John Pearse is gone

Wade Hampton Miller

Oct 31, 2008, 5:14:33 AM10/31/08
John Pearse was one of the true geniuses I've had the great good
fortune to know. John died late last night at a medical facility near
his home in Besigheim, Germany. John left behind his wife Linda, his
adopted son, and his former wife and longtime business partner Mary
Faith Rhoads.

John Pearse was more than just a genius, more than just a charming
man, more than just a terrific musician - he was a true friend and
mentor to me and many others.

John had been ill for some time now, bedridden and in the hospital.
But he somehow rallied, time after time. It's still hard to believe
that he didn't quite rally this time around, he didn't make back from
the brink as he had before.

Logically, of course, I knew John's death had to happen sooner or
later. But emotionally it's as though I've been kicked in the solar
plexus, and can't quite recover my breath, or believe that it's really
happened...

I can't begin to tell you how often John made a difference in my life,
or how much I learned from him. Unless he was away from home, off
gallavanting at a trade show, I could always get him on the phone, and
we'd talk guitars and string alloys and delve endlessly into the
musical minutia that delighted us both.

John really enjoyed this newsgroup, by the way, though sometimes in
those phone calls he had some acerbic things to say about the behavior
on display! But he was always charitable, if not necessarily
diplomatic, and his good humor shone through everything he said and
did.

It was an honor and a privilege to have known him. It enriched my
life and my spirit simply to have been able to rely on him as a
friend.

When I have more details about the memorial services, I'll post them.

Wade Hampton Miller
Chugiak, Alaska

David Kilpatrick

Oct 31, 2008, 5:28:39 AM10/31/08
Wade, thank you for the words about John.

I hope that the UK media by some means manage to remember him as he had
countless friends, but was absent from these shores for so long.

David

Mike Brown

Oct 31, 2008, 6:09:33 AM10/31/08

Bugger.

Another good friend gone.

That's the way I feel even though I have never met John.

His music, his advice (from time to time) and his strings (of course)
are part of my life.

I will think of him every time I pick up one of my guitars with his
strings on it.

And that's all of them.

My heartfelt condolences to his family, and to all of those good people
at Breezy Ridge.

MJRB

Chuck

Oct 31, 2008, 6:14:48 AM10/31/08
Wade - please know John, his family and close friends have my deepest
sympathy. The world has lost a good man in body but has an inspiration
for a lifetime. I'll be thinking of you and John today. One can only
be hopeful to find and have true friendship as you and John.

Chuck

George's Pro Sound Company

Oct 31, 2008, 6:26:08 AM10/31/08

"Wade Hampton Miller" <WadeIn...@aol.com> wrote in message

> John Pearse was one of the true geniuses

My heart goes out to all that have known and loved him
we only had slight interaction, yet I deeplyrespected all he added to this
world
peace
George

Ed Edelenbos

Oct 31, 2008, 6:55:33 AM10/31/08

"Wade Hampton Miller" <WadeIn...@aol.com> wrote in message

Damn.

Ed

anyt...@contractorcom.com

Oct 31, 2008, 8:16:23 AM10/31/08
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 06:55:33 -0400, "Ed Edelenbos"
<ed...@spookeasy.net> wrote:

>Damn.
>
>Ed

My feelings exactly. I hope the company carries on - Pierce's strings
are really something.

What he was like as a man I have no idea but I've used his strings for
about 18 years, which means he's made big contribution to my life.

Changing strings (for me, at any rate) is a pleasurable ritual. When
you think a guitar needs restringing you think 'Jeez, what a bore'.
Then, when the strings are off, and you clean up the neck, and have a
chance to feel it without strings and gunk - the feel of a guitar
neck unstrung is sensual - running one's fingers over an unstrung neck
and really touching the bare wood and frets is highly pleasurable - it
takes one closer to the instrument which provides both entertainment
and intellectual stimulus. Give the body a bit of a polish, look at
it, take pleasure in the wood and the craftsmanship that went into
making it into a guitar, and then carefully put on a set of new
strings which you know will make it sing..it's an intimate
relationship.

