Best Female Guitarists

STRATQUEEN

Oct 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/18/97

I've been talking to a lot of people lately about female guitarists, and I'm
wondering who you consider to be the best. I've been a fan of Bonnie Raitt
and Melissa Etheridge for a long time. Lately I've heard a lot about Rory
Block, Kelly Jo Phelps, and now this "Debbie Davies". Anybody care to add
anyone else? (I don't care what kind of music it is.)

I'm also wondering if Sheryl Crowe can really play, or whether her guitar is
just a prop. I'm still ticked off that she beat out Bonnie for the Grammy last
spring.

Sharon
STRATQUEEN
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.

http://members.aol.com/stratqueen/index.html

Andrew P. Mullhaupt

Oct 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/18/97

STRATQUEEN wrote:

> I've been talking to a lot of people lately about female guitarists, and I'm
> wondering who you consider to be the best.

As far as I know, Bonnie Raitt takes the slide category hands down,
and plays slide better than most guys.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

Don Mitchell

Oct 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/18/97
to STRATQUEEN

I didn't even have to ponder this one for a second; her name is always
on my lips when the subject of my favorite guitarists comes up: Emily
Remler. Unfortunately she is no longer making music because a few years
ago she OD'd on heroin, but while she was alive... My favorite
recording of hers was "East to Wes". Killer versions of Daahoud and Hot
House. She did about five or six albums on Concord label and had just
put on in the can for Justice records when she died, so that one was
released posthumously. I noticed someone else mentioned videos in
relation to female guitarists. Emily did 2 instructional videos for Hot
Licks--one on swing and jazz improv and another on Latin jazz and
advanced improv--which were very influencial on my early development in
the study of jazz guitar.
Another female guitarist that I've heard very good things about, but
sadly I haven't been able to find any of her recordings, is Muriel
Andersen. She's a nylon string solo player who, I believe has studied
with both Parkening and Chet Atkins. She also has an instructional
video out now.
Leni Stern (married to Mike Stern) is a good player, although not
anywhere in the league of Emily for my money...but then again, she's
alive. (Ouch! Is that a left-handed compliment? Sorry.)
I hope to hear many more fine female guitarists in the future.
Don

William G. Sacks

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

STRATQUEEN (strat...@aol.com) wrote:
: Block, Kelly Jo Phelps, and now this "Debbie Davies". Anybody care to add

: anyone else? (I don't care what kind of music it is.)

I have two favorites among current working musicians:

Sharon Isbin is one of the finest classical guitarists currently
recording, and she has adventurous taste in material- one album in
particular, "American Landscapes," has some relatively unknown 20th c.
pieces which are worth hearing. To my ear she has a fairly light
touch which results in very clean arpeggiation.
Then there's Badi (Bah-Gee) Assad, who also plays a nylon string,
but in a very different style: a strange fusion of Brazillian, flamenco,
tango and mainstream jazz which is very unique and totally compelling.
Like her older brothers Sergio and Odair (who mainly record classical
guitar albums as a duo), she has a very powerful style with percussive
comping and sharply picked lines. She made three albums to my knowledge,
and each has been better than the last.

Carlginger

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

>Subject: Best Female Guitarists
>From: strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN)
>Date: Sat, Oct 18, 1997 19:17 EDT

>I've been talking to a lot of people lately about female guitarists, and I'm
> wondering who you consider to be the best. I've been a fan of Bonnie Raitt
> and Melissa Etheridge for a long time. Lately I've heard a lot about Rory
> Block, Kelly Jo Phelps, and now this "Debbie Davies". Anybody care to add
> anyone else? (I don't care what kind of music it is.)
>
>I'm also wondering if Sheryl Crowe can really play, or whether her guitar is
> just a prop. I'm still ticked off that she beat out Bonnie for the Grammy
>last
> spring.
>
>Sharon
>STRATQUEEN

You know, out of all my vidio tapes, none feature females.....
Well, some of them do...... but they're not playing guitar.

Carl

STRATQUEEN

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

Jguy wrote:

>I think Ani Defranco is pretty happenin'. Not saying she's the best, but then
again what's that? All depends on your criteria.
Also like the girl w/Natalie Merchant. Rather tasty player.>

I'm not really familar with Ani's work, but Liz has mentioned her a few times
lately; I'll have to check it out. And yeah, I forgot about the one with
Natalie Merchant; she does some fine work. And you're right, everyone has
different criteria to define "the best"....we've seen that proven here enough
in threads about the male guitarists. I'm just trying to gain a broad
exposure to all these other artists (no pun intended).

Stevie (still Politically Incorrect) Sharon

STRATQUEEN

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

Carl wrote:

>You know, out of all my vidio tapes, none feature females.....
>Well, some of them do...... but they're not playing guitar.

Carl, does that mean you don't consider there to be any good enough to tape, or
that you simply realized you don't have any female leads on tape? I'm not
ragging on you, just curious.

Phantom Post

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

In article <19971018231...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN) wrote:
>I've been talking to a lot of people lately about female guitarists, and I'm
> wondering who you consider to be the best. I've been a fan of Bonnie Raitt
> and Melissa Etheridge for a long time. Lately I've heard a lot about Rory
> Block, Kelly Jo Phelps, and now this "Debbie Davies". Anybody care to add
> anyone else? (I don't care what kind of music it is.)
ing.

>Sharon
>STRATQUEEN

I read a piece that said Meredith Brooks (the "I'm a bitch, I'm a lover" song)
did all the guitar work on her album. Don't know much 'cept for hearin' the
hit on the radio.

PAT
===================================
Phantom Post Productions
Guitars/Synths/MIDI Composition
===================================
Email ;-) put "patrickt" in place of "nospam"

Carlginger

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

>Subject: Re: Best Female Guitarists
>From: strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN)
>Date: Sun, Oct 19, 1997 00:25 EDT

>Carl wrote:
>>
>>You know, out of all my vidio tapes, none feature females.....
>>Well, some of them do...... but they're not playing guitar.
>>
>Carl, does that mean you don't consider there to be any good enough to tape,
>or
> that you simply realized you don't have any female leads on tape? I'm not
> ragging on you, just curious.
>
>Sharon
>STRATQUEEN

I just don't have any. I'd like to get something with Debbi Davies
or a female blues player.

Carl

Steve-guitar man

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

Are there even any?!........

Carlginger

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

>Subject: Re: Best Female Guitarists
>From: strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN)
>Date: Sun, Oct 19, 1997 00:25 EDT
>
>Carl wrote:
>>
>>You know, out of all my vidio tapes, none feature females.....
>>Well, some of them do...... but they're not playing guitar.
>>
>Carl, does that mean you don't consider there to be any good enough to tape,
>or
> that you simply realized you don't have any female leads on tape? I'm not
> ragging on you, just curious.
>
>Sharon
>STRATQUEEN

Who was the female from about a year ago that played a PRS
thu a Marshall with some Fulltone pedals? I forgot her name.

Carl

Dan Stanley

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

I would guess it is the woman who plays with Natalie Merchant. My wife
loves that record ("Tigerlily"), and I love to hear the guitar playing on
it.

Dan
--
Send me your tired, your hungry, your spam...
- joyce...@oates.com

Nothing is better, nothing is best
Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest.
-Bob Dylan

reply to stanley1 "at" tiac "dot" net

elizabeth & chris

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

STRATQUEEN wrote:

> I'm not really familar with Ani's work, but Liz has mentioned her a few times
> lately;

Nope, not me. I think Speck and Phil did. I've never actually heard
any of her work.(shame on me!). Actually, the only female guitarist
that I even listen to is Sara Lee, who isn't even a guitar player caus'
she plays bass. I like Bonnie and Melissa, but that just isn't what I
listen to. It's kind of scarey, because I should be supporting any
female showing of guitar playing at all, but for the most part women who
get any ammount of exposure can (at most) play a few chords, move a capo
around, and look cute holding a guitar. It's a little (hah!) bit of a
double standard. Just like anything these days though, you probably
just have to dig a little deeper to find the good stuff, and I haven't
really done that yet.

