RMIM Puraskaar 2008 nominations are open

Vinay

Jan 2, 2009, 11:06:02 AM1/2/09
Hi all,

It's that time of the year again. Let's find out what worthwhile music
came out of 2008. To start, point your browsers to the Puraskaar home
and nominate your favorite songs of the year.

If you participated last year, the process has changed somewhat.
Instead of selecting albums, you are now supposed to let us know your
favorite songs. Of course you may still choose every single song of an
album. But number of selected songs cannot be more than 30.

The nomination page mentions everything you need to know. Please read
everything carefully and select your albums judiciously before you hit
the submit button. If you have modifications to your entry, simply
submit a new one using the same name and email id. Only your last
received entry will be considered valid.

The nomination process will remain open at least until mid-January.

So revisit the year, note what you liked and submit your entry. And
please spread the word too; the more nominations, the better. The URL
is:

http://awards.giitaayan.com/

Some other related links:
* A list of Hindi movies released in 2008 - http://awards.giitaayan.com/2008/films2008.htm
* Last year's puraskRRits - http://awards.giitaayan.com/2007/indexen.htm
* Introductory post of the Puraskaar - http://giitaayan.blogspot.com/2007/02/rmim-puraskaar.html

--
Vinay
http://awards.giitaayan.com/

vijay...@my-deja.com

Jan 2, 2009, 2:36:34 PM1/2/09
On Jan 2, 11:06 am, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's that time of the year again. Let's find out what worthwhile music
> came out of 2008. To start, point your browsers to the Puraskaar home
> and nominate your favorite songs of the year.
>
> If you participated last year, the process has changed somewhat.
> Instead of selecting albums, you are now supposed to let us know your
> favorite songs. Of course you may still choose every single song of an
> album. But number of selected songs cannot be more than 30.
>
> The nomination page mentions everything you need to know. Please read
> everything carefully and select your albums judiciously before you hit
> the submit button. If you have modifications to your entry, simply
> submit a new one using the same name and email id. Only your last
> received entry will be considered valid.
>
> The nomination process will remain open at least until mid-January.
>
> So revisit the year, note what you liked and submit your entry. And
> please spread the word too; the more nominations, the better. The URL
> is:
>
> http://awards.giitaayan.com/
>
> Some other related links:
> * A list of Hindi movies released in 2008 -http://awards.giitaayan.com/2008/films2008.htm
> * Last year's puraskRRits -http://awards.giitaayan.com/2007/indexen.htm

> * Introductory post of the Puraskaar -http://giitaayan.blogspot.com/2007/02/rmim-puraskaar.html
>
> --
> Vinayhttp://awards.giitaayan.com/

Vinay,
If I am not mistaken, we had initially considered a
"nomination" period, if not process. This looks like
it is voting straight away.

In my mind, the process would have two steps
1. Nomination. People nominate the songs they
think are deserving. Hopefully, the nominations
will include audio or links of the nominated
songs. Once the nomination period ends, and the
nominations have been "cleaned up" (no duplicates,
check year of release etc.) voting can begin.
2. Voting: during this period, people will get a
chance to listen to songs others have nominated.
The population of "voters" and "nominators" need
not be overlapping.

Once the voting deadline expires, the results
can be collated and announced.

Please forgive me if this is the way the process
is expected to work, and I have simply misunderstood
it. Otherwise, consider this suggestion.

Vijay

vijay...@my-deja.com

Jan 2, 2009, 2:46:29 PM1/2/09
On Jan 2, 11:06 am, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's that time of the year again. Let's find out what worthwhile
> music came out of 2008. To start, point your browsers to the
> Puraskaar home and nominate your favorite songs of the year.
>
> http://awards.giitaayan.com/

I do not listen to much contemporary music..I would
be grateful if RMIMers can post "recommended" songs
from 2008 for me to sample, and to subsequently
vote.

Let me get the ball rolling by recommending two
songs I have written of before
- ek lau is tarah kyo.n bujhii (Aamir)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYFyR9kerFA
- terii merii priit to saajan (Ramchand Pakistani)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4BJ2F4xFeA

Vijay

Vinay

Jan 2, 2009, 4:24:00 PM1/2/09
On Jan 2, 2:36 pm, "vijaykum...@my-deja.com" <vijaykum...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

Why do you think so?

