The Death of Civility?

1 view

eleanor

Jun 24, 2005, 8:10:13 PM6/24/05
Mr. Ellsworth,
Perhaps there is an avenue by which the impending collapse of our
little peace initiative may be avoided. I have taken DonPaolo's
suggestion of reaching back into the archives, in this instance, to try
to understand how you and GrndPaDave came to be at such hostile
loggerheads with one another. The following series of exchanges
occurred on the heels of some rather edgy disagreements over politics
and labor relations by the parties involved and may have been
exacerbated thereby. I ask you to read what follows, and to note
particularly that GrndPaDave did in fact apologize to you for comments
that you perceived as offensive, but which he, in all probability,
never intended as such. Additionally, it seems possible that in the day
to day rough-and-tumble of RMO life his apology may have escaped your
notice. I believe that this is an opportunity for you to exercise an
impulse of expansive goodwill and declare this episode satisfactorily
closed for the benefit of the parties directly involved and for the
rest of us who are peripherally injured by the ongoing strife.
Thank you,
Eleanor Richards

J.Venning Sep 10 2003, 11:10 am
You will attend one of our concerts next year now, won't you, Terry?
You were otherwise occupied in June this year. We'll all go to dine and
wine afterwards (yes, this time I'll pay), and who knows, but a kind
soul will phone from Florida yet again to insist on paying for the
dessert?
J.

GRNDPADAVE Sep 10 2003, 12:31 pm
If Terry goes to your concert, I'll pay for his ticket and for his
friend, too -- if he has one.
==G/P Dave

Terrymelin Sep 10 2003, 1:35 pm
Not very nice, Dave. I have a wife and she's also a friend. Does that
mean you will pay twice?
Terry Ellsworth

GRNDPADAVE Sep 10 2003, 3:02 pm
If she's still both at the time of the festival, yes !
==G/P Dave

J.Venning Sep 10 2003, 3:52 pm
C'mon you guys! Music is supposed to be the food of love. Anyway, my
concerts will be free, sponsored by the Chicago Danish-American
community.
J.

GRNDPADAVE Sep 10 2003, 3:56 pm
OK, John.
I'll say this for Terry. Apart from his politics and his taste in
music, I think he's a terrific guy.
And I am sure he will enjoy your singing and that of your colleagues at
least as much as I. Vive la compagnie !
==G/P Dave

Terrymelin Sep 10 2003, 4:39 pm
>C'mon you guys! Music is supposed to be the food of love. Anyway, my
>concerts will be free, sponsored by the Chicago Danish-American community.
>J.
Agreed. Which is why I've never insulted one's wife or significant
other on this ng. Wish I could say the same for others ....
Terry Ellsworth

J.Venning Sep 10 2003, 4:43 pm
I dub thee Sir Terry the Pure Hearted.
J.

Terrymelin Sep 10 2003, 6:41 pm
Thank you! But only a sir? Can't I be at least a Duke?
Terry Ellsworth

J.Venning Sep 11 2003, 1:09 am
You'll have to be satisfied with a Knighthood for a start, Terry,
and if you show yourself worthy, We'll consider a promotion or two.
J.

Terrymelin Sep 11 2003, 10:22 am
Sounds good. I think I can work with that.

[Forty days later]

Terrymelin Oct 30 2003, 8:01 pm
Can you imagine a room with this dope, Kasimer, Gable, G/P Dave, et al?
The thought just makes one shudder. Of course, you'd have to find a
room large enough to fit all those egos and plus-size bodies.
Terry Ellsworth

Elizabeth Hubbell Oct 31 2003, 2:47 am
[from Geof. Riggs; not Eliz. H., my better half]
Terrymelin wrote:
> Can you imagine a room with this dope, Kasimer, Gable, G/P Dave, et al? The
> thought just makes one shudder. Of course, you'd have to find a room large
> enough to fit all those egos and plus-size bodies.

I see. So now G/P Dave is one of the pariahs -- SHEESH!!!
Geoff Riggs

Terrymelin Oct 31 2003, 10:21 am
Well, he is the one who started the insults two months ago by dragging
my wife into the discussion.
Terry Ellsworth

Steve Silverman Oct 31 2003, 10:29 am
Sorry, Terry, but I can't keep quiet on this one any longer. I saw the
post that started all this, and, there is no way that it can possibly
be construed as an insult to or attack on your wife. Not only that, but
there is nobody on this group less likely to insult the family of any
poster than Grandpa Dave. That may not be consistent with the picture
you wish to paint of the man, but I suspect the 99.99% of people here
know that it is the truth.
Steve Silverman

Terrymelin Oct 31 2003, 12:11 pm
Why don't you quote from the post to prove your point?
And, I ask you, why did G/P Dave bring up the subject of my wife in the
first place? Was it necessary?
Terry Ellsworth

