Ghantasala sang Hindi song?

Abhay Jain

Mar 30, 2005, 10:44:31 PM3/30/05
My understanding is that Ghatsala never sang
any Hindi song. Suvarna Sundari entry
in Geet Kosh lists a song by Ghantsala.
Apparently no record was issued and song
may have been only in the movie.
I have not seen the movie. Can someone shed
some light on this issue.

AJ

Sreenivas Paruchuri

Mar 31, 2005, 2:57:16 PM3/31/05
Well, I myself haven't heard any Ghantasala song in Hindi *film*. I
don't own "giitkosh", but my *guess* is that you are refering to his
traditional (devotional) verse (in Sanskrit), a popular one in South I
may add, which goes like: "lakshmiim kshiirasamudraraaja tanayaam
SriirangadhaameSwarii". Probably the producer: P. Adinarayanarao, left
the original that way seeing no need to record it.

Similar example can be found in "Jaisingh" (1958, dubbed version of
Telugu: Jayasimha-1955, starring: NTR, Anjali and Waheeda Rehman. Music
by T.V. Raaju). I remember reading Ramesh Naidu, the music director for
the Hindi version, that he left Ghantasala's original Telugu rendition
of "jaya jaya Sriiraamaa! raghuvaraa! Subhakara ..." as it is.

There are a couple of more such instances. All dubbed films, like
"bhookailaas", "lavakuSa", "baalaajii" (a.k.a Srii venkaTeSwara
maahaatmyam).

BTW, Ghantasala did sing a couple of Hindi songs. For e.g. "saare jahaan
se acchaa".

On a side note, his rendition of "vaishNava janato" is (IMO) very good.

Regards,
Sreenivas

decdr2....@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2014, 3:24:22 AM8/21/14
He sang a song with Johrabai in the film "Rani."

seeking

Aug 27, 2014, 1:56:07 PM8/27/14
On Thursday, 21 August 2014 09:24:22 UTC+2, decdr2....@gmail.com wrote:
> He sang a song with Johrabai in the film "Rani."

Is it possible to find this online? I am curious to hear Ghantasala's Hindi diction.

seeking

Aug 31, 2014, 1:10:30 PM8/31/14
I chanced upon it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyQzSRbupWY

After a brief intro in Telugu, the song starts around 1:10

Enjoy.

seeking

Aug 31, 2014, 1:13:02 PM8/31/14
And the credits:

Song from Movie Raani(1952). Composer is D C Dutt, Lyrics by J S Kashyap. His co-singer is the great Zohrabai. Movie was made by Jupiter Pictures, Madras and its director was L.V. Prasad.