Buscarino CHAMELEON?

OriVentura

Oct 9, 2008, 5:48:01 PM10/9/08
Not a guitar, but a speaker! Anyone had a chance to try one?
I wonder how it compares with RE.

www.chameleonspeakers.com

Maj6th

Oct 9, 2008, 6:01:11 PM10/9/08
It is $800.00, quite high for a speaker.

Maj6th

"OriVentura" <OriVe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

ott...@hotmail.com

Oct 9, 2008, 6:46:41 PM10/9/08
On Oct 9, 3:01 pm, "Maj6th" <maj...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> It is $800.00, quite high for a speaker.
>
> Maj6th

It's an extended range Cab, and the RE NY8 ER is around $730, so it
doen't seem to far out, if it's really good.

Bg

Nate Najar

Oct 9, 2008, 6:55:38 PM10/9/08

hey, he finally got the website up. I've been using one for the past
3 months. I love it. John had been telling me about this thing for
about 2 years now and when he finally got them together the way he
wanted, he sent me one to try out. $800 is expensive, that's for
sure, but i'll tell you, for what you get, there's nothing else like
it. so the question becomes, do you need what it offers?

Many of you know I was one of the first guys to use the Redstone Audio
cabinets and i endorse them. i won my Redstone in a raffle and didn't
pay for it. But i would be willing to pay for it- the Redstone is a
great cabinet. I just had someone email me today about the Redstone
to ask what cabinet he should get. I'm going to suggest he stick with
the Redstone and get the 8 or the 8 er, depending on what amp he
uses. he's primarily an archtop player who occasionally uses an
acoustic with piezo. i think the Redstone is the best value for that-
it sounds perfect to me for archtop and very good with acoustic,
because it's very flat and neutral sounding. The Redstone does not
have a lot of high end since it does not have a tweeter. They offer
an ER version with a tweeter and an l-pad but I have not used it. I
don't generally like the tweeter on a piezo pickup anyway because it's
too bright and not natural. If you use a clarus, you can fix that
though. The "brite" knob on the clarus does nothing with a standard
cabinet (too high for the speaker), but with a tweeter, it's your
scratchy high knob. so turn the brite almost all the way, but not
quite, and too taste. there's your acoustic-ness poking through.

So what does the Buscarino offer the Redstone does not and is it worth
the extra money? well, the Buscarino is rugged, as is the Redstone.
no winner there. The Buscarino is so expensive because it's very
expensive to produce. the crossover system allows you to shut off the
tweeter completely, but keep the ohmage the same. so it truly is a
single woofer or a full range cab. that costs money in circuitry, and
it's not cheap stuff. the Redstone uses a standard lpad which
attenuates the tweeter signal. very effective and fine for most
applications. The Buscarino also has a time aligned tweeter built
into the center of the woofer. the Redstone (and RE ER cabs i should
mention) both have a regular tweeter. can you hear the difference?
can anyone? well it's just what it is. I've played the Redstone at
high volumes for jazz gigs and had zero problem. always sounded
great. so I cannot imagine blowing a speakers, but, knowing what's
inside, I also know it must be possible to blow it. The Buscarino has
a unique type of speaker protection system that pretty much makes it
impossible to blow this speaker. I'm serious. they tested it with a
100 watt marshall dimed and it didn't blow. that circuitry costs
money. the Buscarino is expensive but it's a precision engineered
thing with expensive components.

how does it sound? great. i play mostly nylon string acoustic and a
little archtop and electric. so i keep it in acoustic mode most of
the time. Like I said, on my clarus i have the brite almost totally
off, but just a little in there to give it a bit of crispness. The
cab reminds me of and EAW sound reinforcement speaker. it even kind
of looks like one. meaning, it really is a high end PA type cab in a
small size. and it has the taller feet in the front for a natural
tilt, and a nice recessed handle on top. and a cup mount on the
bottom for a pole. a pair of these would make an awesome pa system
for smaller gigs. like i said, you cannot blow it up.

flip the switch to electric mode and it's a very fat and full sounding
electric cab. tube amps sound good through it, clarus sounds good
through it, and even a rat pedal sounds good with a solidbody! and
with a modeler (boss gt10 or axe fx, pod, etc...) it really sounds
good. The chameleon really is a highly versatile speaker that handles
any chore you might have for a speaker, and does each one as if it
were its only purpose.

to be honest, i did have to pay for my Buscarino when i decided to
keep it. If the Redstone i already owned was an ER i may or may not
have done so, i may have said "John, your speaker sounds really great"
and sent it back. and it would have been cheaper to just buy a
redstone ER cab at that time, but i already had the Buscarino in my
posession and it did sound really good and i could see using it for a
few other purposes so i kept it.

so now i have 2 cabs ;) I love the Redstone, and i'll tell you, for
most straight guitar playing applications (acoustic and electric) i
would recommend it. it's a great value in a well engineered and great
sounding speaker. Up until the Redstone came out i didn't like any
cabinet available (i don't like RE and I've had all of them). I like
the Buscarino for different reasons and purposes. if you play only
archtop, i say try the Redstone and be happy. If you play mostly
archtop and a little acoustic, try the Redstone and Buscarino and see
if the extra cost is worth the extra performance to you. If you play
a lot of acoustic and a little archtop, also try both and see what you
prefer. and if you play both acoustic and archtop, use modelers and
occasionally use a PA, spring for the Buscarino.

I know this is long and no one asked for a comparison, but i have said
a lot of great things about Redstone on this board and i stick by what
I said because it's a great cab, but i didn't want anyone to think i
was just chasing the next thing out there and saying it's the next
greatest thing. Plus it gives you a point of reference.

Norm K

Oct 10, 2008, 12:16:31 AM10/10/08
On Oct 9, 3:55 pm, Nate Najar <n...@natenajar.com> wrote:
> On Oct 9, 5:48 pm, OriVentura <OriVent...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i won my Redstone in a raffle and didn't
> pay for it.

!!!! I'm happy if I win a delicious jello mold in raffles. You won
a friggin' Redstone speaker?!? Way to go!

Norm

ts...@hotmail.com

Oct 10, 2008, 12:44:51 AM10/10/08

Thanks for the review Nate, I was also a little curious about John's
new speaker system for several reasons.
At the moment I am trying to get my L-5 signature with humbucker
pickups to achieve a Martin taylor tone as well as the typical Wes
type tone that it produces. I typically have to use both sounds on a
few gigs that I am currently doing . At the same time I want to be
able to use the same set up for a Godin solid body nylon that I have.
I've been using the Clarus , and a Hendriksen amp as the power section
and finding that both work well. Obtaining the bright , yet clear
tone , that Martin Taylor or Tuck Andress achieves is not difficult ,
the problem is ,surprisingly, getting back to the Wes ( darker tone)
immediately afterwards. Maybe I need a new set of ears , ( or a new
brain) as all of a sudden the "wes" tone is often too dark , too boxy
sounding, with too much of a nasal quality to it.

It might be the way the speakers are responding. At the moment I am
using a RE 10ER- RE-12ER and an expermental twin 8 ER cabinet that
Rich made during our early ER speaker development days . Most recently
I've included a Redstone ER with tweeter .By and large all the
cabinets sound pretty good at home, but for me the acid test is on the
gig , where I have to interact with other instruments.
The adjustable L-pad for the tweeter control was put in place on the
RE cabinets deliberately , despite some of the known faults of that
type of device, basically it is there to allow users to dial in the
amount of "high end" they wanted, to suit each gtr respectively. Its
great to see that John has taken this to the next level, and perhaps
has been able to build the better "mousetrap".I am eager to try this
spk out too.
Skip