So Goodbye John, I hope it's not goodbye to your strings.

ete

don hindenach

Oct 31, 2008, 8:17:12 AM10/31/08
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:14:33 UTC, Wade Hampton Miller <WadeIn...@aol.com>
wrote:

> John Pearse was one of the true geniuses I've had the great good
> fortune to know. John died late last night at a medical facility near
> his home in Besigheim, Germany. John left behind his wife Linda, his
> adopted son, and his former wife and longtime business partner Mary
> Faith Rhoads.
>
> John Pearse was more than just a genius, more than just a charming
> man, more than just a terrific musician - he was a true friend and
> mentor to me and many others.

> <snip>

Thank you for this, Wade.

I will always remember John fondly.

--
-donh-
donh at audiosys dot com

John Sorell

Oct 31, 2008, 9:21:00 AM10/31/08
Very sad day!

John

Larry Pattis

Oct 31, 2008, 9:30:05 AM10/31/08
In article
<86b3e4c8-b9bc-4c19...@i18g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

Wade Hampton Miller <WadeIn...@aol.com> wrote:

Sigh.

John was always supportive of my music & career, despite my not using
his strings...

I also feel honored to have known this man, and his passing leaves us
one more good-man short in this world.

You'll see his picture under "gentleman" in the dictionary.

--
Larry Pattis
email: LP "at" LarryPattis "dot" com

Bill Chandler

Oct 31, 2008, 9:41:42 AM10/31/08
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 02:14:33 -0700 (PDT), Wade Hampton Miller
<WadeIn...@aol.com> brewed up the following, and served it to the
group:

Ah, so it goes. This is saddening, if not unexpected. I hope his
family was with him at the end.

John, we'll miss you. You were one of the greats. This newsgroup and
this world are lesser places for your absence.

-----
VITA BREVIS
CARPE GUITARUM

the above e-mail address remains totally fictional.
the real one is bc9424 AT gmailspamTHIS! D0T com (if you remove spamTHIS!)
...please check out my music at http://www.soundclick.com/billchandler some time...
...TX-2 Pictures at http://www.concentric.net/~Bc9424/index.html
...TX-4 Pictures at http://bc9424.cnc.net/tx_4_web/tx4_main.htm
...TX-5 Pictures coming Real Soon Now.
Bill Chandler
...bc...

TimW

Oct 31, 2008, 9:43:32 AM10/31/08
Thanks Wade for letting us know. Losing a close freind is devestating will
keep you in our thoughts and let John's family know we're thinking of them.
I met John several times at trade shows... He was truly one of the "good
guys"...

He'll be missed!

--
TimW
Remove SPAMFROMTHECAN to reply...

Paul L

Oct 31, 2008, 9:46:11 AM10/31/08

Our community has suffered a great loss.

Rest In Peace

Paul

felangey

Oct 31, 2008, 9:46:44 AM10/31/08
Thanks for letting us know Wade.

I only chatted to John a couple of times...but without doubt he was a
standout guy. I loved how he always had a hundred new ideas he wanted to
find some quiet time to work on.

John you will be greatly missed. Going to drink some red in your honour!
Rest easy.

Tony Weber

Oct 31, 2008, 10:01:10 AM10/31/08

I'm sory to hear this, Wade. He was a hell of a guy.

take c

curly'q

Oct 31, 2008, 10:04:15 AM10/31/08

accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem,
pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently,
die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein

thumper

Oct 31, 2008, 10:16:17 AM10/31/08

Oh no, I am so sorry to read this.

Wade and others here who know him well, I'm very sorry for your loss,
and for his family as well.

Take care,
Lisa

Ray Boyce

Oct 31, 2008, 10:21:44 AM10/31/08

"Wade Hampton Miller" <WadeIn...@aol.com> wrote in message

So terribly saddened to hear this...

For some reason, he kept coming to mind all day yesterday and I was going to
write and ask, Wade.

I didn't know him, other than online... but I had great admiration for him.

Thanks for letting us know.