Steve Silverman Oct 31 2003, 12:35 pm
I think you're looking to pick a fight with Dave where there is none to
be picked.
Steve Silverman

Terrymelin Oct 31 2003, 2:39 pm
You made a statement. I suggest you provide proof of it. I am not
interested in picking fights but when someone drags the name of my wife
into a petty newsgroup dispute then I expect an apology but neither G/P
Dave or Gable is apparently man enough to do so.
Terry Ellsworth

Commspkmn Oct 31 2003, 2:56 pm
Terry-
I'm trying to get some perspective here. Is the following what you're
referring to?
>>If Terry goes to your concert, I'll pay for his ticket and for his
friend,
>>too -- if he has one.
>>==G/P Dave

>Not very nice, Dave. I have a wife and she's also a friend. Does that mean
>you
>will pay twice?
>Terry Ellsworth
~~~~~~~~~
If she's still both at the time of the festival, yes !

==G/P Dave>>
Best,
Ken

Terrymelin Oct 31 2003, 2:41 pm
>If Terry goes to your concert, I'll pay for his ticket and for his friend,
>too -- if he has one.
>==G/P Dave

Insult number one.

>If she's still both at the time of the festival, yes !

>==G/P Dave

Insult number two.
Implying that there is something wrong that might lead my wife to no
longer be my wife next Spring is insulting.
Only a moron wouldn't see that.
Terry Ellsworth

GRNDPADAVE Oct 31 2003, 2:51 pm
Dear Terry:
Thank you for recalling to my attention my terrible lapses of civility.
Since these are the statements I have made which have caused you
grievous pain, you have my sincere apology for my having made them.
If you require more than that, please let me know.
Dave

Terry Ellsworth

Jun 25, 2005, 9:36:33 AM6/25/05
The apology is not accepted. It is insincere and it comes after 7 or 8
posts in which he mocked and insulted me further.

I was the "big person" by issuing the first apology. There was only one
acceptable response to that apology and that was to do the same.

G/P Dave chose another route -- for 48 hours -- by continuing the feud
by mocking me, etc.

Now comes a so-called "apology." I'm not buying it. Where is the
apology to the entire group?

And you, dear lady, show your true colors by joining Finley and others
in just carrying water for G/P Dave.

So be it.

Terry

grndp...@aol.com

Jun 25, 2005, 9:53:57 AM6/25/05
The apology you refer to was issued in October, 2003.

<<GRNDPADAVE Oct 31 2003, 2:51 pm
Dear Terry:
Thank you for recalling to my attention my terrible lapses of civility.

Since these are the statements I have made which have caused you
grievous pain, you have my sincere apology for my having made them.
If you require more than that, please let me know.
Dave >>

But as you appear to need a bogeyman to support your prejudices, I
guess that is the role I am assigned in your cybernetic persona.

As you liken all demurrals from your pruniciamentos as abuse, no matter
how politely phrased, any rational discourse with you is foreclosed.

Sorry about that, but it is clear that you either cannot or simply
refuse to read precisely what others have written. You choose
fantasies over truth and construct conspiracies where none exist.

==G/P Dave

dtritter

Jun 25, 2005, 10:08:50 AM6/25/05
i watchd this mawkish sham with wry amusement, up to and including the
latest ellsworth screed, in which he pledges renewed combat with any and
all comers. my position is utterly predictable: few rmo'ers are more in
need of psychiatric treatment than ellsworth. fortunately, he is, by his
repeated confession, not without means to afford it. unfortunately
[except for compilers of casebooks on paranoia] he is a sure bet not to
seek the treatment he obviously so desperately needs.
maybe tom cruise has a cure.
to this we've come. (operatic post)

J S

Jun 25, 2005, 10:22:58 AM6/25/05
G/P Dave wrote:
<<Sorry about that but it is clear that you cannot or simply refuse to

read precisely what others have written.
You choose fantasies over truth and construct conspiracies where none
exist.>>

A precise assessment of Mr Ellsworth's unhappy posting history; omitting
the fact of his penchant for gratuitous insults.
And keeping in mind that nothing is more true than that you cannot
reason with an unreasonable mind, future efforts to do so will only
prove frustrating.

~ Roger

Terry Ellsworth

Jun 25, 2005, 10:41:25 AM6/25/05

It didn't take long for the name-calling to begin again did it? And
irony of ironies it came from two people who have been among the most
egregious hate-mongers here: tritter and Roger. They remained
conspicuous by their silence and only broke to come out and start the
name-calling again.

I'm sure G/P Dave and Mr. Finley are happy to have them on "their
side."

Terry Ellsworth

LJO

Jun 25, 2005, 10:39:46 AM6/25/05

"dtritter" <dtri...@speakeasy.net> wrote

> i watchd this mawkish sham with wry amusement, up to and including the
> latest ellsworth screed, in which he pledges renewed combat with any and
> all comers. my position is utterly predictable: few rmo'ers are more in
> need of psychiatric treatment than ellsworth. fortunately, he is, by his
> repeated confession, not without means to afford it. unfortunately [except
> for compilers of casebooks on paranoia] he is a sure bet not to seek the
> treatment he obviously so desperately needs.
> maybe tom cruise has a cure.
