Angoor Ka Daana: na Gilaaf na lihaaf ... bi.Dii .. jaa pa.Dosii ke chuulhe se

Vinay

Jul 10, 2006, 4:49:01 PM7/10/06
Sunidhi rocks in the song. The moment she takes off with "jigar maa.N
ba.Dii aag hai", she is unstoppable. Vishal gives her some really
catchy grooves (check "aise ik din dupaharii bulaay liyo re").

Sukhwindar, for some reason, sings a couple of lines as if he's either
drunk or having too much fun. Listen to him saying 'daa.Nt kaa nishaan
chho.D de' to see what I mean. I am sure that's intentional and perhaps
goes with the character.

This song is a riot. "wo ilaayachii khilaayake kariib aa gayaa"! man!
:)

% ITRANS Song #
%
\startsong
\stitle{na Gilaaf na lihaaf ... bi.Dii .. jaa pa.Dosii ke chuulhe se}%
\film{Omkara}%
\year{2006}%
\starring{}%
\singer{Sunidhi Chauhan, Sukhwinder}%
\music{Vishal}%
\lyrics{Gulzar}%
%
% Tags:
% Audio on:
% Contributor: Vinay P Jain
% Transliterator: Vinay P Jain
% Date: 10 Jul 2006
% Series: Angoor Ka Daana
% Comments:
% generated using www.giitaayan.com
%
\printtitle
#indian
%
sunidhi:
Du.Du.ng Daa.ng Du.ng ...

sukh:
na Gilaaf, na lihaaf
(na Gilaaf, na lihaaf, Tha.nDhii hawaa bhii Kilaaf sasurii) 2
ho ittii sardii hai kisii kaa lihaaf la_i le
ho jaa pa.Dosii ke chuulhe se aag la_i le

sunidhi:
bii.Dii jalaay le jigar se piyaa
jigar maa.N ba.Dii aag hai
Da.Da.ng Daa.ng Da.ng..
bii.Dii jalaay le jigar se piyaa
jigar maa.N ba.Dii aag hai
(dhuaa.N na nikaariyo lab se piyaa) 2
je duniyaa ba.Dii ghaagh hai
bii.Dii jalaay le jigar se piyaa
jigar maa.N ba.Dii aag hai

dono.n:
na Gilaaf..

sukh:
(na kasuur, na fatuur) 2
binaa juram ke hazuur mar gaI
sunidhi:
ho aise ik din dupaharii bulaay liyo re
baa.Ndh ghu.Ngharuu kachaharii lagaay liyo re
bulaay liyo re
bulaay liyo re dupaharii
dono.n:
lagaay liyo re
lagaay liyo re kachaharii
a.ngiiThii jalaay le
sunidhi:
jigar se piyaa
jigar maa.N ba.Dii aag hai
bii.Dii jalaay le jigar se piyaa
jigar maa.N ba.Dii aag hai

sukh:
ho na to chakkuo.n kii dhaar
ho na taraatii na kaTaar
na to chakkuo.n kii dhaar
na taraatii na kaTaar
aise kaaTe ki daa.Nt kaa nishaan chho.D de
ye kaTaaii to koii bhii kisaan chho.D de
ho aise jaalim kaa chho.D de makaan chho.D de re billo
jaalim kaa chho.D de makaan chho.D de
re aise jaalim kaa
ho aise jaalim kaa
aise jaalim kaa chho.D de makaan chho.D de

sunidhi:
(na bulaayaa, na bataayaa) 2
waane nii.nd se jagaayaa haay re
aisaa chau.nke lihaaf me.n nasiib aa gayaa
wo ilaayachii khilaayake kariib aa gayaa
koyalaa jalaay le jigar se piyaa
jigar maa.N, aag hai

sukh:
ittii sardii hai...
%
#endindian
\endsong

Sushil Sharma

Jul 11, 2006, 3:20:07 AM7/11/06
Vinay wrote:
> Sunidhi rocks in the song. The moment she takes off with "jigar maa.N
> ba.Dii aag hai", she is unstoppable. Vishal gives her some really
> catchy grooves (check "aise ik din dupaharii bulaay liyo re").
>
> Sukhwindar, for some reason, sings a couple of lines as if he's either
> drunk or having too much fun. Listen to him saying 'daa.Nt kaa nishaan
> chho.D de' to see what I mean. I am sure that's intentional and perhaps
> goes with the character.
>
> This song is a riot. "wo ilaayachii khilaayake kariib aa gayaa"! man!
> :)

I have not heard this song, still proposing a few suggestions (mixed
with some aimless ramblings), based on what are more commonly seen
spellings for some of the words. You may choose to discard some of
these suggestions if you think the lyricist/MD/singer might have
intentionally used a particular spelling/pronunciation for some word,
say, to keep the rustic feel of the lyrics, though, considering that
you chose to transcribe Gilaaf, Kilaaf etc using the "with-nuqta" form
of letters, I am inclined to think you didn't intentionally avoid the
"with-nuqta" form for some other words ...

