mclaughlins guitars

esiegel

Apr 6, 2010, 8:15:41 PM4/6/10
Some good pics and authoritative comments on jm's guitars in the late
60's. from a friend on the Miles Davis Listserv.

I was looking some old pics and I saw a Tony Williams Lifetime pic
taken on stage in New York City probably during a november 1969 gig.

So I sent this picture to Ina (John McLaughlin's wife) and asked her
to ask John if this could be the same guitar the he used when
recording Bitches Brew.

I just got her answer: "yes, it is".

So now, if we have some very good expert in Fender guitars from the
sixties we can have the final answer: Mustang without vibrato bar or
Duo-Sonic (more or less the same guitar, by the way).

As far as I can see the neck has the same palette that we used to see
in post-CBS Stratocasters.

By the way I just uploaded the same Tony Williams Lifetime pic to Send
Space
(you can download it here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/i9nk07)

I uploaded two more pics where John is using the same guitar.
One of the them is a rare shot on stage with Miles Group (probably
from Ann Arbor, early 1970)

These pics can be downloaded here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9ta3ti
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0zfbmz

Please Martin, forward this post to John's list and let us know if
something more will arise.

Stay tuned

Maurizio Comandini

File 1:
File Name: McLaughlin with Miles.jpg
File Size: 190 KB
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/9ta3ti

File 2:
File Name: Tony Williams Lifetime NYC nov 1969.jpg
File Size: 436 KB
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/i9nk07

File 3:
File Name: Tony Williams Lifetime NYC nov 1969_another shot.jpg
File Size: 100 KB
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/0zfbmz

pmfan57

Apr 7, 2010, 12:49:56 AM4/7/10
On Apr 6, 8:15 pm, esiegel <esieg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some good pics and authoritative comments on jm's guitars in the late
> 60's. from a friend on the Miles Davis Listserv.
>
> I was looking some old pics and I saw a Tony Williams Lifetime pic
> taken on stage in New York City probably during a november 1969 gig.
>
> So I sent this picture to Ina (John McLaughlin's wife) and asked her
> to ask John if this could be the same guitar the he used when
> recording Bitches Brew.
>
> I just got her answer: "yes, it is".
>
> So now, if we have some very good expert in Fender guitars from the
> sixties we can have the final answer: Mustang without vibrato bar or
> Duo-Sonic (more or less the same guitar, by the way).
>
> As far as I can see the neck has the same palette that we used to see
> in post-CBS Stratocasters.
>
> By the way I just uploaded the same Tony Williams Lifetime pic to Send
> Space
> (you can download it here:http://www.sendspace.com/file/i9nk07)
>
> I uploaded two more pics where John is using the same guitar.
> One of the them is a rare shot on stage with Miles Group (probably
> from Ann Arbor, early 1970)
>
> These  pics can be downloaded here:http://www.sendspace.com/file/9ta3tihttp://www.sendspace.com/file/0zfbmz

> Please Martin, forward this post to John's list and let us know if
> something more will arise.
>
> Stay tuned
>
> Maurizio Comandini
>
> File 1:
> File Name: McLaughlin with Miles.jpg
> File Size: 190 KB
> Download Link:http://www.sendspace.com/file/9ta3ti
>
> File 2:
> File Name: Tony Williams Lifetime NYC nov 1969.jpg
> File Size: 436 KB
> Download Link:http://www.sendspace.com/file/i9nk07
>
> File 3:
> File Name: Tony Williams Lifetime NYC nov 1969_another shot.jpg
> File Size: 100 KB
> Download Link:http://www.sendspace.com/file/0zfbmz

I thought JM played a Fender Mustang on Things We Like by Jack Bruce.