TERRRRIFIC Guy!!@!!!

WWW.Handelmania.com

Aug 2, 2006, 6:29:21 PM8/2/06

Ortrud Jones

Aug 2, 2006, 10:28:18 PM8/2/06
That poor boy needs to grow a pair and let them drop...just say "NO"
to falsettists!

-Ortrud Jones

WWW.Handelmania.com wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKer7pcdPXc&search=David%20Daniels
.

The Handelmaniac

Aug 2, 2006, 11:48:12 PM8/2/06
Who was that (other) idiot who called these wonderful singers
"falsettists."?

Ah yes..Sarah Bryan Miller..a real bitch..

I guess all the conductors,audiences,colleagues,etc..are NUTS when they
appreciate these counter-tenors..they are NOT falsettists..ch

Ortrud Jones

Aug 3, 2006, 12:44:36 AM8/3/06
Wow. A 70 year old man calling a woman a "bitch". True gentleman,
Charlie. Marvelous upbringing you had, no doubt...

-Ortrud Jones

The Handelmaniac wrote:

> Ah yes..Sarah Bryan Miller..a real bitch..

.

ljo

Aug 3, 2006, 7:38:12 AM8/3/06

"The Handelmaniac" <Plac...@aol.com> wrote

> I guess all the conductors,audiences,colleagues,etc..are NUTS when they
> appreciate these counter-tenors..they are NOT falsettists..ch >

Out of curiosity, what are the differences in vocal production that
determine whether a singer is a falsettist or a countertenor? Or do you
believe, rather, that the distinction is physical rather than technical and,
if so, in what ways? I would appreciate a serious response.

The Handelmaniac

Aug 3, 2006, 1:32:35 PM8/3/06

When you decide to join the human race, I may decide to answer you..ch

Ken Meltzer

Aug 3, 2006, 2:11:12 PM8/3/06

Perhaps someone else would like to take a stab at this question, since
it seems a good and interesting one to me.
Best,
Ken

RbtHagen

Aug 3, 2006, 2:58:56 PM8/3/06

The Handelmaniac wrote:
> Ah yes..Sarah Bryan Miller..a real bitch..

No she's not, at least to normal people who aren't thieves selling
copyrighted material and performances that you stole.

alanwa...@aol.com

Aug 3, 2006, 3:27:54 PM8/3/06

I am not qualified to talk about vocal matters but I once heard, many
years ago, Alfred Deller field such a question, or something very
similar. He said he defined "falsettist" (a phrase he did not like,
preferring male alto from memory) as a counter-tenor head voice.

Asked how high they could go with that he said easily to a Soprano F
and "with luck a bit beyond that". Going the other way, a low B-flat
"with a bit of luck".

The need for falsettists or the head voice, he said, was defined by UK
church writing for male alto and for people taking over castrati parts.

This was a long time ago and people may well have offered better or
more scholarly explanations since. I believe Poulenc writes higher
than Soprano F but at the time Deller first came to public attention
the voice was pretty much in it's infancy in the matter of being
"resurrected" as it were.

Alfred Deller was a lovely guy and very great company with an
infectious sense of humour. He certainly helped lead the way in
re-establishing this range and at the time bringing into focus
composers that had been long out of public view or appreciation.

His album "O Ravishing Delight" is still a thrill to me.

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins

The Handelmaniac

Aug 3, 2006, 3:34:00 PM8/3/06

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.I am so upset.....Why are you
so jealous???Are you sicker than I thought/ You need
Heeeeeeeeeeellllllp. I suggest a long walk off a short
pier......(ggggg)

Bye Bye...Keep thinking you are straight..ch

Ken Meltzer

Aug 3, 2006, 3:35:28 PM8/3/06

alanwa...@aol.com wrote:

> Alfred Deller was a lovely guy and very great company with an
> infectious sense of humour. He certainly helped lead the way in
> re-establishing this range and at the time bringing into focus
> composers that had been long out of public view or appreciation.

Thanks for your reply, Alan. I was fortunate enough to see Alfred
Deller once in recital at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster,
PA. Our concert series that year also included David Munrow, who gave
a fabulous concert.
Not too bad for a small liberal arts school in Southeastern PA!
Best,
Ken

The Handelmaniac

Aug 3, 2006, 3:41:17 PM8/3/06

BY THE WAY, Miss idiot...do not fail to go to YOUTUBE and see all the
thousands of "stolen' videos that many many many people have put on
there......(well,we know you downloaded many...you creeeeeeeep) CH

wkas...@comcast.net

Aug 3, 2006, 3:49:14 PM8/3/06

Instead of responding multiple times to obvious trolls, why not answer
Ken's question? That would certainly be more enlightening for
everyone.