> sukh:
> na Gilaaf, na lihaaf
> (na Gilaaf, na lihaaf, Tha.nDhii hawaa bhii Kilaaf sasurii) 2
> ho ittii sardii hai kisii kaa lihaaf la_i le
> ho jaa pa.Dosii ke chuulhe se aag la_i le

Vinay ji, aap buraa na mane.N to arz karuu.Ngaa, yah pankti aur kuchh
kahe na kahe, itanaa to zaroor kah rahii hai ki aap ke priya kavi
(Gulzar saahib) ne rahiim ke nimnalikhit suprasiddha (aaj bhii rahiim
ko, kam se kam saahityaanuraagii sajjano.N me.N to prasiddha maan hii
sakate hai.N) dohaa aur baravai kabhii nahi.N paDhe. agar unho.N ne yeh
paDhe hote, to apane giit kii nayikaa ko naayak dwaara pa.Dosii ke
chuulhe se aag laane ke liye kabhii nahii.n kahalavaate! :-)

dohaa:
gaii aagi ura laaya, aagi lena aaii jo tiya |
laagii naahi.n bujhaaya, bhabhaki bhabhaki bari bari uThai ||

[the women who came to borrow fire -- meaning, to borrow live coals to
kindle a fire -- she returned with her heart aflame, the kind of flame
that does not get extinguished but flares up time and again]

baravai:
bari gai haath upariyaa, rahi gai aagi |
ghar kai baaT bisari gai, guhanai.n laagi ||
[the dried-cowdung-cake (upalaa) that she took in her hand when going
to borrow some fire, got charred in her hand, but the fire remained.
forgetting the way back to her home, she set off in company (of the
person who was the source of her fire)]

What do you think? :-)

> sunidhi:
> bii.Dii jalaay le jigar se piyaa
> jigar maa.N ba.Dii aag hai
> Da.Da.ng Daa.ng Da.ng..
> bii.Dii jalaay le jigar se piyaa
> jigar maa.N ba.Dii aag hai
> (dhuaa.N na nikaariyo lab se piyaa) 2
> je duniyaa ba.Dii ghaagh hai
> bii.Dii jalaay le jigar se piyaa
> jigar maa.N ba.Dii aag hai
>
> dono.n:
> na Gilaaf..
>
> sukh:
> (na kasuur, na fatuur) 2

Shouldn't it be "na qasoor, na fatuur"?

> binaa juram ke hazuur mar gaI
> sunidhi:
> ho aise ik din dupaharii bulaay liyo re
> baa.Ndh ghu.Ngharuu kachaharii lagaay liyo re
> bulaay liyo re
> bulaay liyo re dupaharii
> dono.n:
> lagaay liyo re
> lagaay liyo re kachaharii
> a.ngiiThii jalaay le
> sunidhi:
> jigar se piyaa
> jigar maa.N ba.Dii aag hai
> bii.Dii jalaay le jigar se piyaa
> jigar maa.N ba.Dii aag hai
>
> sukh:
> ho na to chakkuo.n kii dhaar
> ho na taraatii na kaTaar
> na to chakkuo.n kii dhaar
> na taraatii na kaTaar

I think both places above "taraatii" should be changed to "daraa.Ntii".
I don't know if "taraatii" is a valid word in Hindi. The context here
suggests it should be "daraa.Ntii" (which, as you know, is same as the
"ha.Nsiyaa", and is used in the fields, by the "kisaan" referred below)
:-)

> aise kaaTe ki daa.Nt kaa nishaan chho.D de
> ye kaTaaii to koii bhii kisaan chho.D de
> ho aise jaalim kaa chho.D de makaan chho.D de re billo
> jaalim kaa chho.D de makaan chho.D de
> re aise jaalim kaa
> ho aise jaalim kaa
> aise jaalim kaa chho.D de makaan chho.D de

Shouldn't the "jaalim" everywhere above be changed to "zaalim"?

