Startin' Up A Posse

Drifter...

Dec 24, 1991, 10:51:29 PM12/24/91
This is a song dedicated to the PMRC (Parents Music Resource Center).

If you are easily offended, skip this article NOW!!

Now... I'm gonna tell ya a story, a tale of wrong and right.
And freedom is the reason you can't take it without a fight.

So now I'm startin' up a posse, (Suck my dick, suck my dick.)
To come and look for you. (Suck my dick, suck my dick.)
We're gonna put a stop (Suck my dick, suck my dick.)
To what you want to do. (Suck my dick, suck my dick.)
You fuckin' whores, (You fuckin' whores.)
That's all you are.

You say our records our offensive, (You're a douche, you're a douche.)
Our messages ain't right (You're a douche. you're a douche.)
Youy say "We're gonna label records (You're a douche, you're a douche.)
so our kids can grow up right" (You're a douche. you're a douche.))
You fuckin' whores, (Let them decide.)
That's all you are.

*Chorus*:
Shit! Fuck! Satan! Satan! Death! Sex! Drugs! Rape!
These seven words you're tryin' to take!
Shit! Fuck! Satan! Satan! Death! Sex! Drugs! Rape!
Right or wrong, it's our choice to make!
America the beautiful, land of the free,
Don't change the words to land of hypocrisy!

Now, I'm startin' up a posse, (Facist scum, facist scum.)
And we'll damn sure make you see. (Facist scum, facist scum.)
Something that offends you (Facist scum, facist scum.)
May not be offensive to me. (Facist scum, facist scum.)
You fuckin' whore, (You fuckin' whores.)
That's all you are.

Now you may take offense,
To a word like "fuck" or "shit". (Dick!)
But you fuckin' don't have the right (Cunt!)
To discriminate me for saying it!
You fuckin' whores, (You fuckin' whores.)
That's all you are. (Go suck a dick, eh?)

*Chorus*

So now I'm startin' up a posse, (Motherfucker, motherfuck.)
To fight for the freedom of choice. (Motherfucker, motherfuck.)
To fight for the freedom of speech, (Motherfucker, motherfuck.)
We're gonna make you hear our voice. (Motherfucker, motherfuck.)
And, now, I don't do this to shock you,(That's the end, that's the end.)
I don't do this for spite. (That's the end, that's the end.)
You've got the choice, don't buy it, don't read it,
(That's the end, that's the end.)
And don't say your opinion's right. (That's the end, that's the end.)
You fuckin' whores, (You fuckin' whores.)
That's all you are. (Cunty, cunty, cunty, cunt!)

You know you can't censor my feelings,
You can't censor my thoughts.
Censorship's against,
Everything America stands for.
You fuckin' whores, (Let us decide.)
That's all you are (And this ain't sexist, either!)

*Chorus*

--"Startin' Up A Possee" by Anthrax

|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|
| Drifter... Homo Postmortemus |
| ~~Annuit Coeptis Novus Ordo Seclorum~~ |
| ObQuote: The sweating, bruised, insect-bitten, food-splattered priest |
| said "Where's your external data tap?" --The Exorcist |
| ObClaim: Freedom isn't a right, it's a state of mind. |
| Internet: SNARLER%oak.d...@pine.circa.ufl.edu -or- 7%arms...@ufl.edu |
|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|

Allan Schaffer

Dec 25, 1991, 3:33:31 AM12/25/91
SNARLER%oak.d...@pine.circa.ufl.edu said..

>This is a song dedicated to the PMRC (Parents Music Resource Center).
>
>If you are easily offended, skip this article NOW!!

>*Chorus*:
> Shit! Fuck! Satan! Satan! Death! Sex! Drugs! Rape!
> These seven words you're tryin' to take!

Lest anyone think Anthrax a bunch of idiots because they can't count,
that second "Satan!" is an error. The line should be:
Shit! Fuck! Satan! Death! Sex! Drugs! Rape!

