CHART: UK Top 40 Analysis - Week Ending 28/11/92

James Masterton

Nov 24, 1992, 7:12:01 AM11/24/92
THIS POSTING IS INTENDED TO COMPLEMENT OTHERS
POSTED BY OTHER INDIVIDIALS AND IS NOT A REPLACEMENT

Preamble: The UK charts enter the most exciting period of the year and
the record companies go all out to capture the Christmas market. For the
next few weeks then records will be released to aim for the Christmas
No.1 and this one is no exception. 11 New Entries, 9 Climbers and an
unusual 5 non-movers.

No. 38: NEW ENTRY. Bassheads - Who Can Make Me Feel Good. This is
actually quite a surprise. Bassheads are another faceless dance
entity who have had phenomenal chart success in the past. Their
first hit 'Is there anybody out there' went in at No. 8 almost
exactly a year ago and earlier this year they had a Top Ten hit
with 'Back To The Old School'. As a result for them to enter
this low is a big surprise. It may be due to a distribution
leak or a midweek release which could explain it. It's
performance next week will contain the answers.

No. 36: FALLER. Electroset - How Does It Feel. A new entry last week
which I forgot to mention. A rave track based on the hook line
from New Order's 'Blue Monday' it has been universally reviled
as such by purists and fans alike, despite New Order saying
they like it. It's swift in-and-out performance shows that the
public disagree.

No. 33: NEW ENTRY. Maxi Priest f/Apache Indian - Just Wanna Know. Hard
to believe he was once a MOR lovers rock star really. Maxi
Priest makes yet another bid for credibility with a duet with
the well known ragga toaster. His last few singles have flopped
so he will be pleased with this entry - a far cry from the
summer of 1990 when he had a US No.1 with 'Close To You'

No. 31: NEW ENTRY. Chris Rea - God's Great Banana Skin. Title track of
his latest album. Rea makes a quick followup to 'Nothing To
Fear' which onyl left the Top 40 2 weeks ago. Always a solid
album seller he has minor singles success but the gloomy mood
of his latest crop means he wil have difficulty progressing any
further with this one.

No. 29: NEW ENTRY. Manic Street Preachers - Little Baby Nothing. They
started the year as a group of sub-punk underground rockers.
The transformation into proper stars is complete with this
track, a followup to their Top Ten cover of the Theme from
M*A*S*H. By far their most commercial track ever it will be a
great shame if 'Little Baby Nothing' fails to make the Top Ten
for Christmas. It is one of those records that sounds like a
classic already - one of my favourites of the moment I have to
say.

No. 27: NEW ENTRY. Diana Ross - If We Hold On Together. Hard to believe
fact: The last time Miss Ross had four consecutive Top 30 hits
was back in 1975. The reason for this is her welcome return to
the slushy soul ballads only she can do properly. This will
appeal rather more to the easy listening adult market rather
than the pop market despite the inclusion of her 1986 No.1
'Chain Reaction' on the b-side. it is unlikely to repeat the
success of 'When You Tell Me That You Love Me' which made No.2
for Christmas last year.

No. 26: NEW ENTRY. Jason Donovan - As Time Goes By. There are stranger
covers to make I suppose. Jason Donovan makes his first chart
appearance since the end of his West End run in Joseph and his
amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. Many would raise their eyebrows
at him doing a song such as this but the teen idol carries it
off very well indeed and may well chart high for Christmas. The
motivation for covering the film song this time of year may
well come from the success of Dooley Wilson's original
soundtrack recording making the Christmas chart in 1977. With
Casablanca 50 years old this year it is a timely release as
well. Watch out for Jason's understudy in Joseph, TV star
Phillip Schofield charting in a few weeks with his version of
'Close Every Door'

No. 21: NEW ENTRY. Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine - The Impossible
Dream. Their fans think they are selling out by releasing 4
singles off their album '1992'. A cynically obvious play for
the Christmas market sees the frenetic socially aware rockers
in a seasonal mood. In actual fact this has to be the most
moving record on the charts this week. It's appeal has to be
questioned simply because it has been available on the album
since the start of the year but I would put serious money on
this being Christmas No.1 - the production and sentiments hit
it just right.

No. 20: NEW ENTRY. Kylie Minogue - Celebration. Four years ago one of
the biggest Christmas hits was a duet by former PWL labelmates
Jason Donovan and Kylie Minogue. For the first time since they
both enter the chart in the same week. This is of course due to
the fact that Jason has changed record labels and split from
producers Stock and Waterman and Kylie's cover of the 1980 K C
and the Sunshine Band single is her last with them as well.
Good chart potential for this cover - Kylie has often said it
is her favourite song of all time. One of three new tracks on
her Greatest Hits album I am surprised they released this for
Christmas as the remaining track unreleased as a single in the
Christmassy ballad 'Where In the World'. Watch this go Top Ten
next week anyway.