> sunidhi:
> (na bulaayaa, na bataayaa) 2
> waane nii.nd se jagaayaa haay re
> aisaa chau.nke lihaaf me.n nasiib aa gayaa
> wo ilaayachii khilaayake kariib aa gayaa

Shouldn't the "kariib" here be changed to "qariib"?

Regards,
Sushil

Vinay

Jul 11, 2006, 9:51:15 AM7/11/06
Sushil jii:

Sushil Sharma ne likha tha:

> Vinay wrote:
> > Sunidhi rocks in the song. The moment she takes off with "jigar maa.N
> > ba.Dii aag hai", she is unstoppable. Vishal gives her some really
> > catchy grooves (check "aise ik din dupaharii bulaay liyo re").
> >
> > Sukhwindar, for some reason, sings a couple of lines as if he's either
> > drunk or having too much fun. Listen to him saying 'daa.Nt kaa nishaan
> > chho.D de' to see what I mean. I am sure that's intentional and perhaps
> > goes with the character.
> >
> > This song is a riot. "wo ilaayachii khilaayake kariib aa gayaa"! man!
> > :)
>
> I have not heard this song, still proposing a few suggestions (mixed
> with some aimless ramblings), based on what are more commonly seen
> spellings for some of the words. You may choose to discard some of
> these suggestions if you think the lyricist/MD/singer might have
> intentionally used a particular spelling/pronunciation for some word,
> say, to keep the rustic feel of the lyrics, though, considering that
> you chose to transcribe Gilaaf, Kilaaf etc using the "with-nuqta" form
> of letters, I am inclined to think you didn't intentionally avoid the
> "with-nuqta" form for some other words ...

Actually, I did that intentionally. I followed (at least tried to
follow) the pronunciation. Moreover, the "environment" of the song
dictates the "desii" usage of some nuqtaa-yukt letters. That explains
jaalim, kasoor, kariib in the song below. At the same time, Gilaaf and
Kilaaf are pronounced in their original form in the song (somewhat to
my surprise). So take it as you will.

ho sakataa hai ki Gulzar ne ye pa.nktiyaa.N na pa.Dhii ho.n par yahaa.N
to ulTaa siddh ho rahaa hai. Gulzar to Khud yahii i.ngit karate lag
rahe hai.n :). ye aapase kisane kahaa ki gaane me.n sa.nvaad ek
"typical" naayak-naayikaa kaa hai. darasal gaane kaa a.ndaaz tamaashe
waalaa hai jahaa.N "jaa pa.Dosii ke chuulhe se aag la_i le" kahanaa
"suggestive" ho sakataa hai (balki mai.n to soch rahaa huu.N ki isapar
Gulzar ko bhalaa-buraa kahanaa kab shuruu hogaa ;)) par logically Galat
nahii.n.

ek baat kahuu.N - aap ye gaanaa suniye. aapake gile-shikawe shaayad
kuchh kam ho jaae.Nge "hamaare" Gulzaar saahab se, LOL.

aur saahab, rahiim kii lokapriyataa sirf saahityaanuraagiyo.n tak
kahaa.N siimit hai. ham jaise sa.Dak-chhaap-gaane pasa.nd karane waale
bhii unhe.n pa.Dhate aur maanate hai.n.

> > sukh:
> > (na kasuur, na fatuur) 2
>
> Shouldn't it be "na qasoor, na fatuur"?

Here's an interesting thing. The 'fa' (at several places), 'Ga' and
'Ka' (just one word each - Gilaaf, Kilaaf) sounds have been retained in
the song by singers. Other nuqtaa sounds 'qa' and 'za' (at several
places) have been eliminated.

> > sukh:
> > ho na to chakkuo.n kii dhaar
> > ho na taraatii na kaTaar
> > na to chakkuo.n kii dhaar
> > na taraatii na kaTaar
>
> I think both places above "taraatii" should be changed to "daraa.Ntii".
> I don't know if "taraatii" is a valid word in Hindi. The context here
> suggests it should be "daraa.Ntii" (which, as you know, is same as the
> "ha.Nsiyaa", and is used in the fields, by the "kisaan" referred below)
> :-)

daraa.Ntii hii hogaa. sukhwindar, jaisaa mai.nne pahale likhaa, kuchh
zyaadaa hii maze me.n aa gaye hai.n yahaa.N. mujhe kuchh 'taraatii'
jaisaa hii sunaaii diyaa.

Thanks for the corrections and comments.

Regards,

Vinay