Md. Rafi under Naushad OUTCLASSED by S.Govindarajan under G.Ramanathan

Jay

Dec 9, 2009, 9:24:29 PM12/9/09
Yes - thats it ! Its a fact and I have posted the songs on bcsp_78 for
anyone to have a their say with whatever they have to in feedback.

You remember I had mentioned earlier in a post of mine that G
Ramanathan always used to adore Naushad Ali's music for its simplicity
to improvise upon.

The great GR shows the listeners by a recording a Tamil film song
around the 60s-decade sung in a 6.0 - 6.5 mins song by the noted
playback singer S Govindarajan - wherein one can find both the raaga-
based songs of Md Rafi from BAIJU BAWRA ('52) + KOHINOOR ('60)
conjured deftly by genius.

Do listen to them

Jay
10/12

Kammu

Dec 10, 2009, 6:47:26 AM12/10/09

Can you provide the link Please .
Thanks in advance , k

Partha Choudhury

Dec 10, 2009, 10:25:44 PM12/10/09
> Thanks in advance , k- Hide quoted text -

http://groups.google.com/group/BCSP_78?lnk=srg

bharat

Dec 10, 2009, 10:26:29 PM12/10/09

PASAND APANI APANI -KHAYAL APANA APNA.

Kammu

Dec 11, 2009, 7:22:12 AM12/11/09
> http://groups.google.com/group/BCSP_78?lnk=srg- Hide quoted text -

Many thanks for helping me with the link .
Regards , k

Kammu

Dec 11, 2009, 7:26:58 AM12/11/09
On Dec 9, 9:24 pm, Jay <sjhh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Some magazines mentioned that many south indian
MD's were inspired by Naushad , some of them even adopted
an orchestra in his style . I find one such name Master Venu .
Havn't heard much of him . Any more to add to the list .
Regards ,

Mokammel Karim

Dec 11, 2009, 1:58:06 PM12/11/09
On Dec 9, 9:24 pm, Jay <sjhh...@gmail.com> wrote:

a follower is always a follower. he can't be the pioneer. so, if a
follower is genius, the pioneer is the father of genii.

Jay

Dec 11, 2009, 8:19:08 PM12/11/09

Woh to sabko maalum hai, Bharatjee...kyun ki aap ka listening MIND
has been saturated with the voices of Rafi/Talat/Manna Dey/Lata,etc
over very long years from every possible source. Yehi sachh hai.

And when something NEW in cine music is presented as a recipe, its
obvious, THAT LISTENING MIND "just refuses" to accept a new idealogy &
besides you have never been used to listening to such innovative /
absolutely top class composers.

More songs are going to be salvoed soon to make you go dizzy.

jay
12/12

Jay

Dec 11, 2009, 8:26:15 PM12/11/09
These MDs you mention were like N.Dutta, Sajjad; S.N.Tripathi, Roshan;
SD.Burman likeof ; ,,,all B grade of HFM.

More songs will follow to make you go dizzy-n-tizzy.

But for Pete's sake. do not venture to ask any details of the songs
posted. That info you can ask Profjee and his followers .

jay
12/12

Jay
12/12

Jay

Dec 11, 2009, 8:30:29 PM12/11/09
On Dec 11, 5:26 pm, Kammu <kami...@gmail.com> wrote:

MAGAZINES / BOOKS / NEWSPAPERS / COLUMNISTS.. all of them KNOW
"nothing'..just nothing except 'idhar ka udhar' & 'udhar ka idhar'
regarding cine music of the old. They are 'paid' to do their job as
instructed.

Keep this in mind always.
Jay
12/12

Sukesh

Dec 12, 2009, 1:07:18 AM12/12/09

Could you provide a list of people who know? ;-)

Jag Chan

Dec 12, 2009, 1:57:51 AM12/12/09
Sukesh <sukesh...@yahoo.co.in> wrote in

What an idiotic question.

There is one and only one person in this whole world who qualifies.

Others who claim to know are either charlatan or fools.

By the way, when any person, who claims that he is the only person who
knows are called cranks.

Regards.

