Desperate ... help ..Yamaha keyboard/MIDI files

vijay...@my-deja.com

Nov 28, 2008, 11:42:57 PM11/28/08
I need some help with a Yamaha PSR keyboard...

I bought the MIDI cable, connected the keyboard to the computer and
successfully transfered the songs that my daughter recorded on
the keyboard to the computer..

Now, I have a 121KB blob sitting on my hard disk - 05pk.usr
and I have now clue how to convert that to a MIDI file that I can open
with
the MuseScore software that I downloaded.

Has anyone successfully converted the Yamaha 05pk.usr file to
MIDI format?

I need to get this done this weekend to meet a Monday
deadline.

Vijay

UVR

Nov 29, 2008, 11:45:48 AM11/29/08
On Nov 28, 8:42 pm, "vijaykum...@my-deja.com" <vijaykum...@my-

I don't have a solution for your problem, but a workaround that might
work: connect the audio-out (headphone output?) of the keyboard to
your computer's line-in, play the midi files on the keyboard and
record them on the computer using your favorite sound recording
software. I realize this could interfere with the quality of the
recorded sound, but something is better than nothing, right?

-UVR.

vijay...@my-deja.com

Nov 30, 2008, 11:14:15 PM11/30/08

I did scour other web-sites to see if anyone had a solution..
What I learnt is that there are many who have the same problem,
and have found Yamaha tech support singularly unhelpful, but
no one that had a solution.

I *did* find two other pieces of freeware
MIDIPiano (version 1.8.5), and MuseScore (v 0.9.3) that I found
to be useful.

The first allows the computer to be used as a keyboard so that
you can play your song on the computer directly (you can even
configure the keyboard) and record the result as a MIDI file.

The second, takes the MIDI file and generates musical score
for that song.

A useful combination, but the quality of sound from MIDIPiano
is certainly not as rich as even the basic Yamaha keyboard I
have at home. And when I opened the MIDI file generated by
MIDIPiano using MuseScore, and played the song there, I found
that the score had not been reproduced with the same fidelity.

Ultimately, I have settled on using a combination of the two...

Your suggestion was my back-up plan all along, and that is what
I ended up using. My daughter played her composition on the
regular Yamaha keyboard and I recorded that, ultimately using
Goldwave to finesse it and cut the CD. I also used the score
generated by MuseScore to back up the sound track on the CD.

Vijay

Sunil Dandekar

Dec 2, 2008, 1:29:56 PM12/2/08
On Dec 1, 9:14 am, "vijaykum...@my-deja.com" <vijaykum...@my-deja.com>
wrote:
> Vijay- Hide quoted text -

Vijay,

Saw your post too late. I have not used Yamaha keyboards at
all,however when you save the song,
do you get an option to save it as a midi? Usually all reputed brands
have facility to save song
in the proprietory format or the midi.

If the feature is available then you can copy the file in the midi to
your PC and open and process it
using any of your favourite DAW software.

As you may be aware , midi format is not really a music format,but a
set of messages corresponding
to each note played. As such most of the keyboards do not have a
facility for conversion to midi from
the native format.

The quality of the sound depends on the MIDI wavetable being used by
the PC or the digital audio work
station. If you have not installed any specific wave table or patch
liabrary then the default is Microsoft
GM wavetable and yes, the sounds are really really elementary, tinny
and artificial.

However I have seen the performance of some of the commercial patch
libraries and the sounds are
awesome. The one that I know that gives awesome results is the Edirol
patch library.

regards,

Sunil

vijay...@my-deja.com

Dec 2, 2008, 3:49:03 PM12/2/08
> all, however when you save the song,

> do you get an option to save it as a midi? Usually all reputed
> brands have facility to save song
> in the proprietory format or the midi.

Nope...no options in terms of format. You have a "one-key"
back up facility to save the song on the keyboard. Then,
you have something called the "MusicSoft downloader" from
Yamaha which you install on the computer and use that
to transfer the file from the keyboard to your computer.
By the way, although you can save up to five songs on the
keyboard, the download function bundles them all together
into one file - the aforementioned 05PK.usr file.

The same "MusicSoft downlader" program allows you to
transfer MIDI files *to* the keyboard, which is supposed
to let you use the feature on the keyboard that shows
the keys to use. I did not try the transfers in the
other direction, but some of the web scouring I undertook
indicated that this does not work either.

> If the feature is available then you can copy the file in the
> midi to your PC and open and process it
> using any of your favourite DAW software.
>
> As you may be aware , midi format is not really a music format,
> but a set of messages corresponding
> to each note played. As such most of the keyboards do not have a
> facility for conversion to midi from
> the native format.
>
> The quality of the sound depends on the MIDI wavetable being
> used by the PC or the digital audio work station. If you have
> not installed any specific wave table or patch liabrary then
> the default is Microsoft GM wavetable and yes, the sounds are
> really really elementary, tinny and artificial.

MuseScore had a reasonably rich sound when I tried to open
other MIDI files that are already on my computer (c:\winnt\media).
It is just that the reproduction from the MIDI file created
by MIDIPiano was sub-standard. I think the blame for that
should lie with MIDIPiano

> However I have seen the performance of some of the commercial patch
> libraries and the sounds are
> awesome. The one that I know that gives awesome results is the
> Edirol patch library.
>
> regards,
>
> Sunil

Next time I have an occasion to use one, I shall remember
this. Thanks for your inputs.

