d'angelico semihollow?

sheetsofsound

Jan 23, 2011, 7:07:05 PM1/23/11

Greger Hoel

Jan 23, 2011, 7:29:13 PM1/23/11
På Mon, 24 Jan 2011 01:07:05 +0100, skrev sheetsofsound
<jackz...@gmail.com>:

Who'd you sell the 175 to?

cjenkinsjazz

Jan 23, 2011, 7:30:51 PM1/23/11
On Jan 23, 7:07 pm, sheetsofsound <jackzuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone play one?
>
> http://liveassets.rationalpathinc.netdna-cdn.com/usercontent/gear/261...

kurt rosenwinkel did for a while, you might find some youtube clips.

Andrew DePasquale

Jan 23, 2011, 7:33:14 PM1/23/11
On Jan 23, 7:07 pm, sheetsofsound <jackzuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone play one?
>
> http://liveassets.rationalpathinc.netdna-cdn.com/usercontent/gear/261...

I played the prototype designed by Bill Comins. Nice guitar, great
neck. Very dark sounding. I think Rick Stone is using one.

sheetsofsound

Jan 23, 2011, 7:43:07 PM1/23/11

rick plays the one with the archtop tailpiece? what type of center
block do they have?

Rick Stone

Jan 23, 2011, 7:50:25 PM1/23/11
On 1/23/2011 7:07 PM, sheetsofsound wrote:
> Anyone play one?
>
> http://liveassets.rationalpathinc.netdna-cdn.com/usercontent/gear/2616414/p1_uem53at3t_so.jpg

Yeah, I've got one, but with the stairstep tailpiece. Same exact axe
otherwise. These are the ones that were redesigned by Bill Comins. I
love mine.

--
Musically Yours,
Rick Stone

sheetsofsound

Jan 23, 2011, 7:50:44 PM1/23/11
On Jan 23, 7:50 pm, Rick Stone <rickst...@rickstone.com> wrote:
> On 1/23/2011 7:07 PM, sheetsofsound wrote:
>
> > Anyone play one?
>
> >http://liveassets.rationalpathinc.netdna-cdn.com/usercontent/gear/261...

> Yeah, I've got one, but with the stairstep tailpiece.  Same exact axe
> otherwise.  These are the ones that were redesigned by Bill Comins.  I
> love mine.
>
> --
> Musically Yours,
> Rick Stone
> Website:http://www.rickstone.com
> Recordings:http://www.cdbaby.com/all/jazzand
> Videos:http://www.youtube.com/user/jazzand
> Myspace:http://www.myspace.com/rickstonemusic
> EPK:http://www.sonicbids.com/rickstone

is it true that they're very dark sounding?

Carl

Jan 23, 2011, 8:34:30 PM1/23/11
Is this a laminate semi hollow or a carved top? If laminate, how do you
think it might compare to the Sadowsky Semi-hollow- I kn ow you've demo-ed
(or maybe owned?) a Sadowsky- I've seen the video.

How do any of you guys think it might compare to a guitar like the Gibson
CS-336, a carved maple top, solid mahogany back guitar?

rpjazzguitar

Jan 23, 2011, 8:38:05 PM1/23/11
I play the EXDC with the staircase tailpiece. I think mine is the
older version -- it's the one they sold for $800 a few years ago.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=562588

It's the guitar on all the tracks from the last couple of years.

I don't think of it as dark sounding. In fact, even with the
fingerboard pickup, it gets pretty trebly if you don't roll off some
treble. The tone control seems to have more effect that on my other
humbucker guitars (L5S with PAF reissue, for exmaple).

The think I like most is that the upper register of the high E string
sings out really well on sustained notes. My L5S and a Les Paul years
before that, didnt do that. And, no amount of adjustment helped much.

sheetsofsound

Jan 23, 2011, 9:10:48 PM1/23/11

nice sounds Rogers. How does the comins designed one differ?

rpjazzguitar

Jan 24, 2011, 1:40:43 AM1/24/11
> nice sounds Rogers. How does the comins designed one differ?