Kammu

Dec 12, 2009, 5:57:36 PM12/12/09

No Idhar ka udhar - Listen straight from Naushad himself .
Read Naushad ki aapbeeti Naushad ki zabaani and see
what he talks of Master Venu and others .
You are an ignorant guy sleeping in the dark .

Jay

Dec 12, 2009, 8:24:40 PM12/12/09

Naushad himself depended solely on GM throught his early
career...without which he would have been a non entity thence itself.
Secondly, if at all he CLICKED commercially, it was with the help of
D.N.Madhok's tunes..they were never his own; thirdly;Naushad was a
great DIPLOMAT when it came to manoeuvrability. He never liked GM to
come up....instances galore. During long discussions with lat MD: Jnan
Dutt..who always used to say that Naushad has lifted many 'tunes' of
almost the top composers of his time

Do you need more examples?? I have plenty. Naushad's zabani is only
for ignorants like you,him,etc...coz you chaps depend only on books/
magazines,etc...lazy RMIMersJay
13/12

Jay

Dec 12, 2009, 8:30:25 PM12/12/09
On Dec 12, 11:57 am, Jag Chan <r...@invalid.com> wrote:

I have and never stated that I know all...I am researching...it takes
time. Yet there is so much to be done...but I have not RETIRED..rather
24 hrs engaged in research work...to provide fresh INPUTS to IGNORANCE
rampantly prevailing on the forum.

Now what have you got to say...spit more venom & I transform it into
'nectar'. Can you?
Jay
13/12

Jay

Dec 12, 2009, 8:31:28 PM12/12/09

Know what? Clarify please
13/12

surjit singh

Dec 13, 2009, 12:47:33 AM12/13/09

OK. Very good. I am happy to note that you are declaring that all the
normal sources that all the normal people consult know NOTHING.
Earlier, I was under the mistaken impression that you are condemning
certain particular books by a particular author. No, I will not ask
you whom you trust.

Jay

Dec 13, 2009, 2:53:49 AM12/13/09

Profjee

I have nothing whatsoever against you as a person. Let this be clear

What / which normal sources; which normal people are you referring.
Come out with it openly and tell on the forum.

RESEARCH is one thing, much different from & 78 rpm RECORD
COLLLECTING !

A researcher may or may not have any 78rpm records, whilst

A 78 rpm records collector,despite having tonnes of records...may
actually know NOTHING of cine music.FOR EXAMPLE : SLBC / Radio Ceylon
- RIGHT or WRONG?

The staff working/employed there were recruited from ordinary lay
persons who had good microphone voice-n-diction in Hindi. Cine music
knowledge was not necessary at all right from the incumbency of Gopal
Sharma. Each announcer had his own favourite songs that gathered
firmer grip with new 78 rpms flowing-in thence regularly. These
announcers never bothered to dig and salvage the already old stock
lying with them for long years until wisdom dawned on Manohar Mahajan.

Thus all those worthwhile years of SLBC blasting film music across
India / Pakistan was mostly the cine music post-1950 and the same
music has been imbibed by you, me,he,she, etc Under the
circumstances, how can knowledge of cine music expand...the listening
stuff.

Plenty of HMV/ Columbia / TWIN / Jienophone 78 rpm catalogues were
available and existing and available right from 1940 onwards.
Similarly, song booklets of almost every film were available for so
many years...there were hardly any takers.

Can any one imbibe cine music listening knowledge only from
catalogues, books/booklets?? All hypocrisy
And the music of films ante-1950 is the subject of dispute. Yes, if
people who have really heard that music are still LIVING, then its a
different case altogether.

Personally, I have come across so many record collectors having
extraordinary collections, but informatively zero. I have met so many
journalists - I have had discussions through correspondence with
reputes like Dr.Aziz with whom I have had plenty of tiffs in opinion,
like 'on Naushad' - also with Vijaylaxmi Desurum . Simply having had a
tenure in SLBC is NO QUALIFICATION for cine music knowledge-imbibed.

In my case, during my record hunting days, I used to actually PLAY-n-
LISTEN every single 78rpm on both sides. Thus, my listening knowledge
of film music expanded little by little over the years...and even now
it is there.

