, when the nearly naked babe stops it.

: Bands that have long since lost their creativity but insist on pressing on,
: undead remnants from another century, blithely singing their roundabouts and
: karn evil 9s as if anyone even cares any more. They should take the advice of
: the Henry Cow collective: "We will not reproduce our past to earn our pension".
: And they stuck to it, too!

But, if concerts I've attended in the past few years are any indication,
there's still a significant number of people who *do* care about those
roundabouts and karn evil 9s. Go figure.

Dgasque

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

In article <65sg0l$7...@slinky.sky.net>, es...@solar.sky.net (Roger Espel Llima)
writes:

>They are? I thought "dub" was something like, say, Nicky

>Skopelitis's
_Extasis_, which has nothing to do in style, as far as I can
>tell, with
the Ozrics. But I could be mistaken...

Geeze- I know i'm gonna get in trouble with this explaination, but "dub"
centers on a slow, repetitive bass/drum line (usually 60-70 bpm), lots of
effects (especially echo), and little to nil in the vocals department. I'm
sure that there are many different "types" of dub too. Anybody else can feel
free to chip in...

=dgasque=

The Lighthouse Keeper

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Thomas Arena (YYZM...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:
: Being a Republican, I take 1/2 offense to that. As a progger who happens to

Hey, if it weren't for Democrats and Republicans, my chief source of endless
amusement wouldn't be there. Yes, it's amusing to watch these knuckleheads
disagree and argue about ideological concepts they themselves won't even stand
tough for. When it comes down to the serious vote and the money is there to
buy them off, they all walk the same walk: Corrupticrats & Corruptlicans

| Peter | ...and though the past has its share of injustice |
| pt...@netcom.com | kind was the spirit in many a way |
| Expose'Newsletter | but its protectors and friends have been sleeping |
| | now it's a monster and will not obey. |
| Visit the Expose' Web Page at: |
| http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1831/expo-nl.html |

The Lighthouse Keeper

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Roger Espel Llima (es...@solar.sky.net) wrote:
: In article <347f4994...@news.webspan.net>,

: Jed Levin <J...@webspan.net> wrote:
: >
: >When a non-reggae band suddenly breaks into a reggae beat.

: Yeah.. YUCK! Wouldn't the Ozric Tentacles be so much better if they
: cut all these pseudo-reggae bits.

I dunno, Maybe Genesis would be better if they gave reggae a try...
In a pub in Malahide, Ireland I once heard a reggae band do a cover
of Watcher of the Skies. It was pretty amusing, but at least they put
theit hearts into it (more than can be said for "The Old Medley" on
_The Longs_)

Ashley Collins

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Jed Levin wrote in message <3481932e...@news.webspan.net>...

>On 29 Nov 1997 03:58:32 -0600, es...@solar.sky.net (Roger Espel Llima)
>wrote:
>
>>In article <347f4994...@news.webspan.net>,
>>Jed Levin <J...@webspan.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>When a non-reggae band suddenly breaks into a reggae beat.
>>
>>Yeah.. YUCK! Wouldn't the Ozric Tentacles be so much better if they
>>cut all these pseudo-reggae bits.
>
>Yes! That's a perfect example. Hawkwind does it too, on their recent
>"Love in Space" live CD (thought in general it's a very good alum).
>
>I've come to really detest Reggae in the past few years. It used to
>be fun to hear a reggae song every now and then, and I used to have a
>few albums, but now it turns my stomach. Every song sounds about the
>same, and a lot of it is way overproduced which doesn't help.
>
>Anyone else hate reggae? :-)
>
>Jed

If you can find it, you should check out "Mango Woman" by Ween (b-side of
some single, I think). It's reggae, they're not, and it's hilarious!

--
Ashley Collins
Fras...@msn.com

Jeremy S.

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Rhythm guitarists that can't even sing, and just sit there playing chords.

And disco.

--Jeremy

bul...@acadiacom.net

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 16:26:53 GMT, j...@webspan.net (Jed Levin) wrote:

>I've come to really detest Reggae in the past few years. It used to
>be fun to hear a reggae song every now and then, and I used to have a
>few albums, but now it turns my stomach. Every song sounds about the
>same, and a lot of it is way overproduced which doesn't help.
>
>Anyone else hate reggae? :-)

I don't dislike reggae, but I really don't care for it when white
people from England or Southern California do reggae, or rather, try
to do reggae in a pathetic white person sort of way.

The other thing that gets on my nerves these days is teenage bogus ska
bands that all sound like Madness and/or early English Beat. Good
God, children, that's what *I* was listening to when I was your age...

