How would you describe....

The Bi Polar Bear

Mar 19, 2004, 1:11:36 PM3/19/04
How would you describe your local culture....meaning the town that you are
currently living in.

We all come from different backgrounds....which is what makes this community so
special at times. Some of us are close to where we grew up (myself included)
while other people have ventured out away from their roots.

So where do you live?
What is your persepctive of your surroundings?
What makes it special?
What would you like to change?
What is keeping you there?
What is pulling you away?

I have lived in several places but have always come back to the Chicagoland
area for one reason or another. I would probably have to credit this to the
fact that I simply do not want to live that far away from my family at the
current moment. I cherish evry moment that I am able to spend with them and
the thought of living even an hour away is something that doesn't sit well with
me at the moment. I know that a lot of people can't stand their family and
this is a huge factor in their decision to move...jobs also come into play.

I just love Chicago and the area that surrounds it. I am a four hour drive
away from the summer home.....I can see any number of bands throughout the year
with little effort. I am two hours away from the creek and Alpine...It is a win
win situation in my mind.

I could go on and on....But I want to know what you think about your current
environment.
Phish...They'll scare the stuff back into you.

Jason Medeiros

Mar 19, 2004, 1:17:04 PM3/19/04
Salt Lake City, UT
mormons, vegans and associated counterculture mountain freaks, mountains and
desert.

in a nutshell.