Do the writers/columnists have it? And who reads these good4nothing
writers/columnists !! People like Satish Halden / Kammu /
Sukesh ...these are the gullible music lovers .

Could anyone solve the mystery of the two or four Hindi numbers I had
posted on BCSP-78 uptil now??Profjee - You tell me now - Why not?

Because of IGNORANCE - the GKs failed ...for whatever reasons. SLBC
even if they had the songs failed to broadcast them even by mistake.
Jay
13/12

Sukesh

Dec 13, 2009, 3:10:08 AM12/13/09
> 13/12

Isn't that the question?

Sukesh

Dec 13, 2009, 3:14:09 AM12/13/09
On Dec 12, 11:57 am, Jag Chan <r...@invalid.com> wrote:

I had asked an idiotic question in the hope that I would get an even
more idiotic answer (he obliged).

Regards

Sukesh

Dec 13, 2009, 3:44:33 AM12/13/09
On Dec 13, 12:53 pm, Jay <sjhh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In my case, during my record hunting days, I used to actually PLAY-n-
> LISTEN every single 78rpm on both sides.

Now you are telling us, we the ignorant lot did not know that the
78rpms were meant to be play-n-listen on 'both sides'.
We always thought they were to be used as wheels for the tricycles.
Thank you for telling us a little about your research and enlightening
us. This forum members are a wiser lot. One question, do we do the
same with mp3 files? Play-n-listen on both sides(!) ;-)

> Jay
> 13/12

Kammu

Dec 13, 2009, 8:31:30 AM12/13/09

Please come out with concrete evidence on what
you commented on GM - DN Madhok and Jnan Dutt .
You cannot speak in the air just like that .

Jay

Dec 13, 2009, 9:01:15 AM12/13/09

Your above post is itself a clear evidence that you have not the
slightest idea about Naushad's diplomacy. - so forget about Naushad's
zubaani. You have been clean bowled !

My evidence cannot be put up on this forum in a few lines.

Jay
13/12

Jay

Dec 13, 2009, 9:11:36 AM12/13/09
On Dec 12, 11:07 am, Sukesh <sukesh_hoo...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

There is nothing such as a list of people. Everyone has a RIGHT to
express his/her opinion in the way one chooses or feels appropriate .

But my point is that I haven't yet come across any person as such who
is ready to cross-examine my versions earnestly. They just keep
mum...which itself proves their drawback. Isn't it?

To cross examine my statements, you have got to be thorough with your
reasonings and documentations to awe me in pointing out my lapses or
shortcomings.

I am always ready for this, anytime.

Jay
13/12

Mokammel Karim

Dec 13, 2009, 12:15:44 PM12/13/09

ghulam mohammad....shafi....now dn madhok!!!!!!!

you should write more on naushad's diplomacy/fraudulence. you have
wrote thousands of lines here, in this forum. so, you can do that.
people talk about naushad so much, because he was so
successful....miles ahead of others. if you talk about other mds,
nobody gives a .... but if it is naushad, you will draw attention.

you just can't talk like this. come up with evidence. don't have any??
why don't you button your lip.

surjit singh

Dec 13, 2009, 12:38:00 PM12/13/09

What do you expect from a guy who believes hearsay and gossip more
than the printed word?

Kammu

Dec 13, 2009, 2:42:35 PM12/13/09

You cannot escape like this -
Having uttered a nasty remark on a notable music director
you need to provide concrete evidence . You can apologise
publicly on this forum for your false utterences if you cannot do so .

UVR

Dec 13, 2009, 3:53:25 PM12/13/09

ROTFL!

-UVR.

Mokammel Karim

Dec 13, 2009, 8:00:46 PM12/13/09

True, indeed!

Jay

Dec 13, 2009, 9:11:22 PM12/13/09

MDs like Naushad, S-J, Opee etc are very popular MDs in the eyes of
the masses and its also true their songs were a rage in their times
and even now.

My point of issue is not that. If they have had SUCCESS its their
luck. On the other hand, MDs like Bulo C.Rani , such a versatile MD
who has given such breathtaking music in his career spanning 4
decades..never accomplished commercial success. Why? Kudrat ko manzoor
nahi... Bas, aur kya? That does not mean that Bulo's music is
inferior.in any way.