R. Nicholas Miller

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97
to Dgasque

> Geeze- I know i'm gonna get in trouble with this explaination, but
> "dub"
> centers on a slow, repetitive bass/drum line (usually 60-70 bpm), lots
> of
> effects (especially echo), and little to nil in the vocals
> department. I'm
> sure that there are many different "types" of dub too. Anybody else
> can feel
> free to chip in...
>
> =dgasque=

Ohh...I get it, like an Atari!

Wait... why the hell would you want to listen to that?!

Mentally Yours,

V I S I G O T H
R. Nicholas Miller
visi...@netzone.com

R. Nicholas Miller

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

> Anyone else hate reggae? :-)

Can't stand it! And I really despise the Ska (punk/regree/big band)
crap that's trendy now. I refer to it as either "circus music" or "speed
polka". Grotesque!

Mentally Yours,

V I S I G O T H
R. Nicholas Miller
visi...@netzone.com

P.S. My #1 hate: All the "non-conformists" who conform to each other!

Linda Dachtyl

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Madonna, Michael Jackson, "new" country music, REM, 80's "heavy metal"
corporate rock hair bands, MTV, just about ANY mainstream music from the
80's....

Linda

M.A. ARINO CLARKE

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

If I'm to be considered as a progger...
well, I hate Oasis, most of house-techno, people that
are terribly worried to be fans of something just to
keep the appearance (aka "posers",heavy metal and punk
posers are specially sad), Mtv, Marilyn Manson, all
those people who say pretending they know : "Yes? for
god's sake , Oasis are better" , all sorts of wankers
that tell me to cut my hair, all sorts of wankers that
try to demonstrate me that they are more cool because
they drink more... and generally I hate Leeds climate.
And the decorations of most pubs in Leeds. Well,
basically I hate most of the human race and most of the
things that come out of human hands. A race with lots
of vulgarity and bad taste...

Ųyvind Gjermshus

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Linda Dachtyl <lind...@earthlink.net> writes:

hey hey hey hold your horses girl :-)
REM is almost the only rock band I find worth listening to outside of prog.

--
Øyvind

Steven Sullivan

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Ųyvind Gjermshus (oyv...@cryogen.com) wrote:
: Linda Dachtyl <lind...@earthlink.net> writes:

Why?

Progbear

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

R. Nicholas Miller wrote:

>> Anyone else hate reggae? :-)
>
>Can't stand it!

Hey, would everyone stop picking on poor old reggae music? I actually
enjoy it when well done. (Admittedly, that's not often.)
The only type of music I *really* cannot tolerate is country & western.
Seems like a competition on who can achieve the most nasal, off-key voice.
Offhand, I can only think of two country singers (Patsy Cline and Marty
Robbins) who do not cause nausea, and they're both dead.

MIKE

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock
"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel
Garcia Marquez
"I just think it would be a much better world if the scientists could keep
their slide-rules in their pants!" --Scott Thompson

N.P.:nothing

Beeble

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

I hate those people who are STILL whining and moaning and cowering in
the corners of their homes fearing the imminent destruction of all life
on Earth due to global warming, even after we just had below freezing
temperatures in early November in, of all places, North fucking Carolina!

synthuser

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Thanks, now I know where the center of the universe is...
--
Great wide stretches of canvas
Signed by a godless name

Ejtrecoast

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

>> Anyone else hate reggae? :-)
>
>Can't stand it! And I really despise the Ska (punk/regree/big band)
>crap that's trendy now. I refer to it as either "circus music" or "speed
>polka". Grotesque!

I've never cared for reggae that much but it has it's moments. Same with ska,
just can't listen to it all the time or it becomes extremely BORING.

Eric

Ejtrecoast

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

>Madonna, Michael Jackson, "new" country music, REM, 80's "heavy metal"
>corporate rock hair bands, MTV, just about ANY mainstream music from the
>80's....

Except for REM, I think you've about summed up mine. How about any song from
"Top Gun" or "Footloose?" Or music videos that show scenes from the movie it
appeared in. What an original concept!

Eric

Ųyvind Gjermshus

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

sull...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Steven Sullivan) writes:

> Ųyvind Gjermshus (oyv...@cryogen.com) wrote:

> : hey hey hey hold your horses girl :-)
> : REM is almost the only rock band I find worth listening to outside of prog.

> Why?

Because they have great melodies that never get boring. Like a lot of
prog you can not listen to it one time and say that it is crap. You
have to listen to it a few times to really get into it. Of course if a
person has only heard "Monster", I agree that one can say that REM is
a crappy band. But their other records are great. That is of course my
opinion.