> In my mind, the process would have two steps
> 1. Nomination. People nominate the songs they
> think are deserving. Hopefully, the nominations
> will include audio or links of the nominated
> songs. Once the nomination period ends, and the
> nominations have been "cleaned up" (no duplicates,
> check year of release etc.) voting can begin.
> 2. Voting: during this period, people will get a
> chance to listen to songs others have nominated.
> The population of "voters" and "nominators" need
> not be overlapping.
>
> Once the voting deadline expires, the results
> can be collated and announced.

I think that's pretty much how it is.

We are currently in the nomination stage. People are supposed to
submit their favorite songs. After we get a list of nominated songs, a
"jury process" begins to evaluate and rate the songs.

Vinay

Narsingh

Jan 3, 2009, 12:40:47 AM1/3/09
I am surprised to learn that there were good songs in 2008. I was
under the impression that melody disappeared from Hindi film music
sometimes in late sixties. (You guessed it: I don't watch new movies).
Narsingh

UVR

Jan 4, 2009, 12:16:17 AM1/4/09

Well, the good thing about Hindi film music is that you don't have to
watch the films in order to listen to good Hindi film songs :)

But seriously, maybe we can all take a leaf from our dear friend Kalra-
ji's book and make a resolution this new year to be a little more
curious about current Hindi film music. I am.

-UVR.

hildebrand

Jan 4, 2009, 10:28:09 AM1/4/09
> - ek lau is tarah kyo.n bujhii (Aamir)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYFyR9kerFA
> Vijay

Vijay ji
I definitely agree with you about the quality of music of this film.
The MD Amit Trivedi has definitely made a very confident debut. All
the songs of the movie are quite melodious and the lyrics by Amitabh
Varma are also very good. They complement the story line very well.
Hope to see more such good music from the MD.

Hildebrand

Vinay

Jan 8, 2009, 11:41:27 AM1/8/09
This is a reminder that the nominations for 2008 RMIM Puraskaar are
open. Please visit http://awards.giitaayan.com/ and submit your
favorite songs of the year. The submission will close some time after
15th Jan (Thursday), which is just a week away.

Thanks,

Vinay
http://awards.giitaayan.com/

On Jan 2, 11:06 am, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's that time of the year again. Let's find out what worthwhile music
> came out of 2008. To start, point your browsers to the Puraskaar home
> and nominate your favorite songs of the year.
>
> If you participated last year, the process has changed somewhat.
> Instead of selecting albums, you are now supposed to let us know your
> favorite songs. Of course you may still choose every single song of an
> album. But number of selected songs cannot be more than 30.
>
> The nomination page mentions everything you need to know. Please read
> everything carefully and select your albums judiciously before you hit
> the submit button. If you have modifications to your entry, simply
> submit a new one using the same name and email id. Only your last
> received entry will be considered valid.
>
> The nomination process will remain open at least until mid-January.
>
> So revisit the year, note what you liked and submit your entry. And
> please spread the word too; the more nominations, the better. The URL
> is:
>
> http://awards.giitaayan.com/
>
> Some other related links:

UVR

Jan 8, 2009, 12:18:10 PM1/8/09
On Jan 8, 8:41 am, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a reminder that the nominations for 2008 RMIM Puraskaar are
> open. Please visithttp://awards.giitaayan.com/and submit your

> favorite songs of the year. The submission will close some time after
> 15th Jan (Thursday), which is just a week away.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vinayhttp://awards.giitaayan.com/

Two weeks from open to close seems a rather short time to solicit
sufficient feedback. Why not extend it until the end of the month?

-UVR.

Vinay

Jan 9, 2009, 9:48:25 AM1/9/09
On Jan 8, 12:18 pm, UVR <u...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 8, 8:41 am, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > This is a reminder that the nominations for 2008 RMIM Puraskaar are
> > open. Please visithttp://awards.giitaayan.com/andsubmit your
> -UVR.- Hide quoted text -

In my experience so far (with previous Puraskaars and SurveykshaNs),
two weeks (covering two full weekends) have proven more than
sufficient. Anything more than that is nothing more than providing
people an excuse to be lazy :).