So, the yardstick of commercial SUCCESS for the LAY MAN may be those
MDs ..which also does not mean that the other MDs like Bulo rank
inferior. To the LAY MAN, it may be, but not researchers like me who
is always in melodic study-n-read take on any one on a one2one basis
for discussion/debate. with documentations...not perforated websites,
please!!

You have to broaden / widen your area / bandwith of listening, friend.
Profji cannot be blamed for that - you guys are unlucky.

When you have NO RESOURCE/ OPPORTUNIY for listening in expanding your
listening maturity....you just get bogged and anything PRESENTED NEW
IN THE OLD is rejected by the listening-mind which keeps murmurring:
How can this new song be superrior to Rafi or Lata or MD: Naushad,etc
thats possessed already in your system?

Naushad's MELA ('48) number: Aayee sawan ki rutu aayee.. by Shamshad.
Do you feel its creative with a Naushad stamp?

Just answer me this question?
Jay
14/12

If you have any one in mind, tell me

Mokammel Karim

Dec 13, 2009, 10:06:33 PM12/13/09

what's wrong with that song?
anyway, just "to broaden / widen your area / bandwidth" i have a new
post on naushad. read/watch what 'immatured' jashraj/mannadey/khayyam/
lata/asha/arrahman/shamshad are saying about naushad (note: most of
them were born before 1941).
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.indian.misc/browse_thread/thread/9f1d684104997d41#

Satish Haldan

Dec 13, 2009, 11:50:14 PM12/13/09

Same here.

Satish

Jay

Dec 14, 2009, 3:11:06 AM12/14/09
> them were born before 1941).http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.indian.misc/browse_thread/th...

So what if they were before .41?

All those people will definitely speak in praise of Naushad,
obviously. They haven't done any research despite having lived through
that period.

Yes, his films were a 'seller' as compared to others. His tunes bore
simplicity with a folk touch. The major contribution and credit goes
to GM ultimately. RATAN('44) gave him a NAME...but the main credit was
due to D.N.Madhok...as Bhagatram ( of H-B) often used to say

Without GM or Md Shafi or Ibrahim, Naushad's credibility iin film
music is MERE MEHBOOB. Thats Naushad.Naushad always claimed that his
gurs were Mushtaq Hussain & Jhande Khan...but I have never seen any of
those styles in his entire career.

Once two musicians of late Gulam Hyder visited Naushad...this is true
and no fiction.
After introducing themselves, they asked Naushad whether the the NJ
rendered song is a geet or ghazal( Sakhi ree..)In return he replied
that as compared to GH his was nothing in comparison. But he never
answered their querry.

What do you say now?

Obviously, you will not like to see Naushad being dumped since you
havent known his predecessors and contemporaries. Aayee sawan rutu
aayee from MELA was a rehash of MUSAFIR song by Khurshid/Kantilal of
Jnan Dutt.
the song : Dharti ko aakash pukare... was a lift of Umrazia Begum's
Raavi ke uss paar.. by GH; Aaj mere mun mein sakhi... from AAN was a
lift from Dhuwein ki gaadi...from Nai Kahani.

I can give you still more .

Rafi's alto rendition towards the end in O duniya ke rakhwale...from
Baiju Bawra was an idea from Shankar Rao Vyas' epic number Bharat ki
ek sannari....from Ram Rajya

Without the services of GM or Md Shafi, Naushad's credibility is at
its ebb

Amazingly, D.N.Madhok used call Naushad a genius !

Jay
14/12

======================================

I judge the quality

Abhay Phadnis

Dec 14, 2009, 3:49:50 AM12/14/09
On Dec 14, 1:11 pm, Jay <sjhh...@gmail.com> wrote:
(snip)

> Yes, his films were a 'seller' as compared to others. His tunes bore
> simplicity with a folk touch. The major contribution and credit goes
> to GM ultimately. RATAN('44) gave him a NAME...but the main credit was
> due to D.N.Madhok...as Bhagatram ( of H-B) often used to say

Did Bhagatram say this to you? If not, it is customary to provide some
reference for claims that x said y about z.