I'm not sure who designed which.

The only thing I'm aware of is that the newer one can be ordered with
a stop tailpiece or the trapeze. The older one has the center block
and also has the staircase trapeze. I like it. It looks good and it
makes the guitar feel a little softer. One negative is that you have
to deflect the string further for the same pitch bend.

Otherwise it looks about the same, they both have KA pickups - I can't
tell if they're the same model. Specs seem about the same. The color
(which I have and don't like - I wish I had the natural) is the same.

Apparently, with the new line they added a single cutaway semihollow.
I've never seen one, though. If it matters, I don't have any trouble
with neck stability with the double cutaway. The guitar stays in tune
pretty well. The neck seems stable and solid.

Rick

sheetsofsound

Jan 24, 2011, 6:24:21 AM1/24/11

on another forum someone said comins did *not* design the new
d'angelicos and removed all references from d'angelico from his
website. Is the double-cut neck heavy when standing?

Nice Dan from UK

Jan 24, 2011, 6:42:12 AM1/24/11

I didn't realise they'd stopped the Japanese facility.

rpjazzguitar

Jan 24, 2011, 6:49:03 AM1/24/11
> website. Is the double-cut neck heavy when standing?- Hide quoted text -

It balances well, sitting or standing. Come to think of it, I think I
heard they made the headstock smaller on the new one. But, I've never
felt like I was holding it up with my left arm.

It's a pretty big instrument. It's on the border of a little
uncomfortable, but the thing sounds so good, I've stuck with it.

Another plus: the finish seems really hard. Not a mark on it, despite
a lot of use. I understand that it wont mellow with age, but it sounds
good now.

sheetsofsound

Jan 24, 2011, 7:17:06 AM1/24/11

it should mellow with age. poly actually breathes better than nitro

Rick Stone

Jan 24, 2011, 10:37:59 AM1/24/11

The guitar Kurt played was the one made by Vestax in Japan. It has a
block going all the way through the body (like a 335) and is an ENTIRELY
different animal than the new SS that Jack is asking about. The new
ones were redesigned for D'Angelico in NJ by luthier Bill Comins. It's
got a VERY SMALL block (about 1" thick and 4"x5" rectangle) that is
under the bridge and tailpiece ONLY and is coupled to the back with a
little "U" shaped soundpost. More acoustic sounding and great for jazz!

Rick Stone

Jan 24, 2011, 10:40:47 AM1/24/11
On 1/23/2011 7:50 PM, sheetsofsound wrote:
> On Jan 23, 7:50 pm, Rick Stone<rickst...@rickstone.com> wrote:
>> On 1/23/2011 7:07 PM, sheetsofsound wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone play one?
>>
>>> http://liveassets.rationalpathinc.netdna-cdn.com/usercontent/gear/261...
>>
>> Yeah, I've got one, but with the stairstep tailpiece. Same exact axe
>> otherwise. These are the ones that were redesigned by Bill Comins. I
>> love mine.

> is it true that they're very dark sounding?

Well, I like to roll the tone COMPLETELY off, so when played that way
they sure are. Plus I'm using .013 flat wounds and those very heavy
rounded tip Dugain picks, but that's just me (I'm ALL about the DARK).
I haven't really tried to get other sounds out of them since they're
doing EXACTLY what I want.

Rick Stone

Jan 24, 2011, 10:52:43 AM1/24/11
On 1/24/2011 6:24 AM, sheetsofsound wrote:

> on another forum someone said comins did *not* design the new
> d'angelicos and removed all references from d'angelico from his
> website. Is the double-cut neck heavy when standing?