Someone a few (quite a few) months ago asked all the women on RMMG what
it was like to be a female guitar player. I think two other women
responded. When we went to Tampa to see Bobby D. we went to Thourobred
Music. Chris was asking one of the sales guys a few questions about
some effects, and he asks Chris what he plays. "Bass", says Chris.
Salesman to me, "So, are you the singer?" Me, "NOOOOO, I'm the GUITAR
player." Two days later we go to another music store. They just moved
to a location right around the corner from Chris's office. We walk in,
the guy introduces himself to Chris, shakes his hand. I am ignored. I
finally introduce myself, saying, "I'm the guitar player, not the
singer, not just the girlfriend, not the keyboard player. Got it?"

Yeah, I'm pretty good, for a girl. :)

ESB

STRATQUEEN

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

Elizabeth wrote:

>>It's kind of scarey, because I should be supporting any female showing of
guitar playing at all, but for the most part women who get any ammount of
exposure can (at most) play a few chords, move a capo around, and look cute
holding a guitar. It's a little (hah!) bit of a double standard. Just like
anything these days though, you probably just have to dig a little deeper to
find the good stuff, and I haven't really done that yet.>>

I totally agree with you, and that's my beef about Sheryl Crowe. She can't
hold a candle to Bonnie. So....while I'm picking Carl's brain about Phil
Sayce and Michael Landau, I'm trying to find new female artists as well.

>>I finally introduce myself, saying, "I'm the guitar player, not the
singer, not just the girlfriend, not the keyboard player. Got it?">>

Liz, in addition to our gender, maybe your lack of height has something to do
with it. The first time I went to our BIG guitar store here, I was with my
bandmates and I got lots of leers from others in the store, and comments such
as... "Wow, look at that Amazon!" I'm sure they thought I was "with" one of
the guys in the band. The staff fell all over the guys with me, but *I* was
the one there looking for a guitar and other gear! I finally went to the
manager, pulled a wad of cash out of my wallet, leaned way over the counter
towards him and said to him in my best Clint Eastwood voice: "I just lost ALL
my gear in a fire. I need a guitar NOW. Do these $$$ make me worthy of your
attention, or should I spend my money elsewhere?" Well, while my bandmates
were rolling on the floor laughing in the corner, the poor manager's legs
buckled a little and then he apologized to me and spent quite a while helping
me pick out some new equipment. Now when I go in that store, the little
salesmen usually hop right up on the step stool and say..... "Ma'am, can I
help you?" Sometimes we female artists have to be a little more assertive to
be taken seriously.

Andrew P. Mullhaupt

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

STRATQUEEN wrote:

> "Ma'am, can I
> help you?" Sometimes we female artists have to be a little more assertive to
> be taken seriously.

It might be getting better in spots. My wife was treated quite well
at the Huntington Sam Ash without having to make a fuss, and before
they knew she was serious about guitar. I guess it comes down to the
personality of the specific salesman in question.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

Matthew Ivaliotes

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

Dan Stanley <m...@dwell.tone> wrote in article <344A2A...@dwell.tone>...

> Carlginger wrote:
> > Who was the female from about a year ago that played a PRS
> > thu a Marshall with some Fulltone pedals? I forgot her name.
> > Carl
> I would guess it is the woman who plays with Natalie Merchant. My wife
> loves that record ("Tigerlily"), and I love to hear the guitar playing on

> it.

That would be Jennifer Turner, although I could have swore she plays
through a Matchless.

Matt I.

Matthew Ivaliotes

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

Jennifer Turner is one of my heroes. She grooves, she rocks, she does
subtle, she does powerful. I dig.

Sue Foley is also a pretty darn good blues Tele player.

Matt I.

Ash

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

In article <19971019151...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
strat...@aol.com says...

> Elizabeth wrote:
>
> >>It's kind of scarey, because I should be supporting any female showing of
> guitar playing at all, but for the most part women who get any ammount of
> exposure can (at most) play a few chords, move a capo around, and look cute
> holding a guitar. It's a little (hah!) bit of a double standard.

Are you sure about that? How about that Gavin guy in Bush? or many of
the new alterna-teen-cover-boys? Hell, there are plenty of butt-ugly old
blues guys who could squash Kenny Wayne and Johnny Lang with one note,
but those old guys aren't as cute as KWS and JL with their purty long
blonde hair and high cheekbones! :)

> (STRATQUEEN wrote this:)

> I totally agree with you, and that's my beef about Sheryl Crowe. She can't
> hold a candle to Bonnie

Except that Sheryl writes most (many? some?) of her own songs. And she's
got lead guys backing her up who play just fine. Its the songs that sell
records to the masses, not guitar prowess. And yeah, she's a cutey and
that doesn't hurt.

--
((((Ash))))
a...@mail.org

Carlginger

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

>Subject: Re: Best Female Guitarists
>From: "Matthew Ivaliotes" <no...@nospam.me>
>Date: Sun, Oct 19, 1997 12:49 EDT

Thebest female I ever heard on wailing rock guitar was
April Lawton from
Ramatam which featured Mitch Mitchell on drums and
some Iron Butterfly guy.
There was talk that she was a sex change back then,
probably because she could wipe the floor with a lot of
players from the time period.

Carl

Ron Long

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

Summer of '70 or so <scratching bald spot, hoping to improve memory> I
attended a "Rock Festival" at Pocono Speedway. One of the acts was
Mitch Mitchell's short-lived band Ramatan. The guitar player was a
woman, April Lawton (as I recall), and she absolutely KICKED ASS. Does
anybody know what's happened to her?

Ron

Phantom Post

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

>Are you sure about that? How about that Gavin guy in Bush? or many of
>the new alterna-teen-cover-boys? Hell, there are plenty of butt-ugly old
>blues guys who could squash Kenny Wayne and Johnny Lang with one note,
>but those old guys aren't as cute as KWS and JL with their purty long
>blonde hair and high cheekbones! :)

We are indeed in a era where there is a market for male bimbos. At last,
guys, we've achieved equality!

>Except that Sheryl writes most (many? some?) of her own songs. And she's
>got lead guys backing her up who play just fine. Its the songs that sell
>records to the masses, not guitar prowess. And yeah, she's a cutey and
>that doesn't hurt.

Yep. Especially the part about songs.

Mick Lord

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

What about Nancy Wilson of Heart...? It goes back a few years (yeah, I
know. They are still around. But it's not the same) but she used to do
some amazing stuff, acoustic and electric. I saw footage of her playing the
acoustic intro to "Crazy on You". Amazing!

Mick
============
STRATQUEEN wrote in message
<19971018231...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>I've been talking to a lot of people lately about female guitarists, and
I'm
> wondering who you consider to be the best. I've been a fan of Bonnie
Raitt

...snip

Carlginger

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

>Subject: Re: Best Female Guitarists
>From: strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN)
>Date: Sun, Oct 19, 1997 15:04 EDT
>
>Carl wrote:
>
>>>The best female I ever heard on wailing rock guitar was

>April Lawton from Ramatam which featured Mitch Mitchell on drums and some
>Iron
> Butterfly guy. There was talk that she
>was a sex change back then, probably because she could wipe the floor with a
> lot of players from the time period.>>
>
>Carl.....mebbe April Lawton is now the infamous "Debbie Davies" transgendered
> shemale I posted about yesterday? <g>
>
>Sharon

Nope, she would be much older than Debbie Davies.
April Lawton was around in '71-72.