(snip)

> Once two musicians of late Gulam Hyder visited Naushad...this is true
> and no fiction.
> After introducing themselves, they asked Naushad whether the the NJ
> rendered song is a geet or ghazal( Sakhi ree..)In return he replied
> that as compared to GH his was nothing in comparison. But he never
> answered their querry.
>
> What do you say now?

Do you mean "sakhii rii nahii.n aaye sajanawaa mor"? I can't recall
any other NJ *solo* with these words in the mukhaDaa. If this was
indeed the song, why would there even be a question about it being a
ghazal? Whatever else Naushad may or may not have been, he was a
technically competent (but bland and uninspiring) poet who has written
several ghazals (e.g., refer his album "Athwan Sur"). It is difficult
- if not impossible - to believe that he couldn't distinguish between
a ghazal and geet. Again, what is your source for this story?

Warm regards,
Abhay

Message has been deleted

Jay

Dec 14, 2009, 7:26:15 AM12/14/09
On Dec 13, 10:15 pm, Mokammel Karim <mktoufi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Such gossips , or call it interaction - are regular weekly occurrences
at my sessions : BELIEVE IT OR NOT & openly face2face with the
patrons, in which some are matured listeners and some so-so. They keep
shooting all sorts of questions like you people are doing on this
forum and I show them with ready examples...make them LISTEN
forcefully to my documentations. No one dares to open his mouth.You
know why?? Because of IGNORANCE - they have had no opportunities to
ACTUAL LISTENING. Books/magazines/newspapers provide only reading info
according to the writings of the writer - But the writer remains
uncontactable for his indulgence !!

A concrete example was the hot 'hot' debate i had with Dr.Aziz of
Washington during 1989-91 on Sajjad-n-Naushad. I disputed his
version..also dragging along Vijaylaxmi Deserum, ex radio announcer
of SLBC who had settled in U.S. and interacting closely with Dr.Aziz
to pen an article in SCREEN. I got hold of the address of Dr.Aziz from
SCREEN office and wrote a scathing letter to Dr.Aziz for his poor
knowledge on ICM in collusion with that lady.

That was it, the spark got ignited into regular handwritten
correspondence ( from either side ) every 10 days are so on Sajjad and
then on Naushad. One after the other my letters were answering every
question of his with listening documentation. Then there was a 'lull'
from his side...not replying to my 2 or 3 letters with aural
documentations.

He had even advised Vijaylaxmi Deserum to call on me and collect data
from me. She did phone me in office and came to meet me. Honestly, I
found her informatively poor and lacking. She had come to buy some
cassetes from Rhythm House and took me along in cab during my duty
hours thence. Before parting she placed in my palm USD: 20/- though I
refused.

Jay
14/12

Jay

Dec 14, 2009, 7:48:40 AM12/14/09

Yes, Bhagatram was a regular meet when I used to stay at Khar during
the 70s. One fine evening, I urged him to come over with me to my
place. He agreed and came along. Those years were my hectic record
hunting days from every possible source since I was a bachelor then. I
played: Maine dekhi jag ki reet.. At once he said : its Madhok saabs
tune. I also played one Dhamki ('44) solo - and he at once said it
was : hamare bade bhai ki shagird: Zeenat Begum. I asked him as to how
he would compare NJ & Lata. and he said: Lata ki riyaaz ki huwi awaz
hai aur NJ to ban ki koyal hai.

He was going through a rough patch hoping for a chance to compose
music for an upcoming film of Goel Prodns.

I have met G.M Durrani also for long sessions now and then. I have met
even Manna dey, Bulo C Rani, Sajjad.

My postings are all based on experiences with these people and regular
listening in depth of my records and Radio Ceylon and that wonderful
assistant of Shamsunder. from whom I gained a lot of info. He, being a
Punjabi, was thrilled when I played some GR songs sung by S.Varalaxmi.
You know what he said: Oh Jay - kya baat hai - Aisa music of GR even
Gulam Hyder has not been able to create. FABULOUS was his reaction.