Since I know the parties involved PERSONALLY and was their manning the
D'Angelico booth with Bill Comins at the Summer NAMM Show in Nashville,
I can assure you that whoever is saying that is full of it. But
sometime after the show, the owner let go of everybody and closed the
D'Angelico store in Redbank. I see that they still have me listed as a
D'Angelico Artist on the website http://www.dangelicoguitars.com/ But
I've heard nothing from anybody there since the NAMM Show and have no
idea what's happening with the company now. It's a shame really because
these were great instruments at a price-point (under $2k) that people
could afford. The quality of the new ones was MUCH improved over the
first ones they made in Korea (these are the ones that were getting
blasted out dirt cheap for a couple years). I really hope they get
their act back together and get Bill on board to make some more guitars.

JBAFromNY

Jan 24, 2011, 11:14:46 AM1/24/11
On Jan 23, 7:07 pm, sheetsofsound <jackzuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone play one?
>
> http://liveassets.rationalpathinc.netdna-cdn.com/usercontent/gear/261...

I played one for about 1/2 an hour in a store. I thought it was a
really nice guitar. I'd recently played a Heritage 535 (used, not
sure what year), a 339 (new), and Guild Starfire IV (early 90s) . I
liked it much better than the Guild or the Heritage. It was a close
call with the 339 (or with the many 335's I've played). I'd be very
happy owning one. But whether it's a good value or not is more
complicated. At $1800 new, these aren't a lot cheaper than 339s or the
less fancy 335s, which are likely hold resale value much better. But
strictly as a player's intstrument (not a collector or horse-trader),
it's a great axe. It's not a propitious time for me financially, but
I'm sorely tempted.

John

sheetsofsound

Jan 24, 2011, 1:12:05 PM1/24/11

did you play the one with the stop or trapeze tailpiece?

JBAFromNY

Jan 24, 2011, 1:35:50 PM1/24/11
> did you play the one with the stop or trapeze tailpiece?- Hide quoted text -

I played the trapeze.

rpjazzguitar

Jan 24, 2011, 2:36:44 PM1/24/11

Rick,

I'm trying to connect the exact model we're discussing to the review.

As I understand it, there were:

1. The first version of the Korean made EXDC.

2. A redesign of the Korean made EXDC.

3. The new single cutaway SS.

Which one was designed by Bill Comins?

Which one had the quality problems?

Which one had the smaller block?

Which one was blown out for $800?

Mine is an $800 blow-out EXDC. The only issue with quality (other than
the Halloween sunburst color) was that the nut arrived with uneven
cuts. I had a new one made. The finish is flawless, the frets feel
great. The neck is stable. The electronics have worked perfectly. The
included case is unimpressive as HSCs go (poorly fitting top with a
clasp that doesn't quite fit).

Oh, one point. There is a highly audible click if the pick touches the
pickup. I've noticed that some guitars are worse than others in this
regard. The EXDC is bad in this respect. I ended covering part of the
pickup I use with some cotton under some electrical tape. No clicking
now, but, it doesn't look great.

sheetsofsound

Jan 24, 2011, 6:51:26 PM1/24/11

that's caused by microphonics which means the pickup is not potted
properly.

Rick Stone

Jan 24, 2011, 10:17:29 PM1/24/11
On 1/24/2011 2:36 PM, rpjazzguitar wrote:
> Rick,
>
> I'm trying to connect the exact model we're discussing to the review.
>
> As I understand it, there were:
>
> 1. The first version of the Korean made EXDC.
>
> 2. A redesign of the Korean made EXDC.
>
> 3. The new single cutaway SS.
>
> Which one was designed by Bill Comins?
>
> Which one had the quality problems?
>
> Which one had the smaller block?
>
> Which one was blown out for $800?
>
> Mine is an $800 blow-out EXDC. The only issue with quality (other than
> the Halloween sunburst color) was that the nut arrived with uneven
> cuts. I had a new one made. The finish is flawless, the frets feel
> great. The neck is stable. The electronics have worked perfectly. The
> included case is unimpressive as HSCs go (poorly fitting top with a
> clasp that doesn't quite fit).
>
> Oh, one point. There is a highly audible click if the pick touches the
> pickup. I've noticed that some guitars are worse than others in this
> regard. The EXDC is bad in this respect. I ended covering part of the
> pickup I use with some cotton under some electrical tape. No clicking
> now, but, it doesn't look great.