> to this we've come. (operatic post)>

Maybe you and him and Tillman should go in together and qualify for a volume
discount.

LJO

Mark

Jun 25, 2005, 11:08:37 AM6/25/05

Terry,
It's crying shame that this initiative has unraveled the way it has. It
may come as a surprise, but for a great many posters here, myself
included, there are no "sides". It is true that I personally hold
disdain for several posters. That's no secret. However, in the wake of
this entire debacle, I have decided to simply ignore those few posters
and concentrate on the subject at hand. It would be great if you (and
others) could do the same.
Best regards,
Mark

Leonard Tillman

Jun 25, 2005, 11:14:31 AM6/25/05

>you appear to need a bogeyman

I feel it is patently unfair to bring Mr. Bogart into this fiasco,
especially since he's absent and therefore unable to reply.

LT

Leonard Tillman

Jun 25, 2005, 11:16:57 AM6/25/05
The Instantly-Reneging StinkyShorts Bollmann, gushes about:

>a volume discount.

On your s-swigs, Stinky? You are one(?) little lush, you know.

LT

Leonard Tillman

Jun 25, 2005, 11:19:16 AM6/25/05
Slater -

>Terry,
>It's crying shame that this initiative has
> unraveled the way it has. It may come as a
> surprise, but for a great many posters here,
> myself included, there are no "sides".

Uh-huh.

>It is true that I personally hold disdain for
> several posters. That's no secret.

And we luuuuuuuuvvvvvv you, too, murd.

> However, in the wake of this entire debacle, I
> have decided to simply ignore those few
> posters and concentrate on the subject at
> hand. It would be great if you (and others)
> could do the same.

Weeeee shaaaaaallll seeeeeee.

LT

Terry Ellsworth

Jun 25, 2005, 12:28:06 PM6/25/05
Unfortunately, I've tried that approach and it doesn't work. It is
impossible at times to inhabit a place where some of these people exist
and, therefore, the choices are to leave or to battle them constantly.
I'm not leaving. I guess I'm just not "big" enough -- and who is? -- to
pretend that what happened didn't happen because one person and his
"amen corner" just couldn't bring themselves to act like men.

Best regards,
Terry Ellsworth

J S

Jun 25, 2005, 12:44:21 PM6/25/05
Terry Ellsworth wrote:
<< It didn't take long for the name calling to begin again, did it?>>

Well, hell, I waited until I received your permission.

~ Roger

eleanor

Jun 25, 2005, 2:42:44 PM6/25/05
Mr. Ellsworth,
Your apology was no more genuine than you assert GrndPaDave's to have
been. Nevertheless, even an insincere apology may be of great value if
it is accompanied by a determination to modify one's behavior in order
to bring about an improvement in the status quo. I had hoped that was
your purpose. To engage in a pattern of conduct which elicits odious
behavior by others, which in turn gives rise to anger and resentment on
your part is to give them power over you. It is a vicious cycle which
can be broken only by a dramatic break with previous behavior patterns
accompanied by a steel-willed determination not to lapse back into the
old sterile routine. It is saying to oneself, "I can be a better person
regardless of what choices others may make for themselves. No matter
what happens, I will not give them power over me." Indeed, if one is
able to think of an apology as an apology to one's own self, it's
potency may be multiplied manifold. It is saying to one's self, "I am
sorry to have insulted my self-respect by engaging in behavior that I
know to be 'character-negative' rather than 'character-positive'.
Regardless of what others may do, I will discontinue this behavior
because I know it is not good for me".
Please note that, although I am answering you directly, my observations
are directly equally at certain others who cannot fail to identify with
these points. However, there may be one or two who are in such deep
denial that no amount of rational argument will penetrate their
psychoses.
Last, Mr. Ellsworth, I do not "carry water" for anyone except myself
and my family, and my "true colors" are known only to be. I will thank
you to bear that in mind, and your better self will thank you also.
Eleanor Richards

JAG...@aol.com

Jun 25, 2005, 2:52:18 PM6/25/05

eleanor wrote:
> I have taken DonPaolo's suggestion of reaching back into the archives, in > this instance, to try to understand how you and GrndPaDave came to be at > such hostile loggerheads with one another.

you have too much time on your hands, and somebody should remove your
feeding tube and put you to sleep. how is this for civility, bitch? jag

J S

Jun 25, 2005, 3:25:01 PM6/25/05
"JAG" wrote:
<<You have too much time on your hands, and somebody should remove your

feeding tube and put you to sleep. how is this for civility, bitch?>>

Although you are virtually quoting Terry, at least his remarks can be
somewhat justified because of their lying within the realm of human
nature, with it's attendant hurt feelings over a perceived slight.
Our best protection from random wild beasts in cyberspace, such as you,
is the killfile, or strict avoidance, which I will implement in your
case, and urge everyone else to do.

~ Roger

eleanor

Jun 25, 2005, 4:01:02 PM6/25/05
It is very witty. How did it make you feel?
Eleanor Richards

Leonard Tillman

Jun 25, 2005, 4:06:55 PM6/25/05
