Neil Peart Drumkit For Sale

SKsystem

Apr 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/28/98

Tama Superstar 15 piece setup with cases, Zildjian cymbals. Everything in
terrific coindition though the set is from 1980. I am asking $5000 or best
offer. This set includes a customized snare - 5.5x14, 22" gong bass drum and
all Tama hardware.

Jason

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences trying to rent
self storage space in order practice acoustically. My first concern
would be protection of my drums/cymbals from severe heat and cold (I
live in Ohio). Are the rooms well insulated? Could my drums/cymbals
get hurt sitting in there? Do these places even let drummers/bands
practice there? Do they have electrical outlets? Cost?
As you can see I am totally clueless so any help would be greatly
appreciated!
Thanks!

Jason Schurtz

MATT

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

Here in southeast Michigan there are a bunch of bands that rent those
out. I believe the storage companies advertise heated rooms, there is
also a guard on duty at the gate 24hrs so security should be good. We
rent a loft in an unused warehouse.

--
MATT

Opinions expressed are my own and in no
way represent those of Ford Motor Company.

Heyo

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

Where in southeast Michigan do you live? I live in southeast Michigan too.

MATT <rha...@mailhost.pd2.ford.com> wrote in article
<35473C...@mailhost.pd2.ford.com>...

Jim Fleck

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

It sounds as though many of the questions you have asked would be best
answered by a storage unit company, not just because they would be the
best source of info, but also because their policies and units may not
be consistent across the industry.

However, I'm pretty sure that the "climate controlled" or "heated"
designation refers to the policy of many units to maintain a level of
heat sufficient to eliminate the risk of water/condensation/moisture
damage. Is seems to me that one outfit I used several years ago
maintained this temperature at around 40 degrees F. Not warm, but warm
enough for purposes. I think this is high enough to protect drums, but
I'm not sure. So perhaps someone else will chip in with an opinion
here.

Also, several items I've come across have noted that relatively warm
or relatively cool (note the "relatively") conditions are not as
damaging to drums as a rapid change from one to another -- such as
drums going from a very warm car on a hot day to a well
air-conditioned venue, or from an unheated car in winter to a very
warm venue, a temperature difference which could approach 40 or 50
degrees. In a storage unit with a constant temperature, this would be
less of a problem.

But again, let's hope someone more knowledgeable joins in.

MoeLarryCu

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

>However, I'm pretty sure that the "climate controlled" or "heated"
>designation refers to the policy of many units to maintain a level of
>heat sufficient to eliminate the risk of water/condensation/moisture
>damage. Is seems to me that one outfit I used several years ago
>maintained this temperature at around 40 degrees F. Not warm, but warm
>enough for purposes. I think this is high enough to protect drums, but
>I'm not sure. So perhaps someone else will chip in with an opinion
>here.
>
> Also, several items I've come across have noted that relatively warm
>or relatively cool (note the "relatively") conditions are not as
>damaging to drums as a rapid change from one to another -- such as
>drums going from a very warm car on a hot day to a well
>air-conditioned venue, or from an unheated car in winter to a very
>warm venue, a temperature difference which could approach 40 or 50
>degrees. In a storage unit with a constant temperature, this would be
>less of a problem.
>
>But again, let's hope someone more knowledgeable joins in.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm more knowledgeable but I've probably screwed things up
a lot more than most people on this list! As your correctly stated, it is the
abrupt temp changes that can really beat a drum up. Extreme heat, cold,
moisture or dryness also can affect a drum. My friend who makes me nice snare
drums keeps telling me that the wood is still alive until you get dry rot. I'm
not sure exactly what he means but he has warned me about leaving equipment in
a trunk. The drastic temp changes will really f@#$%^ up your stuff quick. It
will either cause the laminate to bubble, the lacquer to check or the most
dreaded of all is your drums going out of round. This is the MOST common
difficulty in addition to bad bearing edges found when you've got a drum that
is impossible to tune.