The two semis that are on the site now are the ones Bill Comins
redesigned for them and were manufactured in 2010. The earlier ones
were the blow-outs and most were made around 2007.

lfgeetar

Jan 25, 2011, 8:18:01 AM1/25/11
There is one (the Comins redesigned model) on Ebay right now. BIN is
$1200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140502395044&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123

> EPK:http://www.sonicbids.com/rickstone- Hide quoted text -

sheetsofsound

Jan 25, 2011, 10:25:53 AM1/25/11
On Jan 25, 8:18 am, lfgeetar <l...@optonline.net> wrote:
> There is one (the Comins redesigned model) on Ebay right now.  BIN is
> $1200.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140502395044&ssPag...

Can it get the Kurt Rosenwinkel tone of the NYSSL version?

lfgeetar

Jan 25, 2011, 10:49:00 AM1/25/11
If this question was directed at me - Its not mine, and I havent
played either version. Sounds like a pretty different animal though -
the old one is 25.5" scale with a full center block versus the Comins
redesign with 25" scale and the block just under the bridge.

On Jan 25, 10:25 am, sheetsofsound <jackzuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 8:18 am, lfgeetar <l...@optonline.net> wrote:
>

> > There is one (the Comins redesigned model) on Ebay right now.  BIN is
> > $1200.
>
> >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140502395044&ssPag...
>

> Can it get the Kurt Rosenwinkel tone of the NYSSL version?- Hide quoted text -

sheetsofsound

Jan 25, 2011, 12:29:40 PM1/25/11
On Jan 25, 10:49 am, lfgeetar <l...@optonline.net> wrote:
> If this question was directed at me - Its not mine, and I havent
> played either version.  Sounds like a pretty different animal though -
> the old one is 25.5" scale with a full center block versus the Comins
> redesign with 25" scale and the block just under the bridge.

It was directed at rick but thanks for the reply.

rpjazzguitar

Jan 25, 2011, 2:51:16 PM1/25/11

From the specs on the DA site and the Hale site, it looks like the
EXDC still has a full center block.

Is it the SS that has the redesigned block?

I would assume that the less massive block makes the guitar more prone
to feedback than a full block. So, you get a more acoustic sound, but
more feedback as well. Is that right? Anyone have experience with it?

JBAFromNY

Jan 25, 2011, 3:16:23 PM1/25/11

I only played it in a store at relatively tame volume, so take this
with a grain of salt, but I don't think this will be a big problem.
The top is quite thick and doesn't seem very resonant. It does have
more in the way of acoustic tone than a a guitar with a full block,
but it's still nowhere near as resonant as a fully hollow guitar.

Rick Stone

Jan 25, 2011, 9:34:54 PM1/25/11

Sorry, I was in the studio all day. I've played and compared them both
(the Vestax made one that Kurt has and the new Comins redesign) and I
prefer the Comins. But you know this all boils down to personal taste.

Rick Stone

Jan 25, 2011, 9:36:59 PM1/25/11

Yeah, you can make it feedback if you crank it. But it's much more
feedback resistant than an archtop and has a nice full jazz tone. I
used it for about half the tunes on my new CD (the rest were played on
my 17" Comins).

JimK

Oct 18, 2012, 11:10:47 PM10/18/12
Rick, wow, fantastic playing. Will be getting at least the Fractals CD. Man I love your tone too. Do you mind saying what amp you are using and the settings? I think you posted above you put the tone on the guitar to 0 and use the Dugains with 13s, which 13s? Is it a KA handwound PAF on there, or Seymour Duncan?

Thanks man. Now that's some guitar playing. So many great players in this group.

Paul Cohn

Oct 20, 2012, 10:29:20 AM10/20/12

I play one of the ny-ss guitars. believe it's japanese made but the serial number was gone when I bought it, so don't know the exact detaills....some recordings at paulcohnmusic.com