In any case, I am having about a week's time after the 2-week deadline
as reserve but I plan to use that only if there are enough requests to
extend. So far, I haven't received any except yours. Even yours is a
general suggestion than a personal request.

Vinay

Vinay

Jan 12, 2009, 12:17:00 PM1/12/09
FYI, the last date for submitting your nominations is Jan. 17th, the
coming Saturday. The voting will close some time on Sunday. If you
haven't, please submit your choices by then. The URL is:

http://awards.giitaayan.com/

Thanks,

Vinay

On Jan 8, 11:41 am, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a reminder that the nominations for 2008 RMIM Puraskaar are

> open. Please visithttp://awards.giitaayan.com/and submit your

> favorite songs of the year. The submission will close some time after
> 15th Jan (Thursday), which is just a week away.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Vinayhttp://awards.giitaayan.com/

> On Jan 2, 11:06 am, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
>
> > It's that time of the year again. Let's find out what worthwhile music
> > came out of 2008. To start, point your browsers to the Puraskaar home
> > and nominate your favorite songs of the year.
>
> > If you participated last year, the process has changed somewhat.
> > Instead of selecting albums, you are now supposed to let us know your
> > favorite songs. Of course you may still choose every single song of an
> > album. But number of selected songs cannot be more than 30.
>
> > The nomination page mentions everything you need to know. Please read
> > everything carefully and select your albums judiciously before you hit
> > the submit button. If you have modifications to your entry, simply
> > submit a new one using the same name and email id. Only your last
> > received entry will be considered valid.
>
> > The nomination process will remain open at least until mid-January.
>
> > So revisit the year, note what you liked and submit your entry. And
> > please spread the word too; the more nominations, the better. The URL
> > is:
>
> >http://awards.giitaayan.com/
>
> > Some other related links:
> > * A list of Hindi movies released in 2008 -http://awards.giitaayan.com/2008/films2008.htm
> > * Last year's puraskRRits -http://awards.giitaayan.com/2007/indexen.htm
> > * Introductory post of the Puraskaar -http://giitaayan.blogspot.com/2007/02/rmim-puraskaar.html
>
> > --

> > Vinayhttp://awards.giitaayan.com/- Hide quoted text -

vijay...@my-deja.com

Jan 12, 2009, 12:45:25 PM1/12/09
On Jan 12, 12:17 pm, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI, the last date for submitting your nominations is Jan. 17th, the
> coming Saturday. The voting will close some time on Sunday. If you
> haven't, please submit your choices by then. The URL is:
>
> http://awards.giitaayan.com/
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vinay
>
> On Jan 8, 11:41 am, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > This is a reminder that the nominations for 2008 RMIM Puraskaar are
> > open. Please visithttp://awards.giitaayan.com/andsubmit your
> > > Vinayhttp://awards.giitaayan.com/-Hide quoted text -

Vinay,
I am confused about the process for the RMIM
puruskaars.

Are we voting, or are we sending in nominations?

If we are voting, doesn't it make sense for
some "canvassing" to take place? Shouldn't
RMIMers get a chance to extol the virtues of
whatever song they fancy, so that other RMIMers
are inspired to listen and add their votes to
the kitty?

If it is nominations, what is the process
to be followed to winnow all the nominations
into a handful of eventual winners. Is there
a jury process that follows the nominations
or are all the nominees going to be thrown
open for voting?

I am sorry if you have covered this in prior
years, and would appreciate if you can
clarify this point.

Vijay

Vinay

Jan 12, 2009, 2:48:41 PM1/12/09
On 12 जन, 12:45, "vijaykum...@my-deja.com" <vijaykum...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> Vinay,
> I am confused about the process for the RMIM
> puruskaars.
>
> Are we voting, or are we sending in nominations?
>
> If we are voting, doesn't it make sense for
> some "canvassing" to take place? Shouldn't
> RMIMers get a chance to extol the virtues of
> whatever song they fancy, so that other RMIMers
> are inspired to listen and add their votes to
> the kitty?
>
> If it is nominations, what is the process
> to be followed to winnow all the nominations
> into a handful of eventual winners. Is there
> a jury process that follows the nominations
> or are all the nominees going to be thrown
> open for voting?