"Ellie":

>There may be one or two who are in such

> deep denial that no amount of rational
> argument will penetrate their psychoses.

And you, dear, are one of them.

>Last, Mr. Ellsworth, I do not "carry water" for
> anyone except myself and my family

The local Gunga Din, eh?

>and my "true colors" are known only to be.

Only to be what?

LT

LJO

Jun 25, 2005, 4:34:12 PM6/25/05

"J S" <somer...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> "JAG" wrote:
> <<You have too much time on your hands, and somebody should remove your
> feeding tube and put you to sleep. how is this for civility, bitch?>>
>
> Although you are virtually quoting Terry..>

JAG *is* Terry. My studies reveal far too many points of similarity for it
to be coincidence.

But Tillman, alas, is only Tillman, although it is not his real name.

Leonard Tillman

Jun 25, 2005, 4:21:38 PM6/25/05

From: elliericha...@yahoo.com (eleanor)

>It is very witty. How did it make you feel?

You're, hopefully, NOT about to regale RMO with your rendition of "I
Feel Witty". If you are, please apologize to Leonard Bernstein AT
ONCE.

LT

LJO

Jun 25, 2005, 4:35:09 PM6/25/05

"eleanor" <elliericha...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> It is very witty. How did it make you feel?
> Eleanor Richards

Never mind JAG, ma'am. It's only Ellsworth.

LJO

Jun 25, 2005, 4:59:46 PM6/25/05

"Leonard Tillman" <tapef...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Leonardo, the correct title is "I Feel Pretty". And the lyrics are by
Sondheim, not Bernstein. And Bernstein is dead at the present time. And you
should get off of Ms. Richard's case. You're way out of your depth. Unless,
of course, you plan to Tillmanaise her.

alanwa...@aol.com

Jun 25, 2005, 5:13:05 PM6/25/05

The lyrics were, of course, subsequently changed to wipe out the words
gay and today and replace them with bright and tonight.

Why would this be do you think?

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins

alanwa...@aol.com

Jun 25, 2005, 5:26:59 PM6/25/05

Are you absolutely certain, dear girl, that you are on the right group
here?

For some inexplicable reason, I am reminded of the wonderful entry of
the Maid in Martinu: Zenitka (The Marriage) who bounces on stage right
and announces in her first entry: "I keep house in a comic opera."

Do you happen to have studied this part?

Leonard Tillman

Jun 25, 2005, 5:20:47 PM6/25/05

StinkyShorts, via its gibbers, tells us:

>JAG *is* Terry.

No, but Stinky Bollmann is an a-hole.

My studies reveal far too many points of

similarity for the Bole-A-Hole Connection to be mere coincidence.

>But Mr Tillman, alas, is my Lovegod, and his
> name, unlike each and every one of mine, is
> really, really, real.

And you, Stink, are a real a-hole.

LT

Leonard Tillman

Jun 25, 2005, 5:24:13 PM6/25/05

Stinky the Humorless:

>Leonardo, the correct title is "I Feel Pretty".

No shit, Stinky??? Who knew?

>Bernstein is dead at the present time.

Yet, still more alive than you'll ever be, Stinky.

>And you should get off of Ms. Richard's case.

She's on _our_ case. Nobody, including MR.
Richardthedanelionheartedthefourth, is or wants to be on her case,
Stinky.

>I'm way out of my depth.

As always, Stink.

LT

Leonard Tillman

Jun 25, 2005, 5:34:36 PM6/25/05

"Ellie":

>There may be one or two who are in such
> deep denial that no amount of rational
>argument

"What "rational arguments" have you offered?"

>will penetrate their psychoses.

"And you, dear, are one of them. "

(Hmm....likelier, several.)

LT

Leonard Tillman

Jun 25, 2005, 5:46:40 PM6/25/05

dtritter

Jun 25, 2005, 7:03:46 PM6/25/05
you and HE and tillman, my illiterate friend.

dtritter

Jun 25, 2005, 7:04:58 PM6/25/05
Terry Ellsworth wrote:

there is no side, save for the pshychiatric ward, in whichellsworth is
principal denizen.

Leonard Tillman

Jun 25, 2005, 9:15:30 PM6/25/05
Stinky, the Bargain Expert:

>you and him and Tillman should go in together
> and qualify for a volume discount.

>Le Stinque

DFT:

>you and HE and tillman, my illiterate friend.

Not to be picky, but it's "Boll, itself and itselves".

LT

LJO

Jun 25, 2005, 9:52:17 PM6/25/05

"dtritter" <dtri...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

It's 'There is no side, save for the psychiatric ward, in which Ellsworth is
[the] principal denizen.', my illiterate klutz.

Handelmaniac

Jun 25, 2005, 10:42:34 PM6/25/05
Notice how any thread that deals with "apologies' is dumb..and has
nothing to do with opera..and is another way to perpetuate the
insanity.....CH

Leonard Tillman

Jun 25, 2005, 11:03:52 PM6/25/05
Stinky:

>It's....

No, boll, It's

'There is no side, save for the latrine hole psychiatric ward, in which
Bollmann is [all of the] principal denizens.', O, illiterate futznik.

dtritter

Jun 26, 2005, 5:45:43 AM6/26/05
some can write. some can type. only a bean-counting asshole like bollman
would trouble himself to demonstrate his category. do not attempt
literacy, you vile piece of shit. it was never your forte. and it is
self evident that klutzery is way beyond you as well.

Chris Search

Jun 27, 2005, 4:23:22 PM6/27/05
Has anyone been able to verify the identify this Eleanor Richards?

Chris Search

Jun 27, 2005, 4:25:03 PM6/27/05
