French bands

Frederic Goudal

Mar 7, 1990, 11:14:27 AM3/7/90
Hello,

I would like to know what are the french rock bands known outside
France, so if you know one or more, could you e-mail me,
with the name of the band and your country ???

I'll sumarise the answers (if there's some :-) ).

Thanks in advance.

a ciao.
babbs.

--

gou...@geocub.greco_prog.fr "Why can't we reach the sun?"
oral-mail : babbs Pink Floyd

Gary L Dare

Mar 9, 1990, 12:10:28 PM3/9/90
In article <16...@geocub.greco-prog.fr> babbs wrote:

>I would like to know what are the french rock bands known outside
>France, so if you know one or more, could you e-mail me,
>with the name of the band and your country ???

I'm Canadian, though I live in the US at the moment, so what I know
may be a bit distorted due to border crossings. But here are the
French bands that I've heard of, and in which country:

Band Canada USA

Les Portes Manteaux X France's Clash
Les Rita Mitsouko X X Trash pop
J.J. Goldman X Pop crooner
Pierre Bensusan X New Age guitarist
Suzanne Koch (?) X X Saw video in Canada at Christmas;
interviewed on NPR news in US.
Renaud X France's Springsteen (old Bruce)
Indochine X
Serge Gainesbourg X X
Barbara X
Jacques Brel X X Of course! (Bien sur!)

My main complaint is that a lot of stuff I hear from France is
electro-disco of a bad kind. I don't know how well Quebec rock
is going over on the continent, although hard-rocker Marjo was
set to do a tour over there.

gld
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary L. Dare Trumps Split! (p.1) - NY Post,
> g...@cunixD.cc.columbia.EDU Tyson KO'd! (p.3) Monday
> g...@cunixc.BITNET Mandela Freed! (p.7) Feb.11

dapet...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu

Mar 9, 1990, 9:40:01 PM3/9/90
I don't really follow many French groups, myself, but I DO know that Jacques
Brel IS NOT French. He's actually Belgian! I assume you were referring to
French as in the language...

Jacques Brel is AWESOME! I have a double length tape that I bought when I was
over in Luxembourg. I was really surprised when I got back home and my mom
actually knew who he was!

Debbie Petersen (aka Toothpick!)

---

Mar 9, 1990, 10:13:10 PM3/9/90

>Jacques Brel is AWESOME! I have a double length tape that I bought when I was
>over in Luxembourg. I was really surprised when I got back home and my mom
>actually knew who he was!

Is this the singer whom Albert Brooks was singing along with in Broadcast
News?

-dh
--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
week.

Gary L Dare

Mar 10, 1990, 1:19:43 AM3/10/90
In article <1128.2...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>,

Debbie Petersen (aka Toothpick!) writes:
> I don't really follow many French groups, myself, but I DO know that
> Jacques Brel IS NOT French. He's actually Belgian! I assume you were
> referring to French as in the language...

*Gulp!* I know! A "merde!!" went through my head, and I imagine that
a lot of Belgians out there will be pissed off at me; after all, I'm
the one who flames people when they say that fellow Manitoban Daniel
Lavoie is from "someplace in France" (yeah, like NEW France!). (-;

gld
--

Gary L. Dare Winnipeg Jets: