Crate Power Block revisited

da...@redstoneaudio.com

Sep 3, 2006, 11:59:38 PM9/3/06
One of my duo partners came by and tried out the Crate PB. He kept
hearing something that I couldn't. He said it sounded reminiscent of
the sympathetic vibration of a cymbal or snare, but only on some
notes. Try as I might I couldn't hear what he was talking about. He
has much younger ears than mine. A while later, however, as I was
noodling with my bare thumb, I heard something like what he described.
It is only on certain notes. Eg, the lowest note I find it on is low
B, but it is on several other notes withing the guitar range. I don't
know what it is. I did several A/B comparisons with the Ampeg
PortaBass 250 using same speakers (tried several different speakers as
well) and determined it was really coming from the Crate. It was most
noticeable to me at low volume. It's totally undetectable in a gig
setting. However, it might be detectable in a recording.

What might it be? The only thing I can think of is it may be related
to the interaction between the switching Power Supply and the
switching of the class D amp. I have no engineering experience with
Class D Amps, so I can only speculate. However, the increasing
ubiquity of this type of amplifier means that we will need to be on
the lookout for new types of unwanted sound modification, especially
those that are frequency dependent.

I still find the Crate to be an OK gigging amp, especially for the
money, but I have to withdraw my unconditional approval. And I would
not use it for recording.

dave

da...@redstoneaudio.com
www.redstoneaudio.com

overdub

Sep 7, 2006, 8:02:51 PM9/7/06
I just couldn't stand it anymore ...ordered one today to use for a backup.
I'll give my thoughts when it gets used on a few gigs.

Gregg

Gerry

Sep 8, 2006, 12:31:04 PM9/8/06
On 2006-09-07 17:02:51 -0700, "overdub" <ove...@columbus.rr.com> said:

> I just couldn't stand it anymore ...ordered one today to use for a backup.
> I'll give my thoughts when it gets used on a few gigs.

Seems the utility of this thing is size and portability. But this
could well be offset by the cabinet in use. What do you intend to use
for speakers?
--
What a day this has been, what a rare mood I'm in.

overdub

Sep 10, 2006, 10:33:47 AM9/10/06
I've got a 12" gauss built into a ported road case, 212 Fender Bandmaster
cab loaded with Pyle Drivers and I'm building a TL806 from EV builders plans
...will load it with an Eminence 12" DeltaLite. I use the early 80's Peavey
Special as my main amp and could sit the Powerblock on top if the amp ever
turns into a toaster at a gig. I'll be using a Yamaha EM100 patched through
the effects loop. All cabinets are wired 8 ohm and I don't anticipate the
need to run in stereo. Still waiting on the amp to arrive.

Gregg

Gerry

Sep 10, 2006, 1:12:42 PM9/10/06
On 2006-09-10 07:33:47 -0700, "overdub" <ove...@columbus.rr.com> said:

[ top posting corrected ]

>> Seems the utility of this thing is size and portability. But this
>> could well be offset by the cabinet in use. What do you intend to use
>> for speakers?

> I've got a 12" gauss built into a ported road case, 212 Fender Bandmaster

> cab loaded with Pyle Drivers and I'm building a TL806 from EV builders plans
> ...will load it with an Eminence 12" DeltaLite. I use the early 80's Peavey
> Special as my main amp and could sit the Powerblock on top if the amp ever
> turns into a toaster at a gig.

I'm not dead sure, but it seems to me that yours still remains, a
two-handed portage of equipment, right? I have a little cube 60 and it
weighs 32 pounds. I'd like an amp that weighte about 24. The
Powerblock weights 4.6. I figure with a bag that would bring it to 5
lbs. That leaves 19 lbs for a cabinet. I'm unsure what would be the
best selection. And in the end I still have to shlep two separate
pieces of gear.

That's why I love the *concept* of the Crate Taxi 30, which, all
included, only weighs 20 pounds. But then it's only 30 watts...

overdub

Sep 10, 2006, 1:56:42 PM9/10/06
I have a folding aluminum hand cart w/luggage straps to haul my gear. I can
make it with the guitar in one hand and the dolly in the other. I sing, so
that leaves and extra trip for the mic stand and extras. I bought the Crate
Powerblock to use only as a backup but had some extra 3/4 birch plywood
...thought I'd give the Crate its own little cab just for the fun of it.
I've always wanted to try a Cube 60 but just never got around to it ...I'm
sure it's a killer little amp. Actually, the aluminum folding cart was the
best investment I've made in years.

Gregg

Gerry

Sep 10, 2006, 2:24:13 PM9/10/06
On 2006-09-10 10:56:42 -0700, "overdub" <ove...@columbus.rr.com> said:

> Actually, the aluminum folding cart was the best investment I've made in years.

Agreed! My wife bought one for equipment on a lecture circuit that she
fortunately didn't have to attend, so I swiped it. It's made by Travel
Caddy, Inc. and is bullet-proof. Actually my Cube 60 is bungeed to the
thing and lives permanently on the cart, being moved for vacuuming or
gigs, both of which are a blue-moon rarity.

Victorrey

Sep 11, 2006, 11:07:11 AM9/11/06
Actually, in terms of toting this amp, the bag has an adjustable strap with
a piece of plastic pretending to be a shoulder pad. You can lengthen the
strap enough to throw it across your opposite shoulder and still have 2
hands free to tote stuff.. With the right speaker and some patience it can
be a very servicable tool.