Now what have you got to say,

Jay
14/12

Jay

Dec 14, 2009, 8:01:08 AM12/14/09
On Dec 14, 1:49 pm, Abhay Phadnis <aphad...@gmail.com> wrote:

D O C U M E N T A T I O N in black-n-white. But you will not get it.
It has come from Pakistan
Naushad fits in Grade ' B ' alongwith Sachin Dev Burman; C.Ramchandra;
Roshan; H-B; S.N.Tripathi; S-J; ,etc
Even GM is included in this grade.

Maano ya na maano -

Remember what TMS had said in his interview once endorsed by noted
historian K.Saravanan & Manishekaran.

Those who can sing under G.Ramanathan will be able to sing with every
other MD.

jay
14/12

Abhay Phadnis

Dec 14, 2009, 8:08:33 AM12/14/09
On Dec 14, 5:48 pm, Jay <sjhh...@gmail.com> wrote:
(snip)

> Yes, Bhagatram was a regular meet when I used to stay at Khar during
> the 70s. One fine evening, I urged him to come over with me to my
> place. He agreed and came along. Those years were my hectic record
> hunting days from every possible source since I was a bachelor then. I
> played: Maine dekhi jag ki reet.. At once he said : its Madhok saabs
> tune.

Your earlier post quoted Bhagatram as saying Naushad had used D N
Madhok's tunes in 'Rattan'. Now, you are saying Bhagatram attributed
to Madhok a tune which is not from 'Ratan' and is which is not even
Naushad's tune in the first place. So was Bhagatram saying that Gyan
Dutt stole Madhok's tune(s) and passed it/them off as his own? Where
does Naushad enter into all this?

> I also played one Dhamki ('44) solo - and he at once said it
> was : hamare bade bhai ki shagird: Zeenat Begum. I asked him as to how
> he would compare NJ & Lata. and he said: Lata ki riyaaz ki huwi awaz
> hai aur NJ to ban ki koyal hai.

So Bhagatram recognised a singer who sang for his elder brother and
expressed an opinion about Lata and NJ that has been expressed by
several others. How is any of that relevant to your point about
Naushad taking credit for others' tunes?

None of the name-dropping that follows in the rest of your post has
anything to do with Naushad either. Nor have you bothered to give even
a tangential answer (as above) to the second question I had asked
about the NJ song (which again has no connection with Naushad!).

(snip)

> Now what have you got to say,

I have already said it above: you have not answered either of my
questions, so the ball remains in your court.

Warm regards,
Abhay

Abhay Phadnis

Dec 14, 2009, 8:16:05 AM12/14/09
On Dec 14, 6:01 pm, Jay <sjhh...@gmail.com> wrote:
(snip)

> D O C U M E N T A T I O N in black-n-white. But you will not get it.
> It has come from Pakistan

Essentially, "it is true because I say it is true; I have proof but I
won't reveal it to you" - sorry, not good enough from a public forum.

> Naushad fits in Grade ' B ' alongwith Sachin Dev Burman; C.Ramchandra;
> Roshan; H-B; S.N.Tripathi; S-J; ,etc
> Even GM is included in this grade.
>
> Maano ya na maano -

You have your ranking of MDs, I have mine, and other RMIMers will have
theirs. I may even agree with you on Naushad's grading, but that will
still be my opinion (and yours) and nothing more.

Warm regards,
Abhay

Mokammel Karim

Dec 14, 2009, 6:23:10 PM12/14/09
On Dec 14, 8:08 am, Abhay Phadnis <aphad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have already said it above: you have not answered either of my
> questions, so the ball remains in your court.

The ball will never return !!!!

Message has been deleted

Mokammel Karim

Dec 14, 2009, 7:32:15 PM12/14/09
On Dec 13, 9:11 pm, Jay <sjhh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So what if they were before .41?

I know how much age is important to you !!

>My point of issue is not that. If they have had SUCCESS its their
>luck. On the other hand, MDs like Bulo C.Rani , such a versatile MD
>who has given such breathtaking music in his career spanning 4
>decades..never accomplished commercial success. Why? Kudrat ko manzoor
>nahi... Bas, aur kya? That does not mean that Bulo's music is
>inferior.in any way.