Carl

Darren

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97
to STRATQUEEN

STRATQUEEN wrote:

> I've been talking to a lot of people lately about female guitarists, and I'm
> wondering who you consider to be the best. I've been a fan of Bonnie Raitt
> and Melissa Etheridge for a long time. Lately I've heard a lot about Rory
> Block, Kelly Jo Phelps, and now this "Debbie Davies". Anybody care to add
> anyone else? (I don't care what kind of music it is.)
>
> I'm also wondering if Sheryl Crowe can really play, or whether her guitar is
> just a prop. I'm still ticked off that she beat out Bonnie for the Grammy last
> spring.
>
> Sharon
> STRATQUEEN
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.
>
> http://members.aol.com/stratqueen/index.html

Sue Foley if you like blues. She's an Austin girl , uses fingerpicks ,
& plays a '68 Paisley Tele. Check out her CDs !

Darren

Jeff Talley

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

STRATQUEEN wrote:

> Sheryl Crow writes *some* of her own tunes, but so does Bonnie.
> (Bonnie also
> has a good backup band.) This issue goes far deeper than just
> gender.....there is also a "youth bias" in the music industry, and it
> falls
> more heavily on the female artists than it does on the men. There
> seems to be
> a general perception in our society that when a man gets older he
> becomes
> "distinguished", but when a woman gets older she is "worn out." I
> could be
> wrong, but this is what I have been seeing the last decade or so.
> Just my .02
> worth.

I agree with you here... But I think Bonnie looks better now than she
did back in the 70's... (Of course when I first saw her on the Guitar
Player cover she looked a lot older to me than she does now...) And I
kinda doubt anyone will be talking about Sheryl Crow when she's Bonnies
age...--
Öutt..
Jeff.

elizabeth & chris

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

STRATQUEEN wrote:

> Liz, in addition to our gender, maybe your lack of height has something to do
> with it.

Hee, yeah I guess it's a little harder to be taken seriously when you're
barely over 5"(1/2 inch over to be exact ;/). :) I look very young also,
which I'm sure is another reason. I'm sure a lot of people would assume
that I'm not old enough to actually make money to buy anything.

<Great story snipped>

When I bought a strap and new cable when I first got my Ovation I went
to the music store without Chris. When I went up to the counter to pay
the salesman said, "Is this for you?" I said, "No, it's for my
grandmother."

I have about a million of these stories. :)

When the Sam Ash store opened here we went and played around for a
while. There was a woman playing a few of the basses, and I was
checking out some Steinberger copy. There was a guy there(customer) who
was so amazed because he had never seen a woman in a music store
actually *playing* an instrument (other than band type). He was
honestly amazed that there were two women at the same time in the same
music store playing!

Like Andrew said, it depends a lot on the individual salesmen. When I
bought my Ovation the salesmen were great. And they were nice before
they knew I was actually buying anything!

ESB

verkuilen john v

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

A number of standard names were mentioned on this thread but...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the more influential guitarists
of the last many years, Joni Mitchell. Sure Joni doesn't burn up the
leads, but she has been the inspiration for a lot of the alternate tuning
work that has been done since the '70's, like Hedges' stuff, etc., and
played very unique rhythm guitar on her albums.

I saw Sue Foley (Tele player-blues/surf) last year. She played some
great stuff. I wish she hired a singer, though as her voice isn't very
good IMO, especially on the recording. Shut up and play yer guitar, Sue!

Obvoiusly Elizabeth Cotton was one of the greats. My friend Leslie plays
some damn fine fingerstyle guitar in the Southern juke joint blues style
like Libba. I may be more well-rounded, but Leslie will probably always have
me for playing acoustic blues as it's in her blood. (I'm not implying that
either of us are "greats" by any stretch. :)

--
J. Verkuilen ja...@uiuc.edu

SEFSTRAT

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

<<I'm also wondering if Sheryl Crowe can really play, or whether her guitar is
> just a prop>>

She can't play OR sing. Ever see her live? God, shr sings out of tune! The
songs are great. I wish someone else would sing them.

Steve
SEFSTRAT

Fulltone

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

Jen Turner is phenomenal...I taught guitar for many years before I started
Fulltone, and NEVER met a person who could pickup note-for-note ellaborate
chord progressions one time through....except Jen that is. We did some jammin'
a couple of times and she is not only a great rhythm and lead guitarist, but a
musical sponge as well.....definitely the best young (under 25) guitarist I've
ever heard. Mike

John Sheehy

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

full...@aol.com (Fulltone) writes:

Is it true she had only been playing for 2 years when she played on
Tigerlily?
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <jsh...@ix.netcom.com>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

STRATQUEEN

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

I previously wrote:

>>I'm also wondering if Sheryl Crowe can really play, or
>> whether her guitar is just a prop>>

SEFSTRAT replied:

>She can't play OR sing. Ever see her live? God, shr sings
out of tune! The songs are great. I wish someone else would
sing them.

My point exactly, which is why I was so pissed off that she beat out Bonnie at
the Grammy's last year. God, I don't have a *phenomenol* voice, but even I
sound better than Crowe. Bonnie did win a Grammy for her tribute to SRV,
though (it was SRV, right?)

Matthew Ivaliotes

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

She's under 25?

I think I'm in love...with yet another woman I could never have.

A guy can dream, can't he? :)

Fulltone <full...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19971020010...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

> Jen Turner is phenomenal...I taught guitar for many years before I
started
> Fulltone, and NEVER met a person who could pickup note-for-note
ellaborate
> chord progressions one time through....except Jen that is. We did some
jammin'
> a couple of times and she is not only a great rhythm and lead guitarist,
but a
> musical sponge as well.....definitely the best young (under 25)
guitarist I've

> ever heard. Mike

SEFSTRAT

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

Some faves:

blues: Bonnie Raitt, Debbie Davies

acoustic: Nancy Wilson (Heart)

classical: Sharon Isbin

Isbin is, IMHO, in a discipline and a league all by herself where lady
guitarists are concerned...and in the world in general, where she has maybe
three peers: Eliot Fisk, Benjamin Verdary, and Lagoya.

Steve
SEFSTRAT

STRATQUEEN

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

I previously wrote:

>>This issue goes far deeper than just gender.....there is also a "youth bias"
in the music industry, and it falls more heavily on the female artists than
it does on the men.>>

Jeff Talley responded:

>I agree with you here... But I think Bonnie looks better now than she did
back in the 70's... (Of course when I first saw her on the Guitar Player cover
she looked a lot older to me than she does now...) And I kinda doubt anyone
will be talking about Sheryl Crow when she's Bonnies age...--

Jeff, that's a very good point. I remember being in Syracuse in the early 70s
and hearing a radio interview in which Bonnie was obviously high on something
and the language was atrocious, but I still loved her music, even back then (I
had very cool parents). Recently I have become friends with the guy who
managed her for several years, and he agrees with me since she's cleaned up
her act in the late 80s and refocused, her career is back on track.

After all that rambling.....I agree Bonnie looks better now than she did back
then. All that hard living in the early days took its toll on her, I guess.

Lutegirl

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

Bonnie's the best,and probably the most well known, from what I have seen or
heard there just aren't too many solo'ist out there.I get so disappointed when
I see many of the "new" female artists just sticking to cowboy chords and not
venturing out into the arena of soloing.It's as if they really aren't reaching
into the depths of thier soul with thier guitar to deliver a heart-wrenching
solo.I would like to shake them up and say listen,"You can do this too",the
guitar is more than a prop,it is a diviner of the soul, a potent and powerful
tool.

>Stratqueen wrote:>I've been talking to a lot of people lately about female

Giri

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

STRATQUEEN wrote:

> I've been talking to a lot of people lately about female guitarists, and I'm
> wondering who you consider to be the best. I've been a fan of Bonnie Raitt
> and Melissa Etheridge for a long time. Lately I've heard a lot about Rory
> Block, Kelly Jo Phelps, and now this "Debbie Davies". Anybody care to add
> anyone else? (I don't care what kind of music it is.)