For someone incapable of proper punctuation, capitalization, and
grammar you ought not to be the one talking about psychiatric wards,
asshole.

capa0...@aol.com

Jun 27, 2005, 10:31:17 PM6/27/05
>Has anyone been able to verify the identify this Eleanor Richards?

================
My apologies if this appears twice. I thought that I answered this
query several hours ago, but since it has not appeared, I will venture
it again.

Eleanor's beautifully constructed sentences, her extensive vocabulary,
her meticulous even-handedness and her obvious concern for the future
of rmo all remind me very much of our good friend Geoffrey Riggs who
has been strangely silent as regards the 'apology' threads.

Mr Gable is capable of writing this well and this passionately, but his
frequent participation in these threads under his own name, would
suggest that he is not Eleanor. LJO, of course, is very capable of
adopting virtually any writing style that suits his purpose, but the
stark seriousness of Eleanor's posts makes it unlikely, it seems to
me, that our witty young reporter is 'La Eleanor'. I would rule out
REG, too, on much the same grounds. Ancona is also capable of writing
with Eleanor's grace, but I do not think he would have taken the
position she took.

Eleanor Riggsbe -- that's my guess

Pat, who finds the puzzling out of 'secret identities' to be one of the
unremarked attractions of rmo.

Mark

Jun 27, 2005, 11:13:35 PM6/27/05

capa0...@aol.com wrote:

> Pat, who finds the puzzling out of 'secret identities' to be one of the
> unremarked attractions of rmo.

These are known as "sock puppets" on the internet.

eleanor

Jun 28, 2005, 8:39:28 AM6/28/05
Dear Mr. Finley,
During my years of reading rec.music.opera I have sometimes thought its
essential nature is, by turns, like an African watering hole, like a
tri-via, like the Northern Lights, like the great hurricane on the
planet Jupiter, like a television soap opera, like a comedy club, like
a Cuckoo's Nest, and like a refuge for the lonely. It is a dangerous
place and it is a homey comforting place. Some come to get their egos
polished, and some come to joust. Some come to read or write about
opera, politics, sports, movies etc. Some dash in and dash out while
others seem to live here, fearful of missing a single post. There is
touching kindness to be found here as well as cynicism, cruelty and
hatred.

It was the cruelty and hatred that prompted me to speak up as I did.
Often, a gentle nudge can yield more positive results than a slap in
the face. One of the saddest things in life, to me, is how one can
accumulate, without even noticing, a heavy burden of negative baggage
that is virtually enslaving to the spirit. The fortunate person who is
able to summon up the inner resources to liberate himself from the
garbage will experience a sense of freedom hardly imagineable.

I remain hopeful that Mr. Ellsworth will try again and succeed. Then
perhaps others will do likewise. But, if not, Mr. Ellsworth will
realize that his own happiness will be ill-served by reclaiming his
baggage.

Sincerely,
Eleanor Richards

LeGray

Jun 28, 2005, 4:33:56 PM6/28/05

capa0...@aol.com wrote:

> Mr Gable is capable of writing this well and this passionately, but his
> frequent participation in these threads under his own name, would
> suggest that he is not Eleanor. LJO, of course, is very capable of
> adopting virtually any writing style that suits his purpose, but the
> stark seriousness of Eleanor's posts makes it unlikely, it seems to
> me, that our witty young reporter is 'La Eleanor'. I would rule out
> REG, too, on much the same grounds. Ancona is also capable of writing
> with Eleanor's grace, but I do not think he would have taken the
> position she took.
>
> Eleanor Riggsbe -- that's my guess

Pat:

You might easily have included yourself in this lisitng of rmo
stylists. I gather modesty forbade.

And yet a puzzlement: you overlook the finely-chiseled prose of a
certain Mortimer Tillman.

LeGray

capa0...@aol.com

Jun 28, 2005, 5:53:39 PM6/28/05
You might easily have included yourself in this listing of rmo
stylists.
======================

Nah, I'm much too busy stabbing people in the back and plotting all
sorts of nefarious machinations in our friendly cabal to have time to
fashion a good English sentence.

>>And yet a puzzlement: you overlook the finely-chiseled prose of a certain Mortimer Tillman.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Like a beautiful flower, full of colour but without scent, are the MT
words of him who does not act accordingly."

Actually MT words are not altogether without a certain scent, but
that's another story

Pat

premie...@aol.com

Jun 28, 2005, 6:00:34 PM6/28/05
The title of this thread fascintates me.
What civility has there been to die? It's been gone from here for a
year or two at least.

Ed

grndp...@aol.com

Jun 28, 2005, 6:57:53 PM6/28/05
premiereop...@aol.com Jun 28, 6:00 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.music.opera
From: premiereop...@aol.com - Find messages by this author
Date: 28 Jun 2005 15:00:34 -0700
Subject: Re: The Death of Civility?
original | Report Abuse

Ed
~~~~~~~~~~~~
My guess is that the originator of the thread had in mind the several
hours during which polite conversation dominated RMO.