As SDB once said, 'we learned how to blend popularity with quality
from naushad'. For almost 20 years naushad was the most 'successful'
MD. one or two film can be hit by chance, but not so many films.
Certainly there were MDs whose many songs were better than naushad's.
Naushad himself respected MDs like RC Boral, Ghulam Haider, Khemchand,
Anil very much. Even in one interview he said that he considers
ramchandra, roshan and madanmohan better than himself. i think
naushad's 'average quality' is much higher.

>All those people will definitely speak in praise of Naushad,
>obviously. They haven't done any research despite having lived through
>that period.

But they do understand music.

>Yes, his films were a 'seller' as compared to others. His tunes bore
>simplicity with a folk touch. The major contribution and credit goes
>to GM ultimately. RATAN('44) gave him a NAME...but the main credit was
>due to D.N.Madhok...as Bhagatram ( of H-B) often used to say

All MDs are here to sell their music. BC Rani, Sajjad, Anil .....all
wanted to sell their compositions. If you don't sell, you won't get
chance to compose for films. Bhagatrams can say many things.....though
you don't have any proof that bhagatram indeed said
that. by mid 50s H-B were out of the market...losers always have
something to say. you are yet to come up with any evidence regarding
'credit goes to GM ultimately' and 'the main credit was due to
D.N.Madhok'. Madhok was a father-figure to naushad and i think madhok
recommended naushad. but 'he composed music for naushad and later
called him genius' !!!

>Without GM or Md Shafi or Ibrahim, Naushad's credibility iin film
>music is MERE MEHBOOB. Thats Naushad.

Even in Mere Mehboob, shafi was the assistant. and shafi was there
when naushad composed ganwar.

>Rafi's alto rendition towards the end in O duniya ke rakhwale...from
>Baiju Bawra was an idea from Shankar Rao Vyas' epic number Bharat ki
>ek sannari....from Ram Rajya

both films were directed by vijay bhat. i guess he was the
producer too. sometimes a director's vision influences the music. but
what you said about
the alto.....naushad tried this before (to some extent)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOVivhkBc38 (1951)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFx5mX7gRmk (1949)
both the songs happened before baijubawra.

Jay

Dec 14, 2009, 8:36:19 PM12/14/09

Don't ever show me links...I have all the records with me. LINKS are
for people like you who are the 'not haves' and keep searching
regularly for avenues.

Whatever happened during those period in film circles prior to launch
of any film is NOT THE POINT OF MOOT.
We are looking back 50-60 yrs and commenting upon performances...NOT
OF THE COMMERCIAL SUCCESS OF THE FILM OR MUSIC.....NO

We are doing a qualitative analysis of a MD called Naushad and his
performance career. How does one analyse the qualitative part of
music.

Can Mohd Karim do that? If so, how will he do that? On what basis will
he do that? IGNORE THE COMMERCIAL SUCCESS. for some time.

I am not dumping Naushad as NOTHING...never. After all, he too has
contributed to ICM his share..huge,big or small,whatever. No top
ranking MDs of those used to glorify their performance.

Remember, we are doing a post analyses of cine music of Naushad
qualitatively...The term 'success or popularity' has no place in our
discussion. Only his performance of "SONGS COMPOSED BY THE CREATIVE
BRAIN OF NAUSHAD" has VALIDITY.

Were RATAN's tunes a brainwork of Naushad? Answer me this question
first.