Sharon, Kelly Joe Phelps isn't a woman. You should still go buy his
CD, excellent stuff. In my opinion, Debbie Davies plays very
well, but I can't stand her singing. I don't like Rory Block at all.
(More on that later.) Have you heard Ani DiFranco? How about good
ol' greats like Joni Mitchell, Rickie Lee jones, etc.?

..Giri

--

e-mail: giyengar "at" ford "dot" com

Giri

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

Giri wrote:
> In my opinion, Debbie Davies plays very well, but I can't stand her
> singing.

Maybe I was thinking of Sue Foley. Hmmm....

STRATQUEEN

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

Giri wrote:

>Sharon, Kelly Joe Phelps isn't a woman. You should still go buy his CD,
excellent stuff. In my opinion, Debbie Davies plays very
well, but I can't stand her singing. I don't like Rory Block at all.
(More on that later.) Have you heard Ani DiFranco? How about good ol' greats
like Joni Mitchell, Rickie Lee jones, etc.?

Giri, WOW.....thanks for clearing that up. I have never heard any of Kelly
Joe's music. Somebody had sent me e-mail last week recommending "her" music,
so I assumed Kelly Joe was a female! Between Kelly Joe and Debbie
Davies.....all this gender confusion this week.....yikes!

And I have heard the same of Debbie Davies -- great player but should not be
singing. I have not heard any of Ani's music yet, but I plan to check her out
soon. And yes, I know of Joni and Ricki...I guess I was trying to find out
about the more recent artists, or maybe the female GUGs. Due to this thread I
have also learned about several interesting artists, and I plan to check them
all out over the coming weeks...always trying to broaden my horizons. If
anyone catches this thread late, but still has something to offer, please do
so!

xd...@interaccess.com

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

Sharon:

Sue Foley has been mentioned a couple of times and I gotta agree. I
got Walk in the Sun a couple of months ago and just bought Young Girl
Blues. Both are excellent.

Doug

Remove the 'x' to reply by email

Geomac

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

STRATQUEEN wrote:

> I've been talking to a lot of people lately about female guitarists, and I'm
> wondering who you consider to be the best. I've been a fan of Bonnie Raitt
> and Melissa Etheridge for a long time. Lately I've heard a lot about Rory
> Block, Kelly Jo Phelps, and now this "Debbie Davies". Anybody care to add
> anyone else? (I don't care what kind of music it is.)
>
> I'm also wondering if Sheryl Crowe can really play, or whether her guitar is
> just a prop. I'm still ticked off that she beat out Bonnie for the Grammy last
> spring.

Well my late $.02 on this thread is that Sheryl Crowe is a real
player, though not amazing. Bonnie IS amazing and is just about my
favortie slide player, period.

I've never been thrilled with Melissa E. as a guitar player, though as
writer and singer I think she's very good (particularly on that first
album).

In this whole thread I have not seen anyone mention Jennifer Batten,
she seemed to be the reigning "Shred Queen" for a few years there.
(OK, she was mentioned in the ugly guitarist thread, but I disagree
with that!). She did some electric work on Sara Hickman's "Shortstop"
album (A GREAT GREAT album) that I like.

pH

Carlginger

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

>Subject: Re: Best Female Guitarists
>From: sefs...@aol.com (SEFSTRAT)
>Date: Mon, Oct 20, 1997 15:15 EDT

><<In this whole thread I have not seen anyone mention Jennifer Batten,
>she seemed to be the reigning "Shred Queen" for a few years there. >>
>
>I was gonna mention her, and you beat me to it! She played well with Michael
> Jackson.
>
>steve
>SEFSTRAT

If everybody stopped staring at her bossoms, you would
see CHARO is playing a guitar, and she's great.

Carl

Carlginger

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

>>Giri wrote:
>>
>>>Sharon, Kelly Joe Phelps isn't a woman. You should still go buy his CD,
>> excellent stuff. In my opinion, Debbie Davies plays very
>>well, but I can't stand her singing. I don't like Rory Block at all.
>>(More on that later.) Have you heard Ani DiFranco? How about good ol' greats
>> like Joni Mitchell, Rickie Lee jones, etc.?

Giri, did Moms Mabley play guitar?

Carl

Kamchak Tuchuk

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

Ya know, I keep waiting for that Akira guy to post here that Yngwie
blows away Bonnie, etc, and is definitely the best female guitarist.

James Andrews

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

SEFSTRAT (sefs...@aol.com) wrote:
: <<In this whole thread I have not seen anyone mention Jennifer Batten,
: she seemed to be the reigning "Shred Queen" for a few years there. >>

: I was gonna mention her, and you beat me to it! She played well with Michael
: Jackson.
: steve
: SEFSTRAT

I have her guitar case from that tour. Right, Bobby? At least I think
that was the one I bought from him...

Jas.

----------------------
James Andrews
Philadelphia, PA
Remove the XX

James Andrews

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

Giri (bl...@blah.blah) wrote:
: Sharon, Kelly Joe Phelps isn't a woman. You should still go buy his
: CD, excellent stuff. In my opinion, Debbie Davies plays very
: well, but I can't stand her singing. I don't like Rory Block at all.
: (More on that later.)

Well, don't leave us hanging! I met Rory Block about 10 years ago at the
Philadelphia Folk Festival. She played some badass blues. I had only
been playing a guitar a couple months, and when talking with her
afterward, she was the first person who put the concept of a non-EADGBE
tuning in my head (she was using G7 at the time).

Jas

Rob Dobson

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

Sue Foley is a good blues guitarist. She's an expatriate Canadian
who now lives in Texas (recent recordings are on the "Antone's" label).

Colin James toured here a couple of years ago with a female guitarist
named Kat Dyson. She could really play. I've seen pictures if her in the
guitar mags advertising Godin guitars. The ads say she's with
"New Power Generation" now, whoever they are.

BTW, I used to be a man who became a woman who became a man too. Now I'm
simply known by a mysterious cryptic symbol. Does that count?

STRATQUEER
(I was *almost* serious for a whole post...)

SEFSTRAT

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

Dan Stanley

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

Carlginger wrote:

> >Subject: Re: Best Female Guitarists
> >From: sefs...@aol.com (SEFSTRAT)
> >Date: Mon, Oct 20, 1997 15:15 EDT
> >
> If everybody stopped staring at her bossoms, you would
> see CHARO is playing a guitar, and she's great.

I can't comment on way or the other on Charo's skill, although Paul Lynde
was much funnier in the center square.

Does anyone remember when Charo won "Best Flamenco Guitarist" in GP in
the late 70's, so <some famous Flemenco player. absolutly refused to ever
grant GP another interview? Who was that? Did he keep his word?

Any Flamenco fans who can give an accurate critique of Charo's skills out
there?

Dan

--
Send me your tired, your hungry, your spam...
- joyce...@oates.com

Nothing is better, nothing is best
Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest.
-Bob Dylan

reply to stanley1 "at" tiac "dot" net

Kamchak Tuchuk

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

On 20 Oct 1997 16:06:53 GMT, strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN) wrote:

>Giri wrote:
>
>>Sharon, Kelly Joe Phelps isn't a woman. You should still go buy his CD,
> excellent stuff. In my opinion, Debbie Davies plays very
>well, but I can't stand her singing. I don't like Rory Block at all.

