Sounds of "Seattle Grunge"

Eric Arendts

Oct 13, 1989, 12:52:26 PM10/13/89

A lot of very interesting music is being made up here in this
rainy corner of the U.S. I thought that since I had a little time,
I would let the net know about some of the latest "musical happenings"
from the Seattle area.

There is a "sound" to some of the music being made up here
has become known as "garage grunge". The term was actually coined
to describe the band Green River. Their recordings were produced by
the local label Sub-Pop, which is really cultivating this particular
genere of sound through Seattle bands such as: Mudhoney, Soundgarden,
Nirvana, and others. For a taste of the local scene, I would recommend
'Sub-Pop 200', a compilation released last year by the Sub-Pop label,
or perhaps the earlier Sub-Pop compilation 'Deep Six'.

Records of Note:

Soundgarden : Louder Than Love (A&M)

This LP was just released and is getting a lot of raves. It
is their first major label release, mixing the blues-based rock
similar to Blue Cheer with a street-hardened sensibility. Another
Soundgarden recording to look for is 'Ultramega OK', released earlier
this year on SST.

Mudhoney : Superfuzzbigmuff (Sub-Pop/Glitterhouse)

Fashioned from the remnants of Green River (the rest of the band
evolved into Mother Love Bone), Mudhoney's bent, confrontational
grunge is the keystone of the Seattle sound of the late-80's IMHO.
This release has been enjoying some success on the British Indies
charts lately ( thanks to Pete for posting them ). If you can find
it, check out the 45 "Touch Me I'm Sick".

Mother Love Bone : Shine (Stardog/Polygram)

This band delivers with a variety of influences, punk, funk, and
straight ahead hard rock. Combine this with a sense of humor, an
energetic rhythm section, and psychedelic guitar and you have an
intriguing blend of songs.

Well, I could probably go on for a while, but these particular
acts are really making some waves up here on the local scene. So,
if you have an interest in a difficult to describe 'Ramones-Husker Du-
Old-Iggy-Led Zeppelin-Hendrix' style sound I would recommend giving some
of these bands a listen.

Other Seattle bands to look for:

Nirvana : 'Bleach' (Sub-Pop/Tupelo) Also on the British Indie Charts

Green River : 'Dry As a Bone' & 'Rehab Doll' & 'Come On Down'
on (Sub-Pop) Iggy in a post-acid nightmare???

Swallow : 'Swallow' (Sub-Pop)

Tad : don't know if they've released anything, but are touring with
Soundgarden.

Later, Eric

--
|Eric Arendts | DNS: er...@amc.com |
|Applied Microsystems Corp. | UUCP: uunet!amc-gw!erica |

Here it IS. Again. And it's called

Oct 13, 1989, 3:59:29 PM10/13/89
In article <9...@amc-gw.UUCP> er...@amc-gw.UUCP (Eric Arendts) writes:

I haven't entirely decided what I think of this whole Seattle
"scene". There has been some good music put out, but also a fair
amount of bad music too, and the potential for *really* wretched
stuff is far too high for comfort, especially when the inevitable
immitations start appearing.

> Records of Note:

> Soundgarden : Louder Than Love (A&M)

> This LP was just released and is getting a lot of raves. It
>is their first major label release, mixing the blues-based rock
>similar to Blue Cheer with a street-hardened sensibility. Another
>Soundgarden recording to look for is 'Ultramega OK', released earlier
>this year on SST.

I was rather turned off by the new album. Dumb Sabbath/Zepellin moves
all very well, but I generally like a bit more from what I listen
to. I recently heard *Ultramega OK* which I liked quite a bit
more. They're playing here in Salt Lake tonight, btw, so maybe
they're better live. I certainly hope so, they weren't very good
when I saw them a year ago.

> Nirvana : 'Bleach' (Sub-Pop/Tupelo) Also on the British Indie Charts

This is a great album--somewhat more melodic than you might expect
from Sub-Pop.

> Swallow : 'Swallow' (Sub-Pop)

I didn't like the album very much--too much dumb metal moves, and
not enough attitude.

> Tad : don't know if they've released anything, but are touring with
> Soundgarden.

Not in Salt Lake, they aren't. The Screaming Trees (another
excellent Seattle band w/several albums out on SST) are opening.
In fact, they are the main reason I'm going to the show.

Tad has one album out on Sub-Pop called *God's Balls* and several
singles (as well as at least one song on *Sub-Pop 200*. I haven't
heard the singles, but the album is fantastic.

"You will fall down..."
"How could I dance with another/When I saw him standing there"
--Tiffany
spet...@sunset.utah.edu so...@cc.utah.edu
I don't speak for the University of Utah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Peter Craft

Oct 13, 1989, 4:35:51 PM10/13/89
In article <9...@amc-gw.UUCP>, er...@amc-gw.UUCP (Eric Arendts) writes:

> A lot of very interesting music is being made up here in this
> rainy corner of the U.S. I thought that since I had a little time,
> I would let the net know about some of the latest "musical happenings"
> from the Seattle area.

