Simple Line 6 POD Floor Board Bank Controller Schematic (FB4 like)

JTE

Jan 9, 2003, 5:39:39 PM1/9/03
Line 6 POD Floor Board Bank Controller Schematic. Due to the
versatility of the POD, I figured that this circuit was worth posting.
I bought a FB4 and took it apart to see if I could understand how the
switches are coded. I originally wanted to add a remote "Tuner"
switch, but I still haven't figured out how they do that. What I
learned is that Line 6 used a nice strategy for detecting the A, B, C,
D, BANK UP and BANK DOWN switches in the full floor board. I expect
that the POD has some sort of analog to digital converter to detect
which bank switch is active. This allows them to use only one wire
(two including a ground) to detect 6 different switches. The
schematic to make a POD bank controller with a BANK UP switch is shown
below. As seen, it is very simple. Here is what I did. I bought an
old Zoom foot pedal controller (5 switches) from a used equipment
store. I disconnected all the traces around the switches (momentary)
and added the resistors shown in the schematic. To connect the floor
board to the POD, I bought an RJ45 female connector in a wall mount
housing from Radio Shack. I cut out the connector, epoxied it to the
side of the Zoom pedal board and wired it as shown. Then I just used
an internet cable to connect the floor board to the POD. If I were to
do it again, I would cut off the end of the internet cable and use a
ź" jack to connect the ground (pin 6 and 8) and signal (pin 3) to the
floor board. Using a ź" jack would be more sturdy than using the
epoxied RJ45 connector. I can't remember the resistor value that
would be used for a BANK DOWN switch (200 ohm?), but it would be added
in series after the 3 k resistor. If you want to figure it out, put a
10k pot in place of the 3 k resistor and turn the pot (while hitting
the switches) to get the BANK DOWN to occur. Remove the POT and use a
meter to figure out what value is needed. The FB4 is not very
expensive (~$70.00) and you get LED indicators to show you which bank
is selected, but you do not get a BANK UP switch. There are no LED's
here, but if you have an old floor board around and are short on cash,
this is inexpensive way to make a basic POD controller. If there are
any questions, contact me at jell...@nist.gov.

**********RJ45**************
* | | | | | | | | *
* | | | | | | | | *
* 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 *
********** **********
* *
**********

RJ45 jack on floor board (looking at front of jack). To make sure you
are wiring this correctly, lines from the POD that connect to 6 and 8
on the floor board should have 0 resistance between them. Both lines
are grounded in the POD and on the floor board. P3 from the resistor
series below, goes to pin 3 of the RJ45 jack. P8 and P6 are grounded.
VVVV is resistor, G is ground

P8 --------G

P6 --------G

360ohm 200ohm 240ohm 360ohm 3kohm 10kohm
P3---VVVV--|--VVVV--|--VVVV--|--VVVV--|--VVVV--|--VVVV---G
\ \ \ \ \
\ \ \ \ \
| | | | |
| | | | |
G G G G G

Ch. A Ch. B Ch. C Ch. D BANK UP

eli...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2014, 10:30:09 AM7/18/14
the schematic does not show up clear in html. Could you send a picture file or something else that would be clearer?
Also, do you mean that the switches are momentary so they only close the contact when you press and open the contact when you remove the foot?

Thanks

Nick Odell

Jul 18, 2014, 1:21:09 PM7/18/14
You appear to be replying to a USENET post that's over ten years old
but without any context it is difficult to offer any suggestions.

Why don't you try...

Posting the contents of the message you are replying to
or
Sending an email to the original author

As this was a USENET post, it probably wasn't written in html but in
plain text. If the schematic is built up from ascii characters, try
pasting it into a text editor in a non-proportional font and see if
that makes it clearer.

Nick

snak...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2016, 3:52:49 AM8/19/16