>(More on that later.) Have you heard Ani DiFranco? How about good ol' greats
> like Joni Mitchell, Rickie Lee jones, etc.?
>>

>Giri, WOW.....thanks for clearing that up. I have never heard any of Kelly
> Joe's music. Somebody had sent me e-mail last week recommending "her" music,
> so I assumed Kelly Joe was a female! Between Kelly Joe and Debbie
> Davies.....all this gender confusion this week.....yikes!
>
>And I have heard the same of Debbie Davies -- great player but should not be
> singing. I have not heard any of Ani's music yet, but I plan to check her out
> soon. And yes, I know of Joni and Ricki...I guess I was trying to find out
> about the more recent artists, or maybe the female GUGs. Due to this thread I
> have also learned about several interesting artists, and I plan to check them
> all out over the coming weeks...always trying to broaden my horizons. If
> anyone catches this thread late, but still has something to offer, please do
> so!
>
>Sharon
>STRATQUEEN
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.
>
>http://members.aol.com/stratqueen/index.html

Thought I'd mention a couple jazz types. Emily Remler and Leni Stern.

Carlginger

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

>Subject: Re: Best Female Guitarists
>From: strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN)
>Date: Mon, Oct 20, 1997 16:01 EDT

>Carl wrote:
>
>>>If everybody stopped staring at her bossoms, you would
>see CHARO is playing a guitar, and she's great.>>
>
>Carl has humbled me once again.....Good Lord, I forgot my OWN namesake!
>(Charo
> is Spanish for Sharon). I agree.... she does some fine acoustic work, but I
> haven't seen her peform in years.
>
>P.S. Maybe that's the reason people remember me most? <g>
>
>Sharon

You can catch her every Labor Day on the Jerry Lewis Telethon.

Carl

Tom Jaffe

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

The late Emily Remler was one of the best jazz guitarists
to hit the seen in many a year. Check out "East to Wes," her
tribute to Wes Montgomery.

STRATQUEEN

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

Phil Hughes wrote:

>>Regarding the musicians on SC's first album. Does anybody know the story of
what happened to Kevin Gilbert? I was a fan of his from Toy Matinee (a great
album: it sold 250,000 copies but 200,000 of them were in Southern
California). I went to his webpage one day and it said he was dead, but I
have never been able to find out any more.>>

It was a severe case of Crow-toxicity.....the guy never stood a chance <eg>

Sharon
__ __
/ `-' / /
|[=l=l=l |||||||||||||||||||||||:::} STRATQUEEN
\__.-.__\

http://members.aol.com/stratqueen/index.html

John Sheehy

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

Geomac <hug...@mail.rancho.cc.ca.us> writes:

>Regarding the musicians on SC's first album. Does anybody know the
>story of what happened to Kevin Gilbert? I was a fan of his from Toy
>Matinee (a great album: it sold 250,000 copies but 200,000 of them
>were in Southern California). I went to his webpage one day and it
>said he was dead, but I have never been able to find out any more.

I didn't know he died. He put out a solo album in '94 called "Thud". A
bit different from his Crow/Madonna material, not designed for the
charts.

Phantom Post

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

In article <62g5ea$ei...@dragon.sk.sympatico.ca>, r.do...@sk.sympatico.ca (Rob Dobson) wrote:

>Colin James toured here a couple of years ago with a female guitarist
>named Kat Dyson. She could really play. I've seen pictures if her in the
>guitar mags advertising Godin guitars. The ads say she's with
>"New Power Generation" now, whoever they are.

Well that would be that purple guy's band formerly known as . . . heck! How'd
we get back on short guys again?

PAT
===================================
Phantom Post Productions
Guitars/Synths/MIDI Composition
===================================
Email ;-) put "patrickt" in place of "nospam"

STRATQUEEN

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

Stevie Rob wrote:

>BTW, I used to be a man who became a woman who became a man too. Now I'm
simply known by a mysterious cryptic symbol. Does that count?

>STRATQUEER
>(I was *almost* serious for a whole post...)

Umm...Rob, is there something you're trying to tell us? Are you coming "Öutt".
Are you changing your screen name, babe? If so, that's a kewl handle... <g>

STRATQUEEN

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

Troubleman wrote:

>>There are quite a few around; anybody heard of northern
slide legend Sharon the Stratqueen? I hear she has attitude..... (duck!)>>

.....the Viking Queen raises her axe to the star-filled sky,
and with a mighty roar, shouts across the icey tundra......
"Troubleman! I thought you said you loved me! Oh, what
a cruel, cruel world!"

K. Bruner

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

Kristin Hersh, both with Throwing Muses but shiningly on her solo album
_Hips & Makers_. *Amazing* songs.

-K

Carlginger

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

>Subject: Re: Best Female Guitarists
>From: nap...@ugcs.caltech.edu (K. Bruner)
>Date: Mon, Oct 20, 1997 23:10 EDT

>Kristin Hersh, both with Throwing Muses but shiningly on her solo album
>_Hips & Makers_. *Amazing* songs.
>
>-K

Carol Kaye, the famous bass player.

Carl

Troubleman

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

sefs...@aol.com (SEFSTRAT) wrote:

>Some faves:

>blues: Bonnie Raitt, Debbie Davies

>acoustic: Nancy Wilson (Heart)

>classical: Sharon Isbin

>Isbin is, IMHO, in a discipline and a league all by herself where lady
> guitarists are concerned...and in the world in general, where she has maybe
> three peers: Eliot Fisk, Benjamin Verdary, and Lagoya.

>Steve
>SEFSTRAT

Debbie Davies (Sharon, I guess she has an incredible surgeon) is a
great player, Phobe Ligiere is a great player (accordian too,
nevermind...) as well, Rory Block (sorry Giri) is cool, Sue Foley
rocks, Jennifer Batten (ok, i actually *went* to the Michael Jackson
show) played killer guitar when I saw her, Emily Remler (rip) was
terrific, Bonnie Raitt slides like few others - male or female, Liona
Boyd is super, as is Sharon Isbin, Badi Assad is a pretty decent
player.....

there are quite a few around; anybody heard of northern slide legend

Sharon the Stratqueen? I hear she has attitude..... (duck!)

Troubleman
return correspond to: jaybee "at" smart "dot" net - you get it....

BigDave

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

In article <346709cf...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, jsh...@ix.netcom.com (John Sheehy) wrote:
>Geomac <hug...@mail.rancho.cc.ca.us> writes:
>
>>Regarding the musicians on SC's first album. Does anybody know the
>>story of what happened to Kevin Gilbert? I was a fan of his from Toy
>>Matinee (a great album: it sold 250,000 copies but 200,000 of them
>>were in Southern California). I went to his webpage one day and it
>>said he was dead, but I have never been able to find out any more.

try emailing KLOS radio in LA, they were a big supporter of toy matinee

Dave

Matt Seniff

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

Let's not forget Poison Ivy of the Cramps, she's been a fave of mine
for many years. matt

verkuilen john v

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

nos...@mcn.org (Phantom Post) writes:

>In article <62g5ea$ei...@dragon.sk.sympatico.ca>, r.do...@sk.sympatico.ca (Rob Dobson) wrote:

>>Colin James toured here a couple of years ago with a female guitarist
>>named Kat Dyson. She could really play. I've seen pictures if her in the
>>guitar mags advertising Godin guitars. The ads say she's with
>>"New Power Generation" now, whoever they are.

>Well that would be that purple guy's band formerly known as . . . heck! How'd
>we get back on short guys again?

Wendy Melvoin from The Revolution (and later Wendy and Lisa) was
interesting, too. She played some good funk guitar.
--
J. Verkuilen ja...@uiuc.edu

STRATQUEEN

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

I previously wrote:

>I take back what I said about Rickie Lee Jones.....eeeek!
>I saw her on the Conan O'Brien show last night and she
>looked and sounded like a bad acid trip (not that I'd know
>from personal experience, mind you). Her vocals were all
>over the place, her playing sucked, she was off pitch, off
>rhythm, the lyrics to the song could have been from one of
>those "Nighmare on Elm Street" movies. I still get the shivers
>just thinking about it. I hope this is not her "new" image.

