Raezer's Edge T8-LW, the new light weight champ...

dcs...@swbell.net

Aug 9, 2007, 3:13:19 PM8/9/07
I've been trying out the new T8-LW for the last few weeks and I'm
blown away. Firstly, I'm amazed at the light weight achieved by using
4 oz. Neodymium magnets and 1/2" plywood vs. 3/4". It's significantly
lighter than my NY8 and NY8-ER and much easier to lug long distances.
As "T8" implies, it's got two 8" drivers in a ported box, like the
earlier T8 and T8-T. The drivers are side-by-side, like the T8.

Some of you may remember me talking about the original T8 and saying
it's the RE cab for people that want a dark sounding cab. There's a
lot of you out there, probably more than those of us that prefer a
leaner sound. Well, this T8-LW is for those that want a lighter, more
efficient, S12-like cab. I think the tonal balance is very much akin
to the S12, but without quite so much edge when you're close to it.
The LW produces a full-bodied sound that projects well, without being
too dark or losing definition. Because it's 4 ohms, it really works
well with all my solid state amps, including the Fender Ultralight I'm
reviewing right now. BTW, it also works very well indeed with the tube-
loaded Alessandro Greyhound that I just bought from Jay Carlson,
thanks to the available 4-ohm tap. That Greyhound is really very sweet
and has become my number-one music room amp.

Don't think of it as an "ER" extended range cab. It's best with
archtops and magnetic pickups, but it'll do in a pinch for nylon and
flat top play. (You'll want an ER cab if that's your main bag). I like
it best with my small bodied Dean Stylist with two routed pickups,
using a pick. That rig puts out a big, full tone that's still got
plenty of highs.

The LW is slightly bulkier than the original T8, but it's still small
enough to sit on the floor behind the driver's seat of my Hyundai
Azera as I drive to practice and gigs. (I'm 6" tall, but the Azera IS
roomy). With my guitar strapped to my back, this cab in one hand and
the little Acoustic Image SL-R on one shoulder, I've got hands left
over for a music book, a stand and other stuff. There's no problemo
carrying this cab several blocks without a stop and then there's no
compromise in sound when you plug it in. I play a trumpet/guitar gig
and carry everything in one load. With other cabs, even the small
single eights, I would often need to stop and let my arm rest. Not so
with this cab.

The price is $530, plus $35 for a cover. If it's not on the RE site
yet, it will be very soon.

Dave

jazzgeetar

Aug 9, 2007, 6:35:49 PM8/9/07
Who makes the speaker? Is it similar sounding to the Jensen Neodymium
speakers?
-Dan

jledbetter

Aug 9, 2007, 7:24:24 PM8/9/07
I recently played a RE S12 driven by a AI head. I thought it had more
edge (more acoustic quality) than I wanted (up close). I like playing
roundwound strings and think that might have been contributing to the
sound. Do you think one of these 8' cabs might fit my setup better?

I am playing a D'Angelico with the mounted single pup.

I am about to try theTI bebop 13's on it.

Your thoughts/suggestions

jledbetter

RickH

Aug 10, 2007, 10:33:41 AM8/10/07

Mmmm I wonder if they read my post here from last september about
wanting to build a neodymium with 1/2 inch plywood.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz/browse_thread/thread/e704c449e1c5cb8b/894d525fcd55f1fe?lnk=gst&q=neodymium+rickH+inch&rnum=2#894d525fcd55f1fe

I like to think that manufacturers do read these groups to glean
opportunities for products.

tomb...@jhu.edu

Aug 10, 2007, 12:22:11 PM8/10/07
On Aug 9, 2:13 pm, dcs...@swbell.net wrote:

How much does it weigh?

ott...@hotmail.com

Aug 10, 2007, 4:40:34 PM8/10/07

> How much does it weigh?

New! Raezer's Edge Twin 8 Light Weight Cabinet.

Same dimensions as our standard Twin 8 with a 300W, 4 ohm rating.
Full spectrum balanced tone. This new light weight cabinet is
constructed from 1/2" baltic birch finish grade plywood and uses
Eminence Acoustisonic high tech speakers. Fitted with recessed handle
which avoids interference with all amplifier heads. Works great with
Acoustic Image, Evans and Henriksen amplifiers. Highly recommended
for use with Fender Jazz Ultralight head. Measures 19.5" wide, 15"
tall, 10" deep and weighs in at 20 lbs! Priced identical to our
standard Twin 8 cabinet. Pictures coming soon (looks just like the
Standard Twin 8). Click HERE for informal review by Dave Stephens

tomb...@jhu.edu

Aug 10, 2007, 5:54:46 PM8/10/07

That's still pretty heavy. Not for a cab, but as a one-handed load.
I'd put it on a cart anyway. I thought the One 8 weighed about that?

ott...@hotmail.com

Aug 10, 2007, 7:49:27 PM8/10/07

> That's still pretty heavy. Not for a cab, but as a one-handed load.
> I'd put it on a cart anyway. I thought the One 8 weighed about that?

Yup, that's the weight for a One 8!
Almost the same size, looks like, but it will be more powerful because
it's 4 Ohms.
Bg

da...@redstoneaudio.com

Aug 12, 2007, 1:56:19 AM8/12/07

I have built several of these, including a superlight 10, using 1/2
inch Baltic and neo-dymium mag speakers. I can't get that
configuaration to meet my standards yet. The neo speakers are a bit
bright/brittle to my ears. I have been talking with the Eminence
engineers to try to mellow them out a bit and I may try a few custom
attempts at such. But the other problem I have had is getting enough
rigidity in the 1/2 inch walls. I can't get the freedom from feedback
and overall balance that the 3/4 baltic gives me. It's a nice concept
though, and I'll keep working on it, too. Although I am concentrating
on a superlite 10 and 12.

Check out the Eminence website spectral graphs on the neo-dymium
speakers and you'll see what I mean about "brittle" highs.

Dave

www.redstoneaudio.com

dcs...@swbell.net

Aug 15, 2007, 10:48:06 PM8/15/07
On Aug 11, 11:56 pm, d...@redstoneaudio.com wrote:

I was worried about the cab flexing, but I'm not hearing that. Dave,
you have the disadvantage of hearing the 3/4" and 1/2" side-by-side.
Listen to your 1/2" by itself and you may be more impressed.

With Jeff's latest, I felt that it weighed the same as the One 8, but
had the dynamic punch of a S12. If there's flexing, it's not bad.
Certainly not like a Polytone or other light weight cabs, that flex
and honk. Oh, it uses one of those recessed handles, like on the sides
of large PAs. That has proven very comfortable. It clears some amps
with short feet, like the Fender Ultralite.

Dave

dcs...@swbell.net

Aug 15, 2007, 10:51:33 PM8/15/07

Eminence. It's a PA-style speaker. The voicing is in the cab. (Ports
and tuning lip).