No. 19: NEW ENTRY. Brian May - Back To The Light. Title track from the
solo album from the former Queen guitarist. The album has not
exactly set the charts on fire and despite the Top Ten success
of the last two singles this may not progress further. His
deceased colleague Freddie Mercury also has a single out in the
next few weeks.

No. 17: NEW ENTRY. Shabba Ranks - Slow and Sexy. Second ever hit for
the most famous reggae toster of them all. His records may not
appeal to all but most agree his success is long overdue after
many years of trying. This may not get any further but is a
worthy followup to 'Mr Loverman' which made the Top 30 back in
the summer.

No. 15: NON-MOVER. Erma Franklin - Take A Little Piece Of My Heart.
This one looks as if it will never go away. The classic soul
track charted after being used in a jeans commerical, made slow
progress up the charts and now for the past few weeks has been
yo-yoing in the 11-15 region. Heaven only knows what is
sustaining its sales but with a track as worthy as this I am
not compaining.

No. 14: NEW ENTRY. Deacon Blue - Your Town. Highest of the week and one
of the highest ever for the Glasgow band. 'You Town' takes them
onto new ground with their normal folky rock being replaced by
a harder edge - even to the extent of recording lead singer
Ricky Ross' vocals through a distory pedal. Only their cover EP
of 4 Bacarach and David songs charted higher in the first week
and this has to be fancied to be Top 5

No. 8: CLIMBER. Guns n' Roses - Yesterday's. Despite what I said last
week they climb to give them their sixth consecutive top ten
hit despite the fact the singel contains no material that has
not been available for over a year. The b-side is even
'November Rain' which made No.4 only last April.

No. 2: CLIMBER. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You. Her first Top
3 hit for five years. Some are speculating it will be No.1 next
week. I still maintain it is not that good a song.

No. 1: NON-MOVER. Charles and Eddie - Would I Lie To You. Britian is
still in love with this song and Miss Houston aside, there is
little to challenge it next week. Expect the next No. 1 to be
one of the records to make the charts in the next few weeks.
Statistically the next two weeks are the best time to release a
record in the hope of getting a Christmas No.1 so the charts
next week will be a frezy of activity.
James Masterton 24/11/92 and with very sore fingers
All comments and questions welcomed

| James Masterton | You don't have a lot |
| hid...@cent1.lancs.ac.uk | But it's more than you've got |
| | And you can turn it into more |
| 'If I knew what I was doing | Than it seems |
| I would not be here' | Jim Steinman, 1989 |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Delbert ( Peter Climie )

Nov 24, 1992, 9:08:53 AM11/24/92
hid...@cent1.lancs.ac.uk (James Masterton) writes:

>No. 36: FALLER. Electroset - How Does It Feel. A new entry last week
> which I forgot to mention. A rave track based on the hook line
> from New Order's 'Blue Monday' it has been universally reviled
> as such by purists and fans alike, despite New Order saying
> they like it. It's swift in-and-out performance shows that the
> public disagree.

The fact that it got in shows that some people who like New Order
do, like Barney, think it's good. (ME!)

>No. 29: NEW ENTRY. Manic Street Preachers - Little Baby Nothing. They
> started the year as a group of sub-punk underground rockers.
> The transformation into proper stars is complete with this
> track, a followup to their Top Ten cover of the Theme from
> M*A*S*H. By far their most commercial track ever it will be a
> great shame if 'Little Baby Nothing' fails to make the Top Ten
> for Christmas. It is one of those records that sounds like a
> classic already - one of my favourites of the moment I have to
> say.

There most commercial ever! MMM! Guest vocals by US porn star, a video
where t-shirts saying "I laughed when John Lennon died" are worn etc.,
Motorcycle emptiness was more commercial and will be the bigger hit, since
this is the 6th single off the LP! But still good!

>No. 26: NEW ENTRY. Jason Donovan - As Time Goes By. There are stranger
> covers to make I suppose. Jason Donovan makes his first chart
> appearance since the end of his West End run in Joseph and his
> amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat.

No! He had a top 40 hit with was it, 'Mission of Love' or something like
that, after Joseph.

>No. 21: NEW ENTRY. Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

> ...... but I would put serious money on

> this being Christmas No.1 - the production and sentiments hit
> it just right.

No chance!