Mark
Mark Greenberg
I can't think of anything clever at the moment.

shan

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

Jason and everyone,

There are a lot of storage places that won't let bands play at, but
keep trying and you'll eventually find something.

My band rents out a Storage USA 15'x25' unit in Phoenix, and we've
practiced through summer afternoons (absolutely f**king hot), and
winter nights (freezing cold and occasionally wet), and I play on a
Premier XPK 5-piece with Remo and Evans G2 heads, Paiste signatures &
sound formulas, and Zildjian A custom cymbals. My kit's worth just
over $2000.00, and I totally trust a non-airconditioned unit. I cover
my drums with a heavy blanket and they haven't expanded or contracted
with the weather to the point where noticable permanent damage has
occured. I think you are safe to rent out a non-airconditioned unit
(if you were going to) just as long as you cover your drums after you
play them - it keeps moisture and dirt/dust off of them.

Airconditioned units are pretty expensive. Our Non-airconditioned
unit (which can easily fit 5 musicians and their equipment, a
recording desk, chairs and tables in) costs us $260.00 a month between
currently 4 of us - $65.00 a month each.

Security is good. The entire storage facility has a high-gate with
barbed wire around it and a security gate at the entrance where you
enter a code to enter. We bought the toughest locks available (ones
you can't cut with bolt-cutters), so our stuff is uninsured but it's
still pretty safe. There is someone on site 24 hours so I doubt our
stuff will get stolen.

There is an electrical outlet right outside on the wall of our unit,
and we plug everything into that. Otherwise we could buy those
electrical outlet-to-light-bulb-fitting adapter thingies and plug
everything into a spare light bulb fixture, but I recommend against
that because they aren't grounded, and you could get seriously fucked
up if you weren't careful. Make sure you get a safe, grounded
electrical outlet with your unit if you do so.

We don't sound-proof our unit, and the walls are metal sheets and
bricks so the overall sound is very 'tinny' and hard on the ears. We
wear earplugs and record ourselves and the recordings come out nicely.
I would imagine if we took the time to cover the metal walls things
would sound better, but just for practice it does the job.. and the
owner lets all the bands in the place (yes, there's a few!) crank it
up all day. We have to keep it down if someone beside us wants to
open their unit or is too close so that the noise gets too much for
them, that was the agreement.

Hope I helped maybe a little,

sh...@syspac.com
May the force be with you.

Robert E Beatty Jr.

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

MoeLarryCu wrote in message
<199804300056...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

>Well, I wouldn't say I'm more knowledgeable but I've probably screwed
things up
>a lot more than most people on this list! As your correctly stated, it is
the
>abrupt temp changes that can really beat a drum up. Extreme heat, cold,
>moisture or dryness also can affect a drum. My friend who makes me nice
snare
>drums keeps telling me that the wood is still alive until you get dry rot.
I'm
>not sure exactly what he means but he has warned me about leaving equipment
in
>a trunk. The drastic temp changes will really f@#$%^ up your stuff quick.
It
>will either cause the laminate to bubble, the lacquer to check or the most
>dreaded of all is your drums going out of round. This is the MOST common
>difficulty in addition to bad bearing edges found when you've got a drum
that
>is impossible to tune.
>
>Mark
>Mark Greenberg
>I can't think of anything clever at the moment.

As a conguero I have been working with two or three drums most of the time
and I tune them down if I know they are going to see significant temperature
or humidity changes. Of course y'all have more drums and probably wouldn't
want to do this, also your plastic heads don't change as much as skin heads.

Otherwise the right type bags or cases can be used as insulation to slow
down the rapidity of environmental change.

The original poster said he lived in OH, as do I, and should be able to find
a relatively cheap rehearsal space. Ask local bands or musicians if you can
work out some kind of sharing arrangement. Who knows it could lead to a gig.

Bright Moments,
Robert E Beatty Jr.
Robert...@worldnet.att.net

MATT

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98
to Heyo

I live in the Detroit area, Burbs to be exact.