--
Ųyvind

tr...@fred.com

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

bul...@acadiacom.net wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 16:26:53 GMT, j...@webspan.net (Jed Levin) wrote:
>
> >I've come to really detest Reggae in the past few years. It used to
> >be fun to hear a reggae song every now and then, and I used to have a
> >few albums, but now it turns my stomach. Every song sounds about the
> >same, and a lot of it is way overproduced which doesn't help.
> >
> >Anyone else hate reggae? :-)
> >
> I don't dislike reggae, but I really don't care for it when white
> people from England or Southern California do reggae, or rather, try
> to do reggae in a pathetic white person sort of way.
>
> The other thing that gets on my nerves these days is teenage bogus ska
> bands that all sound like Madness and/or early English Beat. Good
> God, children, that's what *I* was listening to when I was your age...

sorry, but could you explain this "pathetic white person sort of way"
business? I realize that out of all the genres these days, reggae
would'nt be top on the list for whites to try but, as far as being
pathetic, hmmm........I can't think of any type of music whites have'nt
been able to master or could'nt. And that goes for all races. As reggae
goes, I can't think of any people that do it well except for native
jamaicans, everyone who fakes the jamaican accent ends up sounding
silly. You see, when you say, "pathetic white", "pathetic black"
"pathetic latin", or "pathetic asian", it may ruffle some tale feathers
out there.

Dgasque

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In article <19971202235...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, prog...@aol.com
(Progbear) writes:

> Hey, would everyone stop picking on poor old reggae music? I
>actually
enjoy it when well done. (Admittedly, that's not often.)
The
>only type of music I *really* cannot tolerate is country & western.
Seems
>like a competition on who can achieve the most nasal, off-key voice.
Offhand,
>I can only think of two country singers (Patsy Cline and Marty
Robbins) who
>do not cause nausea, and they're both dead.

I was listening to reggae back in the mid-70's, when it was still a pretty
"rough-edged" music and relatively hard to find in the States, except for such
superstars as Marley/Wailers, Tosh, Third World, etc. Those early recordings
by The Melodians, The Abyssinians, The Revelations, etc. to me, are as
important to the musical world as the Motown/Philly sound of the 60's. Not
prog, but influential nonetheless. The Melodian's rendition of "Rivers of
Babylon" still sends a chill down my spine.

Country was ruined, IMO by commercialism, probably more than any other genre of
music . Progbear brings up two great singers in Robbins and Cline (how about
Jim Reeves?)- but there were a slew of Country artists in the 60's (and into
the 50's) that I remember listening to in the wee hours of the night on WSB-
Atlanta (when I wasn't listening to classical on WWL- New Orleans or the "X"
stations out of Mexico.) I dunno, I guess it made me appreciate a wider range
of music than many people can tolerate.

playing: Groove Collective- We the People

=dgasque=

Mick Patterson

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

Closed minds and people who want to run everyone
else's lives.
---Mick...
My opinions do not reflect those of anyone else... yet.

jed_...@instinet.com

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

In article <3483a6e0...@news.acadiacom.net>,
bul...@acadiacom.net wrote:

> >Anyone else hate reggae? :-)
> >
> I don't dislike reggae, but I really don't care for it when white
> people from England or Southern California do reggae, or rather, try
> to do reggae in a pathetic white person sort of way.

Yeah! That's one of the reasons I could never like The Police and Sting
solo. It always seemed to me that Sting was singing with a faked Jamaican
accent, and it really turned me off. Always DETESTED UB40 as well! God,
what were they thinking?

> The other thing that gets on my nerves these days is teenage bogus ska
> bands that all sound like Madness and/or early English Beat. Good
> God, children, that's what *I* was listening to when I was your age...

Yeah I heard one of those bands a while ago, and it got me thinking that
I always expect some new pop band that appeals to the weasers of today to
be real harcore, aggressive sounding, then I hear it and find out it's
more wimpy than a lot of the crap we used to listen to, exactly like the
example above.

Jed

jed_...@instinet.com

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

In article <Vv397CAT...@rainow.demon.co.uk>,
Paul Flackett <pa...@rainow.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >Yeah.. YUCK! Wouldn't the Ozric Tentacles be so much better if they
> >cut all these pseudo-reggae bits.
> >

> No.
>
> Maybe they should axe the bubbling synths and the spacey guitar, get a
> castrated vocalist and cover Yes songs. On the other hand maybe they
> should just carry on doing what they do, reggae, dub and all.