Bill

Ken Meltzer

Aug 3, 2006, 3:54:32 PM8/3/06

I'm going to take the liberty of rephrasing ljo's question, and I'm
hoping Charlie or someone else will help me with an answer:
Can you give an example of a singer of classical repertoire who could
reasonably be classified as a falsettist, and in what ways does his
vocal production differ from that of David Daniels?
Best,
Ken

alanwa...@aol.com

Aug 3, 2006, 4:06:26 PM8/3/06

It does not deal with Mr Daniels but this web site seems to have far
more knowledge than I do on the subject and there seem to be links
(which I have not explored):

http://www.radix.net/~dalila/singers/castrato-unnatural.html

alanwa...@aol.com

Aug 3, 2006, 4:10:51 PM8/3/06

The links from that page appear to work so that should be enough to
keep everyone going for a while.......

Ken Meltzer

Aug 3, 2006, 4:17:40 PM8/3/06

alanwa...@aol.com wrote:

> It does not deal with Mr Daniels but this web site seems to have far
> more knowledge than I do on the subject and there seem to be links
> (which I have not explored):
>
> http://www.radix.net/~dalila/singers/castrato-unnatural.html
>
> Kind regards,
> Alan M. Watkins

Thanks, Alan. There is some mention of Mr. Daniels in other links on
that site.
Thanks again.
Best,
Ken

ljo

Aug 3, 2006, 4:31:04 PM8/3/06

"The Handelmaniac" <Plac...@aol.com> wrote in message

Posting the odd clip on youtube is not the matter in question. Those posters
are not collecting money for purloined product. Do you get my drift?

ljo

The Handelmaniac

Aug 3, 2006, 5:18:51 PM8/3/06
> > BY THE WAY, Miss idiot...do not fail to go to YOUTUBE and see all the
> > thousands of "stolen' > >
>
> Posting the odd clip on youtube is not the matter in question. Those posters
> are not collecting money for purloined product. Do you get my drift?

Yes..you sure do drift.....I cannot replace Dan..but you LOVE to retain
your image as Numero uno creep..and in this group...it ios surely not
easy to tell...ch

> ljo

How come you bought all those "stolen' CD's of live perf. at
Tower/Amazon/Berkshire??? INSUFFERABLE HYPOCRITE CH

Ken Meltzer

Aug 3, 2006, 9:50:35 PM8/3/06

Ken Meltzer wrote:

> I'm going to take the liberty of rephrasing ljo's question, and I'm
> hoping Charlie or someone else will help me with an answer:
> Can you give an example of a singer of classical repertoire who could
> reasonably be classified as a falsettist, and in what ways does his
> vocal production differ from that of David Daniels?
> Best,
> Ken

Not having heard to the contrary, I'm concluding that:
1. A countertenor employs a highly developed falsetto production;
2. The objection to the term "falsettist" is based upon the negative
associations with the term, not its descriptive qualities.
Best,
Ken

Jeffrey

Aug 4, 2006, 3:51:52 AM8/4/06
IOW, I don't have the foggiest.
--
Jeffrey

The Handelmaniac

Aug 4, 2006, 3:39:28 PM8/4/06

> Not having heard to the contrary, I'm concluding that:
> 1. A countertenor employs a highly developed falsetto production;
> 2. The objection to the term "falsettist" is based upon the negative
> associations with the term, not its descriptive qualities.
> Best,
> Ken

I know the use of the word "falsettist' is an ignorant evaluation of
singers who have FABULOUS naturally high-placed voices..most,by the
way,were NOT tenor.s.they were high baritones..
I will ask my friend to ask david daniels more in detail..remember..the
so-called 'gfalsettists' sing in the lower range..NOT in a high
falstetto...the kind of notes than mny tenors m8ight use to sing a
puritani high F.....

However, Zi am not well-versed in this..so will find out more from
Daniels..and will get back to you..Charlie

ljo

Aug 4, 2006, 4:51:14 PM8/4/06
> I know the use of the word "falsettist' is an ignorant evaluation of
> singers who have FABULOUS naturally high-placed voices..most,by the
> way,were NOT tenor.s.they were high baritones..
> I will ask my friend to ask david daniels more in detail..remember..the
> so-called 'gfalsettists' sing in the lower range..NOT in a high
> falstetto...the kind of notes than mny tenors m8ight use to sing a
> puritani high F.....
>
> However, Zi am not well-versed in this..so will find out more from
> Daniels..and will get back to you..Charlie

That's sure to be a treat.

ljo

La Donna Mobile

Aug 4, 2006, 5:47:29 PM8/4/06

Ken Meltzer

Aug 4, 2006, 5:51:41 PM8/4/06

The Handelmaniac wrote:

> I know the use of the word "falsettist' is an ignorant evaluation of
> singers who have FABULOUS naturally high-placed voices..most,by the
> way,were NOT tenor.s.they were high baritones..
> I will ask my friend to ask david daniels more in detail..remember..the
> so-called 'gfalsettists' sing in the lower range..NOT in a high
> falstetto...the kind of notes than mny tenors m8ight use to sing a
> puritani high F.....
>
> However, Zi am not well-versed in this..so will find out more from
> Daniels..and will get back to you..Charlie

Thank-you, Charlie. I appreciate it.
Best,
Ken

Ortrud Jones

Aug 4, 2006, 6:37:02 PM8/4/06
While you're at it, clown, tell DD to grow a pair. Thanks!