These are nominations to be followed by a jury process. Once the
nomination process is complete, a shortlist of the most nominated
songs will be analyzed and rated by the jury.

If you check previous year's pages (linked from the awards site) you
will find a list of jury members for those years.

Vinay

vijay...@my-deja.com

Jan 12, 2009, 3:02:48 PM1/12/09

> > Vinay,
> > I am confused about the process for the RMIM
> > puruskaars.
>
> > Are we voting, or are we sending in nominations?
>
> > If we are voting, doesn't it make sense for
> > some "canvassing" to take place? Shouldn't
> > RMIMers get a chance to extol the virtues of
> > whatever song they fancy, so that other RMIMers
> > are inspired to listen and add their votes to
> > the kitty?
>
> > If it is nominations, what is the process
> > to be followed to winnow all the nominations
> > into a handful of eventual winners. Is there
> > a jury process that follows the nominations
> > or are all the nominees going to be thrown
> > open for voting?
>
> These are nominations to be followed by a jury process. Once the
> nomination process is complete, a shortlist of the most nominated
> songs will be analyzed and rated by the jury.
>
> If you check previous year's pages (linked from the awards site)
> you will find a list of jury members for those years.
>
> Vinay

Thanks... but if it is a jury process, why
should the jury restrict itself to "the
most nominated" songs? Even one nomination
should suffice to bring the song to the jury's
attention, and if it is a worthwhile candidate,
win the prize.

I know the jury is an all-volunteer force, and
it would stretch the resources and the time if
every song nominated had to be given due
scrutiny. But the set is surely finite - about
a 1000 songs or less in the entire year, and
those nominated are surely not more than 50-100.

I'll be filling out the nomination form for
the two songs I have posted earlier in
this thread.

Vijay

UVR

Jan 12, 2009, 3:52:13 PM1/12/09
On Jan 12, 9:45 am, "vijaykum...@my-deja.com" <vijaykum...@my-

deja.com> wrote:

> If we are voting, doesn't it make sense for
> some "canvassing" to take place? Shouldn't
> RMIMers get a chance to extol the virtues of
> whatever song they fancy, so that other RMIMers
> are inspired to listen and add their votes to
> the kitty?

But Vijay, RMIMers can (, should, and do) canvas for their favorite
songs regardless of whether we're voting for a Puraskaar or not,
right? I'm not sure what exactly is preventing the canvassing just
because we're in the last two weeks of the nomination process. If you
like a particular song immensely, just make a post on RMIM saying how
great it is and why you think it's wonderful. Actually, you don't
even need to do the latter (why you think it's wonderful).

-UVR.

vijay...@my-deja.com

Jan 12, 2009, 6:21:31 PM1/12/09

I did. I do not listen to much current-day music. I listed
the only two songs from 2008 that caught my attention.

Vinay posts Navgeet from time to time. You have posted
a couple.

I did not see any other RMIMer do so.

What other canvassing takes place?

The problem I have with the process is that the "jury
process" is predicated upon a "most nominated" minimum
threshold. That means it is essentially a voting process.
Voting is democratic only if electioneering happens.
Otherwise, every TPLAC with a dictatorship and one-party
regime is also a thriving democracy.

I have faith in the jury, just not in the process. If
a great song went un-noticed and received just one
nomination, would the song get the jury's attention?
If it gets no nominations, well, when a tree falls
in a forest...

I have been trying to find songs from other 2008 films
Vinay listed so helpfully..so far have not found
anything very interesting. Any pointers?

Vijay

Vinay

Jan 12, 2009, 7:24:50 PM1/12/09
On Jan 12, 3:02 pm, "vijaykum...@my-deja.com" <vijaykum...@my-

First of all, they have indeed turned out to more than 100 in last two
years. It is unfair to ask a volunteer jury to *listen to* and rate as
many songs, regardless of the time given to them. Besides, that is
likely to suffer the quality of the ratings as well.