--
jmed
~~~<pineapple>~~~

Brian J Berkowitz

Mar 19, 2004, 1:16:08 PM3/19/04
i live in the nj suburbs...it is beond description...not really im just
lazy...but i like it

cheers

"The Bi Polar Bear" <captnper...@aol.com> wrote in message

mount2073

Mar 19, 2004, 1:30:52 PM3/19/04
I would have to agree with you on the whole "Chicago" thing. I hail from
northwest Indiana, where my parents, grandparents and countless aunts,
uncles, and cousins reside. So, I'm never more than an hour drive from my
family; I'm 2 hour drive from any friends I still have hanging around my
old college (Purdue) and a 3 hour drive from my brother in Indy. I have
managed to make many good friends here. Even though a lot of them revolve
around my college friends. Which sometimes makes me feel like I need to cut
off all of them, and move to where I know nobody. I sometimes feel that I
need to go out and meet a whole new clan of people, instead of having the
same conversations, about the same topics, as I have been for years. Now,
I'm not saying I don't go out and meet people, but when you live with 2 of
your college friends, it all comes back to the same things. Either way, my
job keeps me busy, even though sometimes too busy, and there are a lot of
opportunities for growth. So, I guess it boils down to this, I love where
I'm at now, but won't turn down the opportunity for change.

--
mount2073
Tennesseein' Is Tennebelievin'

brianpoteat

Mar 19, 2004, 1:33:11 PM3/19/04
> So where do you live?
Columbia, SC

> What is your persepctive of your surroundings?

Meh. We have an OK social scene, mainly from the University of South
Carolina. 5 points is the bar, restraunt, specialty shopping are that is
really different than anywhere else I've ever been. I'm actually trying to
move closer to there now, but home prices our twice what they are in the
burbs where I live now and you get less of a house.

> What makes it special?
Not much. Short drive to mountains and even shorter to the beach. Being in
a university town is always great. It's a pretty laid back atmosphere but
not quite as much as the Charleston folk. I like the casualness and the
beautiful weather of living in the South but without as much of the redneck
fringe you find in the more rural places in SC (and I've lived there too so
I'm not generalizing, it's a direct observation.)

> What would you like to change?

The political atmosphere. it's very ignorant republican. and i'm not
saying that all republicans are ignorant...just the ones who force-feed
morality by law.

> What is keeping you there?

family. couldn't do without them.

> What is pulling you away?

the beach life.

For most people being near family makes a huge difference. And when you
have kids it's even bigger. I want my daughter to know and love her
grandparents on both sides and there is just no way for that to happen if
you live more than a couple of hours.

Matt

Mar 19, 2004, 1:48:18 PM3/19/04
i live in a van, down by the river.

dig under rocks

Mar 19, 2004, 1:49:45 PM3/19/04
| So where do you live?

Madison, WI, USA

| What is your persepctive of your surroundings?

I love them. Clean, friendly, fun.

| What makes it special?

College students, trees, lakes, trails, bars.

| What would you like to change?

A fancy strip joint, more live music venues, less-expensive homes.....

| What is keeping you there?

Family, friends, school, werk, the surroundings.

| What is pulling you away?

The mountains.....

Ice Cream Man

Mar 19, 2004, 2:36:37 PM3/19/04
los angeles.

roots.
born here, family's here
weather/climate.
close to ocean, mountains, desert. we have 2 seasons. shorts weather and
not shorts weather.
diversity.
this is a sprawling, multiracial city that yields rewards to those who
embrace it.
mexican food.
you might have it where you live, but c'mon. i would miss this the most.
company town.
though i'm not involved in "the industry" it's kinda cool to know people
involved in tv & film
being a local.
in a town that often seems to be overrun by fools from the rest of the
country who come here to be a star, a star i tell you!
driving around blasting "i love l.a."
a moment that for me is totally devoid of irony.
the lakers and dodgers.
doesn't matter how they do from year to year, i'll always bleed blue and
purple & gold
cheeseburgers.
seriously. though we didn't invent it i think we fucking own it. from
in-n-out and fatburger to the apple pan, tommy's, jay's burgers, the pie 'n'
burger. wayne, if you ever make it out here you'll have much to choose from.

wouldn't change a thing. traffic ain't as bad as you hear, and there's often
an alternate route for the educated driver. smog is *much* better than 10
years ago, and if you don't live too far east it's not really a factor.

what's pulling me away?
insane real estate prices and a wife who doesn't share my love of l.a.

--
John
______________________________

DBailey105

Mar 19, 2004, 2:42:24 PM3/19/04
Cleveland Ohio, not nearly as hilljack as some other parts of the state. We do
have the Rock Halll. Not a very good music scene here however. Weather sucks,
outdoor recreation sucks, I stay because of friends and family. Would like to
move for weather and scenery change. Dream places to live would be Asheville
NC or Moab UT, but that's not happening so maybe Florida where I could ride
Motorcycles year round.

MaggieMae229

Mar 19, 2004, 3:04:40 PM3/19/04
>So where do you live?

Buffalo/ Amherst, NY.

>What is your persepctive of your surroundings?

I really like Buffalo. Jon Stewart described is as an aging, decaying rust
belt city once. And I think that's true, in a few ways. But there is so much
good going on here, and people (most outsiders, and some who actually live
here) refuse to see it because they can't overlook the failures of the past.
Good food, good beer, good art, good music, great people!

>What makes it special?

The people. There is unity here the likes of which I have never witnessed
elsewhere.

>What would you like to change?

I wish that the job market would improve and that the abandoned buildings all
over would be put to good use.

>What is keeping you there?

Right now, only my lease which is up at the end of May.

>What is pulling you away?

Love. (but I think pulling might be the wrong word)

heart,
Maggie

"I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year's fashions."
--Lillian Hellman

Nate C.

Mar 19, 2004, 8:00:38 PM3/19/04

> So where do you live?

Minneapolis MN

> What is your persepctive of your surroundings?

It's a nice, clean, easy place to live, yet about 15-20 years behind the
coasts in many respects. Up north is a playground for anybody who likes the
outdoors.

> What makes it special?

Natural beauty, friendly people, climatic extremes.

> What would you like to change?

Urban sprawl, get more people that aren't white, get a decent music scene,
evacuate the neo-con suburbanites, pussy-assed drivers who can't make up
their mind, oh and urban sprawl.

> What is keeping you there?

School. The North country.

> What is pulling you away?

Family, the ocean, the buzz of a big city, forward thinking.

nigel--gift to all women

Mar 19, 2004, 8:39:45 PM3/19/04
>So where do you live?
northwest indiana in a city called hammond

>What is your persepctive of your surroundings?
its kind of dangerous where i live due to the conceal carry gun permit you can
get here,, you dont want to step too far out of line cause you might get shot..
im right between gary indiana, and chicago illinois and i live 4 houses from
I-80..
it isnt a suburb at all....
>What makes it special?
proximity to chicago, yet the countryside is readily available

>What would you like to change?
my mind

>What is keeping you there?
firstly, i have a 7 year old daughter who lives with her mom that i dont get to
spend enough time with already.also i have really cheap water bills due to lake
michigan being 2-3 miles away from me, also being able to go to the lake on
bicycle and ride pretty much to milwauke or to michigan without much
encumberance

>What is pulling you away?
the lure of the road-- i live but 4 houses away from one of the busiest
stretches of road in the united states, i know if i went one way id hit New
York and if i went the other, id end up in San Fransisco

--
"Some of us are Outlaws, and Some are Trespassers upon the very World"
-Pynchon

No no

Mar 20, 2004, 5:30:25 AM3/20/04

> So where do you live?

Santa Cruz, California

> What is your persepctive of your surroundings?

An insane little town that should only exist in my imagination.

> What makes it special?

There is no place else like it. They sell bumper stickers here that say
'Keep Santa Cruz weird'.

> What would you like to change?

Real estate prices. YIKES!

> What is keeping you there?

I want to live in one spot for awhile--to stay focused--there is no
where else I'd rather be for this venture.

> What is pulling you away?

I am a traveler--an explorer. It's hard to sit still.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 20, 2004, 6:26:17 PM3/20/04

"No no" <no_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > So where do you live?
>
> Santa Cruz, California
>
> > What is your persepctive of your surroundings?
>
> An insane little town that should only exist in my imagination.
>
> > What makes it special?
>
> There is no place else like it. They sell bumper stickers here that say
> 'Keep Santa Cruz weird'.

yeah..they have 'Keep Portland Weird' bumper stickers up this way..good
stuff

Mackie

Mar 21, 2004, 1:50:37 AM3/21/04
"Nigel Tufnel" <m_esqu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<tq47c.49582$1p.829159@attbi_s54>...

> "No no" <no_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > So where do you live?

las vegas for the last year. new york, atl and columbia, sc
previously.

> > > What is your persepctive of your surroundings?

sex, sex and more sex. lots of fake ppl and titties.

> > > What makes it special?

The night life, weather, more hot chicks than you can beleive, and
opportunity to make some phat cash.

> > > What would you like to change?

couple less days in the 100's. less fake ppl, less frontin'

> > > What is keeping you there?

my job.

> > > What is pulling you away?

nothing right now, but i'm sure my job will eventually move me.