Feelies info ===>> Read it!

Teddie James

Aug 12, 1992, 9:01:06 AM8/12/92
No, the Feelies aren't back together. However, I just heard yesterday
about a new band called Luna or Luna(2). It's got Stan Demeski of the
Feelies,a former member of the Chills, and a former member of
Galaxie 500. I don't remember the other two names.

The guy at my local record store told me about this. He received a
notice from Enigma, I think. Anyway, the new album should be out this
month.

Anybody have any more Feelies news?

TEDDIE JAMES
Intergraph Corporation
Huntsville, AL
205-730-8065
ja...@raveup.b24a.ingr.com
uunet!ingr!b24a!raveup!james
____________________________
--------------------------

Doug R. Chapman

Aug 12, 1992, 4:04:13 PM8/12/92
ja...@raveup.b24a.ingr.com (Teddie James) writes:

>No, the Feelies aren't back together. However, I just heard yesterday
>about a new band called Luna or Luna(2). It's got Stan Demeski of the
>Feelies,a former member of the Chills, and a former member of
>Galaxie 500. I don't remember the other two names.

The former member of Galaxie 500 is Dean Whearam.

--
Doug Chapman
KSDB 91.9 Manhattan, KS.

Jim Zappia

Aug 12, 1992, 5:21:53 PM8/12/92

>Anybody have any more Feelies news?
> > --------------------------

Other than the band Speed the Plough being produced by a member
of the Feelies I can't add anything at this time.

- Jim

Teddie James

Aug 13, 1992, 9:34:14 AM8/13/92

Yes, Bill Million produced the first Speed the Plough album. He also
played percussion and E-bow guitar. He also produced the second album
and played guitar. Also, Brenda Sauter played bass and sang, and Stan
Demeski played drums and percussion. Both are excellent folk albums.
Don't buy them expecting to hear the Feelies sound.

Check out Yung Wu. This is basically the Feelies but with Dave Weckman
on vocals. I guess they wanted to give their percussionist a chance to
sing.

I've put together a Feelies discography that I can post if anyone is
interested.

David Hudson

Aug 13, 1992, 4:02:29 PM8/13/92
In article <1992Aug13....@infonode.ingr.com> ja...@raveup.b24a.ingr.com (Teddie James) writes:

[Deleted Text]

>I've put together a Feelies discography that I can post if anyone is
>interested.

I am very interested in a discography and any information of where I
can get the Yung Wu and the Trypes stuff.

Dave

Ben

Aug 13, 1992, 10:45:20 PM8/13/92

The band is Luna, there's a CD or CD-EP or something coming out on some major-- I think Elektra-- and they've already done a single, sometimes labeled "Dean Wareham," on No. 6 records. It's got a bright yellow sleeve and two OK songs, and Stanley Demeski does not play drums on it. The guy from G500 is, obviously by now, Dean Wareham, who plays guitar. The guy from the Chills is Justin Harwood, who plays bass. There's a very long, very interesting interview with
Dean W and Justin H (but not Stanley D) in a zine called Non-Stop Diatribe,
which is I think available from Parasol, Cargo, and other indie-rock mail-
order venues, though not Ajax. It's worth reading and also includes a
complete Go-Betweens discography and a Hamish Kilgour interview.

steve burt from WHRB
b...@athena.mit.edu

Teddie James

Aug 14, 1992, 10:23:23 AM8/14/92
In article <1992Aug14.0...@athena.mit.edu>, b...@athena.mit.edu (Ben) writes:

|> The band is Luna, there's a CD or CD-EP or something coming out on some major-- I think Elektra-- and they've already done a single, sometimes labeled "Dean Wareham," on No. 6 records. It's got a bright yellow sleeve and two OK songs, and Stanley Demesk|> i does not play drums on it. The guy from G500 is, obviously by now, Dean Wareham, who plays guitar. The guy from the Chills is Justin Harwood, who plays bass. There's a very long, very interesting interview with
|> Dean W and Justin H (but not Stanley D) in a zine called Non-Stop Diatribe,

That's funny. I saw a postcard from the record label that announced the new
band. It had a picture of all three members including Stan Demeski. I don't
know why he wasn't included in the article. I doubt that the record label
stuck him in the picture just to sell records.

Any idea where I can pick up a copy of this magazine? I'm almost certain
that I can't find it here in conservative HuntsVegas.