...and here's the liner notes for the song:

"The day this becomes a hit is the same day that people will
realize there is no such thing as "swear words" (why is "shit"
bad and "excrement" OK), that sex is not pornography, violence
is, and that heavy metal is not the Devil's music (I personally
think he's into new age). This -is- a free country. Speak
your minds people. Think it, say it, and fuckin' live it. The
main voice on this track is by scott. All the other voices are
charlie, frank, joe, dan, and mark dodson. We recorded this at
the same studios as "bring the noise". Mark engineered. It was
mixed by steve thompson and mechael barbiero at Electric Lady."

Allan
[cool song]
Allan Schaffer | There has already been a term coined
asch...@polyslo.csc.calpoly.edu | for this PC nonsense, some 44 years ago.
asch...@netcom.com | Newspeak.

Robert Hood

Dec 30, 1991, 3:27:31 PM12/30/91
In article <1991Dec25.08333...@netcom.COM> asch...@netcom.COM (Allan Schaffer) writes:
>SNARLER%oak.d...@pine.circa.ufl.edu said..
>>This is a song dedicated to the PMRC (Parents Music Resource Center).

>...and here's the liner notes for the song:

> "The day this becomes a hit is the same day that people will
> realize there is no such thing as "swear words" (why is "shit"
> bad and "excrement" OK), that sex is not pornography, violence
> is, and that heavy metal is not the Devil's music (I personally
> think he's into new age). This -is- a free country. Speak
> your minds people. Think it, say it, and fuckin' live it. The
> main voice on this track is by scott. All the other voices are
> charlie, frank, joe, dan, and mark dodson. We recorded this at
> the same studios as "bring the noise". Mark engineered. It was
> mixed by steve thompson and mechael barbiero at Electric Lady."

Anybody know WHY Anthrax released a CENSORED version of Killer B's? Every
swear word on the album was masked over by a buzzing sound (bees!)...AND
they REMOVED Startin' Up A Posse! Why? Is this the record company
trying to make more money? What is Anthrax's position on the censorship?
Was this a response to PMRC pressure?

>Allan
>[cool song]

Robert

Raymond j Clevenger

Dec 30, 1991, 6:53:09 PM12/30/91

They released it so that everyone could get a taste of Anthrax, even
people who are stuck inside towns filled with 'Tipper Gore Christians' who
won't let anyone say whatever they want to.

This is from an interview with Scott Ian.

-Doogie

"1991, always on the run. Seven years ago we wrote this one. Like Ernest
& Julio before it's time, seven years later it's holdin' up fine.
Stupid mutherfuckers like to slag us and dis, but there was no
bandwagon when we wrote this. Hey, you newjacks, what is it?
Your killing me, get off our dick!" - ANTHRAX (I'm the Man '91)

Perfume of a Critics Burning Flesh

Jan 2, 1992, 9:43:43 PM1/2/92

ho...@delfin.com (Robert Hood) writes:
>Anybody know WHY Anthrax released a CENSORED version of Killer B's? Every
>swear word on the album was masked over by a buzzing sound (bees!)...Why?

Because radio stations need editted (read: censored) versions
of songs for broadcast in the US. Currently, it is illegal
to broadcast "indecent" material over the airwaves. Indecent
includes but is not limited to the words: fuck, shit, piss,
cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits. The government
has been cracking down on radio stations more and more over
the last decade...so record companies are pressing specially
editted versions for radio stations. Now why they are
releasing these to the general public is anyones guess.

>Is this the record company trying to make more money?

You bet! Play it, Say it. No Play, Less Sales.

>What is Anthrax's position on the censorship?

I think they make it pretty damn clear on the liner notes.

>Was this a response to PMRC pressure?

Specifically...No.