The window was open briefly. And then was slammed shut by the person
who had bravely opened it.

All that is necessary to bring civility to RMO is for the writers to
cease the mud-slinging.

You once tried to bring that about.

I think Paul Cohen (whatever happened to him?) also tried.

In your case and in Paul's the effort was untainted.

I'd say that (going back to 1994) the mere mention of Placido Domingo
was sufficient to bring about a torrent of abuse and led some
sensitive souls to abandon RMO.

Too bad. Now that Domingo is virtually out of the picture, one would
think the tone would improve (no pun intended).

But alas some people incapable of posting without referring to their
adversaries' eating habits and worse.

I suspect civility can return if we could have a 3-day moritorium on
insults and language that would be frowned on by the FCC.

No pledges are needed. All it takes is to do it.

Actions are more eloquent than words.

==G/PDave

Terry Ellsworth

Jun 28, 2005, 7:08:34 PM6/28/05
G/P Dave flitted ...

"The window was open briefly. And then was slammed shut by the person
who had bravely opened it."

I cannot let this go unremarked. I ask one very simple question ...
what exactly did G/P Dave do to keep the window open? Anything?

Were 7 or 8 posts mocking the apology thread helpful to keeping the
window open?

Just asking.

Terry Ellsworth

premie...@aol.com

Jun 28, 2005, 7:14:48 PM6/28/05
grndpad...@aol.com Jun 28, 6:57 pm show options

premiereop...@aol.com Jun 28, 6:00 pm show options

The title of this thread fascintates me.