>No. 20: NEW ENTRY. Kylie Minogue - Celebration. Four years ago one of
> the biggest Christmas hits was a duet by former PWL labelmates
> Jason Donovan and Kylie Minogue. For the first time since they
> both enter the chart in the same week. This is of course due to
> the fact that Jason has changed record labels and split from
> producers Stock and Waterman and Kylie's cover of the 1980 K C
> and the Sunshine Band single is her last with them as well.
> Good chart potential for this cover - Kylie has often said it
> is her favourite song of all time. One of three new tracks on
> her Greatest Hits album I am surprised they released this for
> Christmas as the remaining track unreleased as a single in the
> Christmassy ballad 'Where In the World'. Watch this go Top Ten
> next week anyway.

Excellent, and I agree about Where In the World.

>No. 19: NEW ENTRY. Brian May - Back To The Light. Title track from the
> solo album from the former Queen guitarist. The album has not
> exactly set the charts on fire and despite the Top Ten success
> of the last two singles this may not progress further. His
> deceased colleague Freddie Mercury also has a single out in the
> next few weeks.

I would think this is doing well since the hard to get 'Starfleet'
recordings are also included, so it is worth getting for that.

>No. 14: NEW ENTRY. Deacon Blue - Your Town. Highest of the week and one
> of the highest ever for the Glasgow band. 'You Town' takes them
> onto new ground with their normal folky rock being replaced by
> a harder edge - even to the extent of recording lead singer
> Ricky Ross' vocals through a distory pedal.

I think he's doing a Mark E Smith impersonation, not very well.

>No. 2: CLIMBER. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You. Her first Top
> 3 hit for five years. Some are speculating it will be No.1 next
> week. I still maintain it is not that good a song.

Here here.
--
******************************** ___________
* DELBERT aka PETER CLIMIE * /| o /| O CELTIC 1-2 PARTICK THISTLE

Ron Buckmire

Nov 24, 1992, 9:52:18 PM11/24/92
hid...@cent1.lancs.ac.uk (James Masterton) writes:

>No. 2: CLIMBER. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You. Her first Top
> 3 hit for five years. Some are speculating it will be No.1 next
> week. I still maintain it is not that good a song.

I dunno, it is definitely different from most of the stuff out there and it
is pretty thrilling vocally. Sort of scary to think that Dolly Parton wrote
it.

--
RON BUCKMIRE, 11 Colvin Circle, Troy, NY 12180-3735. "D.C. in '93!"
uunet!rpi.edu!buckmr||buc...@rpitsmts.bitnet||buc...@rpi.edu||+1 518 276 8910

Andrew Dawson

Nov 25, 1992, 4:42:32 AM11/25/92
hid...@cent1.lancs.ac.uk (James Masterton) writes:

>No. 36: FALLER. Electroset - How Does It Feel. A new entry last week
> which I forgot to mention. A rave track based on the hook line
> from New Order's 'Blue Monday' it has been universally reviled
> as such by purists and fans alike, despite New Order saying
> they like it.

Interesting aside - New Order's label Factory is now said to be in liquidation.

>No. 20: NEW ENTRY. Kylie Minogue - Celebration.

[...]

> the fact that Jason has changed record labels and split from
> producers Stock and Waterman and Kylie's cover of the 1980 K C
> and the Sunshine Band single is her last with them as well.

Er, Kool & The Gang surely?
--
*+*+*+* Ziggy reports a 99.9% chance that these opinions are personal *+*+*+*
cca...@ucl.ac.uk (reverse for JANET), UUCP: uunet!mcsun!uknet!ucl!ccaaand,

Tim Oldham

Nov 25, 1992, 8:17:10 AM11/25/92
In article <13162.92...@central1.lancaster.ac.uk> hid...@cent1.lancs.ac.uk (James Masterton) writes:
>No. 19: NEW ENTRY. Brian May - Back To The Light.

Bland AOR. May's voice is too weak to carry the material. No personality,
either. When Mercury died, May should have disappeared too.

>No. 14: NEW ENTRY. Deacon Blue - Your Town. Highest of the week and one
> of the highest ever for the Glasgow band. 'You Town' takes them
> onto new ground with their normal folky rock being replaced by
> a harder edge - even to the extent of recording lead singer
> Ricky Ross' vocals through a distory pedal. Only their cover EP
> of 4 Bacarach and David songs charted higher in the first week
> and this has to be fancied to be Top 5

Yes. The fact that Perfecto worked on it is significant. But what is it
actually about?

>No. 2: CLIMBER. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You. Her first Top
> 3 hit for five years. Some are speculating it will be No.1 next
> week. I still maintain it is not that good a song.

No, it's awful. Houston just wants to impress people with her voice;
there's nothing there to hold the attention.

Tim.
--
Tim Oldham, BT Group Computing Services. t...@its.bt.co.uk
``Sounds good to me''