You're kidding. I left Seattle three years ago because it had the lamest
music seen one could imagine! I couldn't find anything except top-40
cover bands and semi-competent R&B bands.

From Seattle I went to Boston, and then most recently to San Francisco.
I guess I would have to say that I think Boston has the best music
scene of the three, but I haven't fully explored the S.F. scene yet.

I'm glad Seattle has changed but I'm not about to go back. Call me
superficial, but I like the sun too much.

To San Fransicans: Have you heard any bands that you think I should
here?? The best band I've seen yet is 'Capture the Flag'. They're
pretty new I guess, and are not signed. Go check them out though!

Richard Shapiro

Oct 13, 1989, 5:24:23 PM10/13/89
In article <9...@amc-gw.UUCP> er...@amc-gw.UUCP (Eric Arendts) writes:
> Mudhoney : ...

>If you can find it, check out the 45 "Touch Me I'm Sick".

There's another Sub Pop 45 with Sonic Youth doing "Touch Me I'm Sick"
on one side, and Mudhoney doing a SY's "Halloween" on the other.
Worth seeking out (as is the original "Touch Me", which has been
re-issued).

Eric Arendts

Oct 13, 1989, 7:46:55 PM10/13/89
In article <1989Oct13....@hellgate.utah.edu>, speterse%sunset....@cs.utah.edu (Here it IS. Again. And it's called) writes:
> In article <9...@amc-gw.UUCP> er...@amc-gw.UUCP (Eric Arendts) writes:
>
> I haven't entirely decided what I think of this whole Seattle
> "scene". There has been some good music put out, but also a fair
> amount of bad music too, and the potential for *really* wretched
> stuff is far too high for comfort, especially when the inevitable
> immitations start appearing.

Yeah, I agree. There are other bands from the area I enjoy more than
some of the ones I've listed here. I thought I would try to stick to
the Sub-Pop stuff and the "grunge" sound on this posting.

Now for a really excellent band...

> The Screaming Trees (another
> excellent Seattle band w/several albums out on SST) are opening.
> In fact, they are the main reason I'm going to the show.

Actually they're from Ellensburg, WA, a small college/cow town in
Central Wash. Personally, my favorites locally. :-)

The lineup for the Soundgarden show here includes Screaming Trees and
Tad. Hope you enjoy the show in SLC.

Eli Messinger

Oct 15, 1989, 9:55:43 PM10/15/89
I'd also recommend the reissues of the original Northwest grungemasters
The Sonics and The Wailers. Etiquette Records (2442 NW Market St., Suite 273,
Seattle, WA 98107) has rereleased several of their albums including the
Sonics first two LPs and The Wailers "...at the Castle" and "Out of Our
Tree." (Also check out AIP's, "Highs in the Mid-60's Volume 7", featuring
all PNW bands).
--
"The real test of an artist, of course, is not whether you can see each blade
of grass, but whether the eyes follow you across the room." --Stewart Evans

CSNET: e...@ibm.com / UUCP: ...!uunet!ibmarc!ebm / BITNET: e...@almvma.bitnet

Eli Messinger

Oct 15, 1989, 9:58:56 PM10/15/89
speterse%sunset.uta...@cs.utah.edu...

> ... The Screaming Trees (another
> excellent Seattle band w/several albums out on SST)...

Actually The Screaming Trees are from Ellensburg, WA (just over the
Cascades, heading into central WA). They have since relocated to Seattle,
but their early records were recorded in Ellensburg under the production
baton of Steve Fisk. Their music was very much a response to the non-
scene in Ellensburg (at least, that was the initial spin they gave when
they first appeared).

Fred ter Haar

Oct 16, 1989, 5:11:19 AM10/16/89
In article <9...@amc-gw.UUCP> er...@amc-gw.UUCP (Eric Arendts) writes:
> Tad : don't know if they've released anything, but are touring with
> Soundgarden.

... and Tad will be touring in Europe in November together with Nirvana.

fred.

Here it IS. Again. And it's called

Oct 17, 1989, 4:50:49 PM10/17/89
In article <9...@amc-gw.UUCP> er...@amc-gw.UUCP (Eric Arendts) writes:

>> The Screaming Trees (another
>> excellent Seattle band w/several albums out on SST) are opening.
>> In fact, they are the main reason I'm going to the show.

> Actually they're from Ellensburg, WA, a small college/cow town in
> Central Wash. Personally, my favorites locally. :-)

> The lineup for the Soundgarden show here includes Screaming Trees and
> Tad. Hope you enjoy the show in SLC.

I missed Screaming Trees. I had to work until 10pm, and got there
about ten minutes after they went off. The general prognosis was
positive from the people who did see them, however.

Soundgarden however, ROCKED. They came on stage and RULED
everybody's ass for the duration. It was almost just like being
there when you could see Led Zep in a club. The audience went
wild, if they ever become well known in the Teenage Wasteland, they
could very well be absolutely massive. They combine the best
aspects of 70's metal and 80's hardcore and pigfucker music--big
dumb songs with monster riffs about some of the uglier aspects of
sex without the politics or the dippy fantasy elements.

Problem was, they really weren't that good.