What civility has there been to die? It's been gone from here for a
year or two at least.
Ed

~~~~~~~~~~~~
My guess is that the originator of the thread had in mind the several
hours during which polite conversation dominated RMO.

The window was open briefly. And then was slammed shut by the person
who had bravely opened it.

All that is necessary to bring civility to RMO is for the writers to
cease the mud-slinging.
You once tried to bring that about.
I think Paul Cohen (whatever happened to him?) also tried.
In your case and in Paul's the effort was untainted.

It may have been untainted but it sure didn't work!! We had about three
days of relative peace last summer, and then the same ones started up
again.

I guess Paul just gave up with this whole damn mess. Who could blame
him?j

Ed

Leonard Tillman

Jun 28, 2005, 11:19:00 PM6/28/05

The PantyWaste VanDerFruit, re its Lovegod:

>the finely-chiseled prose of a certain Leonard
> Tillman, the Lovegod for whose thrusts I
> yearn, palpitating in my vapors.

>VanDerFruit LeGruesome

True.

>WHO are you calling a....

T-H-E-E.

LT

Leonard Tillman

Jun 28, 2005, 11:22:35 PM6/28/05

"Like a withered stinkweed, full of reekings but without scent, are the
Finley words of it who does act accordingly."

Actually Finley words are not altogether without a certain scent, aka
s-h-i-t, matching the rest of its entirety, but that's another story,
and a sad one it is, - known best to a certain K-a-t-h-l-e.... Alas,
alas....tsk, tsk.

LT

Mark

Jun 29, 2005, 12:56:23 AM6/29/05

Crude creep. You should shut up.

Leonard Tillman

Jun 29, 2005, 5:01:13 AM6/29/05
Murdy says:

>I is a Crude UnWash DC creep and should
> shut the f&&& up, way up.

Yes, you should, Murdy. Do it.

LT

Alex Bell

Jun 29, 2005, 7:31:21 AM6/29/05

But if Mr. Tilman's words are as offensive to you as they are to me
why in heaven's name quote them? Having killfiled him long ago I
would not have seen this garbage if you had gratuitously served them
up. What purpose does it serve to repeat them?

Regards, Alex

Mark

Jun 29, 2005, 10:05:40 AM6/29/05

Alex Bell wrote:

> But if Mr. Tilman's words are as offensive to you as they are to me
> why in heaven's name quote them? Having killfiled him long ago I
> would not have seen this garbage if you had gratuitously served them
> up. What purpose does it serve to repeat them?
>
> Regards, Alex

Alex,
I apologize. I shan't do it again.
Best,
Mark

Leonard Tillman

Jun 29, 2005, 10:01:26 AM6/29/05

>What purpose does it serve to repeat them?

Yes, WHY DO Murdy and -

>Alex

Repeat them???

Guess they really love 'em.

LT

Leonard Tillman

Jun 29, 2005, 11:03:32 AM6/29/05
Sayeth Murdy:

>I apologize.

Yeah, right.

>I shan't do it again.

Oh, yes you "shan".

>Best,

Yeah, right.

LT

Leonard Tillman

Jun 29, 2005, 5:41:07 PM6/29/05
Scumpy Goebels chortles, through a mouthful of santorum:

>Yet another poster who has Mr. Tillman
> killfiled.

Nope, nott "yet another", Scumpy: This clown had announced it years ago.

But:
you can't read.

What a surprise.

LT

eleanor

Jun 29, 2005, 7:26:41 PM6/29/05
Mr. Tillman,

I'm told there are many newsgroups that welcome vitriol and
scatological wordplay. It would be a kindness to rmo if you were to
subscribe to one them and remain there until you learn a few simple
rules of decent human behavior. Thank you.

Eleanor Richards

eleanor

Jun 29, 2005, 7:26:47 PM6/29/05

Leonard Tillman

Jun 29, 2005, 8:03:41 PM6/29/05
"Ms. Ellie" tell what "she" is "told":

>Mr. Tillman, I'm told

"Told" by which of your alters, Toots?

>there are many newsgroups that welcome
> vitriol and scatological wordplay.

Ah, then, Ellie, dear, it would be an extreme kindness to rmo if you and
your provocateur pals/sockpuppets, etal, were to subscribe to one or all
of them and remain there until you learn a few simple rules of decent
human behavior, not that you're to be included in that category, nor any
other recognized primate-groups known to man.

Thank you,
now kindly go to the pantry and fix Mr.
Richardthedandelionheartedthefourth some long-overdue dinner, preferably
absenting yourself/selves as he tries, in vano, to masticate his
miniscule morsels, such as they are.

LT

Leonard Tillman

Jun 29, 2005, 8:05:26 PM6/29/05
"Ms. Ellie" tells what "she" is "told":

david...@aol.com

Jun 29, 2005, 2:28:41 PM6/29/05

Yet another poster who has Mr. Tillman killfiled. What a surprise.

-david gable

LeGray

Jun 29, 2005, 9:29:30 PM6/29/05
Leonard Tillman wrote:

> Scumpy Goebels chortles, through a mouthful of santorum:

Some readers of this newsgroup may need to be reminded that "santorum"
(and alternately "s-swigs") as Mr. Tillman consistently uses the term
is by definition: "The frothy mixture of lubricant, fecal matter, and
ejaculate often the by-product of anal sex."

How about *them* apples, Eleanor?

LeGray

Handelmaniac

Jun 29, 2005, 9:46:36 PM6/29/05