As I mentioned on an earlier post I'm using an eminence tonker in a 1-12
S&S openback cabinet. I have a Tonkerlite coming which if it works for me
will reduce the cabinet weight about 7 pounds. Vic Reyes

Vic Reyes
"Gerry" <some...@sunny.calif> wrote in message

Gerry

Sep 11, 2006, 11:57:24 AM9/11/06
On 2006-09-11 08:07:11 -0700, "Victorrey" <vict...@verizon.net> said:

> As I mentioned on an earlier post I'm using an eminence tonker in a
> 1-12 S&S openback cabinet. I have a Tonkerlite coming which if it
> works for me will reduce the cabinet weight about 7 pounds.

Bringing it to a grand total of...?

Derek

Sep 11, 2006, 12:45:41 PM9/11/06

I also have a collapsable dolly. When are we going to see a
manufacturer put a stout telescoping handle and sturdy rollers on the
corner of an amp like they do with luggage?

art...@invalid.co.uk.invalid

Sep 11, 2006, 1:54:07 PM9/11/06
In message <1157993141....@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>
"Derek" <de...@ycoaoffice.com> wrote:

Matamp, UK
http://www.matamp.co.uk/ingram.htm

Arthur

--
Arthur Quinn
real-email arthur at bellacat dot com

Derek

Sep 11, 2006, 3:23:31 PM9/11/06

Nice catch Arthur, but is the amp any good?

art...@invalid.co.uk.invalid

Sep 11, 2006, 4:10:16 PM9/11/06
In message <1158002610.9...@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
"Derek" <de...@ycoaoffice.com> wrote:

> Nice catch Arthur, but is the amp any good?

Given its pedigree, it is probably excellent. Unfortunately the price
will prevent me from ever finding out for sure.

ott...@hotmail.com

Sep 11, 2006, 10:54:08 PM9/11/06
> I'm not dead sure, but it seems to me that yours still remains, a
> two-handed portage of equipment, right? I have a little cube 60 and it
> weighs 32 pounds. I'd like an amp that weighte about 24.

JazzKat, 23 Lbs. 8" Spkr, 100 Watts
<http://www.jazzkatamps.com/index.htm>

woland99

Sep 12, 2006, 9:51:37 AM9/12/06
Fender Jazzmaster Ultralite 7.5lbs - head, 17lbs - cab.

Victorrey

Sep 12, 2006, 10:01:19 AM9/12/06

> On 2006-09-11 08:07:11 -0700, "Victorrey" <vict...@verizon.net> said:
>
>> As I mentioned on an earlier post I'm using an eminence tonker in a 1-12
>> S&S openback cabinet. I have a Tonkerlite coming which if it works for
>> me will reduce the cabinet weight about 7 pounds.
>
> Bringing it to a grand total of...?

23 pounds according to the bathroom scale.

RickH

Sep 12, 2006, 1:19:27 PM9/12/06
I'm using an Eminence Delta Lite 15" and piezo horn (via a 20 ohm 20
watt safety resistor and piezo on/off switch) in a stay-at-home
cabinet, I like the rich beefy sound and the piezo adds just enough
sparkle. The cabinet is actually an old walnut console stereo
extension cabinet made in the early 1960's of art deco design that I
picked up at a garage sale for 5 bucks, bass reflex tuned for the
DeltaLite. The raw DeltaLite speaker is under 10 lbs in weight. It's
a very handsome piece of art deco funiture in our family room that has
a high wife acceptance factor with its wooden marquetry grill, and a
nice place for her flowers too.

I want to build another similar but portable cabinet out of 1/2 inch
plywood that will be very light using DeltaLite neodymium speaker and
internal pine cross brace to allow use of lighter plywood without side
vibrations. I'm also thinking of a slot back that can be easily
removed with suitcase buckles, ported on the front for bass-reflex when
the back is on, or you can remove the back for an open-back sound.
Then maybe look into a small light head like the Crate too.

jazzgeetar

Sep 12, 2006, 4:29:57 PM9/12/06
woland99 wrote:
> Fender Jazzmaster Ultralite 7.5lbs - head, 17lbs - cab.

+1 on the Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight...all 250 watts of it :)

-Dan

jdah...@uiuc.edu

Sep 13, 2006, 1:02:26 AM9/13/06

Gerry wrote:
> On 2006-09-10 07:33:47 -0700,
>
> That's why I love the *concept* of the Crate Taxi 30, which, all
> included, only weighs 20 pounds. But then it's only 30 watts...

Me too Gerry! That's why I have 2 of them for my flamenco...it's
perfect!

Jonathan

Sep 13, 2006, 4:35:18 PM9/13/06
woland99 wrote:
> Fender Jazzmaster Ultralite 7.5lbs - head, 17lbs - cab.

This seems like a really cool unit. Unfortunately, my experiences with
the newer Fender amps will probably prevent me from even considering
another one until they get their quality control act together.

Am I alone, or have others here found the newer Fender amps to be a
series of components tied together by a series of weak solder joints?

overdub

Sep 15, 2006, 6:48:00 PM9/15/06
The new Powerblock arrived last night. I got it for $143.00 incl. shipping
from Chandler guitars in Chandler AZ. I completely agree with your
assessment. I get the same exact "ghost vibrations" through every cab I've
tried at low volumes. I haven't gigged out with it yet but your review sums
up the amp nicely. I tried it with a few of my wifes basses and it actually
makes a nice little bass head. It will make a nice backup amp for me and
that's what I was looking for.

Gregg