So, you're saying you like the reggae parts of Ozric Tentacles' music?
God, I can't stand them, but if you like the reggae so much, more power
to you..

Ghost

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

>> >Anyone else hate reggae? :-)
>> >
>> I don't dislike reggae, but I really don't care for it when white
>> people from England or Southern California do reggae, or rather, try
>> to do reggae in a pathetic white person sort of way.
>
>Yeah! That's one of the reasons I could never like The Police and Sting
>solo. It always seemed to me that Sting was singing with a faked Jamaican
>accent, and it really turned me off. Always DETESTED UB40 as well! God,
>what were they thinking?

The Police were a great band, though I understand your reason for not
liking them. But I agree with you on UB40. Yeesh.

>> The other thing that gets on my nerves these days is teenage bogus ska
>> bands that all sound like Madness and/or early English Beat. Good
>> God, children, that's what *I* was listening to when I was your age...

Madness had two great songs that I remember: "One Step Beyond" and "Our
House." They never go really big in the States, but I believe they were
quite popular in England.

ethan taylor sellers

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

In article <669pn4$fl3$1...@news3.ptd.net>, Ghost <qgh...@ptd.net> wrote:

>>Yeah! That's one of the reasons I could never like The Police and Sting
>>solo. It always seemed to me that Sting was singing with a faked Jamaican
>>accent, and it really turned me off. Always DETESTED UB40 as well! God,
>>what were they thinking?
>
>The Police were a great band, though I understand your reason for not
>liking them. But I agree with you on UB40. Yeesh.

There's a world of difference between the Police and UB40, which I'm sure
goes without saying. For one thing, UB40 must have some of the most
anemic singing I've ever heard on music in and Afro-Carribean idiom.

I mean, why cover "Can't Help Falling In Love" or whatever it's called
with such limp singing? It's not just that it's lilywhite, but it was
quite wussified in comparison with Elvis's version.

So who's the Elvis of prog, anyway? To make it easier, we could split it
up into virile Elvis and drugged-up fat Elvis, and award each title
separately.

Ethan
Ethan Taylor Sellers
etse...@midway.uchicago.edu - http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/etseller

Paul Flackett

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <881353...@dejanews.com>, jed_...@instinet.com writes

>So, you're saying you like the reggae parts of Ozric Tentacles' music?
>God, I can't stand them, but if you like the reggae so much, more power
>to you..

I like the constant variety in their music and nothing in particular
turns me off, apart from the silly noises now and again. I do get
frustrated sometimes tho'. Take their latest CD 'Curious Corn'. That
first track sounds like it's really building up to something and the
drums are going to crash in any minute and it's going to turn out a real
rocker. But it doesn't. It's quite good as it is but they could have
done so much more with it. They give me some really good ideas; only
trouble is, I can't play a damn note!

--
Paul Flackett

Matt Krohn

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

I find that proggers hate basically everything, except of course what
they like. That's about the same as everybody else except proggers like
to tell everybody else that what they listen to sucks.

I like prog music too, yet I can understand why some people don't. I
don't listen to Billy Joel or the Carpenters, but hey, maybe some people
actually like that stuff.

As much as I love progressive music, I say that one man's prog is another
man's (or woman's) mindless drivel. I love the Strawbs, for example and
consider them progressive. Some people don't. Heck, I consider
early Humble Pie progressive. There wasn't anybody doing what they were
doing in 1968....

The bottom line is whether or not you like it. Proggers just like to feel
superior and can't except that fact.

tr...@fred.com

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

Dgasque

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

In article <MPG.ef602cdf...@NNTP.DTI.NET>, ma...@softport.nyc.ny.us
(Matt Krohn) writes:

>I find that proggers hate basically everything, except of course what they
>like. That's about the same as everybody else except proggers like to tell
>everybody else that what they listen to sucks.

>The bottom line is whether or not you like it. Proggers just like to feel

>superior and can't except that fact.

I don't see that here any more than other Usenet boards. I think there a quite
a few posters here with wide interests in music.

=dgasque=

dn...@webtv.net

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97

johnmellencampbrucespringsteentompettyaerosmithfleetwoodmacpearljamnirvanastonetemplepilotsbluestravellercollectivesoulsevenmarythreematchbox20jewelsarahmclaclantonicbushoasisblursublimeevercleartoadthewetsprocketconcreteblondeR!E!M!

It's not personal hate toward the artists. I just don't care for the
music.

"When we all realize, that there are no differences; There's no way we
can lose!"

YES, 1997