Now how do we know how much is sufficient. I am trying to come up with
that number based on the general feedback of the jury members. It may
vary every year -- indeed it has so far -- but the idea is to cover as
much as possible without it being a burden on the jury. To give you an
idea, last year it turned out to be absurdly high number of about 100.
I intend and hope to keep it much less this year.

Vinay

Vinay

Jan 12, 2009, 7:35:06 PM1/12/09
On Jan 12, 6:21 pm, "vijaykum...@my-deja.com" <vijaykum...@my-

As I wrote in another response to your post, you have to limit the
number somewhere. It is not feasible to pass on all nominated songs to
the jury. Theoretically it is possible that some great song may remain
unnominated. All we are trying to do is to minimize those instances.
Besides, if not enough people share your opinion about what you think
is a "great" song, well, may be it's not that great :).

Vinay

UVR

Jan 14, 2009, 9:32:15 AM1/14/09
On Jan 12, 4:35 pm, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:

> As I wrote in another response to your post, you have to limit the
> number somewhere. It is not feasible to pass on all nominated songs to
> the jury. Theoretically it is possible that some great song may remain
> unnominated. All we are trying to do is to minimize those instances.
> Besides, if not enough people share your opinion about what you think
> is a "great" song, well, may be it's not that great :).
>
> Vinay

I am not sure I necessarily agree with the last sentence above,
Vinay. If not enough people nominate a particular song, it just means
that the song wasn't a "popular" choice amongst the nominating group
of people. It does not necessarily mean that the song wasn't great :)

> > I have been trying to find songs from other 2008 films
> > Vinay listed so helpfully..so far have not found
> > anything very interesting. Any pointers?
>
> > Vijay

These days I'm listening to Ghajini and Luck by Chance. Rock On songs
(all of them) were an instant favorite with my 4 year old and I too
would recommend that soundtrack wholeheartedly. Isn't Jodhaa Akbar a
2008 film? Pretty good songs, at least a couple of them. I also
remember liking Alvida (Kailash Kher) and Muskura (Sonu Nigam) from
Dasvidaniya when I saw the film. I've also liked a song or two from
other films, Singh is Kinng, Dostana, Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na, Tashan
(yes), Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, ... (I'm just listing film names from
memory here and I'm going to stop now).

-UVR.

vijay...@my-deja.com

Jan 15, 2009, 12:29:16 AM1/15/09

Thanks for that... I tried out some of those..
came across one that caught my ear, so to say...
"laT ulajhe sulajhaa jaa baalam" (manmohini morey/Yuvraaj)

Vijay

Ketan

Jan 15, 2009, 2:17:40 PM1/15/09
In article <2a43c4ff-feef-4d97...@w34g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
vijay...@my-deja.com says...

>On Jan 14, 9:32=A0am, UVR <u...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> On Jan 12, 4:35=A0pm, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > As I wrote in another response to your post, you have to limit the
>> > number somewhere. It is not feasible to pass on all nominated songs to
>> > the jury. Theoretically it is possible that some great song may remain
>> > unnominated. All we are trying to do is to minimize those instances.
>> > Besides, if not enough people share your opinion about what you think
>> > is a "great" song, well, may be it's not that great :).
>>
>> > Vinay

What's the decision regarding "Slumdog Millionaire"? Is it a Hindi
movie(one-third is in Hindi) or not? Since it was officially released in
2008(although in 2009 January in India) do we get to nominate it now? If the
answer is yes to the second question, do we really need to go thru the
nominate/vote/jury process? :)

Ketan

Vinay

Jan 15, 2009, 2:34:51 PM1/15/09
On Jan 15, 2:17 pm, Ketan <Ketan_mem...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> In article <2a43c4ff-feef-4d97-a080-4058c80a1...@w34g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
> vijaykum...@my-deja.com says...

It was not released in India as a Hindi movie in 2008. May be next
year when it is :).

Vinay

> Ketan

Vinay

Jan 16, 2009, 11:34:13 AM1/16/09
The nomination process will end on this Sunday sometime. You have
about two days to nominate your favorite songs. Please do so if you
haven't so far.

http://awards.giitaayan.com/

Vinay