~ray

Bill Chandler

Oct 31, 2008, 10:21:08 AM10/31/08
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:04:15 -0500, curly'q <ma...@gug.com> brewed up

the following, and served it to the group:

Sounds a LOT like Mr. Pearse.

Condolences to family and friends. Wade, thanks for letting us know.

--------
"The secret of being miserable is to have the leisure to bother about whether you are happy or not. The cure is occupation." -- George Bernard Shaw

the above e-mail address remains totally fictional.
the real one is bc9424 AT gmailspamTHIS! D0T com (if you remove spamTHIS!)
...please check out my music at http://www.soundclick.com/billchandler some time...

Bill Chandler
...bc...

Fred Pierce

Oct 31, 2008, 10:31:01 AM10/31/08

Even though he spelled it wrong, I was proud to have the same last
name.

Thanks for letting us know, Wade.

fdp

--------------------------------------
Fred Pierce - avialantic.com

Steven Bornfeld

Oct 31, 2008, 10:42:25 AM10/31/08

Sad to hear.

Steve

Mike Pearce

Oct 31, 2008, 11:09:10 AM10/31/08

"Fred Pierce" wrote in message

> Wade Hampton Miller wrote:
>
>>John Pearse was one of the true geniuses I've had the great good
>>fortune to know. John died late last night at a medical facility
>>near
>>his home in Besigheim, Germany. John left behind his wife Linda,
>>his
>>adopted son, and his former wife and longtime business partner Mary
>>Faith Rhoads.
>>

> Even though he spelled it wrong, I was proud to have the same last
> name.
>
> Thanks for letting us know, Wade.
>
> fdp
>
> --------------------------------------
> Fred Pierce - avialantic.com

You both spell your names wrong, but you are in the right ballpark.

John will be missed.

-Mike Pearce

rguitar...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2008, 11:08:59 AM10/31/08
Thanks for sharing the news and stories. I have only just started
using his strings on my Froggy. I've heard so many great
recommendations about his products from a lot of musicians.

My condolences to all who knew the man personally.
Robert

Shy Picker

Oct 31, 2008, 11:50:42 AM10/31/08

My condolences to all the friends and family of John Pearse. May he
rest in peace.

David

Misifus

Oct 31, 2008, 11:55:03 AM10/31/08

May he rest in peace, and may light perpetual shine upon him.

I don't know what else to say, the world is certainly poorer for his
loss, as are we. It's only been a few months since he posted here last.

-Raf

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

Bob Dorgan

Oct 31, 2008, 11:56:12 AM10/31/08
RIP, John.

To John's family and friends, my condolences.

He certainly seemed like a good man.

dorgan

kol_isha

Oct 31, 2008, 12:50:37 PM10/31/08

"Wade Hampton Miller" <WadeIn...@aol.com> wrote in message

> John Pearse was one of the true geniuses I've had the great good
> fortune to know. John died late last night at a medical facility near
> his home in Besigheim, Germany. John left behind his wife Linda, his
> adopted son, and his former wife and longtime business partner Mary
> Faith Rhoads.

I did not know John, and had no contact with him. But I have only heard
good things about him. And so... more sadness. Death takes another good
guy. My condolences to his family and friends.

Best,

Arlene

Sherm

Oct 31, 2008, 1:52:44 PM10/31/08
<WadeIn...@aol.com> wrote:

>John Pearse was ....

Thanks for posting, Wade. Sorry you lost your friend, my friend.

Jeff
(I'm looking at my 1972 JP Chord Dictionary here right now aamof.)

Sherm

Oct 31, 2008, 1:59:02 PM10/31/08

>He certainly seemed like a good man.

Yeah, and also a very cool dude all around. Quite an impact on the
guitar world, eh?
Sherm

Norman Draper

Oct 31, 2008, 1:05:25 PM10/31/08
On Oct 31, 5:14 am, Wade Hampton Miller <WadeInChug...@aol.com> wrote:
> John Pearse was one of the true geniuses I've had the great good
> fortune to know.  John died late last night at a medical facility near
> his home in Besigheim, Germany.  John left behind his wife Linda, his
> adopted son, and his former wife and longtime business partner Mary
> Faith Rhoads.