Jay
14/12

bharat

Dec 16, 2009, 8:02:26 AM12/16/09
On Dec 12, 6:19 am, Jay <sjhh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 11, 8:26 am, bharat <shub...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Dec 10, 7:24 am, Jay <sjhh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Yes - thats it ! Its a fact and I have posted the songs on bcsp_78 for
> > > anyone to have a their say with whatever they have to in feedback.
>
> > > You remember I had mentioned earlier in a post of mine that G
> > > Ramanathan always used to adore Naushad Ali's music for its simplicity
> > > to improvise upon.
>
> > > The great GR shows the listeners by a recording a Tamil film song
> > > around the 60s-decade sung in a 6.0 - 6.5 mins song by the noted
> > > playback singer S Govindarajan  - wherein one can find both the raaga-
> > > based songs of Md Rafi from BAIJU BAWRA ('52) + KOHINOOR ('60)
> > > conjured deftly by genius.
>
> > > Do listen to them
>
> > > Jay
> > > 10/12
>
> > PASAND APANI APANI -KHAYAL APANA APNA.
>
> Woh to sabko maalum hai, Bharatjee...kyun  ki aap ka listening MIND
> has been saturated with the voices of Rafi/Talat/Manna Dey/Lata,etc
> over very long years from every possible source. Yehi sachh hai.
>
> And when something NEW in cine music is presented as a recipe, its
> obvious, THAT LISTENING MIND "just refuses" to accept a new idealogy &
> besides you have never been used to listening to such innovative /
> absolutely top class composers.
>
> More songs are going to be salvoed soon to make you go dizzy.
>
> jay
> 12/12
Jay jee,
You seem to know me better than myself ~~ you also know what I listen
and what I do not.Surprising.
SUCH is a relative term....! My Such maybe different from your and we
both maybe Sucha or Jutha..
But Why I am writing all ths ?

bharat

Dec 16, 2009, 8:04:23 AM12/16/09
On Dec 12, 11:07 am, Sukesh <sukesh_hoo...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> On Dec 12, 6:30 am, Jay <sjhh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >             Some magazines mentioned that many south indian
> > > MD's were inspired by Naushad , some of them even adopted
> > > an orchestra in his style . I find one such name Master Venu .
> > > Havn't heard much of him . Any more to add to the list .
> > > Regards ,
>
> > MAGAZINES / BOOKS / NEWSPAPERS / COLUMNISTS.. all of them KNOW
> > "nothing'..just nothing except 'idhar ka udhar' & 'udhar ka idhar'
> > regarding cine music of the old. They are 'paid' to do their job as
> > instructed.
>
> > Keep this in mind always.
> > Jay
> > 12/12
>
> Could you provide a list of people who know? ;-)

Iwould do it on his part Jay !
and no body else.

bharat

Dec 16, 2009, 8:05:30 AM12/16/09
On Dec 13, 6:24 am, Jay <sjhh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 13, 3:57 am, Kammu <kami...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >   No Idhar ka udhar - Listen straight from Naushad himself .
> > Read Naushad ki aapbeeti Naushad ki zabaani and see
> > what he talks of Master Venu and others .
> > You are an ignorant guy sleeping in the dark .
>
> Naushad himself depended solely on GM throught his early
> career...without which he would have been a non entity thence itself.
> Secondly, if at all he CLICKED commercially, it was with the help of
> D.N.Madhok's tunes..they were never his own; thirdly;Naushad was a
> great DIPLOMAT when it came to manoeuvrability. He never liked GM to
> come up....instances galore. During long discussions with lat MD: Jnan
> Dutt..who always used to say that Naushad has lifted many 'tunes' of
> almost the top composers of his time
>
> Do you need more examples?? I have plenty. Naushad's zabani is only
> for ignorants like you,him,etc...coz you chaps depend only on books/
> magazines,etc...lazy RMIMersJay
> 13/12

What do you depend on...?

bharat

Dec 16, 2009, 8:07:59 AM12/16/09
On Dec 13, 1:10 pm, Sukesh <sukesh_hoo...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> > > Could you provide a list of people who know? ;-)
>
> > Know what?
> > 13/12
>
> Isn't that the question?

Sukesh -where are you .Why you do not declare this as - - - - - as U
always do ?

bharat

Dec 16, 2009, 8:11:46 AM12/16/09
On Dec 13, 10:15 pm, Mokammel Karim <mktoufi...@gmail.com> wrote:

I dont understand when he has time to do research he brags about.Whole
day he is busy posting !
just as chemist does not become Physician because he has lot of
meduicines,A man does not become musicology because he has lot of
records !

bharat

Dec 16, 2009, 8:12:56 AM12/16/09
On Dec 13, 10:15 pm, Mokammel Karim <mktoufi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Now write anything you like I am not going to open this Topic.but I
know you are not bothered.

Jay

Dec 16, 2009, 8:49:51 PM12/16/09

Come on , go ahead Bharat; you are free to comment anything : It
doesn't affect me at all...you all are the 'have nots'
Make an introspection and you will come to know.
Jay
17/12