What is the 'Mony' chant?

Michael K. Yu

May 18, 1989, 11:06:27 AM5/18/89
In article <33...@sgi.SGI.COM> ji...@echo.SGI.COM (John Eisenman) writes:
>In article <8...@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, da...@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (daniel.r.levy) writes:
> [stuff about newspaper article and "Mony Mony" deleted]
>
>It goes something like:
>
> Thats right, get stoned, get drunk, get fucked.

I believe the line is "Hey, get laid, get fucked" but I'm sure there are
variations wherever you go. In working as a DJ, and at parties back home, if
the volume was turned down this was how the words went. Just incase anyone
was really thaat curious...

-mike

Michael K. Yu || InterNet: mikeyu@{eleazar,northstar}.Dartmouth.EDU
Hinman Box 3525 || UUCP: ...!{harvard,linus,inhp4}!dartvax!eleazar!mikeyu
Dartmouth College || =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Hanover, NH 03755 || "Men of few words are the best men." -W. Shakespeare

John Eisenman

May 18, 1989, 3:36:12 AM5/18/89
In article <8...@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, da...@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (daniel.r.levy) writes:
In the last few weeks, there have been a few articles in the Chicago Tribune
by the (some say smarmy) Tempo columnist Bob Greene, talking about a popular
obscene chant which is chanted by youngsters during the song "Mony Mony" (but
of course he can't/won't print it in the newspaper). Well I guess I must be
leading an awfully sheltered life because I've never heard it. Can anyone
tell me about it (if it's REALLY raunchy, send me email). Not only the words,
but any idea about how (why, and when) it arose? Is it chanted to the tune of
the song? 'Scuse the dumb questions, but please satisfy my curiosity... TIA.
--
Dan'l Levy UNIX(R) mail: att!ttbcad!levy, att!cbnewsc!danl
AT&T Bell Laboratories

---------------------------

I cannot answere the question in full, but I have heard this chant at certain
college parties in Boston (aprox. 1-1.5 yrs ago). It is not really chanted
to the tune of the song. Instead, it occurs between the verses in the
heavily percussive passages of the Billy Idol version.

It goes something like:

Thats right, get stoned, get drunk, get fucked.

Or something like that; I never stopped anyone to asked them exactly what
they were saying.

--
John Eisenman (jice)
phone x8-3001

lnk1...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

May 20, 1989, 1:06:00 PM5/20/89

>In article <33...@sgi.SGI.COM> ji...@echo.SGI.COM (John Eisenman) writes:
>>In article <8...@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, da...@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (daniel.r.levy) writes:
>> [stuff about newspaper article and "Mony Mony" deleted]
>>
>>It goes something like:
>>
>> Thats right, get stoned, get drunk, get fucked.
>
>I believe the line is "Hey, get laid, get fucked"

Down here at the Univ. of Illinois (most likely where Greene's variation of
the chant came from), it's chanted during the short guitar break in between
lines of the song (not the chorus), like so...

song : Here she comes now singing mony mony...

1/2 of crowd: Hey!
other 1/2 : Hey What?!?
first 1/2 : Get laid!
all : Get fucked!

[the above is usually screamed at the top of one's lungs,
usually at your date if you're both wasted... ]

song : da de dum now come on mony...
...and so on

Each syllable is on a beat in the song (4/4 time), since the break is 2 bars
the chant only takes up counts 1-7, the 8th is silent and the next verse picks
up on the next count. I really have no idea where it came from, I've been
hearing people sing it for at least 2 years now. Probably just a drunk guy
making up his own lyrics to the song (you should hear how people mangle
'American Pie' down here at the bars...)
It happens every time the song plays, and I really don't see what
the fuss is over. Maybe it's because I haven't read the column.
Personally I despise Bob Greene. If you want to see something really funny
check the article on him in the December 1988 issue of Spy Magazine
('It's Not Easy Being Greene', p.112). It's a riot.

Louis Koziarz
University of Illinois Champaign Urbana
lnk1...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu or dal...@igloo.scum.com

Scott Sackett

May 22, 1989, 8:29:03 AM5/22/89

>Down here at the Univ. of Illinois (most likely where Greene's variation of
>the chant came from), it's chanted during the short guitar break in between
>lines of the song (not the chorus), like so...
>
>song : Here she comes now singing mony mony...
>
>1/2 of crowd: Hey!
>other 1/2 : Hey What?!?
>first 1/2 : Get laid!
>all : Get fucked!

When I DJ for a local DJ service we use the folling lines:

Get a gun shoot a duck.
Get a loan buy a truck.

Along with the line Hey what get laid get fucked.

Scotty

jayjoh...@gmail.com

May 4, 2018, 4:38:18 PM5/4/18
Hey motherfucker get laid get fucked