Stevie Rob responded:

>Sounds like she's becoming Suzanne Vega...
>
>(Who actually likes Suzanne Vega)

Rob, she was more like Suzanne Vega on a bad trip.....oy, she was BAD. BTW, I
like Suzanne, too.

Andy Wallace

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

John Sheehy wrote:

> Geomac <hug...@mail.rancho.cc.ca.us> writes:
>
> >Regarding the musicians on SC's first album. Does anybody know the
> >story of what happened to Kevin Gilbert? I was a fan of his from Toy
> >Matinee (a great album: it sold 250,000 copies but 200,000 of them
> >were in Southern California). I went to his webpage one day and it
> >said he was dead, but I have never been able to find out any more.
>
> I didn't know he died. He put out a solo album in '94 called
> "Thud". A bit different from his Crow/Madonna material, not
> designed for the charts.

I LOVE that album. VERY cool cover of Kashmir is available on
an EP that they have packaged with the CD, too. A couple of
tunes are weaker, but overall, I think it's a great effort.
Too bad there won't be any more.

As I understand it, he died under less than PG-rated circumstances.
Very too bad.

--
Andy Wallace (650) 372-2230 (Internal:x2737)
awal...@insweb.com http://www.insweb.com

STRATQUEEN

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

with regard to an album called "THUD", Andy Wallace <awal...@insweb.com>
wrote:

>I LOVE that album. VERY cool cover of Kashmir is available on
>an EP that they have packaged with the CD, too. A couple of
>tunes are weaker, but overall, I think it's a great effort.
>Too bad there won't be any more.

Jeeze, that just reminded me...When I first started taking middle eastern dance
lessons years ago, my instructor used Zeppelin's "Kashmir" for a routine she
was teaching us. If anyone had ever told me I'd be belly dancing to a
Zeppelin tune, I'd say they were nuts.....go figure.....

P.S. But then again, it is a sexy song, in its own way.

Spiced Pork the other Spork

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

On 21 Oct 1997 01:05:33 GMT, strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN) wrote:

>Phil Hughes wrote:
>
>>>Regarding the musicians on SC's first album. Does anybody know the story of
> what happened to Kevin Gilbert? I was a fan of his from Toy Matinee (a great
> album: it sold 250,000 copies but 200,000 of them were in Southern
> California). I went to his webpage one day and it said he was dead, but I
> have never been able to find out any more.>>
>>

>It was a severe case of Crow-toxicity.....the guy never stood a chance <eg>
>

>Sharon
> __ __
> / `-' / /
> |[=l=l=l |||||||||||||||||||||||:::} STRATQUEEN
> \__.-.__\
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>http://members.aol.com/stratqueen/index.html

Turns out Kevin Gilbert was one of those guys who likes to hang
himself a little bit while...um...yankin' his crank. Anyway he
accidentally choked himself to death and they found him dead with a
leather hood and all.

Carlginger

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

>P.S. This stuff is way TOO scary for me, I'll take sex the old fashioned
> Viking way any day. <eg>

>Sharon
> __ __
> / `-' / /
> |[=l=l=l |||||||||||||||||||||||:::} STRATQUEEN
> \__.-.__\
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Weren't the Vikings Greek!!

Carl

STRATQUEEN

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

I previously wrote in response to the news of the untimely death of Sheryl
Crowe's guitarist (due to auto-eroticism):

>>P.S. This stuff is way TOO scary for me, I'll take sex the old fashioned
Viking way any day. <eg> >>

Carl responded:

>>Weren't the Vikings Greek!!>>

NO, they were originally Danish.
Why, Carl, are YOU Greek? <efg>.
BTW, I'm assuming it's against the official Stevie rules to have sex with
another Stevie, as that would be too much like incest. ;-)
I'll wait for an official Stevie Referee to make that call, as I have offers
pending <G>

Stevie (I really ain't a pervert) Sharon
[well, kinda sorta]

Carlginger

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

>>>P.S. This stuff is way TOO scary for me, I'll take sex the old fashioned
> Viking way any day. <eg> >>
>>
>Carl responded:
>
>>>Weren't the Vikings Greek!!>>
>
>NO, they were originally Danish.
>Why, Carl, are YOU Greek? <efg>.
>BTW, I'm assuming it's against the official Stevie rules to have sex with
> another Stevie, as that would be too much like incest. ;-)
>I'll wait for an official Stevie Referee to make that call, as I have offers
> pending <G>
>
>Stevie (I really ain't a pervert) Sharon
> [well, kinda sorta]

Italian.
Jeff and Louima, check the Stevie rules before you
get intimate with each other.

Carl

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

r.do...@sk.sympatico.ca (Rob Dobson) wrote:
[] Colin James toured here a couple of years ago with a female guitarist
[] named Kat Dyson. She could really play. I've seen pictures if her in the
[] guitar mags advertising Godin guitars.

That's right -- I forgot about her. I saw that tour, she was pretty
damned good. He didn't get too many solos, but even her rhythm playing
was groovin'

Stevie Speck

----
"The quality of our thoughts is bordered on all sides by our
facility with language." -- J. Michael Straczynski
Remove X's from my email address above to reply
chri...@microsoft.com -- Snohomish, WA. -- Studio of Stone
[These opinions are personal views only and only my personal views]

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN) wrote:
[] Anybody care to add
[] anyone else? (I don't care what kind of music it is.)

My fav female guitarist (and singer-songwriter) is Shawn Colvin, even
before she was finally rewarded with a well selling release

Others:
Joni Mitchell
Bonnie Raitt, of course
Rory Block (blues/folk)
Joan Armatrading
Ani Defranco
Jennifer Turner (w/ Natalie Merchant)
Leni Stern (jazz)

... I guess there aren't a lot of female guitar heros

Eh?

F Yang

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

Hmm, most of my favorite players are songwriter/singers first, guitarists
second. They write great songs and play whatever is necessary for the
song. For example? Heather Nova, Sarah McLachlan, Tanya Donelly (she can
ROCK!) to name a few. They don't shred or display a lot of viruosity
because it's not what they're interested in. Not sure what my point was.
I've just been listening to Tanya Donelly's "Lovesongs For Underdogs", which
is a great album, a lot lately. Thought I'd mention her.

Frank Yang
University Of Waterloo
"I'm not an engineer but I play one on TV"

F Yang

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

In article <19971019033...@ladder01.news.aol.com> strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN) writes:
>From: strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN)

>Subject: Re: Best Female Guitarists
>Date: 19 Oct 1997 03:38:16 GMT

>Jguy wrote:

>>I think Ani Defranco is pretty happenin'. Not saying she's the best, but then
> again what's that? All depends on your criteria.
>Also like the girl w/Natalie Merchant. Rather tasty player.>

>I'm not really familar with Ani's work, but Liz has mentioned her a few times
> lately; I'll have to check it out. And yeah, I forgot about the one with
> Natalie Merchant; she does some fine work. And you're right, everyone has
> different criteria to define "the best"....we've seen that proven here enough
> in threads about the male guitarists. I'm just trying to gain a broad
> exposure to all these other artists (no pun intended).

>Stevie (still Politically Incorrect) Sharon

I'll second both of these. Ani DiFranco has got to be one of the coolest
acoustic guitarists around - male or female. She just punishes her guitar,
but in an incredibly intricate and skilled way. Her not-so-over-the-top
stuff is great too.
Jennifer Turner has got a great tone, and it compliments Natalie Merchants
songs perfectly (I preferred her maniacs stuff, personally). Very cool.
bluesy stuff without being derivative.
The first time I hear both of these players, I actually stopped and listened
to the guitar - it stood out that much. And I'm a pretty jaded guy.
If you haven't heard either of these ladies, check 'em out. I recommend
Ani's "Imperfectly" album, though they're all good. And I don't think Ms
Turner is on anything except Natlie Merchant's "Tigerlily".
Anyways.