Vijay

Jørgen

Dec 3, 2008, 6:24:24 AM12/3/08
On 2 Dec., 21:49, "vijaykum...@my-deja.com" <vijaykum...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> [...]

> > the default is Microsoft GM wavetable and yes, the sounds are
> > really really elementary, tinny and artificial.
>
> MuseScore had a reasonably rich sound when I tried to open
> otherMIDIfiles that are already on my computer (c:\winnt\media).
> It is just that the reproduction from theMIDIfile created

> by MIDIPiano was sub-standard. I think the blame for that
> should lie with MIDIPiano
>
> > However I have seen the performance of some of the commercial patch
> > libraries and the sounds are
> > awesome. The one that I know that gives awesome results is the
> > Edirol patch library.
>
> > regards,
>
> > Sunil
>
> Next time I have an occasion to use one, I shall remember
> this. Thanks for your inputs.
>
> Vijay- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
>
> - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -

Hi

I think you will get all help and information you need if you address
your question to one of the forums listed at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/fora.htm

Jørgen

vijay...@my-deja.com

Dec 4, 2008, 11:55:38 PM12/4/08

Following up on Jorgen's hint, I came across this post on the forum
http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1853
I have a Yamaha YPT-300, which is the same as the PSR E-303.

The manual says, MIDI "Song Out" is disabled for built-in songs and
user songs.

However, I tried it and it totally works - I'm even able to copy (most
of) the 100 or so built-in songs. (except the ones with studio
copyright, I think, e.g. song 2, Lion King).

Just connect MIDI-OUT of the keyboard to MIDI-IN of anything. For
example, my connection looks like this:

USB Port on Computer <-- Roland EDIROL UM-2EX USB-MIDI Adaptor (MIDI-
IN) <-- Yamaha PSR-E303 Keyboard (MIDI-OUT).

To record a song on the computer (I use linux...so I don't use the
Yamaha software).

if your midi port is 20:0, do this:
arecordmidi -p 20:0 -s furelise.mid <enter>

then go to the song you want to record, and press the PLAY button on
the keyboard.

The keyboard still plays the sound, and the music is also transferred
to the MIDI-OUT port of the keyboard. (forget the keyboard's PC modes,
they're not useful)

I also tried to connect the MIDI-OUT to the MIDI-IN of a Roland
SoundCanvas (old one, SC-155) just for the heck of it.

Roland SoundCanvas (MIDI-IN) <-- Yamaha PSR-E303 Keyboard (MIDI-OUT).

it plays the Yamaha built-in songs! Smile but the Yamaha, even this
low-end keyboard, most of the times sounds better than the old SC-155
(probably since the demo songs use XG - but considering the $600 price
tag of a SC-155 in 1993, technology has gone a long way!)

On Windows XP, I believe the procedure is similar - the crucial thing
here, is not to use the software that comes with the Yamaha, but use
generic MIDI software.

Happy recording!

Note: To connect from "MIDI-IN" to "MIDI-OUT", you'll need a "male-
male MIDI cable", or a "AT Keyboard DIN-5 cable", or something like
that. Go to a local electronics surplus store and get a 6' cable for
$3.

Last edited by wolfier on Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:06 am; edited 3 times in
total

I have a USB-MIDI Adapter, the M-Audio adapter which I
used for transferring the file to my computer. Can someone
direct me to the Windows equivalent of
arecordmidi -p 20:0 -s furelise.mid <enter>

that wolfier has indicated above?

Vijay

UVR

Dec 5, 2008, 9:38:36 AM12/5/08
On Dec 4, 8:55 pm, "vijaykum...@my-deja.com" <vijaykum...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> I have a USB-MIDI Adapter, the M-Audio adapter which I
> used for transferring the file to my computer. Can someone
> direct me to the Windows equivalent of
> arecordmidi -p 20:0 -s furelise.mid <enter>
>
> that wolfier has indicated above?
>
> Vijay

arecordmidi is a utility to record standard MIDI files. The -p
argument selects the port whence to record, the -s argument points to
the midi file to create. You ought to be able to use any Windows
editing/recording/sequencing software to do the recording on your
Windows box.

A Google search revealed lots of freeware, shareware and pay-only
software that may be useful:

[1] http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/win95/MIDI_SEQUENCERS/freeware/
(warning: MANY ads)
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MIDI_editors_and_sequencers

-UVR.

vijay...@my-deja.com

Dec 6, 2008, 3:22:37 PM12/6/08

OK... One final post on this topic.

I finally managed all the parts. Thanks to all who contributed
on this thread.

Here is what I did.

1. Get a MIDI-USB adapter (M-audio is the one I bought)
2. Install a sequencer on the Windows computer (I used
freeware - Anvil)
3. Connect MIDI out of keyboard and USB port on computer
using the adapter.
4. Get a MIDI-in enabled sound card for the computer (one of
my computers did not have it, the other did)
5. Hit "Record" on Anvil.
6. Play the song on the keyboard and watch as it gets
recorded (and scored) on Anvil.

Anvil gives you options to save the output as MIDI, Wave
etc. and also provides options to edit the track before
you save.

In time for my daughter's next project :-)

Vijay