I'm told there are many newsgroups that welcome vitriol and
scatological wordplay.

YESSS.I know thyem well:

Jehovah's Swingers
The Three tenors' Concubine Forum
Handelmania
The Ed Rosen-cavalier forum

CH

Handelmaniac

Jun 29, 2005, 9:47:24 PM6/29/05
HE NEEEEEDS TO BE LIKE YOIU AND NOW>>ME>CH

Leonard Tillman

Jun 29, 2005, 10:35:22 PM6/29/05

S-Swigger Par Excellence LeGruesome VanDerFruit, clarifying on drink for
its "new" drinking buddy:

>Some readers of this newsgroup may need to
> be reminded that "santorum" (and alternately

> "s-swigs") as my Lovegod Mr. Tillman
> consistently refers to the Official Cabal
> Beverage, is by definition: "The frothy mixture
> the Cabal loves to love".

>How about *them* apples, Eleanor?

WHAT? You're now adding apple-juice to the mix???

Well, I defer to your expertise, LeFruit!

>Who are you calling, etc.?

Y-O-U!

LT

Leonard Tillman

Jun 29, 2005, 10:58:33 PM6/29/05
>I know thyem well

This "thyem well" gal: she's a soprano?

LT

JAG...@aol.com

Jun 29, 2005, 11:24:15 PM6/29/05

LeGray wrote:
> Some readers of this newsgroup may need to be reminded that "santorum"
> (and alternately "s-swigs") as Mr. Tillman consistently uses the term
> is by definition: "The frothy mixture of lubricant, fecal matter, and
> ejaculate often the by-product of anal sex."
>
> How about *them* apples, Eleanor?

seems to me that this blue-haired old hair pin has had her head up
somebody's ass for years or maybe her arm, so she knows all about
santorum. nothing more frothy than eleanor pulling her head out of the
opera clown's ass. jag

JAG...@aol.com

Jun 29, 2005, 11:34:50 PM6/29/05
and by the way, you pack of stinking perverts, i am definitely not
ellsworth. jag, the one and only

Leonard Tillman

Jun 30, 2005, 5:07:18 AM6/30/05
LeGruesomeVDB, proposing a santoral addition to "ellie":

>blahblaaaah How about *them* apples,
>Eleanor?

Jag observed:

>seems to me that this blue-haired old hair pin
> has had her head up somebody's ass for
> years or maybe her arm,

-That "somebody" being her prime "alter", so it's a convenient
insertion.

>so she knows all about santorum. nothing
> more frothy than eleanor pulling her head out
> of the opera clown's ass. jag

Aye, the froth! The froth of it all!!!

LT

LJO

Jun 30, 2005, 7:59:10 AM6/30/05

<JAG...@aol.com> wrote in message

> and by the way, you pack of stinking perverts, i am definitely not
> ellsworth. jag, the one and only

Good. So what do you think about that jackass?

Leonard Tillman

Jun 30, 2005, 11:11:38 AM6/30/05
Stinky, getting cagier, by referring to itself in third-"person":

>what do you think about that jackass?

We think you...er...it.. is what jackasses leave in the dirt several
hours after wolfing down very bad burritos, Stinky.

Helpfully,

LT

LeGray

Jul 1, 2005, 7:16:52 PM7/1/05

Leonard Tillman wrote:

> Aye, the froth! The froth of it all!!!
>
> LT

In fairness, it should be noted that Mr. Tillman adamantly denies
that he is homosexual. Make of that what you will.

LeGray

LJO

Jul 1, 2005, 7:40:50 PM7/1/05

"LeGray" <IdiaL...@aol.com> wrote in message

It is passing strange. But stranger still is that he has publically declared
his admiration of Sarah Brightman right here in this opera forum only a day
after claiming that NYCO has had no world-class singers for a "long time"
even though the brilliant Rita Shane enjoyed one of her greatest triumphs in
that house. Mr Tillman is not nearly as deft in the field of OperaLite that
I once thought him to be.

LJO, who figures LT is asexual apart from the hot flashes he gets from
wrestling a pastrami sandwich . .

Leonard Tillman

Jul 1, 2005, 7:46:53 PM7/1/05
FrothLips La VanDerFruit LeGruesome:

>In fairness, it should be noted that I adamantly >denies that I's a
homosexual.

Although you're likely A-sexual, eh, Fruity?

Make of that what you will, Fruity. Try to ooze a bit less Crisco® if
you please.

>WHO-Who-Who ARE you calling a Fruit....blahblah?

Y-O-U. Y-o-u. Y-o-u.

LT

Leonard Tillman

Jul 1, 2005, 8:30:58 PM7/1/05

Stinky Bollmann, Passer of Wind:

>I is passing strange.

"Strange Wind", Stinky? We know.

>But stranger still is that my Lovegod has
> publically[sicK-MF] declared his admiration of

> Sarah Brightman right here in this opera
> forum only a day after claiming that NYCO
> has had no world-class singers for a "long
> time"

Not what I claimed, Stink. Besides, what has Ms. Brightman to do with
Opera and NYCO?

> the brilliant Rita Shane enjoyed one of her
> greatest triumphs in that house.

Not in the era I referred to, you senile turdeater.

>I is not nearly as deft in the field of
> argumentation and the nonexistent
> "OperaLite" that I made up, as I once thought
> me to be.

You never thought at all, Stinky.

>I remain StinkyShorts Bollmann, who's
> asexual apart from the hot flashes I gets from
> wrestling a hot Crotte Canapé Platter. . .

Two out of three falls, Stink?

LT