-Ortrud Jones

The Handelmaniac wrote:

> However, Zi am not well-versed in this..so will find out more from
> Daniels..and will get back to you..Charlie

.

F R

Aug 4, 2006, 7:05:32 PM8/4/06
------------------
i'm enjoying this thread greatly and look forward to what mr. daniels
says.

frank

The Handelmaniac

Aug 4, 2006, 10:42:43 PM8/4/06

David (in a three way "conference call" with my friend and him...a
sweetheart...was a tenor originally..but found he could sing in this
so-called "falsetto'...which is really HEAD VOICE..it did come
naturally to him....and he does not use the term FALSETTO....I will
speak more to him about it...but he had to run...but it is really EVIL
to call these wonderful musicians 'falsettists."

ljo

Aug 5, 2006, 12:54:32 AM8/5/06
> David (in a three way "conference call" with my friend and him...a
> sweetheart...was a tenor originally..but found he could sing in this
> so-called "falsetto'...which is really HEAD VOICE..it did come
> naturally to him....and he does not use the term FALSETTO....I will
> speak more to him about it...but he had to run...but it is really EVIL
> to call these wonderful musicians 'falsettists."

"Evil"? Why? What is a falsettist?

The Handelmaniac

Aug 5, 2006, 2:26:46 AM8/5/06
David is far far far more of a man than you could ever be...CH

La Donna Mobile

Aug 5, 2006, 6:13:16 AM8/5/06
I think you might find this tale...amusing... (from the blogosphere's
very own male soprano)

http://hojoto.typepad.com/counterpoint_30/2006/07/sacr_bleu.html

alanwa...@aol.com

Aug 5, 2006, 6:31:02 AM8/5/06

La Donna Mobile wrote:
> Ortrud Jones wrote:
> > While you're at it, clown, tell DD to grow a pair. Thanks!
> >
> > -Ortrud Jones
> >
> > The Handelmaniac wrote:
> >

> >>However, Zi am not well-versed in this..so will find out more from
> >>Daniels..and will get back to you..Charlie
> >
> > .
> >
> I think you might find this tale...amusing... (from the blogosphere's
> very own male soprano)
>
> http://hojoto.typepad.com/counterpoint_30/2006/07/sacr_bleu.html
>
> --
Deller was very fond of telling the story of how some "forward" lady at
a musical soiree once asked him: "Are you...errr...normal down there?"
(Casting her eyes "down there").

To which Deller said he replied: "I believe so, Madam, but why don't
you ask my wife - she's over there. And she might introduce you to
some of our children......."

Mr Deller always enjoyed those occasions and had a fund of similar
stories.

Ken Meltzer

Aug 5, 2006, 10:11:22 AM8/5/06

The Handelmaniac wrote:

> David (in a three way "conference call" with my friend and him...a
> sweetheart...was a tenor originally..but found he could sing in this
> so-called "falsetto'...which is really HEAD VOICE..it did come
> naturally to him....and he does not use the term FALSETTO....I will
> speak more to him about it...but he had to run...but it is really EVIL
> to call these wonderful musicians 'falsettists."

This is from the Grove's Dictionary of Music and Musicians:
<<Repertory, sacred and secular, was written for male high-voice
soloists, who usually employed Falsetto (a colloquial, erroneous and
misleading term for second-mode phonation or pure head register),
exclusively or in part. In different countries and periods they became
titled, variously, 'countertenor', 'Alto', 'altist',
'falsettist', 'Contralto', or 'Haute-contre'.>>

Is the term "falsettist" more or less evil than the other terms
mentioned here? If it is more evil, then why is that so?
Best,
Ken

jme...@peoplepc.com

Aug 5, 2006, 10:35:32 AM8/5/06
Ken Meltzer wrote:

> Is the term "falsettist" more or less evil than the other terms
> mentioned here? If it is more evil, then why is that so?

Oh, please! As the "Nazi" thread has shown, the word "evil" is utterly
meaningless when slung around by The Opera Clown.

Ortrud Jones

Aug 5, 2006, 1:32:57 PM8/5/06
Correct. I'm a woman...even if his balls haven't dropped he's more of a
man than I am, fool.

-Ortrud Jones