Ukulele chords

John Misrahi

Aug 2, 2003, 12:39:33 PM8/2/03
Can anyone tell me the voicings for some basic ukulele chords?

thanks,

John

--
-"The other pubs were all
furnished with the faux "old country" furniture and trappings that must come

To reply by email, please remove 'nospam'

John Misrahi

Aug 2, 2003, 1:47:14 PM8/2/03
Actually, I found a chart..But i'm missing Eb for a song I want to
play..Anyone know how to play an Eb on a uke?

john

John Misrahi wrote in message
<8PRWa.1080$Jf3....@newscontent-01.sprint.ca>...

Alexander Joseph

Aug 2, 2003, 7:28:50 PM8/2/03
Here comes a useful link for you.
http://chordfind.com/4-string/
I hope that clears it all
Alexander

"John Misrahi" <lmou...@sprint.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Mike McKernan

Aug 2, 2003, 9:04:35 PM8/2/03
On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 12:39:33 -0400, "John Misrahi" <lmou...@sprint.ca>
wrote:

>Can anyone tell me the voicings for some basic ukulele chords?

I was in Hawaii and picked up (played with, not bought) a uke at one
of those touristy stands. The one I grabbed was tuned like the top 4
strings of a guitar, except that the "low" string was an octave high.

If that's how they're tuned, just use the top four strings of guitar
chords.

John Misrahi

Aug 3, 2003, 2:28:24 AM8/3/03

>I was in Hawaii and picked up (played with, not bought) a uke at one
>of those touristy stands. The one I grabbed was tuned like the top 4
>strings of a guitar, except that the "low" string was an octave high.
>
>If that's how they're tuned, just use the top four strings of guitar
>chords.

As far as I know, that is the 'wrong' way to tune one....though there may be
different tunings, as with a guitar or banjo...

My feeling on the top four strings of a guitar tuning is that it makes the
uke sound like just a crappy guitar that happens to be missing 2 strings ;-p

I tune mine GCEA

I think it's a 'standard' tuning.

I can't figure out how to play an Eb chord though..Anybody?

john

Hoonoze

Aug 3, 2003, 3:56:45 AM8/3/03

"John Misrahi" <lmou...@sprint.ca> wrote in message

With that tuning - 1st string, first fret; other 3 strings, third fret -
voila, Eb major.

Mike McKernan

Aug 3, 2003, 7:58:56 AM8/3/03
On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 02:28:24 -0400, "John Misrahi" <lmou...@sprint.ca>
wrote:

>As far as I know, that is the 'wrong' way to tune one....though there may be

>different tunings, as with a guitar or banjo...
>
>My feeling on the top four strings of a guitar tuning is that it makes the
>uke sound like just a crappy guitar that happens to be missing 2 strings ;-p
>
>I tune mine GCEA
>
>I think it's a 'standard' tuning.
>
>I can't figure out how to play an Eb chord though..Anybody?

OK, so the intervals are the same as on the top 4 strings of a guitar,
but it's tuned a fourth (or more likely, an octave plus a fourth)
higher. So play the guitar chord that's a fourth below. For an #b,
play the 4-string chord that would be a Bb on guitar, In other words,
Eb could be:

----1----
----3----
----3----
----3----

or

----6----
----3----
----3----
----3----

Bulldog

Aug 4, 2003, 11:05:23 PM8/4/03
GCEA is the standard tuning. "My dog has fleas" was how we sang the notes
when I learned as a child in Hawaii. Here is a link for Uke chords I have
found helpful in transposing songs from guitar.
http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~kunisige/eukulele8.html
Cheers!
Bulldog
--
"If you dont know where you're going, any road will take you there."
-George Harrison

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/379/bulldogsoundtracks.html

"John Misrahi" <lmou...@sprint.ca> wrote in message

Steve Comeau

Aug 8, 2003, 2:16:07 PM8/8/03
Just add "a guitar capoed at the 5th fret" and you've got it right. In
fact, that's how I practice ukulele chords when my uke isn't handy.

Last April, I picked up a 6-string tenor ukulele in Hawaii - the 1st and 3rd
strings are double courses with a unison and octave string respectively.
These ukes are usually tuned in "Lo-G" (GCEA) where the 4th string is the
lowest pitched as opposed to typical soprano and concert ukes that are tuned
with the 4th string at "hi-G".

For what it's worth, the lo-G tuning is what Israel Kamakawiwo'ole used on
his beautiful rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" that folks may have
heard in movies and TV ads over the last couple of years. I believe that he
played a Martin concert-size ukulele.

John Misrahi mentioned wanting to play in Eb. Possible of course, but not
the first key I would choose. Maybe he's playing along with a wind
instrument. For strumming in the GCEA tuning, I've found the easiest and
nicest sounding keys to be F, C, G and A thus far. Gm is cool as well.
Other keys don't have as many, or any, open chords that give the ukulele an
opportunity to resonate a little bit.

All the best

Steve Comeau

"Mike McKernan" <mikem...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Frank Hamilton

Aug 23, 2003, 3:23:02 PM8/23/03
John,

Major 6th chords sound very good on a uke. Actually the open strings of the
uke is tuned in a major 6th chord.

The Eb that you want depends on which voice uke you are playing. There is
the standard GCEA but there is also ADF#B, a smaller version. Not sure
about the tenor tuning but the baritone is like the top four strings of the
guitar. DGBE.

If you have a standard tuned CGEA then the Eb chord is
Barre four strings and the third fret, play a D position chord with the last
three fingers.

Four strings barred at the 3rd fret, middle finger 3rd string on the 5th
fret, pinky finger on the 2nd string 6th fret and ring finger on the 1rst
string 5th fret.

Pick up the pinky and you have an Eb6 which is a pretty chord.

Frank

Steve Comeau

Aug 23, 2003, 11:09:38 PM8/23/03
Hi Frank,

I think that you described a Bb and Bb6 on a GCEA uke.

One way to do an Eb is

1333

1st string first fret and 3rd fret for the other strings.

As you pointed out, the uke is already tuned as a major 6th so just bar the
3rd fret to get an Eb6.

All the best,

Steve Comeau

"Frank Hamilton" <ham...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Frank Hamilton

Aug 27, 2003, 5:44:14 PM8/27/03
You're right Steve. That's because I'm a &*#@! guitar player.

Thanks for the correction.

Frank

"Steve Comeau" <notco...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Steve Comeau

Aug 28, 2003, 7:14:20 AM8/28/03
You're quite welcome Frank. I'm a &*#@! guitar player too. I just bought
my first ukulele last April and I'm having fun applying it to stuff I
learned on guitar as well as writing new songs with it.

Thanks for being a frequent and thoughtful contributor to this group.

All the best,

Steve