Wade,

Thank you for posting this. My thoughts and condolences are with
John's family.

What a sad day....

I'm getting out the guitar I got from John.....

Norman Draper

Jenn

Oct 31, 2008, 1:08:27 PM10/31/08
In article
<c576a0b9-2d23-4bda...@w24g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
Norman Draper <norman...@verizon.net> wrote:

A sad day indeed. My best wishes to all who knew him

I met him a couple of times at NAMM. He seemed like such a nice man.

Jenn

JS

Oct 31, 2008, 1:48:01 PM10/31/08
On Oct 31, 6:30 am, Larry Pattis <NeverH...@spam.invalid> wrote:

> You'll see his picture under "gentleman" in the dictionary.

See also" "Mad genius inventor".

What a guy.

Tom from Texas

Oct 31, 2008, 4:15:51 PM10/31/08
John Pearse: musical pioneer, innovator, and inventor..... one hell of a
nice gent and gracious enough to put up with me once in a while.

Privileged to have had conversation and instant messaging with him that I'll
long remember. The song book I bought of his early music and the CD he sent
me will be displayed in my music room and I'll be singing the blues tonight.

So long, John Pearse, it was a wild strange trip and I hope yall enjoyed
every minute. May ye be in heaven for a week and a day before the devil
knows yer dead.

--
Tom from Texas
(The Tom Risner Fund for Deserving North Texas Guitarplayers is not liable

Rick Ruskin

Oct 31, 2008, 4:50:59 PM10/31/08
It is always sad when a respected member of the music/guitar community
passes away.

RR

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/rickruskin

Bill Chandler

Oct 31, 2008, 5:22:31 PM10/31/08
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 02:14:33 -0700 (PDT), Wade Hampton Miller
<WadeIn...@aol.com> brewed up the following, and served it to the
group:

>John Pearse was one of the true geniuses I've had the great good

I'm reminded of a poem/song from Stephen R. Donaldson's work...it has
come to mind with the several passings we've seen recently. I found
it, and I hope it's OK that I repost it here, with attribution:

My heart has rooms that sigh with dust
And ashes in the hearth.
They must be cleaned and blown away
By daylight’s breath.
But I cannot essay the task,
For even dust to me is dear;
For dust and ashes still recall,
My love was here.

I know not how to say Farewell,
When Farewell is the word
That stays alone for me to say
Or will be heard.
But I cannot speak out that word
Or ever let my loved one go:
How can I bear it that these rooms
Are empty so?

I sit among the dust and hope
That dust will cover me.
I stir the ashes in the hearth,
Though cold they be.
I cannot bear to close the door,
To seal my loneliness away
While dust and ashes yet remain
Of my love’s day.

--Stephen R. Donaldson, 1977
White Gold Wielder, Chapter 7 – Physician’s Plight
--------
... -But I received the operational signal again!

hank alrich

Oct 31, 2008, 6:25:11 PM10/31/08
Fred Pierce <li...@avialantic.com> wrote:

> Even though he spelled it wrong, I was proud to have the same last
> name.

John produced Luke Wilson's first album, long ago. Luke says John would
tell folks his last name was "Pee-Arse" to point 'em at the correct
spelling.

RIP John, and thanks for the strings. They really are different, and I
really do appreciate them.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar

Don Mackie

Oct 31, 2008, 8:16:35 PM10/31/08
RIP John, you inspired me to practice years ago.

chaya

Oct 31, 2008, 9:13:35 PM10/31/08
Nope. John Pearse's body make be dead, but John will never be gone.

When I got home just now & saw a message from Colin with the simple
title "John Pearse," I didn't want to open it. If I opened it, it
would be true. Another friend gone.

I only met John twice, but once was more than enough to know that
there was a very special very unique man. Nope. Not gone - not ever.

csj

Bob Alman

Oct 31, 2008, 9:28:03 PM10/31/08
:(

I knew this was coming, but I was hoping not for a
while. I liked John, I use his strings, and I am
glad I got to know him here, and in private
emails.