Teddie James

Aug 14, 1992, 11:08:16 AM8/14/92
I posted this yesterday, but there seems to be more interest. So here
it is again. If you see anything wrong here or have anything to add,
please let me know.

To David Hudson,

I tried to mail this to you, but it bounced.

At the end of this message is an address for a store in NJ where I found
Yung Wu and Speed the Plough.

Enjoy!

Teddie

FEELIES - "Crazy Rhythms" CD (A & M) 1980/1990

The 1990 re-release includes "Paint It Black" (Rolling Stones). The 1980
release does not.

Anton Fier plays drums.
FEELIES - "The Good Earth" CD (Coyote/Twin Tone) 1986
FEELIES - "No One Knows" EP (Coyote/Twin Tone) 1986

Cuts include:

No One Knows, Dancing Barefoot (Patti Smith), and others.
FEELIES - "Only Life" CD (A & M) 1988
FEELIES - "Higher Ground" EP (A & M) 1989 PROMO CD

Cuts include:

Higher Ground, Egyptian Reggae (live Jonathon Richman song), and
Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey (live Beatles song).
FEELIES - "Time For A Witness" CD (A & M) 1991
SPEED THE PLOUGH - "Speed The Plough" LP (Coyote/Twin Tone) 1988

John Baumgartner: Vocals, keyboard, accordian, percussion
Toni Paruta: Vocal, flute, sax, clarinet, recorder
Marc Francia: Guitars, vocals, drums
Pete Pedulla: Bass, trumpet, vocals
Jim DeRogatis: Drums, percussion, conga
Bill Million: Percussion, E-bow guitar (whatever that is)
Lois DiLivio: Violin

Produced by Bill Million

The sticker on the album jacket says: Contains members of Trypes, Yung Wu,
Ex-Lion Tamers. I've never heard of Ex-Lion Tamers. I'll have to check on
them.
SPEED THE PLOUGH - "Wonder Wheel" LP (East Side Digital) 1991 CD

John Baumgartner: Keyboards, vocals, percussion
Marc Francia: Guitars, percussion
Toni Baumgartner (I believe the former Toni Paruta): Woodwinds, vocals
Frank O'Toole: Guitars
Brenda Sauter: Bass, vocals
Stanley Demeski: Drums, percussion
Bill Million: Guitars
Michael Lipton: Electric and steel guitars
Tony Trishka: Banjo

Produced by Bill Million
Glenn Mercer did not appear on this, though he is given credit for the use
of his guitars.
TRYPES - "Explorers Hold" EP (Coyote/Twin Tone) 1987

I don't have this one. A friend of mine recorded some of the songs from
this EP. I think the Trypes were mostly a cover band (in Feelies
tradition). I'm not sure who plays on the EP, but it sounds just like any
other Feelies album with Glenn/Bill singing and using the overdriven guitars.
YUNG WU - "Shore Leave" LP (Coyote/Twin Tone) 1987

Dave Weckerman: Vocals
John Baumgartner: Keyboard
Bill Million: Guitar, vocals, etc.
Glenn Mercer: Guitar, vocals, etc.
Brenda Sauter: Bass
Stanley Demeski: Drums, percussion

This is basically the Feelies. All songs were written by Dave Weckerman
except Child of the Moon (Jagger/Richards) and Powderfinger (Neil Young).
I guess that they decided to let their percussionist stand in the
spotlight.
Theres also a 3 song Feelies EP on vinyl and CD that has the same tracks
minus 1 that are on the "Higher Ground" Promo CD- I believe it was a
normal release in Europe (UK only maybe).

As I said before, the Trypes come closest to the classic Feelies sound.

Even though Yung Wu is the Feelies, don't expect them to have the Feelies
sound. For this one, they changed their sound almost completely. Yung Wu
still played all rhythm-based songs, but with Dave Weckerman on vocals,
it's a different sound.

Don't expect any similarity at all between Speed the Plough and the
Feelies. Speed the Plough has much more complex instrumentation and a more
folkish sound. The tend to lean more toward traditional instruments and
sounds.

As far as a favorite of the three, it's really difficult to judge. They
all have different sounds. I would say that Speed the Plough has the most
original sound, though.

I found Yung Wu and the first Speed the Plough at:

Pier Platters
56 Newark St.
Hoboken, NJ 07030

(201) 795-4785 (Record store)
(201) 795-9015 (CD store)

I paid by VISA, and got my order in two days. They charge $4.00 for
shipping.