Google Grupper støtter ikke lenger nye Usenet-innlegg eller -abonnementer. Historisk innhold er fortsatt synlig.

Ping - John Pearse re Gold Tone Weissenborns

Sett 0 ganger
Hopp til første uleste melding

Tony Done

ulest,
19. nov. 2004, 15:12:5419.11.2004
til
Hi John,

The Gold Tone Weissenborns have just appeared in the Elderly catalog. The SM
model has brought on a major gas attack. Do they have the original bracing
pattern?

Thanks.

Tony D

Johnpearsede

ulest,
20. nov. 2004, 13:00:4120.11.2004
til
Yes, they do have the old pre-war bracing.
They are great instruments! I have been too busy to build Weissenborns, what
with the move to Germany and everything that came with it, so I licensed Gold
Tone to make a number of different entry-level Weissenborn models.
Knowing Wayne's penchant for quality I expected some great instruments, but
these guitars are even better than I had anticipated. They sound just like the
pre-war models...and they are astounding value for money.
At some time in the future I shall probably be making some top-of-the-line
models (koa with abalone, etc.) but I truthfully do not expect them to sound
any better than these. They really capture that old Weissenborn mojo.
John Pearse.

foldedpath

ulest,
20. nov. 2004, 13:12:3020.11.2004
til
johnpe...@aol.com (Johnpearsede) wrote in

Hi John,

I notice Elderly has both the mahogany and spruce-topped versions. I
haven't heard many Weissenborns other than the old, original koa versions.
Would the mahogany-topped version be closest to that sound (I'm guessing)?

What does the spruce-topped version sound like, in comparison?

Which version would you recommend for someone getting their first
Weissenborn-type guitar? I'd like to add something like this to my
collection of instruments of sonic destruction... maybe not right away, but
after I pay off the new nylon string, maybe. It would probably get a
Sunrise pickup and be played in the David Lindley style, not so much for
traditional Hawaiian music.

--
Mike Barrs

Tony Done

ulest,
20. nov. 2004, 16:31:4920.11.2004
til
Thanks John.

Re Koa - I have a Gibson prototype kona in mahogany (a killer), and having
also played a few standard guitars (inc prewar Martin hawaiians) in all-koa,
my first choice would be mahogany. I know it isn't traditional, but I like
the sweet tone, light weight and responsiveness. If I was spending a lot of
money on a weisenborn or kona, it would be quilted mahogany.

I don't suppose you have thought of doing a kona?

Tony D

"Johnpearsede" <johnpe...@aol.com> wrote in message

Johnpearsede

ulest,
21. nov. 2004, 04:12:4721.11.2004
til
The mahogany model's sound is closest to the old 'Borns, however I find the
spruce-topped model the most versatile in the studio. It can be sweet as a nut
or downright nasty, depending on how you play it.
John Pearse.

Johnpearsede

ulest,
21. nov. 2004, 04:16:3421.11.2004
til
The thought has crossed my mind ;-)
I'd have to call it a Weissenborn model K, however, as Kona is now a
proprietory name used by another company.
John Pearse.

foldedpath

ulest,
21. nov. 2004, 13:07:1821.11.2004
til
johnpe...@aol.com (Johnpearsede) wrote in

Cool, thanks for the info. Sweet and/or nasty is what I'm looking for, so
it will probably be the spruce version, when I can afford to pull the
trigger. Maybe this coming winter.

I'll have to dust off what little overhand bar chops I have, from fooling
with an old Ibanez lap steel. I've mostly been playing bottleneck the last
few years.

--
Mike Barrs

0 nye meldinger