James P. H. Fuller

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

STRATQUEEN wrote:

> BTW, I'm assuming it's against the official Stevie rules to have sex
> with another Stevie, as that would be too much like incest. ;-)
> I'll wait for an official Stevie Referee to make that call, as I have
> offers pending <G>

When and if, we'll expect a SEFSTRAT-length review of whoever it
is who gets this particuler duty station.

James P. H. Fuller

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

Geomac

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

James P. H. Fuller wrote:

> STRATQUEEN wrote:
>

> > BTW, I'm assuming it's against the official Stevie rules to have sex
> > with another Stevie, as that would be too much like incest. ;-)

No, there is no rule against it. And if there were your
"Stevie-sister" EW certainly would've violated it. If you had read up
on Stevie history, you'ld know that!

pH

Geomac

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

Andy Wallace wrote:

> John Sheehy wrote:

> > I didn't know he died. He put out a solo album in '94 called
> > "Thud". A bit different from his Crow/Madonna material, not
> > designed for the charts.
>

> I LOVE that album. VERY cool cover of Kashmir is available on
> an EP that they have packaged with the CD, too. A couple of
> tunes are weaker, but overall, I think it's a great effort.
> Too bad there won't be any more.
>

> As I understand it, he died under less than PG-rated circumstances.
> Very too bad.

What were the circumstances? Now I'm REALLY curious.

Yes, "Thud" is also a great album. Both "Goodness Graceous" and
"Kashmir" got heavy radio airplay on one of the big LA rock stations
(the reason that he was massivly popular in SoCal but not elsewhere).
The version of "Kashmir" was recorded for the Led Zep tribute album
but rejected by the marketing folks. When it became a local hit, they
started packaging it with "Thud" .

The bit about less than PG-rated circumstances reminds me of my
favorite lyrics from that album:

There's no sex that isn't dangerous
no money left to spend
We're the clean up crew for parties
we were too young to attend.

pH

STRATQUEEN

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

Patrick, it was like you were inside my head when you wrote that wonderful
post! When I started this thread about 100 posts ago, I asked for everyone's
views on who are the best female guitarists in the business, and I also stated
I didn't care what kind of music it was, because I wanted a wide range of

Now I'll confess I had rather selfish motives. Sure, I was interested in
hearing everyone's opinion (except the trollers), and exchanging ideas, but
I'm also truly looking to broaden my music collection and learn more about
what's "out there", to remain as open-minded about music as possible. I'm now
learning there is some fantastic music out there I never existed. Now I
don't feel so cheated because I'll have an opportunity to explore it!

Sharon (proud to be your Stevie sister) Demmerlé

Sharon Demmerlé

__ __
/ `-' / /
|[=l=l=l |||||||||||||||||||||||:::} STRATQUEEN
\__.-.__\

http://members.aol.com/stratqueen/index.html

STRATQUEEN

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

Ron Long <rone...@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>>It's that 6 over 4 feel, combined with the ascending riff, that makes it seem
so exotic and mysterious. "Kasmir" is one of my all time fave tunes, btw, but
hardly one that I'd think of as an appropriate example of middle eastern music
...>>

Of course Kashmir is not middle eastern music. The exercise she was teaching
us in class that week was to consolidate everything we had learned so far, and
to incorporate it into a routine using modern music (but containing those same
sensuous rhythms). Believe me, it worked. The man I first danced that number
for, I ended up marrying.

>>Maybe we need a new thread>>.

Suggestions?

STRATQUEEN

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

Peter wrote:

>No, there is no rule against it. And if there were your
>"Stevie-sister" EW certainly would've violated it.
>If you had read up on Stevie history, you'ld know that!

Aaaaah.....so Chris was a Stevie *before* he met ESB...and then
they....ummm.....ok, I think I get it now. ;-)

Fulltone

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

>I like Turner.....but that tone is merely a PRS through a Matchless. Realy
> easily duplicated; in her case, it ain't all in the hands.

Oh no Steve....that's a stock 100 watt Marshall with 4x12 cab and a Fulldrive2.

STRATQUEEN

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

James P. H. Fuller" <j...@Olympus.athens.net> responded:

>When and if, we'll expect a SEFSTRAT-length review of
>whoever it is who gets this particuler duty station.

Stevie Speck wrote to me tonight and said he wants a "blow-by-blow" review
written in true SEFSTRAT style,
including comments on "hardware", "tone" and "finish". ;-)

P.S. What the hell do ya mean by "duty station." You make it sound like work!
As if!!

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN) wrote:
[] >Sounds like she's becoming Suzanne Vega...

[] >
[] >(Who actually likes Suzanne Vega)
[] >
[] Rob, she was more like Suzanne Vega on a bad trip.....oy, she was BAD. BTW, I
[] like Suzanne, too.

Suzanne has never been one to keep an even keel in the pitch
department, but it's never been non-musical (actually, I think the
same can be said for a lot of my favs). But I didn't really care for
Suzanne all that much until her latest album, _Nine Objects Of
Desire_. Her voice is interesting, the compositions are cool, the
grooves are great, Froom (her husband) did a *great* job of production
and the audio engineers should give themselves a pat on the back --
this one's a desert island disc.

Stevie Speck

John Sheehy

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

Andy Wallace <awal...@insweb.com> writes:

>> I didn't know he died. He put out a solo album in '94 called
>> "Thud". A bit different from his Crow/Madonna material, not
>> designed for the charts.
>
>I LOVE that album. VERY cool cover of Kashmir is available on
>an EP that they have packaged with the CD, too. A couple of
>tunes are weaker, but overall, I think it's a great effort.
>Too bad there won't be any more.
>
>As I understand it, he died under less than PG-rated circumstances.
>Very too bad.

The album cover sort of foreshadows his death, actually. He's leaning
on a table with his face down and one hand up. This table is under a
tree from which he was to hang himself, but on a treble hook insted of
in a noose. I guess I'll never look at this disk the same way again!
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <jsh...@ix.netcom.com>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Carlginger

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

>>Stevie Speck wrote to me tonight and said he wants a "blow

out, Jeff

Giri

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

STRATQUEEN wrote:

> P.S. This stuff is way TOO scary for me, I'll take sex the old fashioned
> Viking way any day. <eg>

What, rape and pillage?

--

e-mail: giyengar "at" ford "dot" com

Giri

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

Mark Garvin wrote:

> I had a friend that claimed to have sex with a car once.
> He was dragged half a mile by a Volvo, presumably due to
> a misspelling in a sex-ed manual.

I saw that. They had to pour cold water on him to
separate them.

..Giri

jesmiley

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

Not A Speck Of Cereal wrote:

> strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN) wrote:
> [] Anybody care to add
> [] anyone else? (I don't care what kind of music it is.)
>
> My fav female guitarist (and singer-songwriter) is Shawn Colvin, even
> before she was finally rewarded with a well selling release
>
> Others:
> Joni Mitchell
> Bonnie Raitt, of course
> Rory Block (blues/folk)
> Joan Armatrading

Yes ! Thank you for mentioning Joan. I saw her on TV years ago and was
completely blown away. When I tried to get her album the guy at the music
store looked at me like.....well, it was like looking into the eyes of a
chicken. I put it off and days became years............any suggestions?

