Handel's Jephtha recordings

Jeff Lipton

Aug 4, 2002, 10:17:47 PM8/4/02
What is the best recording of this oratorio?
I have the old vanguard, which to my knowledge has not ever been on CD;
if I'm wrong, I"d love to find out where to get a copy. I have a recent
one from Germany with Emma Kirkby... any others recommendable?

jfl

Benoit

Aug 5, 2002, 4:36:00 AM8/5/02
I'm *very* happy with my J.E. Gardiner recording (Philips digital, 422
351-2), rec. june 1988. Involved musicians & singers are: Monteverdi Choir &
English Baroque Soloists, Nigel Robson, Lynne Dawson, Anne Sofie von Otter,
Michael Chance, Stephen Varcoe, Ruth Holton.
Enjoy!

Helmut Fischer

Aug 5, 2002, 6:13:43 AM8/5/02
Dear Jeff,

good news about the Vanguard recording with Maureen Forrester. It has been
released on CD (08 5091 73)!

Also Decca had its Jephtha on CD, but I think it is deleted from their
catalogue. A shame because it's an excellent recording from 1975 conducted
by Neville Marriner, again with Emma Kirkby (but back then as Angel, not
Iphis), Rolfe-Johnson, Margaret Marshall, Alfreda Hodgson, Paul Esswood and
Christopher Keyte (who now is a member of the Royal Opera Chorus!)

But my favourite recording of the oratorio is Marcus Creed's version from
1994 with John Mark Ainsley in the title role and Christiane Oelze,
Catherine Denley, Michael George, Axel Köhler and Julia Gooding (Berlin
Classics 1057-2)

Helmut

Jeff Burton

Aug 5, 2002, 12:55:45 PM8/5/02
"Benoit" <beno...@planetinternet.be> wrote in message

I also have this recording. It's the only recording of this oratorio I have
heard and I've never attended a live performance of it, so I can't offer a
comparative opinion. Given that caveat, I do find this music (or recording?)
lackluster. It was Handel's last big work written while he was in failing
health, and based on my limited exposure to it, I'd say there's just no
great music here.

Jeff Burton

Karen Mercedes

Aug 5, 2002, 1:24:38 PM8/5/02
to Jeff Lipton
Others:

On Berlin Classics: Akademie fuer alte Musik Berlin, RIAS Kammerchor,
Marcus Creed cond. John Mark Ainsley, Catherine Denley, Michael George,
Christine Oelze, et al, soloists. Also reissued by Joan Records/Brilliant
Classics as part of their 40-CD Complete Works of Handel collection.

On Philips: English Baroque Soloists, Monteverdi Choir, John Eliot
Gardiner cond. Nigel Robson, Anne Sofie von Otter, Michael Chance, Stephen
Varcoe, Lynne Dawson et al, soloists. Won Gramophone's Best Choral
recording award in 1989, and a nomination in '89 for best record from the
National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
______________________________________
I will sing with the spirit, and I
will sing with the understanding also.
1 Corinthians 14:15

Rodger Whitlock

Aug 5, 2002, 1:54:23 PM8/5/02
On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 12:13:43 +0200, "Helmut Fischer"
<Maul...@surfeu.at> wrote:

> good news about the Vanguard recording with Maureen Forrester. It has been
> released on CD (08 5091 73)!

This is a Dutch Vanguard issue. It can usually be acquired quite
cheaply from BRO.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada