Is the song from Do Gunde (1959) or Rajhath (1956)?

Narsingh

Mar 31, 2009, 8:20:26 PM3/31/09
Song: sun sakhii more man kii baat ... nadiyaa kinaare phiroo.n pyasii

A contributor claims to have the DVD/VCD of Do Gunde (1959, Ghulam
Mohd.) from which he uploaded this video clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4OaCaKg0Ac

HFGK, volume 3 (page 318) as well as the CD issued by EMI lists this
song as being from Rajhath (1956). I am on the west coast and left all
my DVDs and CDs in New Jersey. Could someone with a DVD of Rajhath
check to see if this song appears in that movie.
Narsingh

surjit singh

Mar 31, 2009, 11:41:28 PM3/31/09

In my copy of Rajhath DVD the song does not appear. From the comments
on youtube it looks like it is from Do Gunde. From the record numbers,
it appears to have been recorded for Rajhath. The music and style
appears to be that of SJ in Rajhath. I have forwarded it to Har Mandir
for his comments.

surjit singh

Mar 31, 2009, 11:43:59 PM3/31/09

On the other hand, since both movies are produced by Sohrab Modi under
Minerva Movietone, and records are made much before the filming, it
may be a simple case of a song being created for one movie and used in
a later one. Other examples exist.

Aditya

Apr 1, 2009, 12:52:47 AM4/1/09
> a later one. Other examples exist.- Hide quoted text -

As someone who iniated this debate on youtube, I'm very curious to
know that if this song was recorded for Raj Hath but used in Do Gunde,
was it credited to SJ in Do Gunde?

Aditya

Afzal A. Khan

Apr 1, 2009, 12:57:22 AM4/1/09
Narsingh wrote:

> Narsingh

Both films might have been produced by Sohrab Modi (under his
banner Minerva Movietone), as stated by Prof. Surjit Singh, but
I am positive that the song in question is NOT from "Rajhath".
This Madhubala starrer is one of my favourite film music
albums. SJ at their best. There were 9 or 10 songs in the
film. I had also seen the film a few times and I do not recall
this song at all.

I had seen "Do Gunde" too, but it was not commercially successful.
Even the music was not all that popular, except for a couple of
songs. The star-cast too was rather B class. Ajit and KumKum
were the lead players. Raaj Kumar had not become the sort of
'cult' actor that he later became. But this particular song
does seem to be from "Do Gunde". In the video, Jayshree Gadkar
is easily recognizable and she did act in the movie.

Afzal

Sukesh

Apr 1, 2009, 6:24:09 AM4/1/09

The record no is N 52004 and the flip side has the song - pyaare
baabul se bichhaD ke from Raj Hath by Lata Mangeshkar. So the song
must have been composed by Shankar Jaikishan in 1955/56, but used in
Do Gunde.

Regards
Sukesh

Snehasis

Apr 1, 2009, 1:17:38 PM4/1/09

The record no will be N 52064 for the song - pyaare baabul se bichhaD
ke from Raj Hath by Lata Mangeshkar. Sun sakhi more man kii baat ...
nadiyaa kinaare phiroo.n pyasii used in Do Gunde.
Snehasis Chatterjee

Afzal A. Khan

Apr 3, 2009, 12:08:27 AM4/3/09
Snehasis wrote:

> [...]

>>> Afzal

> Snehasis Chatterjee

It is now established that the song in question is from
"Do Gunde".

I think the cause of confusion may have been a song from
"Rajhath" which occurs towards the end of the film :

Aa ja aa ja aa ja nadiya kinaare, taaroN ki chhaiyya.....

Afzal