I'll miss him. My heart goes out to his family
and friends.

--
Bob Alman

Joe Jordan

Oct 31, 2008, 11:56:07 PM10/31/08
On 01 Nov 2008 01:28:03 GMT, Bob Alman <g...@sonic.net>
wrote:

For once, you're not full of shit, Alman.

RIP, John.

Joe
______________________

Joe Jordan
Starkville, Mississippi

<<<SPAM TRAP: To email me at this address, include RMMGA anywhere in the subject!>>>

Kevin Hall

Nov 1, 2008, 12:01:46 AM11/1/08
I'm sorry to hear that, Wade. For his sake though, I'm not sorry to hear
his struggles are over.

All the best,
KH

Chris Stern

Nov 1, 2008, 7:43:52 AM11/1/08
A very very sad day.

I never met John but we talked on the phone and enjoyed reminiscing about
our roots in East Yorkshire, John from Goole just 25 miles or so from Hull
where I was born. It is not an exaggeration to say and mean that the world
will not be the same without him.

Chris

Larry Pattis

Nov 1, 2008, 9:51:36 AM11/1/08
In article
<883d810a-5f58-42a8...@b31g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
chaya <ch...@san.rr.com> wrote:

Indeed.

--
Larry Pattis
email: LP "at" LarryPattis "dot" com
http://www.LarryPattis.com

David Hajicek

Nov 1, 2008, 12:47:48 PM11/1/08
That's really sad. I'm sorry to see him go. As everybody says, he was a
good and kind man.

Wade and Larry, thanks for letting us know.

Dave Hajicek

"Larry Pattis" <Neve...@spam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article
> <86b3e4c8-b9bc-4c19...@i18g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

> Sigh.
>
> John was always supportive of my music & career, despite my not using
> his strings...
>
> I also feel honored to have known this man, and his passing leaves us
> one more good-man short in this world.

> You'll see his picture under "gentleman" in the dictionary.

Larry Pattis

Nov 1, 2008, 1:36:44 PM11/1/08
In article <L_6dnQKtV57cFZHU...@skypoint.com>, David
Hajicek <haj...@skypoint.com> wrote:

> That's really sad. I'm sorry to see him go. As everybody says, he was a
> good and kind man.
>
> Wade and Larry, thanks for letting us know.
>
> Dave Hajicek

Please let's just thank Wade for keeping us up-to-date with Mr.
Pearse's last public details....I was just adding my voice to the large
chorus of friends and fans of this music industry icon.

...and we can all honor the memory of a good man together.

...and I agree with Susan...he has perhaps physically left this world,
but he is not gone. Not at all.
.

Larry Brown

Nov 1, 2008, 6:30:45 PM11/1/08

What a fine tribute to a man you so obviously loved and admired,
Wade.
My condolences to his family and to you and everyone else here who
knew Mr. Pearse personally.

Larry Brown

Steve

Nov 1, 2008, 9:50:56 PM11/1/08

Wade, thanks for keeping us up to date on John's condition and health
over the last few months.

I did not know John, but am a dedicated user of his strings, which are
excellent. My condolences prayers to his family and friends. From the
outpouring of responses to the news of his passing, I know that he was a
fine man, and he will surely be missed.

--Steve (not Chuck!)

G.G. Willikers

Nov 1, 2008, 10:14:54 PM11/1/08
anyt...@contractorcom.com wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 06:55:33 -0400, "Ed Edelenbos"
> <ed...@spookeasy.net> wrote:
>

>> Damn.
>>
>> Ed
>
> My feelings exactly. I hope the company carries on - Pierce's strings
> are really something.
>
> What he was like as a man I have no idea but I've used his strings for
> about 18 years, which means he's made big contribution to my life.
>
> Changing strings (for me, at any rate) is a pleasurable ritual. When
> you think a guitar needs restringing you think 'Jeez, what a bore'.
> Then, when the strings are off, and you clean up the neck, and have a
> chance to feel it without strings and gunk - the feel of a guitar
> neck unstrung is sensual - running one's fingers over an unstrung neck
> and really touching the bare wood and frets is highly pleasurable - it
> takes one closer to the instrument which provides both entertainment
> and intellectual stimulus. Give the body a bit of a polish, look at
> it, take pleasure in the wood and the craftsmanship that went into
> making it into a guitar, and then carefully put on a set of new
> strings which you know will make it sing..it's an intimate
> relationship.
>
> So Goodbye John, I hope it's not goodbye to your strings.