J. remove the PA to reply

STRATQUEEN

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

Jes, I recommend this one:

JOAN ARMATRADING
Greatest Hits

Label: A&M Records 540 525
Compact Disc $15.99 (+ s/h)
Cassette Tape $10.99 (+ s/h)

Stereo
1 disc
Released: 06/18/96 Originally Released: 1996

Track Listing:
1. Show Some Emotion
2. Cool Blue Stole My Heart
3. Love And Affection
4. Weakness In Me, The
5. Rosie
6. I'm Lucky
7. Drop The Pilot
8. Down To Zero
9. Kind Words (And A Real Good Heart)
10. Whatever's For Us, For Us
11. Willow
12. Me Myself I
13. Call Me Names, (I Love It When You)
14. All The Way From America
15. Back To The Night
16. When I Get It Right
17. Heaven
18. Temptation
19. Kissin' And A Huggin' - (live, CD only)

Notes:
GREATEST HITS is part of A&M Records' Backlot Series.

P158619/222045 (C) Muze, MTS Incorporated
Sharon Demmerlé
Stevie "Strat" Queen
http://members.aol.com/stratqueen/index.html

Rob Dobson

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

In article <34662097.92807790@newsvr>, Xchr...@microsoft.comX (Not A Speck Of Cereal) says:

>Has anyone mentioned (I hope I get his right) Badi Asad? I've read
>some reviews and all of them are shining. I looked for her once or
>twice in the store, but couldn't find her (have a feeling that she
>might be in classical, but haven't ventured into that area yet).
>
>Stevie Speck

SEFSTRAT mentioned her earlier. I've listened to a couple of her albums.
The first cut was a very impressive instrumental. On the next song, she
started doing this vocal chirping and banging on her guitar and on her
chair, her cheeks, her forehead and anything else that was handy.
I started laughing uncontrollably.

Steve described her in an email to me as "immensely talented but
deeply weird". That's hitting the nail on the head... and on the
chest, and on the cheek and on the thigh...

STV Rob

Rob Dobson

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

> When and if, we'll expect a SEFSTRAT-length review of whoever it
>is who gets this particuler duty station.>>

LOL!! ("duty station"?!)

>Natch. With pictures.
>
>Stevie Steve
>
>SEFSTRAT

Well, if a picture is worth a 1,000 words, five or six photos should
about cover it, eh Steve?

STV Rob

STRATQUEEN

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

Stevie Rob wrote:
>>LOL!! ("duty station"?!)

Hey! Who was that wiseass that referred to it as a "duty station" anyway?
Hrrrummpfff! Jeeze, I guess we know how your mind works on that subject!

STRATQUEEN

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

SEFSTRAT wrote:
>>Natch. With pictures.

Stevie Rob replied:

>>Well, if a picture is worth a 1,000 words, five or six
>>photos should about cover it, eh Steve?

SEF, you might want to capture some "audio", too, in order to experience the
full effect for your review. <eg> Maybe we can even get Stewart Copeland to
write the score....but then we'd need to think of a really catchy title for
the film......

Mike Hoye

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

In article <19971021203...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,

Carlginger <carlg...@aol.com> wrote:
>>P.S. This stuff is way TOO scary for me, I'll take sex the old fashioned
>> Viking way any day. <eg>
>>
>>Sharon

>> __ __
>> / `-' / /
>> |[=l=l=l |||||||||||||||||||||||:::} STRATQUEEN
>> \__.-.__\
>>
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Weren't the Vikings Greek!!

?

Norse. The vikings were Norse.

You're thinking of the Gladiators.

--
Mike Hoye

STRATQUEEN

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

Patrick (twang1) wrote:

>>I can still remember the first time I saw her [Bonnie
>>Raitt] on the tv. She was on midnight special doing
>>Runaway by Del Shannon.. a tune and an artist my
>>friends and I thought underrated..

Patrick, I remember this show as well.....It was a LONG time ago, and I lived
in Dallas then. I think that's when I fell in love with Bonnie (figuratively,
of course). The song is a good one, but Bonnie made it great with that
soulful style of hers.

Jeff Talley

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

Carlginger wrote:

> >>Stevie Speck wrote to me tonight and said he wants a "blow
>
> out, Jeff

After this thread Carly, we'll all know what happened to you if you
disappear all of a sudden.. Either that or it will be the burning bed
thing..... Go Ginger!

--
Öutt..
Jeff.

patrick f.coleman

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

STRATQUEEN wrote:

> Patrick, it was like you were inside my head when you wrote that
> wonderful
> post! When I started this thread about 100 posts ago, I asked for
> everyone's
> views on who are the best female guitarists in the business, and I
> also stated
> I didn't care what kind of music it was, because I wanted a wide
> range of
>
> Now I'll confess I had rather selfish motives. Sure, I was interested
> in
> hearing everyone's opinion (except the trollers), and exchanging
> ideas, but
> I'm also truly looking to broaden my music collection and learn more
> about
> what's "out there", to remain as open-minded about music as
> possible. I'm now
> learning there is some fantastic music out there I never existed.
> Now I
> don't feel so cheated because I'll have an opportunity to explore it!
>
> Sharon (proud to be your Stevie sister) Demmerlé
>
> Sharon Demmerlé

> __ __
> / `-' / /
> |[=l=l=l |||||||||||||||||||||||:::} STRATQUEEN
> \__.-.__\
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> http://members.aol.com/stratqueen/index.html

Stratqueen:
This turned otu to be a good thread.. I'm looking forward to continuing
to read it today.
I checked my post and damn! I forgot to rave about Bonnie Raitt.
(while posting the first one I accidentally erased it all and had to
start over.. I guess in my frustration I didn't get bonnie back in.)
I can still remember the first time I saw her on the tv. She was on

midnight special doing Runaway by Del Shannon.. a tune and an artist my

friends and I thought underrated.. (I still get a huge charge out his
tunes.. "Ill follow the sun" etc.)
I lost the label to the tape where she performs that song, but the tv
featured a harp player who seemed to have one in every pocket.. he did a
great job backing her up. Anyone know that guys name?
I even get a kick out of her singing show tunes on Letterman with her
dad.

meanwhile, back to the NG.
twang!
patrick f. coleman

Kamchak Tuchuk

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

On 22 Oct 1997 03:25:29 GMT, strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN) wrote:

>Peter wrote:
>
>>No, there is no rule against it. And if there were your
>>"Stevie-sister" EW certainly would've violated it.
>>If you had read up on Stevie history, you'ld know that!
>
>Aaaaah.....so Chris was a Stevie *before* he met ESB...and then
> they....ummm.....ok, I think I get it now. ;-)
>

>Sharon Demmerlé
> __ __
> / `-' / /
> |[=l=l=l |||||||||||||||||||||||:::} STRATQUEEN
> \__.-.__\
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>http://members.aol.com/stratqueen/index.html

What's a Stevie?

Carlginger

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

>Subject: Re: Auto-Eroticism (was Re: Best Female Guitarists)
>From: Jg...@ftc-i.net (Kamchak Tuchuk)
>Date: Wed, Oct 22, 1997 11:34 EDT

>On 22 Oct 1997 03:25:29 GMT, strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN) wrote:
>
>>Peter wrote:
>>
>>>No, there is no rule against it. And if there were your
>>>"Stevie-sister" EW certainly would've violated it.
>>>If you had read up on Stevie history, you'ld know that!
>>
>>Aaaaah.....so Chris was a Stevie *before* he met ESB...and then
>> they....ummm.....ok, I think I get it now. ;-)
>>

>>Sharon Demmerlé

I don't think this guy Chris ever posted anything here.

Carl

Rob Dobson

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

In article <19971018231...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, strat...@aol.com (STRATQUEEN) says:

>. Lately I've heard a lot about Rory
> Block, Kelly Jo Phelps, and now this "Debbie Davies".

You know, I was trying to recall where I'd heard Debbie Davies and now
I remember. There's a John Mayhall record from about 1989 that he recorded
with Coco Montoya and I think DD also plays on a couple tracks. This
album also features Sonny Landreth on slide (on almost every tune if
recall correctly). This was before he recorded as a solo artist.
This album should appeal to you slide fans.

Anybody remember the name of this record?

STV Rob

It is loading more messages.