Generally...Yes!

rizzi
Read the book *50 Ways to Fight Censorship*
--
"Violence is as American
as cherry pie" - Stokeley Carmichael

...apple!mas1!rizzi ======================================= mas1!ri...@apple.com

Adam Weitzman

Jan 3, 1992, 8:56:14 AM1/3/92
In article <25...@mas1.UUCP> ri...@mas1.UUCP (Perfume of a Critics Burning Flesh) writes:

>ho...@delfin.com (Robert Hood) writes:
>>Anybody know WHY Anthrax released a CENSORED version of Killer B's? Every
>>swear word on the album was masked over by a buzzing sound (bees!)...Why?
>
> Because radio stations need editted (read: censored) versions
> of songs for broadcast in the US. Currently, it is illegal
> to broadcast "indecent" material over the airwaves. Indecent
> includes but is not limited to the words: fuck, shit, piss,
> cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits. The government
> has been cracking down on radio stations more and more over
> the last decade...so record companies are pressing specially
> editted versions for radio stations. Now why they are
> releasing these to the general public is anyones guess.

Is this really true? For instance, I have seen (in used record stores) the
"Sanitized For Your Protection" version of Red Hot Chili Peppers' _Blood_
_Sugar_Sex_Magik_ around, but on the Boston radio station I listen to, they
certainly play the non-edited versions. The "motherfucker"s are plain as
day. So are the ones in "Ain't No Right" by Jane's Addiction, which they've
also played, more than once. On New Year's Day, they were doing a "whole-
album-side" day and they did side 1 of _Ritual_De_Lo_Habitual_, with the
"My sex and my drugs and my rock and roll" interlude intact. Can't think of
any examples other than that, but I'm sure there are more. A couple of
Public Enemy tracks, perhaps? Anyways, it certainly sounds like this
station is flirting with the law, no?

As for "shit," I've heard that all over the place.

The only radio censorship I can think of is when the station I listened to
in Chicago, WXRT, stopped saying "Revolting Cocks" and started saying
"RevCo," with the explanation: "Well, that was RevCo. Well, it wasn't
*really* RevCo, but we can't tell you who it really was anymore without the
FCC crawling all over us, so for the sake of argument, it was RevCo." Go
figure.

Adam J Weitzman "You may ask yourself, 'How do I work this?'" - Talking Heads
weit...@cambridge.oracorp.com "I am not making this up!" - Dave Barry

bill coderre

Jan 3, 1992, 2:17:23 PM1/3/92
weit...@cambridge.oracorp.com (Adam Weitzman) writes, essentially:
"Some radio stations play nasty words and others don't."

Well, the FCC rules are vague, and open to interpretation at the time
of license renewall. If the FCC hears enough complaints, you don't get
a new license. Someone else gets your frequency. You're outta there.
Stations are supposed to "serve the community" and if you seem to be
pissing that community off, well, you're scrooed.

How often does this happen? Well, in some parts of the country, never.
In other parts, there are people who make a hobby of monitoring
college stations hoping to catch violations, which they then harangue
the FCC about. The FCC then has to choose what to do about them.
Sometimes they ignore reports. Sometimes they issue citations,
apocryphally known as "pink tickets" and carrying a stiff fine.
Sometimes they yank licenses.

We Are Not Making This Up.

And you wondered why there are so many religious programming stations
in Dallas, Texas.

Perfume of a Critics Burning Flesh

Jan 3, 1992, 5:50:57 PM1/3/92
Mr. HEINOUS himself, bill coderre writes:
>weit...@cambridge.oracorp.com (Adam Weitzman) writes, essentially:
>"Some radio stations play nasty words and others don't."

>Well, the FCC rules are vague, and open to interpretation at the time
>of license renewall. If the FCC hears enough complaints, you don't get
>a new license. Someone else gets your frequency. You're outta there.
>Stations are supposed to "serve the community" and if you seem to be

Recently, the FCC just issued a "fine schedule" which lists
the exact amount various broadcast violations will cost the
offending station. If memory serves, both an obscenity AND
an indecency violation both result in the same fine; $12,000.

Some of the larger commercial stations have decided that
it is worth the risk of getting fined (and paying the fine
if caught) to play indecent material. This is NOT, however,
for any free speech reason but for the additional listeners
they expect to get for being so "rebellious". Needless to
say, this philosophy is often found on stations whose
demographics cater to an audience where "street cred" is
important. Sad but true.