As an aside. I recently decided to try out John Pierce strings (based
entirely upon the reviews of this group).
Unfortunately The A string snapped as I was stringing it up ( right at
the bridge pin).
Rather than go back to guitar center (not my favorite store), I
emailed the JP company directly.
Mary Faith emailed me back in less than 12 hours and had a new set of
strings sent to my house in less than 3 days.
In return I sent them the broken string so they could find out what
happened to cause the break.

All I can say is that a company that is that personal and that concerned
with the customers satisfaction, reflects greatly on the person it is
named after.

I didn't John Pierce, but I am certain that a special kind of person
has passed on, my sincerest sympathies to his family and friends.

--
Jon in oHIo

G.G. Willikers

Nov 1, 2008, 10:23:06 PM11/1/08
I know I don't know how to spell Pearse either...(SHRUG)

--
The RIGHT REVEREND G.G. WILLIKERS

Bill Chandler

Nov 1, 2008, 10:49:38 PM11/1/08
On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 22:14:54 -0400, "G.G. Willikers"
<no...@youknow.com> brewed up the following, and served it to the
group:

<snip>

>As an aside. I recently decided to try out John Pierce strings (based
>entirely upon the reviews of this group).
> Unfortunately The A string snapped as I was stringing it up ( right at
>the bridge pin).
> Rather than go back to guitar center (not my favorite store), I
>emailed the JP company directly.
> Mary Faith emailed me back in less than 12 hours and had a new set of
>strings sent to my house in less than 3 days.
>In return I sent them the broken string so they could find out what
>happened to cause the break.
>
>All I can say is that a company that is that personal and that concerned
>with the customers satisfaction, reflects greatly on the person it is
>named after.
>
> I didn't John Pierce, but I am certain that a special kind of person
>has passed on, my sincerest sympathies to his family and friends.

Jon--I had a similar experience with JP Strings, and Mary Faith in
particular, several years ago. I'd been using Pearse strings for a
while; picked up a new set for my 12-string, and the high G snapped as
I was putting it on. (Not an unusual experience, for me; I guess I
was used to using lamer strings...hasn't happened since...). I
mentioned it in an email (on another subject, IIRC...just as an aside)
and Mary Faith emailed me back quicker than immediately, asking my
snail mail address. She sent me 3 or 4 replacement .010 strings (of
which I still have one--and the others have been given to friends and
family members as strings have broken on other guitars...).

I truly hope that John's strings and his gizmos live on. He gave so
much to the world of guitaring, and music in general...people like
John Pearse should be immortal, dammit...thanks for everything, John.
I only knew you through the group, and some truly wonderful email
exchanges, and always hoped to meet you in person.

Wade, thanks so much for the post. My condolences to you, and to all
of John's family and friends. We've lost a true giant in the world of
music, and just the world of damned fine human beings.

Bill (babbling again) Chandler
--------
Is er ook een afkickcentrum voor mailjunks?

betsey

Nov 2, 2008, 8:05:01 AM11/2/08

i'm so sorry.

j...@mccrain.net

Nov 3, 2008, 2:02:28 AM11/3/08
On Oct 31, 3:14 am, Wade Hampton Miller <WadeInChug...@aol.com> wrote:

> ...  John died late last night at a medical facility near

> his home in Besigheim, Germany.

Wade, Thanks for letting us know. I never met John in person, but we
"talked" over the internet for a couple of years. He once sent me a
copy of his first public performance after his accident, many years
ago. It was great to hear him play, and I could "feel" his passion
for music coming through the performances.

The guitar world has lost a good friend. We will miss him.

Jim McCrain